April 25, 2024, 07:18:54 PM

Author Topic: The "new" Zidane  (Read 6440 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
The "new" Zidane
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:49:45 AM »
Check this youngster out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FKWOn4qGA
Tried posting the video in flash below but dunno if it will work.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18022009/58/premier-league-chelsea-eye-new-zidane.html
Premier League - Chelsea 'eye new Zidane'
Eurosport - Wed, 18 Feb 17:19:00 2009

Chelsea are reportedly tracking a six-year-old wonderkid who had been dubbed the new Zinedine Zidane.

According to The Sun newspaper, Madin Mohammed has caught the Premier League club's eye after footage of his skills were circulated on the internet.

The clips, which showcase the youngster's impressive repertoire of step-overs, nutmegs and flicks, have been viewed more than a million times on one video sharing website.

Madin's tricks have pricked the interest of Chelsea, who are thought to be keenly monitoring his progress. The report claims Spanish giants Real Madrid are also interested.

"He has an amazing talent. He plays every day and has a great passion for football," Christian Lazaoui, president of Madin's local club Roubaix.

"He can cross the ball, control it, swerve, pass between the legs - he is spectacular with the ball ... he really is magic with it."

France legend Zidane retired from the game after a glorious career which ended in an explosive World Cup final in 2006 during which he was sent off for headbutting Marco Materazzi.

Ever since, the French public have desperately been searching for the 'new Zidane'; the similarities between Madin and the former Real Madrid and Juventus player make the youngster an obvious candidate for the future.

Zidane was born in Marseille to Algerian parents while Madin's family moved from Algeria to France three years ago.

As such, the youngster will be eligible to play for France and he has already been handed a scholarship by the French Football Federation.

Mike Hytner / Eurosport

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FKWOn4qGA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FKWOn4qGA</a>
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The "new" Zidane
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »
... and the expected response from a Manchester United man, Paul Parker, who was never ever bothered by this before, to the point where he needed to write an article about it.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/paul-parker/article/2485/

Let kids be kids
Wed Feb 18 02:42PM

Whilst reports that a six-year-old child is being tracked by some of Europe's top clubs failed to surprise me, I nevertheless found the claims unsettling.
Clubs are targeting ever-younger kids in a desperate bid to gain an edge over their rivals.

They've been doing it for years on the continent but I simply cannot agree with this practice, for a number of reasons.

Six-year-old children are just that: they are children. They are developing every day as people and to pigeonhole them so early on in their lives is wrong.

Sure, this kid, 'the new Zidane', may love playing football every day of his life at the moment - which kids of that age don't? - but who's to say he will in another 10 years? Or another five? Or even by next month?

Kids chop and change their interests all the time as they respond to different experiences all around them. They may think they know what they want to do in life from an early age, but more often than not they will change their minds - and not just once.

Clubs who show an interest in a boy at such a young age can seriously limit a child's capacity to alter the path of his life, considering the prospect of being a top footballer tends to be seen as too great an opportunity to pass up on.

As such, kids are expected to give their all, right from the start, and the pressure resulting from that is horrendous. So extreme, it can hamper a child's development.

Far better to leave the kid well alone, let him play every day with his mates in the park and for his team at the weekend and then see if he's still interested in several years time.

My career only started to get serious at the age of 16, when I signed my apprenticeship forms with Fulham. Before then, I'd taken part in a training camp organised by Fulham in Dagenham, but there was no pressure to succeed and no assessment of my skills.

At the age of six, I had no serious thoughts of playing professional football as a career. At that age, you can't. By the time I reached 11, I had more of an idea, so I went down to Dagenham and continued playing, but only because I enjoyed it.

Of course, in many cases, these kids are pushed by their parents and I think they have a lot to answer for. I think it is unforgiveable to allow a child to be so scrutinised at such a young age.

And what about the physical development of the child? At the age of six, it is very difficult to predict how a boy will turn out in terms of physique, which of course is all-important in the modern game. At that age, every year sees a huge change in body shape and form - some kids keep on growing even until they're 21.

And should the child not quite live up to expectations, either in terms of skill or stature, there will come an inevitable point of rejection. Rejection is difficult enough to deal with as a teenager or even as an adult, but as a young child?

That could really do some lasting damage.

1 name: Tiger Woods.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »
i thought Nasri was the new Zidane.....anywayz I'm not a fan of the "new" label...

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:00:20 AM »
i thought Nasri was the new Zidane.....anywayz I'm not a fan of the "new" label...

