April 23, 2024, 11:19:22 AM

Author Topic: 2009 World Baseball Classic.  (Read 8543 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2009 World Baseball Classic.
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »
World preparing to turn eyes on Classic
Sixteen teams excited for Thursday's start of international tournament

A little more than three years ago, in the weeks and months leading up to its debut, the World Baseball Classic was still being viewed by many with skeptical eyes.
An international baseball tournament? In March? Using Major Leaguers? Did you say China and South Africa? What in the world ...?

Then March 2006 arrived, and the world -- the baseball world, at least -- changed forever. It changed, the believers and most of the skeptics would say in unison, for the better.

Going in, not even the players on the field knew what was in store for them. But the inaugural Classic quickly became an instant classic.

"Once you got there and you started to play, you realized how special it was," said Team USA shortstop Derek Jeter, among those determined to bring America's team to the top this time around in this showcase of its national pastime.

It's about to get special again. This week, it's time for World Baseball Classic 2.0.

With Pool A, led by defending champion Japan and 2008 Olympics champion Korea, getting a jump on things in Tokyo with games that begin early Thursday morning U.S. time, the 16-team global village of baseball is back. It's back with the same set of teams, a few new rules and one big difference: People now know to expect some top-flight baseball competition and a March dose of electricity normally reserved for October.

The element of pleasant surprise might be gone, in a sense. But the element of international intrigue remains. So does the basic fact that this tourney features some of the top talent on the planet, playing with national pride and passion that simply can't be found in other international baseball competitions.

All the evidence you need on the final point is summed up in a conversation catcher Carlos Ruiz, one of the heroes on the defending World Series champion Phillies, had when he received a phone call from Panama last week.

The voice on the other end of the line belonged to President Martin Torrijos, who wanted to know why Ruiz had passed on the chance to play for the Panamanian team.

"This year is very important for me," Ruiz explained.

"I understand, but we don't have any catchers," Torrijos replied. "You're our guy."

Suffice to say, Ruiz is reporting with the rest of the Panama squad to camp on Monday.

With stops in Japan, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico in the first round and then San Diego and Miami for the second round March 14-19, this year's Classic will finish off with semifinals and finals March 21-23 at Dodger Stadium, fittingly.

Home to the organization that integrated baseball with the signing of Jackie Robinson back in its Brooklyn days, the venerable ballpark has been emblematic of the melting pot that baseball has become in recent decades. It was from Dodger Stadium that baseball saw Fernandomania emerge, members of the early waves of players from the Dominican blossom and Hideo Nomo bring a different wave from Japan to the U.S.

"We're very honored to host a great event, a marquee event for baseball," Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said. "It's a way to bring the world together to enjoy the game. We've always been participants in bringing the game of baseball to other parts of the world, and now we get to host the world at Dodger Stadium. It's [kind of] cool."

First, the world has to earn a chance to play at Dodger Stadium. That begins with the Pool A games in Tokyo, being played earlier than the rest so the two teams that advance to the second round can acclimate to the time-zone difference between Japan and the U.S. They'll hold brief camps in Arizona before traveling to San Diego to meet the top two teams from Pool B, featuring perennial amateur power Cuba and local first-round favorite Mexico.

Team USA is among the squads gathering in Florida and Arizona starting Monday for short camps that will set up the pools being held in the Western Hemisphere. The U.S. and the rest will play exhibitions against Major League teams throughout this week leading up to the tournament.

Pool C, featuring the U.S. and Venezuela, will begin in Toronto on Saturday, the same day Pool D, featuring potential powerhouse Dominican Republic and host Puerto Rico, begins in San Juan. Pool B will begin in Mexico City on Sunday, with Mexico and Panama the favorites to advance.

The inaugural World Baseball Classic made a global impression, and it was clear that baseball's innovative gathering of professional and amateur stars from all over the planet was an idea with staying power.

It was Team USA's tradition and superstars, Japan's deep pool of professional talent and Cuba's amazing amateur tradition. It was South Africa playing Canada at Scottsdale Stadium -- in baseball. It was Korea and Japan squaring off in Anaheim with enough electricity and fervor to light up the Main Street Electrical Parade across the freeway at Disneyland.

