March 29, 2024, 12:29:05 AM

Author Topic: Vranes names final U-20 squad for World Qualifiers.  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Vranes names final U-20 squad for World Qualifiers.
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
Vranes names final U-20 squad for World Qualifiers.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Under 20 Football Team Head Coach Zoran Vranes on Tuesday announced a final 20-man Squad that will carry this country’s hopes of qualification for the 2009 FIFA World Youth Cup in Egypt in the CONCACAF Final Round tournament which kicks off in T&T on Friday.

T&T will begin their quest against Canada on Saturday from 6pm at the Marvin Lee Stadium with Mexico taking on Costa Rica at 4pm at the same venue. In the other group being contested at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Tobago, Honduras takes on El Salvador (5pm) and United States faces Jamaica (7pm) on Friday.

The local boys went down in their final warm up encounter, 1-0 to El Salvador in Plymouth on Monday but coach Zoran Vranes remained optimistic of his team’s qualifying chances with the top two teams from the group advancing to the Finals in Egypt.

“This is the best selection that we can have with the players available to us and I think we are ready for the challenge. Again I will say that we are in a very tough group but in any case I don’t think we should expect any easy group or opposition,” Vranes told TTFF Media.

“For me what is important is that we are focused and that we take into the matches all that we have done in our preparation. We have to be strong in every one of our matches from beginning to end,” Vranes added.

New German signing Jamal Gay is scheduled in Port of Spain on Tuesday evening and will join the team in training from 4.30pm on Wednesday at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

The team will be captained by midfielder Leston Paul and includes twelve survivors from the squad which represented T&T at the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship in Korea. They are Sheldon Bateau, Marcus Joseph, Daniel Joseph, Sean De Silva, Daniel Cyrus, Glenroy Samuel, Akeem Adams, Robert Primus, Kevin Molino, Jean Luc Rochford, Aubrey David and Paul. Primus was part of the T&T Senior Team which toured Argentina last month prior to the 2010 World Cup Qualifier against Honduras while Adams made his Senior international debut last year.

Defender Mikeil Williams was not considered after sustaining a knee injury in Saturday’s 1-0 win in the first of two games against El Salvador in Plymouth.

“I feel confident about our chances because the guys have stepped up their game in the past few weeks and we’re just looking forward to the start of the tournament,” Paul said.

“I would say the four games in Tobago was a great help for us because we got a chance to test ourselves against similar type of opposition to what we will be facing in the tournament.

“I think the guys who were in the Under 17 team that went to the World Cup in Korea are all leaders in some way and they know that they have a standard to try and maintain. It should be a boost to have them involved with the other players we have in the team,” Paul added.

The ex-T&T Under 17 captain pointed out the importance of T&T starting the tournament on a positive note on Saturday against Canada.

“That’s our first game and it’s vital for us to start the tournament well, hopefully with a win. Every game is one for us to get full points but more importantly I feel we can put ourselves into a really good position with a win on Saturday. We are hoping too that the fans can come out and give us that support as well. Their backing is always a boost for us as players and hopefully they can come out and give us that extra bit of drive,” Paul concluded.

Canada drop friendly to Jamaica

Canada's Men's U-20 team lost its international friendly match in Sunrise last Friday, 1-0  to Jamaica on Friday night.

"It is very important we get a good recovery session on Saturday," said coach Tony Fonseca. 'The final camp has arrived and we are going to use it for fine tuning.

“We are aware of the difficulties of the competition. The opponents are very strong and we know that there is no room for mistakes. This team is ambitious and will be ready to fight for a spot for Egypt 2009.  We must be mentally prepared and physically strong."

Canada is currently preparing for next week's CONCACAF Men's Under-20 Championship in Macoya, Trinidad & Tobago. Canada has been training this past week in Sunrise, FL. The team departs USA on March 4 before its first group match on  March 7 against host Trinidad & Tobago.

Canada also plays Mexico (9 March) and Costa Rica (11 March) in group play. Jamaica and USA are in the opposite group with El Salvador and a fourth team yet to be determined. Honduras and St. Vincent & the Grenadines fight for the final championship spot on 2 March.

From the group phase, the top two teams in each group advance to the semi-final on 13 March. They also qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009. From the semi-final, the two winners first advance to the CONCACAF final on 15 March.

Team List - CONCACAF U-20 Qualifiers.