I thought it was Benzema. Or was it Ribery?

Anyone remember when Ariel Ortega was the "new" Maradona? Then it was D'Alessandro. Then it was Romagnoli. Then Tevez. Then Messi....
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 06:46:34 AM »
What?  Zeps, no mention of Freddy?

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:47:57 AM »

And Yoann Gourcuff

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:59:19 AM »
buh wey we new latas ???   
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
it done have the "new zidane." he playing for dortmund & egypt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Zidan

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:42 AM »
buh wey we new latas ???   

lol. Isn't he 2 and already running out for Falkirk?
We need to keep tabs on The Littler Magician. 

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »
pass by the Labasse, yuh go see the new Stern

Més que un club.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »
Whoever want to make silly remarks should realize that is a six year old and yuh cyah laugh at that.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:43:40 AM »
The yute have some nice skills. The video is obviously sped up in certain scenes though.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »
... and the expected response from a Manchester United man, Paul Parker, who was never ever bothered by this before, to the point where he needed to write an article about it.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/paul-parker/article/2485/

Let kids be kids
Wed Feb 18 02:42PM

Whilst reports that a six-year-old child is being tracked by some of Europe's top clubs failed to surprise me, I nevertheless found the claims unsettling.
Clubs are targeting ever-younger kids in a desperate bid to gain an edge over their rivals.

They've been doing it for years on the continent but I simply cannot agree with this practice, for a number of reasons.

Six-year-old children are just that: they are children. They are developing every day as people and to pigeonhole them so early on in their lives is wrong.

Sure, this kid, 'the new Zidane', may love playing football every day of his life at the moment - which kids of that age don't? - but who's to say he will in another 10 years? Or another five? Or even by next month?

Kids chop and change their interests all the time as they respond to different experiences all around them. They may think they know what they want to do in life from an early age, but more often than not they will change their minds - and not just once.

Clubs who show an interest in a boy at such a young age can seriously limit a child's capacity to alter the path of his life, considering the prospect of being a top footballer tends to be seen as too great an opportunity to pass up on.

As such, kids are expected to give their all, right from the start, and the pressure resulting from that is horrendous. So extreme, it can hamper a child's development.

Far better to leave the kid well alone, let him play every day with his mates in the park and for his team at the weekend and then see if he's still interested in several years time.

My career only started to get serious at the age of 16, when I signed my apprenticeship forms with Fulham. Before then, I'd taken part in a training camp organised by Fulham in Dagenham, but there was no pressure to succeed and no assessment of my skills.

At the age of six, I had no serious thoughts of playing professional football as a career. At that age, you can't. By the time I reached 11, I had more of an idea, so I went down to Dagenham and continued playing, but only because I enjoyed it.

Of course, in many cases, these kids are pushed by their parents and I think they have a lot to answer for. I think it is unforgiveable to allow a child to be so scrutinised at such a young age.

And what about the physical development of the child? At the age of six, it is very difficult to predict how a boy will turn out in terms of physique, which of course is all-important in the modern game. At that age, every year sees a huge change in body shape and form - some kids keep on growing even until they're 21.

And should the child not quite live up to expectations, either in terms of skill or stature, there will come an inevitable point of rejection. Rejection is difficult enough to deal with as a teenager or even as an adult, but as a young child?

That could really do some lasting damage.

1 name: Tiger Woods.

emphasis on the 1

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »

Anyone remember when Ariel Ortega was the "new" Maradona? Then it was D'Alessandro. Then it was Romagnoli. Then Tevez. Then Messi....

age for age, Messi is better than Maradona..oh and don't forget Saviola was once touted as the new "Maradona' as well
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:09:41 AM by Filho »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:12:55 AM »

And Yoann Gourcuff

the closest French player to Zidane I've ever seen is a guy called Johan Micoud who would have started every game for France and been a general if it wasn't for Zidane. This guy was class...but never had much of an international career cuz the guy ahead of him was just a little too good

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
age for age, Messi is better than Maradona..oh and don't forget Saviola was once touted as the new "Maradona' as well

that's a strong statement.  Wasn't Maradona arguably the best player in the world going into the '82 WC?  Menotti even say he was good enough for the '78 squad but he had reservations about his age.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »
buh wey we new latas ???   

I tort Tappy still in Scotland  ;D

Was the Firmest not supposed to be him???

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
emphasis on the 1

Lebron James, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Messi .... all child prodigies that have developed into exceptional talents.

