April 30, 2024, 01:54:34 PM

Author Topic: Dissecting Alex Ferguson's latest comments.  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dissecting Alex Ferguson's latest comments.
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »
Just a couple questions..would like to see what you guys think. Sr. AF never seems happy when other coaches talk about his players, but isn't going to the press and saying how much he admires Benzema, even saying the only reason he wouldn't buy him is his inflated price, the same as saying you want a player..and underhandedly saying what you are willing to pay? Or is this normal so long as you are not actually talking to the player behind Lyon's back? I think I've seen this in the past, where Fergie calls it mind games and a distraction to the player. Then again, he seems to think Barca is the only non-English CL threat, so maybe he is smartly trying to gee up Benzema, knowing his individual brilliance could make the difference. Anyway...still thought the unwritten rule was you don't talk about players like that unless you're putting a bid on the table. I'm sure he's been outraged when this is done to his guys...but maybe I'm wrong.

And check out the big big dis to Real Madrid and Robben in particular. Let's face it..anyone who's seen Real Madrid lately knows they along with ManU are the clear form teams in Europe and they have a CL pedigree that is independent of league form anyway (despite some recent lean years in the competition). Actually, this one smells of 'fear' of Liverpool in the CL. Is AF playing mind games with Real Madrid, hoping his comments give the Spaniards a little more incentive to put one on Liverpool, knowing he doesn't want to meet the Reds later in the competition. His comments to the Spansih club are way to flippant/negative. Or are they?

Cheers

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=621778&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that he has great admiration for Lyon striker Karim Benzema.

The France international is regarded as one of Europe's hottest properties, with a number of top clubs believed to have expressed an interest in acquiring his services; and United are reported to be among that group, with Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona also keen on the talented 21-year-old.

Ferguson insists he is not about to make an imminent move for the powerful frontman, due to the inflated price tag on his head, but admits that Benzema is the type of player he would welcome in his squad.

"He is an excellent footballer," the Old Trafford chief told Le Journal du Dimanche. "He reminds me of (Zinedine) Zidane in the way that he uses his body. He has broad shoulders and a great drive when he has the ball at his feet.''

When asked if Benzema could play for United one day, Ferguson added: ''You always have to keep an eye on all the best players and how they are developing.

''But Lyon's president (Jean-Michel Aulas) is a sharp man. He sold (Michael) Essien for 38million euros, (Mahamadou) Diarra for 26million euros, (Florent) Malouda for 19million euros, (Eric) Abidal for 16million euros. And I congratulate him for that.

''When we played Lyon last season, at the end of the match, he said, 'Chelsea are making me an offer of 50million euros for Benzema'. I replied to him, 'At that price, I'll leave him to them'!''

Ferguson also revealed he is a big fan of another young France star, Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery.

''He is fantastic,'' the United boss said. ''Always moving and incredible energy. He is always going forward but defends a lot too. He would have no problem playing in England.''

The United boss was also asked earlier this month whether Real Madrid were among the favourites for the Champions League, and replied: ''No chance.

''Their game lacks pace. They have great players like (Gabriel) Heinze, (Fabio) Cannavaro, (Fernando) Gago, but they aren't quick. ''There is (Arjen) Robben, the only one who can give them some rhythm, but he isn't very brave.

''The three English teams - Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal - or Barcelona (are the favourites, along with United). The level of the Premier League is so elevated that it prepares you for games at the highest level.

''And Barcelona can count on a fantastic player - (Lionel) Messi.''

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:47:41 AM by Filho »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Dissecting Alex Ferguson's latest comments.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
Just a couple questions..would like to see what you guys think. Sr. AF never seems happy when other coaches talk about his players, but isn't going to the press and saying how much he admires Benzema, even saying the only reason he wouldn't buy him is his inflated price, the same as saying you want a player..and underhandedly saying what you are willing to pay? Or is this normal so long as you are not actually talking to the player behind Lyon's back? I think I've seen this in the past, where Fergie calls it mind games and a distraction to the player. Then again, he seems to think Barca is the only non-English CL threat, so maybe he is smartly trying to gee up Benzema, knowing his individual brilliance could make the difference. Anyway...still thought the unwritten rule was you don't talk about players like that unless you're putting a bid on the table. I'm sure he's been outraged when this is done to his guys...but maybe I'm wrong.

And check out the big big dis to Real Madrid and Robben in particular. Let's face it..anyone who's seen Real Madrid lately knows they along with ManU are the clear form teams in Europe and they have a CL pedigree that is independent of league form anyway (despite some recent lean years in the competition). Actually, this one smells of 'fear' of Liverpool in the CL. Is AF playing mind games with Real Madrid, hoping his comments give the Spaniards a little more incentive to put one on Liverpool, knowing he doesn't want to meet the Reds later in the competition. His comments to the Spansih club are way to flippant/negative. Or are they?