Goalkeepers

1.Glenroy Samuel (United Petrotrin), 21.Andre Marchan (W Connection)

Defenders

4.Sheldon Bateau (San Juan Jabloteh), 16.Marcus Joseph (United Petrotrin), 19.Daniel Cyrus (El Dorado SC), 5.Akeem Adams (W Connection), 12.Robert Primus (San Juan Jabloteh), 2.Aubrey David (W Connection), 18.Nicholas Walker (St Ann's Rangers), Curtis Gonzales (Defence Force)

Midfielders

8.Sean De Silva (College of Charleston), 7.Kevin Molino (San Juan Jabloteh), 14.Jean Luc Rochford (Joe Public), 6.Leston Paul (capt) (St Mary's College), 15.Uriah Bentick (St Anthonys College)

Forwards

10.Daniel Joseph (San Juan Jabloteh), 9.Jamal Gay (Rot-Weiß Oberhausen), 11.Trent Lougheed (United Petrotrin), 13.Marin Manswell (W Connection), 20.Qian Grosvenor (St Anthonys College)

Technical Staff Information

Christopher De Silva (Manager)

Carl Joseph (Assistant Manager)

Zoran Vranes (Head Coach)

Hutson Charles (Assistant Coach)

Jefferson George (Goalkeeper Coach)

Otis Hislop (Physiotherapist)

Ashton Mills (Physiotherapist/Trainer)

Irvin Thomas (Equipment Manager)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:49:36 PM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Vranes names final U-20 squad for World Qualifiers.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »
Britto not part of this set-up??
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Compared to when this was a U17 team.....it have a whole lot more clubs cited as teams as compared to now. Most of them from wha i remember were secondary schools..now it only have 4. Some good players too...hopefully all the preparation will bear results. All de best fellas. Allyuh have me feeling a bit hopeful....allyuh had better preparations compared to past teams...it wasnt ideal...but...allyuh could make out.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
real hard being ah young tobago baller. u have to move to ah new school. leave family and friends behind. from what i hearing thats where the guys from the 2001 team fell down. they apparently had no "good" supervision and kinna break out
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Victor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
When will JackAss hire a strength & conditioning coach to work with our teams?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:25 PM »
they showing this on tv in canada?

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:08:48 AM »
real hard being ah young tobago baller. u have to move to ah new school. leave family and friends behind. from what i hearing thats where the guys from the 2001 team fell down. they apparently had no "good" supervision and kinna break out

Hope tht ent happen to Cyrus,from wat i noe he is a quiet fellah,hope he ent waste he opportunity like other b4 him
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 07:43:40 AM »
Why i am not bursting with optimism for this team  :-\
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it is because of years of disappointments and failed promises!  ::)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
Mexico side

The Mexican Soccer Federation revealed the 20-player roster that will try and help Mexico's Under-20 team qualify for the Under-20 World Cup.

Of the 20 players, 13 have played in the Primera Division. The clubs that sent the most players are the Guadalajara-based clubs: Chivas, Atlas and Tecos (who are technically based in Zapopan, a suburb of Guadalajara).

Among the teams without any players on the roster are America, Cruz Azul, San Luis and Santos Laguna.

The qualifying tournament will be in Trinidad & Tobago. Mexico will play on Saturday against Costa Rica.

Goalkeepers: Liborio Vicente Sánchez (Chivas), Miguel Ángel Centeno (Toluca).

Defenders: Juan Antonio Ocampo (Chivas), Daniel Montes (Chivas), Néstor Vidrio (Atlas), Christian Sánchez (Atlas), Carlos Alberto Gutiérrez (Atlas), Oswaldo Pantoja (Tecos).

Midfielders: Marco Fabián De la Mora (Chivas), David Cabrera (Pumas), Néstor Calderón (Toluca), César Martínez (Monterrey), Luis Pérez (Necaxa), Luis Fernando Silva (Morelia).

Forwards: Antonio Salazar (Chivas),y Julio César Nava (Chivas), Javier Cortés (Pumas), Axel Velázquez (Atlas), Arnhold Rivas (Tecos), Jesús Alberto Dueñas (Tigres).

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

Ah the faithless.... :devil:

Think about it like this, if they did not get the exposure they did even Carriacou would be cutting we senior team tail in a few years. St Kitts/Nevis buss we skin in U-21 a few years ago with all kinda big names on the team because the prep was so bad.

I like that they showing fight. Thats far better than the lay-down-and-die attitude of some past youth teams that collect 5-6 goals from CONCACAF opposition.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »

Think about it like this, if they did not get the exposure they did even Carriacou would be cutting we senior team tail in a few years. St Kitts/Nevis buss we skin in U-21 a few years ago with all kinda big names on the team because the prep was so bad.

I like that they showing fight. Thats far better than the lay-down-and-die attitude of some past youth teams that collect 5-6 goals from CONCACAF opposition.

may be its the man in charge Zoran !!!! is the reason why i am so  cautious

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »

may be its the man in charge Zoran !!!! is the reason why i am so  cautious

True, he not exactly lighting the world on fire. But the team now has better results against Latin American opponents than under Anton.  Considering we missing our 2 most gifted attackers, its not panic time yet. Then again I have not seen this new team play yet, maybe that is why I could afford to still have faith  :devil:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
nice names... sorry Knox not part of it
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »
nice names... sorry Knox not part of it

knox is injured
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:01:05 PM by Trini _2010 »

1]; } ?>