The opportunities, schooling, training and development that would be invested in this kid would only make him a better person. Some kids dream to be firemen & policemen ... while parents would point to doctors, lawyers & engineers. This kid is intrigued by football, and demonstrates skill far beyond his age group and peers. So if he likes the sport, why not nurture that talent?

PP brings up .... "And what about the physical development of the child? At the age of six, it is very difficult to predict how a boy will turn out in terms of physique, which of course is all-important in the modern game. At that age, every year sees a huge change in body shape and form - some kids keep on growing even until they're 21" ...

The child will end up being fed and raised healthily. In terms of physique - I wonder which is more important these days - short, compact and stocky like Maradona, Romario, Rooney; short, dimunitive and agile like Messi, Robinho & Del Piero; tall, overpowering and dominant like Drogba, Anelka, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo (R10) ... or in the middle like CRonaldo, Ronaldinho, Pato, Eto'o.

Why is PP not making that arguement instead of trying to fight the youth down because he's probably not going to sign for his old club? - the very club that prides scouting young and budding talent in other countries.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »

that's a strong statement.  Wasn't Maradona arguably the best player in the world going into the '82 WC?  Menotti even say he was good enough for the '78 squad but he had reservations about his age.

No. Diego didn't have that rank yet. He was still playing at Boca and there was a buzz about him, but established players like Zico and Platini came into the tournament with a higher reputation and were really expected to run that tournament. But everyone could see the young Argentine could be something well above the norm. Maradona was also 21 when the 82 world cup came around...Messi is the same age now and to me a better player based on what limited information I have on Diego at the same age playing at Boca..and Messi doing it in a sport that has evolved to be much harder on individually brilliant players. So it's subjective..but that's my take

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
emphasis on the 1

Lebron James, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Messi .... all child prodigies that have developed into exceptional talents.

The opportunities, schooling, training and development that would be invested in this kid would only make him a better person. Some kids dream to be firemen & policemen ... while parents would point to doctors, lawyers & engineers. This kid is intrigued by football, and demonstrates skill far beyond his age group and peers. So if he likes the sport, why not nurture that talent?

PP brings up .... "And what about the physical development of the child? At the age of six, it is very difficult to predict how a boy will turn out in terms of physique, which of course is all-important in the modern game. At that age, every year sees a huge change in body shape and form - some kids keep on growing even until they're 21" ...

The child will end up being fed and raised healthily. In terms of physique - I wonder which is more important these days - short, compact and stocky like Maradona, Romario, Rooney; short, dimunitive and agile like Messi, Robinho & Del Piero; tall, overpowering and dominant like Drogba, Anelka, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo (R10) ... or in the middle like CRonaldo, Ronaldinho, Pato, Eto'o.

Why is PP not making that arguement instead of trying to fight the youth down because he's probably not going to sign for his old club? - the very club that prides scouting young and budding talent in other countries.

I don't think PP fighting down the youth and I didn't mean '1' literally. Just saying it is the exception not the norm. I have no problem with the kid being 'scouted' early. But he's 6....hope they don't put too much pressure on him and let him love the game and have some fun and not think football must be his destiny at such an early age

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
what too too allyuh talking bout maradonna did not have rank as a kid??..allyuh mad yes...
messi to maradonna ???...like ponting to lara...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:38 PM »
what too too allyuh talking bout maradonna did not have rank as a kid??..allyuh mad yes...
messi to maradonna ???...like ponting to lara...

yeah right BM..who say Diego didn't have rank as a kid? you really read that somewhere?

in any case, I was trying to compare 21 year old Messi to 21 year old Diego. not really fair cuz all i have is a few Boca and Barca highlights and WC 82. Whereas I can see Messi every week (actually..that might work against Messi). But, like ah say...age for age, Messi look better to me. Also, from what i've seen and read, when Diego went to Barca after WC 82 he didn't have the kind of influence on the team Messi has. He didn't start to become the complete picture until he went Napoli. And yeah..I giving Messi props for having to do everything Diego did at twice the speed  :devil: Messi eh reach Diego heights yet, but yuh hadda stretch real hard to say that Diego was a different class at 21.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
I like Messi and he will suffer by comparing his short career to a player who had a complete, legendary career.

In other words it could be nostalgia talking but Messi is still not the phenom Diego was as a youth.

