April 27, 2024, 06:32:34 PM

Author Topic: Down Sizing Do You Have A Back Up Plan  (Read 5507 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Down Sizing Do You Have A Back Up Plan
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
If when you go to work on Monday your boss told you that they are down sizing and he would have to lay off some people, what would you do or say to your boss to convince him that you should not be one of those people?
Or do you have a back up plan and you  say to him i don't give ah fack what yuh do, because i don't like this job anyway. With the way things going these days i am quite shure many of us think about it and just int want to worry to much, so you kind of ignore it  hoping that if your neighbour house is on fire yours would not ketch  . 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Down Sizing Do You Have A Back Up Plan
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »
None whatsoever.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »
bredda, in the last month my company was 80 people and we down to about 40 something now..

Today i had to watch 8 people get dey throat buss, some close friends as well..

my tech dept shrink from 6 to 3 people supporting 8 offices in the US..

my backup plan is to tell them if they let me go, my next career move is hacker. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:50:16 PM »
alot of people at work sent their farewells today - i was shocked at the number of people. but a small silver lining is a few job postings circulating today as well.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:58:01 AM »
I fire de wuk in nine years ago.

The mgmt at the company I busted my arse for 12 years were vex with me. They though I had abandoned them. Could not believe I would voluntarily leave.

People asked me what my back up plan was since I had not landed a another job when I left.  I had undertaken serious career counseling in the two years leading up my departure so in a sense I did have a plan.

After four years of working with people in their start-up companies, I finally found it ... self employment. Been at it for 5 years now.

With a combination of luck and foresight, I am consulting in a field that seems to be recession proof and good to go for another 5 to 10 years.  My onliest problem in a recession is making sure I get paid when I do the work.  Have been burnt a few times, but with proper procedures, I can minimize that risk.

So the back up plan to being downsized is to down size your self in good times and build for the bad times to come.  Since we in bad times now, my plan eh go work for most.  This is akin to buying insurance before the house burn down, not after it burn down.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
Head back to school.....MBA in understanding chupid people..
I'm sure in 3 years the economy would be much better and i'll be much brighter  ;D

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:08:24 AM »
i am already pursuing another degree just in case.  they say teachers is one job always need ppl but my district is talking about downsizing in the coming years due to declining enrollment figures.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »
I holding down 2 jobs......In one company I had to had to kill off account for 80 ppl (over all is 300 get buss up but I only had to touch 80) in Germany in de night and den in de morning at de second job, my boss come and say dey giving out walkin papers for 30 ppl.  Man I couldn't even watch dem ppl in dey face...some hot lookin women too get wood.  I just say might as well get a goodbye fellup yes  :devil: :rotfl: :beermug: :P ....To me the economy just rightin itself as some companies grew when they had no right to expand, banks lend too much to ppl dat didn't qualify for it and dey know dat dey go default.  I think by mid year to 3rd qtr things go turn around, as I ca't see dis lastin into next year....I tell de wife, I go keep de both jobs for a couple months just in case  :-* :-\ :-[
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:10:08 PM »
i have meh own company and had to let myself go.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
Capo yuh should dah do like pecan and make it recession proof nex time

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »

sex and death .. two recessions proof industries
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »
I fire de wuk in nine years ago.

The mgmt at the company I busted my arse for 12 years were vex with me. They though I had abandoned them. Could not believe I would voluntarily leave.

People asked me what my back up plan was since I had not landed a another job when I left.  I had undertaken serious career counseling in the two years leading up my departure so in a sense I did have a plan.

After four years of working with people in their start-up companies, I finally found it ... self employment. Been at it for 5 years now.

With a combination of luck and foresight, I am consulting in a field that seems to be recession proof and good to go for another 5 to 10 years.  My onliest problem in a recession is making sure I get paid when I do the work.  Have been burnt a few times, but with proper procedures, I can minimize that risk.

So the back up plan to being downsized is to down size your self in good times and build for the bad times to come.  Since we in bad times now, my plan eh go work for most.  This is akin to buying insurance before the house burn down, not after it burn down.

recession proof? yuh own ah funeral home?

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »

sex and death .. two recessions proof industries

i eh know about the sex ting dis rounds, i have ah pardna who own ah strip club and ah "massage parlour" and he bawling things bleak, man nursing 2 beers all night and watching other man lap dance instead of buying dey own and fuh de parlor, de only ordering from the 99 cents value menu, no regular combo these days.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »
de sex business on de downward spiral.hefner might sellout he stock cheap.lol.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 07:30:29 AM »
I'm sure in 3 years the economy would be much better and i'll be much brighter  ;D
i'll leave that one alone...lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
i'll leave that one alone...lol

ay ah already glow in dey dark eh, so hush

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »
Two Queens hospitals stopped accepting patients are preparing to shut down for good.

St. John's Queens Hospital in Elmhurst and Mary Immaculate Hospital in Jamaica stopped accepting patients at midnight and will officially close their doors tomorrow.

Workers held a vigil outside St. John's last night.

The hospitals are closing because their operator, Caritas Healthcare, recently filed for bankruptcy.

The move will leave about 2,500 people out of work.

"It's like a ghost town. The community depends on us so much," said administrator Myrna Bailey.

"Seeing this place so empty like this, it's like somebody else that's being taken away from you, and that's just very sad," said Elita Mariano, a registered nurse.

"Things came so fast that I didn't have a chance to look for another job," said Dr. Mohammad Ahsan, an emergency room attendant. "I don't know. Maybe go home and stop by unemployment - that's the plan we have now."

Demonstrators have held protests asking Albany for more funding for the hospitals, but state officials say they already gave Caritas $50 million and cannot afford any more financial support.

The state last week did approve an $18 million grant, of which $15 million will be used to help other Queens hospitals that will take on the extra patients.

