April 27, 2024, 01:29:41 PM

Author Topic: Test Match 4- West Indies v England  (Read 12488 times)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Test Match 4- West Indies v England
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
Good Morning folks (as I furtively look around the corner),

Here is the 4th test match thread.

England have won the toss and decided to bat.

Kensington looks gorgeous. After the Antigua debacle, it is heartening to see that this ground looks as lush and as well prepared as any international ground and the wicket looks good.

Let's hope that our guys play with discipline and application for every session of this test match.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Test Match 4- West Indies v England
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »
 :rotfl: I just posted the same thing. Let me see if I can delete mine.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
kensington look flat and slow, west indies does get pay off to have the pitches that way, according to holding in jamaica at sabina, the groundsmen are told to prepare pitches a certain way.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:11:17 AM »
kensington look flat and slow, west indies does get pay off to have the pitches that way, according to holding in jamaica at sabina, the groundsmen are told to prepare pitches a certain way.

Whatever it takes to help out the team I suppose.

We need all the help we can get.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:58 AM »
England on top again. I hope we don't expect a second miraculous escape because that is exactly what we are heading towards at the moment. The pitch is a bit flat, but it's not overly slow. The carry has been good and the batsmen have been feeling confident to play straight through the line of the ball, suggesting that the pace off the pitch is good.

I think Edwards and Taylor bowled within themselves pace-wise and I wonder if that was a team plan. Powell was rubbish and short of scoring a century in this match can't expect to retain his place if he continues bowling the way he has been. Benn and Gayle were steady without getting a lot of turn off the pitch. If one of them can keep a side tight we can attack from the other end, but that has been the problem. England scored freely throughout and we're lucky it's only 3.6 they scoring at given the pitch and the bowling.

My biggest disappointment is the missed chance off of Benn. Since the ARG match it had been observed that 1st slip is starting too wide when Benn is bowling to left handers. With the ball coming into the batsman it is obvious that edges will go finer. Today Strauss edged between Ramdin and Smith who was still standing quite wide. It took 3 overs before they corrected it. Gayle's drop of Strauss off of Edwards was unforgiveable, but was just bad fielding rather than bad placement of the fielder.

England clearly on top at 108/0 at lunch in 30 overs. 

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »
any knows the WI starting squad?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »
any knows the WI starting squad?

Well here is the full squad. I don't believe that Lionel Baker and Lendl Simmons made the final 11.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wiveng2009/content/current/squad/391827.html

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:20:35 PM »
230-1 and Pow Pow get d wicket :devil:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:53 PM »
230-1 and Pow Pow get d wicket :devil:

Well 242 for 2 now. Cook has fallen six short of his century.

Big ovation for Pietersen from the England supporters as he walks in.

We cyah have our locals being drowned out by the foreign supporters.

I thought that this was a home tour for us.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »
Powell bowled the ball of the series to remove Strauss. He had the man on all fours when he was done with him. In this spell he has shown what I think he is capable of and what he should be aiming to do every single time he goes there to bowl. Fullish length, tight on the off stump with the occassional yorker or short ball (depending on the batsman).

We're suffering for the missed opportunities. Not just in terms of runs scored after the miss, but in terms of momentum at the fall of a wicket. Just before he got out Cook gave us 2 opportunities to get him out, one off an improved Powell (Benn looked slow getting to a miscued hook) and one between Ramdin and Gayle that perhaps the keeper should have gone after.

Kaliman, there are thousands of English supporters in the Caribbean and unlike us who like to sit quietly and watch the match they cheer for everything from defensive shots, to boundaries to landmarks. The weekend might balance out a bit, but the English team have a large backing.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »
Powell bowled the ball of the series to remove Strauss. He had the man on all fours when he was done with him. In this spell he has shown what I think he is capable of and what he should be aiming to do every single time he goes there to bowl. Fullish length, tight on the off stump with the occassional yorker or short ball (depending on the batsman).

We're suffering for the missed opportunities. Not just in terms of runs scored after the miss, but in terms of momentum at the fall of a wicket. Just before he got out Cook gave us 2 opportunities to get him out, one off an improved Powell (Benn looked slow getting to a miscued hook) and one between Ramdin and Gayle that perhaps the keeper should have gone after.

Kaliman, there are thousands of English supporters in the Caribbean and unlike us who like to sit quietly and watch the match they cheer for everything from defensive shots, to boundaries to landmarks. The weekend might balance out a bit, but the English team have a large backing.