Diego was the hope of Argentina as a 12 year old, juggling and skillsing off on TV. Argentinos tap up his family since then and give his pops and family easy work and gifts before they could pay him a salary. The only reason he was not in the 78 squad was because he played the same role as Kempes back then.

As for 82, Platini and Zico were great players in their prime who dominated games. To be honest Messi just doesn't have that kind of competition now. And for Maradona's influence on Barca, he wasn't there long and the team was no good, but he still score goals. Messi blossoming in a team that win the CL when he was breaking through, he has much better talent around him.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
Its all bullshit talking about a 6 year old or 9 or 14 for that matter. No ne can say how a player will evolve.
A youth star today is seldom a star tomorrow. Look at Sinima Pongolo , Mengi & Le Telec(spelling). Everyone was talking about them and they were way ahead on the scale than a 6 or 9 year old. Bergkamp and Zizou were good examples as they did not play for any National youth teams at 17.

Filho I eh so sure about Diego! After the U20,s everybody was anticipating Diego and Ramon Diaz on the World stage. Diego had a fantastic season with Argentina Juniors in 81 and he had lit up England and Scotland on his debut for Argentina. Yes Zico & Platini were the talk of the town, especially Zico as many felt he under achieved in 78. Platini had emerged as a majestic player, but almost all of football was talking about Diego come 82.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
buh wey we new latas ???   

D Soca Warrior solvin dat problem 4 oui.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »
It would only be appropriate to trumpet in The "new" Maradona.
Look for this yute to be rippin it up in WC 2030

Maradona becomes a grandfather
7 hours, 5 minutes ago

MADRID (AP)—Diego Maradona is a grandpa.

The Argentina soccer great and current national team coach became a grandfather when his daughter gave birth to a boy Thursday.

Benjamin Aguero Maradona was born at Madrid’s Monteprincipe hospital.

“The baby, like his mother Giannina Maradona, find themselves in perfect health,” Atletico Madrid’s Web site said.

The father, 20-year-old Sergio Aguero, plays at Atletico and for Argentina’s national team.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »

Messi and Maradona ? lol
When Messi could take a shit Italian side and make them win everything then he could tie Maradona tug lacings.
Do some research on what Maradona do in Napoli.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:46 AM »

Messi and Maradona ? lol
When Messi could take a shit Italian side and make them win everything then he could tie Maradona tug lacings.
Do some research on what Maradona do in Napoli.

Read carefully..I was talking about Diego before he even went to Barca. Of course Messi is not at the level of Diego at Napoli. Which part about comparing two 21 years olds do you not get. telling me to do research? learn how to read

Filho I eh so sure about Diego! After the U20,s everybody was anticipating Diego and Ramon Diaz on the World stage. Diego had a fantastic season with Argentina Juniors in 81 and he had lit up England and Scotland on his debut for Argentina. Yes Zico & Platini were the talk of the town, especially Zico as many felt he under achieved in 78. Platini had emerged as a majestic player, but almost all of football was talking about Diego come 82.

Read carefully what I said. People were talking about Diego as a potential world beater, but make no mistake, he was not the finished article or anything like the Diego poeple were anticipating before 86 World Cup. Prior to 82, Diego was still overshadowed by the likes of Zico and Platini who were near their prime and better known to a world-wide audience. It didn't help that Diego did not really meet expectations. And nothing you've said cannot be said about Messi. People were dying to see whta he would do in WC 2006 and the world knew he was something special after he burst on the scene at the Under 20 WC. At Germany, he sizzled in his few cameos. Many still say today that Argentina would have gone further in the WC in 2006 if they'd played Messi more. Unlike Diego, Messi's reputation was enhanced after his first WC..and Messi was a good 3 years younger. If you take away all the nostalgia, and selective memory, anyone can see Messi is ahead of Diego in his development and accomplishments as a player...age for age.

I like Messi and he will suffer by comparing his short career to a player who had a complete, legendary career.

In other words it could be nostalgia talking but Messi is still not the phenom Diego was as a youth.

Diego was the hope of Argentina as a 12 year old, juggling and skillsing off on TV. Argentinos tap up his family since then and give his pops and family easy work and gifts before they could pay him a salary. The only reason he was not in the 78 squad was because he played the same role as Kempes back then.

As for 82, Platini and Zico were great players in their prime who dominated games. To be honest Messi just doesn't have that kind of competition now. And for Maradona's influence on Barca, he wasn't there long and the team was no good, but he still score goals. Messi blossoming in a team that win the CL when he was breaking through, he has much better talent around him.