And, in the end, it was Japanese closer Akinori Otsuka punching out a victorious yell at PETCO Park.

For baseball, it was a revelation not only for the surprising level of competition for a month usually reserved for exhibitions, but also for the chord it struck with fans of all nationalities and descents.

The chord it struck in the U.S. might have been a more of a warning bell.

USA manager Davey Johnson doesn't need a whole lot of pep talks stored up for his squad, which by all accounts disappointed by winning just one of three games in the second round and missing out on the semifinal round, which instead featured Japan, runner-up Cuba, Korea and the Dominican Republic.

"Everybody I've talked to, some guys like the first-timers, they're real pumped up because they saw what happened a couple of years ago, and they don't want that to happen again," said Johnson. "Nobody wants to go back early."

Of course not. Everybody wants to be on top of the world, and once again teams from six continents have that chance.

It's an opportunity like none other to strut their baseball stuff in front of the world.

"This is going to be a great experience to be representing my country," said Korean outfielder Shin-Soo Choo, who made a splash in the Major Leagues last season with the Indians. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience."

Or, actually, twice in a lifetime now for the baseball world anticipating World Baseball Classic 2.0.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: 2009 World Baseball Classic.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »
The voice on the other end of the line belonged to President Martin Torrijos, who wanted to know why Ruiz had passed on the chance to play for the Panamanian team.

"This year is very important for me," Ruiz explained.

"I understand, but we don't have any catchers," Torrijos replied. "You're our guy."

Suffice to say, Ruiz is reporting with the rest of the Panama squad to camp on Monday.

Sport means something in other countries, no matter how small the country. Sport is still a hobby here in the consciousness of the population and that is the general attitude towards it.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
Canada lorse 6-5 to USA
and Nederlands beat DR
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:19:57 AM »
Dunn, Braun homer in USA winAssociated Press
TORONTO (AP) - Kevin Youkilis hit a two-run homer, Adam Dunn and Ryan Braun added solo shots and the United States powered its way into the second round of the World Baseball Classic by beating Venezuela 15-6 on Sunday night.

World Baseball Classic Like it or not, the WBC is here to stay. So quit being so sour and let Ken Rosenthal explain why its appeal runs deeper than you know.

Chris Iannetta and Mark DeRosa each had four RBIs for Team USA, which broke it open with an eight-run sixth inning and finished with 16 hits. Youkilis scored four times.

Every U.S. starter had at least one hit except for third baseman Chipper Jones, lifted in the sixth because of a mild strain on his side. Jones, who is 0-for-7 with five strikeouts in the WBC, will be evaluated again Monday.

Florida reliever Matt Lindstrom worked 1 1-3 perfect innings for the win before a crowd of 13,094.

Victor Zambrano took the loss, allowing four runs and two hits in one inning.

Venezuela will play an elimination game Tuesday against the winner of Monday's game between Canada and Italy. The winner on Tuesday advances to round two, and will face the U.S. on Wednesday night to decide first place in Group C.

Team USA will begin second-round play Saturday in Miami.

Melvin Mora's RBI single gave Venezuela a 1-0 lead in the third but the U.S. answered with two in the fourth when DeRosa's two-out triple scored Youkilis and Dunn.

Venezuela reclaimed the lead in the bottom half against right-hander Roy Oswalt on Ramon Hernandez's RBI grounder and Gregor Blanco's run-scoring single.

The U.S. sixth began when Youkilis reached on a wild third strike. David Wright singled and Dunn walked to load the bases for DeRosa, who drove in a run with a walk. Left-hander Carlos Vasquez replaced Zambrano but Iannetta greeted him with a three-run double to right-center, taking third as the throw went to the plate.

Vasquez struck out Curtis Granderson and was replaced by right-hander Yoel Hernandez, who walked Derek Jeter and gave up a two-run double to Dustin Pedroia. Braun batted for Jones and grounded out, but Youkilis capped the inning with a homer to left, his second in two games.

Carlos Guillen hit a solo homer and Hernandez singled home Jose Lopez against right-hander Brad Ziegler in the sixth, but Dunn answered with a solo shot to right off Ivan Blanco in the seventh.