True. What I should also be aware of is the fact that all of these English fans are on vacation.

There are many locals who still have to go and make a living.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
ok i got the squad line up

Umpires: Aleem Dar, R B Tiffin
West Indies: Gayle (C), DS Smith, Sarwan, Hinds, Chanderpaul, Nash, Ramdin (W), Taylor, Powell, Benn, F Edwards
England: Strauss (C), Cook, Shah, Pietersen, Collingwood, Bopara, Ambrose (W), Broad, Swann, Sidebottom, Anderson
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
What is the reason for dropping Lendl Simmons from de squad?

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
What is the reason for dropping Lendl Simmons from de squad?

Selectors doh like trini...
Nah seriously though...well I cyah say nah...good question.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 07:38:19 PM »
Too many missed opportunities. We can say the pitch flat, but Cook got 2 lives, Strauss got 3 lives and Pieterson got a chance in the end. Five of those missed chances have led to 142 and 94, we're still waiting to see what Pieterson will get and he's on 32 at the moment. In addition to the raw difference in terms of when they were reprieved and what they went on to make there is the whole change in momentum when a wicket falls. England scored 108 in the morning session, 113 in the post lunch session and just 80 runs after tea, which is when the wickets fell.

The problem with giving away 301 runs for just 3 wickets is that already we are on the back foot. We can hope for a collapse and to somehow contain them because anything over 400 and I think we're playing to draw the match. We can only escape for so long.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »
Now dat he bowl d ball of d series and he only have 1 ah dem can we please spare us him in TNT.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
Edwards got Pieterson out lbw for 41. Bopara has been dropped on 2 by Taylor off of Edwards. Again, missed opportunities will cost us.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »
bopara battin like is ah oneday.367/4
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:32 AM »
lunch 405/4

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
467/5 collingwood out on 96.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »
Drop catch again.  Dis team real messed up boy.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
Batting Practice.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
Taylor and Powell bowling good tata.  If Edwards is always going to be the tearaway fast bowler, he will give up runs.  One of the other fast bowlers has to step up and keep up the pressure at the other end.  Anyway, Dwayne Bravo is playing again for Queen's Park.  He jes hit 126 in a 20-20 match fuh dem.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
Look like the plan is for them to make 600+ and then try to bowl us out twice. Pretty much impossible for us to win from here, but I hope the inevitable draw isn't as close as the last match, or is that asking to much... ???
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »
We are complying with dem too.  Bopara in de 90's now and Sarwan bowling.  I neva see shit so.  Ok at last...Taylor and Edwards having a go.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:16:16 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
Edwards got Pieterson out lbw for 41. Bopara has been dropped on 2 by Taylor off of Edwards. Again, missed opportunities will cost us.
yuh see.maiden century fuh bopara.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 01:56:58 PM »
Ah hate to lose to England.  They systematically have stopped giving County Contracts to up and coming current West Indians.  Dey only take has beens or shithounds like Tino Best who off de radar.  Of course man go say look Chanderpaul get a contract but he has reached the pinnacle...really how much better can he get?  Edwards, Taylor, Roach, Benn, Powell, Sarwan, Chatters, Ganga, Bravo, Hinds, Smith, Gayle, Ramdin...men who need work and have potential go suck salt as far as dey concerned.  Fellas like dat get contract if another foreign star break down and dey come in to finish off de season.  Yuh see de English get smart.  Bring in somebody who already good.  Study dem good and get better playing against dem and dis helps to raise de County Game Standard.  County Cricket will not be used again to groom talent dat go come back and bite dem in their backsides.  Ah bet yuh dey go bring in Ajanta Mendis to study him...de new Sri Lanka spinning phenom.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:58:48 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
Yuh ever hear of backseat Betty?  Windies have backfoot Gayle?  Steups, if he lead foot not planted in it's place caught behind, he go out on de backfoot LBW.  A terrible innings on a dead wicket.  Anyway, all wicket does look dead until de West Indies bat.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:10:35 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »
38/1 now with Smith on 22 and Sarwan on 10.

Those missed opportunities I tell you... I eventually switched off because I couldn't take it. To Edwards credit he kept at even though he'd have been massively disappointed to have so many catches dropped off his bowling (4). Bopara's previous highest was 34. We drop him on 4 and he goes on to make 100 more. Ambrose is dropped on 0 (albeit a difficult chance) and he goes on to make 76 not out. The flat pitch is not an excuse in this match... we've created too many opportunities.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:00:32 PM by dwolfman »

1]; } ?>