Yeah messi is the same kind of phenomenon Diego was as a youth. And don't get too carried away about him being the hope of Argentina at 12. he was not. He used to juggle ball at half time at Boca games, so the whole of Argentina was awed by the skills of this youth, but it is a myth to think that people actually assumed a 12 year old was the savior of Argentina just because he could juggle. And Messi was scooped up by Barca at 12 as well when they noticed he was special..again paying for his family and taking care of them. The parallels are uncanny. And Messi was sick too..required weekly treatment for some kind of growth deficiency that cost something like $1,500 a week. No team like Barca that used to producing their own champions taking that kind of risk on a foreign 12 year old who sick if he wasn't unreal.

We agree on Zico and Platini...I think people suspected that Diego was going to be bigger than them..but he was a youth who still had to prove himself at international level and outside of Argentina..kinda like tongues were wagging about Messi since he was 17, but it is ridiculous to thnk people were seriously saying he was the best in the world back then. However..wait and see..when Messi's career is over, if he develops into a true phenomenon like Diego..people will be giving inaccurate synopses of how great he was and how he was the hope of Argentina when he was 6 years old  :devil: :devil: Daiz just how it is I guess

And JDB..today's great players are just as good as yesteryear's and will be legends in their own right. We just elevate the players we saw through the eyes of kids and we've also tend to forget the deficiencies and remember the greatness. Kids of today willbe in awe of Messi, Pato, Kaka, Robinho, C Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and co..the same way we were in awe of PLatini, Zico, Maradona (maybe not him..he ended up being one of a kind in that era), and co...Is how each generation goes
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:20:39 AM by Filho »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »
I laugh at people on this board who will argue to the death that Maradona is untouchable in the world of football, because I know that 90% of their judgment is based on highlights, video compilations, inconclusive stats, books/articles that they read and a few memorable performances.....the other 10% based on ole talk.

Today we have the microscope on modern day players through the type of media coverage we benefit from so it's obvious they are more human....and you can't compare humans to legends...

So Filho, yuh wasting your time.  You can't compare Messi to Maradona (age to age), because when people think of Maradona, they absolutely CANNOT pinpoint exactly how he was playing at age 21.  I challenge anyone on here to recall 5 90 minute Maradona club games when he was less than 21 years old....In the case of Messi we've been watching him day in day out for Barca since he was 18....When we think of Maradona, the most prominent thing that comes to mind is him running through defenses in the '86 WC & him raising the profile of Napoli to greatness...go figure.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:52:17 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
Quote from: kicker
Today we have the microscope on modern day players through the type of media coverage we benefit from so it's obvious they are more human....and you can't compare humans to legends...

this makes perfect sense except for the fact that these kinds of debates are what the forum is tailor-made for.

So Filho, yuh wasting your time.  You can't compare Messi to Maradona (age to age), because when people think of Maradona, they absolutely CANNOT pinpoint exactly how he was playing at age 21.  I challenge anyone on here to recall 5 90 minute Maradona club games when he was less than 21 years old....In the case of Messi we've been watching him day in day out for Barca since he was 18....When we think of Maradona, the most prominent thing that comes to mind is him running through defenses in the '86 WC & him raising the profile of Napoli to greatness...go figure.

Filho made the claim that Messi was more highly regarded than Maradona at a similar age.  He used this claim to bolster an argument for Messi being a better player age for age.*  Now, it have men on this board who following football consistently since before Diego, so they are perfectly equipped to address the issue of how highly-regarded Diego was at a similar age.  The lack of footage has little to do with recollecting the level of excitement associated with the player.   

edit: using players' reps isn't an airtight way to appraise players but we already going down that road.   

Also, on close inspection, saying that people were expecting more of Zico and Platini in WC 82 isn't really that convincing of an argument.  Is the number of high quality players a constant?  Has Messi definitively separated himself from his peer-group (kaka, ronaldo, soon to include Pato etc)?       Has he done so over an extended period of time?  Just the other day, people on this board were saying that Robben was playing on a similar level to Messi.  What if Ronaldinho get back to the form he had circa '05?

I think it's perfectly valid to compare the players age for age.  At least to the extent we could compare any two players of different eras.  I just don't think that there's much you can hold against Diego in the comparison: he was the star for club and country in an era where Argentines didn't move abroad as frequently and he'd previously showed himself to be the best U-20 player in the world several years before.

*-that is Filho's argument as I understood it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:14:16 AM by daryn »

1]; } ?>