That analysis is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I can't believe that Ferguson thinks that anything he says about Benzema would affect the result of the Barca-Lyon tie. The difference between the teams is just too vast.

As for Liverpool. I also can't believe that he is so concerned about them that he would be trying to gee up Real. Liverpool is a side that United has owned over the last 3 or 4 seasons. I think that he just does not like Real and will take a dig at them whenever prompted. I also didn't get the impression that he was saying that Real wouldn't get past Liverpool specifically, just that they will be found out eventually, because there are several better teams out there.

As for who I think Ferguson is concerned with, other than the immediate opponent (Inter) it would be Barcelona. They are favourites for the CL, not by a little bit, by a lot.

One thing I would say is that you never know which questions are asked and these reports always make it seem as if the manager is spouting off unbidden. He was most likely asked about Madrid and Benzema specifically. He still should steer clear of making any comments about Benzema if he has any interest in the player though.

I saw an excerpt from the same article where he was given his opinion on Wenger's transfer strategy that was cringe-worthy. He didn't say anything untrue (said that he cultivates youths and when he does buy an experienced player it is the same type of player that he already has) but it came off as kicking a dog when its down. Much better to leave that for the fans and the press to do.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »

That analysis is a bit of a stretch IMO.

definitely. not really my thoughts, but a few questions, ideas (some may be a little out there) to see what others think.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »
Basically he saying, I will buy Benzema if the price is right.  ;D
Maybe even throw in Tevez?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
If Fergie would concentrate and talk about his own players for once, we might get some insight as to what he makes of CRonaldo's constant and unshameful attempts to con the referee into giving penalties - most recently, against Blackburn this past Saturday. It would also be interesting to see what is his take on CRonaldo's Beckhamesque retaliatory kicks on opposing players, with intent to maim and injure.

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:57:51 AM »
Basically he saying, I will buy Benzema if the price is right.  ;D
Maybe even throw in Tevez?

yea I think he just putting it out there to Benzema that he should really consider Man U as a possible destination though Benzema has said that he would prefer to play in Spain....

But yea don't really see anything out of sort in the comments, managers occasionally give praise where praise is due

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:35 AM »
If Fergie would concentrate and talk about his own players for once, we might get some insight as to what he makes of CRonaldo's constant and unshameful attempts to con the referee into giving penalties - most recently, against Blackburn this past Saturday. It would also be interesting to see what is his take on CRonaldo's Beckhamesque retaliatory kicks on opposing players, with intent to maim and injure.

Well, while yuh have to commend him for the job that he's done in getting Rooney to start showing some growth and maturity on the pitch, (maybe Rooney has matured on his own, who knows?) yuh could forget about him addressing fan-boy's jackass behaviour.  Rooney still has a ways to go as he still shows flashes of his temper and still gets away with alot of referee abuse, but he has toned it down a whole lot.  cronaldo, on the other hand........I don't think he is destined to be anything other than the petulant, metro-bitch footballer that he is.  Yuh asking way too much of fergie here.  There aren't too many coaches or managers in "modern" (what football has become) football that can afford to stand up to the nonsense that goes on on the pitch.  They can't.  It's not in their respective teams' best interests.  Just look at how Chris Houghton, in the post game interviews, try to give some kinda explanation for the tackle that Kevin Nolan put on Anichebe this weekend.  Fergie eh go say SHIT about cronaldo's antics.   

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:56 AM »
Fergie know what he doing with the mindgames and the tapping up. He was replying to a pointed question about the player and he play it off as "we have to keep an eye on all up and coming players" then he throw in the fact that Lyon actually approached them saying that Chelsea willing to pay 50mill, so is not like ManU going after the player.

I get the impression that the question on Real Madrid was posed earlier in the year, when Barca was still going guns and Real were now starting to get stability but not looking impressive yet.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:34:40 AM »
Fergie know what he doing with the mindgames and the tapping up. He was replying to a pointed question about the player and he play it off as "we have to keep an eye on all up and coming players" then he throw in the fact that Lyon actually approached them saying that Chelsea willing to pay 50mill, so is not like ManU going after the player.

I get the impression that the question on Real Madrid was posed earlier in the year, when Barca was still going guns and Real were now starting to get stability but not looking impressive yet.

What de arse is this? you sober already?

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

What de arse is this? you sober already?

ah love it!!

;D
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »
He didn't say anything that most have not thought. Robben soft and injury prone. Real has been inconsistent, you never know what you are going to get. Arsene9 does not buy to improve/strengthen areas that are weak; hence have a team of midfield midgets and no dominating center backs. He was complimentary to Ribery and Karim and pobably responding to specific questions regarding each.

1]; } ?>