DeRosa hit a sacrifice fly and Iannetta and Granderson had RBI singles as the U.S. tacked on three more in the eighth against left-hander Jan Granado.

Oswalt allowed three runs and six hits in 3 2-3 innings, walking two and striking out one.

Venezuela starter Armando Galarraga yielded two runs and five hits in four innings. He walked one and struck out four.

Miguel Cabrera and Magglio Ordonez, Venezuela's 4-5 hitters, combined to go 0-for-9 with three strikeouts.

Notes: Venezuelan fans jeered loudly when Victoria Mata, the country's Minister for Sport, threw out the first pitch. ... U.S. manager Davey Johnson said before that game that coach Barry Larkin is responsible for splitting playing time between Jeter and Jimmy Rollins at shortstop. Jeter started Saturday but was replaced in the fifth, with the reverse happening Sunday. ... Rollins was picked off second after a leadoff double in the first, the second time in two days he's been thrown out on the bases. ... Lopez went 3-for-4 with three doubles, matching a WBC record.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
Europe taking over in baseball? I see Italy beat Canada and Netherlands beat PR today.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
Europe taking over in baseball? I see Italy beat Canada and Netherlands beat PR today.

they beat DR de other day.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
Puerto Rico survives against Netherlands in WBCAssociated Press
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) - Puerto Rico became the latest star-laden team to struggle against Netherlands pitchers at the World Baseball Classic.
Yadier Molina's go-ahead double keyed a three-run rally in the eighth inning, and Puerto Rico beat a pesky Netherlands squad 3-1 on Monday night to advance to the second round of the World Baseball Classic.

"The boys have experienced a lot, and me even more," Puerto Rico manager Jose Oquendo said. "There was no panic. The Netherlands played great. They can hold their heads up and I expect them to give a good battle to the Dominican Republic."

The Netherlands pulled off a major upset in its tournament opener Saturday, beating the Dominicans 3-2. The pitching staff, with coach Bert Blyleven in the dugout, also was impressive against favored Puerto Rico, protecting a 1-0 lead until the eighth.

Big league sluggers Carlos Delgado and Alex Rios opened the inning with walks. After Ivan Rodriguez struck out, Mike Aviles walked to load the bases and Molina followed with a two-run double to left off Leon Boyd that put Puerto Rico in front before a sold-out home crowd of 19,479 at Hiram Bithorn Stadium.

"Threw me a slider and I was able to connect well with it. It was very emotional because my family was there," Molina said.

Alex Cora flied out, but Jesus Feliciano's RBI single made it 3-1. On the play, Molina was thrown out at the plate.

J.C. Romero and Fernando Cabrera combined for a perfect ninth, sending Puerto Rico to Miami for second-round action beginning Saturday.

"The only thing bad was the 10 men we left on base, but that is part of the game," Oquendo said.

The Netherlands will face the Dominican Republic again in an elimination game Tuesday night. The winner of that game will play Puerto Rico on Wednesday for first place in Group D.

"I'm very proud of my teammates because they played to win and played hard for the entire game," Netherlands first baseman Randall Simon said. "Puerto Rico has a tremendous team with many stars, but we never backed down because we have a great team as well and we think we have a good chance."

Oquendo said San Francisco Giants lefty Jonathan Sanchez will start Puerto Rico's next game.

Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Ian Snell started Monday for Puerto Rico, allowing one run and three hits in four innings. He struck out five and walked one.

Pedro Feliciano provided 1 1-3 innings of scoreless relief. Romero also worked 1 1-3 innings for the win.

Romero, a key member of the strong bullpen that helped the Philadelphia Phillies win the 2008 World Series, must serve a 50-game major league suspension following a positive drug test caused by a contaminated supplement. The MLB suspension starts only with the regular season.

"I am going through a difficult and unjust situation, but I will continue doing the best I can when they need me," Romero said. "I felt good today and I was able to contribute to the victory."

Netherlands starter Rick VandenHurk pitched three-hit ball for 3 1-3 innings.

"Our pitching was very good. It set the pace and we played very well defensively, but at the end we allow them some liberties," Netherlands manager Rod Delmonico said.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

they beat DR de other day.