Catherine Wilkinson, a nurse at St. John's Queens for 37 years, did not think that will be enough.

"I'm upset for the people in the area, and where are they going to go and receive healthcare?" said Wilkinson. "I know the governor said he'll give extra money to the local hospitals. The local hospitals are overwhelmed already and we're just getting into the really cold time of the year. So I'm upset for the patients, and where they're going to get quality care."

The two hospitals are likely to remain vacant in the near future.

Related Stories2/28/2009 Clock Winds Down For Queens Hospitals
2/22/2009 Hundreds Rally Support For Queens Hospitals
2/18/2009 State Health Aid Cannot Save Queens Hospitals
2/12/2009 Hospitals Prepare For Patient Overflow
2/10/2009 Queens Hospitals Begin Limiting Patients
2/6/2009 Two Queens Hospitals To Close Within A Month
1/25/2009 Locals Rally To Save Two Queens Hospitals

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
Find work in the middle east...$$$$...
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
damn good question Zulu..
they laid off 30 people here a few weeks ago.

Hubby wants to take a leap like how Pecan did, but with 2 young children...you ahve to think twice and twice again.
I'd love to quit work right now but since my name isn't JK Rowlings, I have to hush and do de people work.

We have plans though, but they require a capital that takes time to build and banks aren't handing out rolls to real people only disembodied lobbyists.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
Two Queens hospitals stopped accepting patients are preparing to shut down for good.

St. John's Queens Hospital in Elmhurst and Mary Immaculate Hospital in Jamaica stopped accepting patients at midnight and will officially close their doors tomorrow.

Workers held a vigil outside St. John's last night.

The hospitals are closing because their operator, Caritas Healthcare, recently filed for bankruptcy.

The move will leave about 2,500 people out of work.

"It's like a ghost town. The community depends on us so much," said administrator Myrna Bailey.

"Seeing this place so empty like this, it's like somebody else that's being taken away from you, and that's just very sad," said Elita Mariano, a registered nurse.

"Things came so fast that I didn't have a chance to look for another job," said Dr. Mohammad Ahsan, an emergency room attendant. "I don't know. Maybe go home and stop by unemployment - that's the plan we have now."

Demonstrators have held protests asking Albany for more funding for the hospitals, but state officials say they already gave Caritas $50 million and cannot afford any more financial support.

The state last week did approve an $18 million grant, of which $15 million will be used to help other Queens hospitals that will take on the extra patients.

Catherine Wilkinson, a nurse at St. John's Queens for 37 years, did not think that will be enough.

"I'm upset for the people in the area, and where are they going to go and receive healthcare?" said Wilkinson. "I know the governor said he'll give extra money to the local hospitals. The local hospitals are overwhelmed already and we're just getting into the really cold time of the year. So I'm upset for the patients, and where they're going to get quality care."

The two hospitals are likely to remain vacant in the near future.

Related Stories2/28/2009 Clock Winds Down For Queens Hospitals
2/22/2009 Hundreds Rally Support For Queens Hospitals
2/18/2009 State Health Aid Cannot Save Queens Hospitals
2/12/2009 Hospitals Prepare For Patient Overflow
2/10/2009 Queens Hospitals Begin Limiting Patients
2/6/2009 Two Queens Hospitals To Close Within A Month
1/25/2009 Locals Rally To Save Two Queens Hospitals

this affectin ah good few people i personally know.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »
These kind ah   times bring out some talents in yuh that yuh did not think that yuh hav , i rem in the 80 in trini working at NM car plant in Ariama the talk bout laying of came around and i did like Pecan i open ah instant shoe repair business yuh talk bout money .peps we hav talents that we int tap into yet . me i bought a van long time now just in case that things went bad ah go pull bull with it .survival for the fittest .

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »
Yep. fire the babysitter, cut down on the amount of days of daycare for the kidlets and stay home and be a full time mommy  :angel:

Might even learn to cook caribbean food while I at it.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »
Yep. fire the babysitter, cut down on the amount of days of daycare for the kidlets and stay home and be a full time mommy  :angel:

if u cyar cook ah pelau stop callin yuhself ah trini

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »

I learn to cook when I move to New York. Living on my own, no mother or grandmother to cook for me. SO If you ask me to make a lasagna or a shepards pie... I could do it with my eyes closed. Couple years ago, armed with a Naparima Cookbook, I make a curry chicken and potato by myself. Then I called moms and grams. That was a good moment. I ent ashamed to admit it. Now I moving on to other things .. Like Callaloo. Just because I cant cook it dont mean I don't enjoy it. And dont make me less of a trini. I sure I could beat you in rum and cokes and all fours :devil:
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »

I learn to cook when I move to New York. Living on my own, no mother or grandmother to cook for me. SO If you ask me to make a lasagna or a shepards pie... I could do it with my eyes closed. Couple years ago, armed with a Naparima Cookbook, I make a curry chicken and potato by myself. Then I called moms and grams. That was a good moment. I ent ashamed to admit it. Now I moving on to other things .. Like Callaloo. Just because I cant cook it dont mean I don't enjoy it. And dont make me less of a trini. I sure I could beat you in rum and cokes and all fours :devil:
how did it turn out??
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »

how did it turn out??

didnt put enuff salt but that otherwise not bad for a first attempt. Although the little angel say after first bite, "this not aunties callaloo." Then she ask for her salt shaker and pepper grinder and fix it herself. 

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »

i is ah johnny black coconut water man as fuh de all fours,ah born with ah deck in meh hand.lol.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »

i is ah johnny black coconut water man as fuh de all fours,ah born with ah deck in meh hand.lol.
talking bout All Fours
I does play this more than solitaire
http://www.allfoursonline.com/
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:04 AM »
all de time

1]; } ?>