I didn't realize the game was still in progress. PR rallied for a win.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
the Nederlands have beat DR :o :o
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:40 PM »
again.they play about 3 days ago

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 08:59:32 PM »
DR are out
on paper i tink DR have more talent than usa.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
DR are out
on paper i tink DR have more talent than usa. <-- did not help them eh
de Cuban pitcher throwing 100mph in the Aussie game on now
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:11:11 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »
de cuba game eh done yet

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »
de cuba game eh done yet

bottom of 6th...Aussies now batting...1 on.....1 out
Cuba 2 - 2 Aussies
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:21:29 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »
DR are out
huge upset.ah guess DR should return de favor if ever they play ah football game.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »
Anyone know the final score in the USA - Venezuela game? Last score I saw was Vene up 5-3 after 8 innings. What happens if USA lose? Are they out?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
LONG LIVE Chávez ;D ;D

World Baseball Classic© 2009 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.Print

Venezuela sinks USA to win Pool C
As winner of first round, country will face Netherlands on Saturday

TORONTO -- Venezuela emerged the victor in Pool C with a 5-3 win over the previously undefeated Americans on Wednesday before a crowd of 12,358 at Rogers Centre.
Two days after being handed a nine-run loss by Team USA, the Venezuelans came up with solid pitching and timely hitting in their final game before advancing to Miami this weekend for the second round of the World Baseball Classic.

With both teams already assured berths in Pool 2, the contest was decidedly low-key compared to the earlier games in Toronto. Both manager substituted liberally, apparently more concerned with getting out of town healthy than winning the top seed.

Catcher Henry Blanco put Venezuela on the board with a solo homer off former teammate Ted Lilly in the third, then doubled and scored on a Gregor Blanco triple in the fifth off Jeremy Guthrie. Marco Scutaro gave Venezuela a 4-1 lead with a two-run single in the sixth.

Venezuela starter Victor Zambrano, who was knocked around for four runs in one-plus inning of relief Sunday against Team USA, allowed just one run and three hits in 3 2/3 innings in the rematch.

Team USA left fielder Ryan Braun went 3-for-4 with an RBI double, and catcher Chris Iannetta drilled a two-run homer in the eighth, but the vaunted U.S. lineup was otherwise held in check. The Americans stranded a runner at third base in three of the first five innings.

The Americans put two runners on base in the ninth off Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez, but Derek Jeter was caught attempting to steal second base and Kevin Youkilis struck out swinging to end the game.

Venezuela will take on Pool D runner-up The Netherlands at Dolphin Stadium in Miami on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET. The Americans will face Puerto Rico, the top seed from Pool D, at 8 p.m. ET in Miami.

Ed Eagle is an editorial producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090311&content_id=3968298&vkey=wbc&team=ven
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:26:06 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:58 AM »
de mighty usa has fallen.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
Yeah, but they're still in the tournament so it doesn't matter. Most of the sheep have been separated from the goats!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 08:23:44 PM »
PR hammer de mighty yanks 11-1

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Long live El Presidente Chavez
Venezuela coming for the US ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »
Long live El Presidente Chavez
Venezuela coming for the US ;D
:devil:

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »
Too bad the Cubans got the wrong translation on the 30 pitches rule
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
Davey Johnson say they willing to forfeit rather than risk further injury and the wrath of the clubs.  down to 11 uninjured position players.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 10:19:41 PM »
Davey Johnson say they willing to forfeit rather than risk further injury and the wrath of the clubs.  down to 11 uninjured position players.
article and discussion here
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Quittin-time-Johnson-ready-to-forfeit-WBC-if-i?urn=mlb,148432
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
PR should have changed pitchers in the bot of the 9th
3 on and 1 out
PR 5-3 USA

ok he switchin the pitcher now....hopefully not too late
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:56:39 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
PR cuttin team usa ass right now.leadin 5-3 in de bottom of de 9th.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
we spoke TOO SOON
USA advances
PR had it, but kept that pitcher in for two hits TOO MANY then the replacement did not do any better
Chavez VS Obama next :devil:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
we spoke TOO SOON
USA advances
PR had it, but kept that pitcher in for two hits TOO MANY then the replacement did not do any better
Chavez VS Obama next :devil:
just check de score,de yanks win 6-5.

1]; } ?>