March 29, 2024, 06:51:35 AM

Author Topic: Maylee Attin-Johnson Thread  (Read 30000 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Attin-Johnson cautious but optimistic as T&T women team go for glory.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 02:33:40 AM »
By Inshan Mohammed.

The Soca Warriors Online (SWO) is asking its members and all T&T supporters to join in and support the T&T national women's football team as they embark on a journey to regain Caribbean supremacy, and at the same time qualify for the 2015 FIFA World Cup in Canada.

It is a task that is very much achievable but they have had a long string of disappointments and hiccups which may very well undermine the team’s focus. Try telling that to Maylee Attin-Johnson. The women’s team captain insists that she is not letting anything stand in her way, and pretty face notwithstanding, she is totally the opposite when on the pitch; fighting to the end and leading by example.  She fits the mold thus, of a perfect captain.

Attin-Johnson may not have her full complement of troops with her in Houston, nor is she or any of the national women team being compensated while on international duty. This continues a trend over the past few years where they've had to play second fiddle to their international male counterparts, going months without playing any international games.  This while having local fans all over their case, expecting miracles.

Meanwhile, with no steady funding or sponsorship, the cash-strapped Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) had to pull rabbits out of their hats to get the team to Houston and in camp, a move which represents the first time in TTFA history that such an investment is being made in the Senior Women’s program. The TTFA even had to go abroad for help when they got American Randy Waldrum to coach the team for free for the duration of the CFU Cup.

All is not well however, the team is missing a number of players who were left back in T&T because of ticket and visa issues, largely caused by a shortage of funds.  Spirits nonetheless remain high and the team is determined to prove that they have what it takes to get T&T women’s football back on the map, by qualifying for their first ever World Cup at this level.

While the TTFA were pulling rabbits out of their hats Life Sports were the real magicians, they made $34 million dollars disappeared.

Trinidad and Tobago has now had a failed rogue Life Sport Programme which was specifically designed to help community groups and individuals in furthering plans, programmes and activities that foster the development of sport, facilitate athletic performance and engender community spirit.

Some of Life Sport beneficiaries are doing their best David Copperfield impression, making millions of dollars disappear from under the noses of the T&T government, and doing so with impunity. In fact, the penalty for malfeasance in public office and misappropriation of funds seems to be mere termination from office. Against this backdrop, these women footballers have gone without any sort of financial support, as some assume the burden of family and other responsibilities, yet still manage to drop everything and answer the call to represent their country.

Picture for a moment what a mere fraction of the infamous $34 million dollars would do to help these young ladies achieve their goal. It would be interesting to see the support, if any, that they would get from the government if they were to actually qualify for the 2015 Women’s World Cup.

At any rate, enough of the socio-political commentary.  Despite the apathy which the women have often been forced to endure, they nonetheless harbor no ill-feelings and instead show massive commitment and dedication to the red, white and black as they aim to change the course of women’s football in T&T and put their country back on the footballing map.

Captain T&T

Alongside from Ahkeela Mollon, team captain, Attin-Johnson happens to be one of this country’s most decorated current women players. She boasts a wealth of experience since graduating Diego Martin High School, representing Cumberland University in Tennessee and later Kennesaw State University in Georgia, making enough of a name for herself to have caught the eye of Women’s Premier Soccer League team Issaquah Soccer Club. Attin-Johnson, now attached to local out-fit Central FC, is convinced that there is enough talent in the national pool to put a scare into any team on any given day.

With the likes of Tasha St Louis, Ahkeela-Darcel Mollon, Karyn Forbes, Captain, Attin-Johnson and Janine Francois who can all turn heads in midfield, clinical finishers like Anique Walker, Mariah Shade, Joe Marie Lewis and in-form Tobago-born striker Kennya Cordner, there is enough fire power to make the team competitive. Then you have the defense that helps anchor the boat in Arin King, Rhea Belgrave and Taylor Mims. Last but not least, there’s the experienced Kimika Forbes standing tall between the uprights.  Any which way you cut it, this team is rich with talent, and probably one of the most-talented teams to come along in a while.

All this without mentioning players who are not at the Houston camp (for obvious reasons) but who could add further depth to this current team should they progress. Among these, Camille Borneo, Maria Mohammed, Linfah Jones, Jessica DeLeon, Liana Hinds and Lauren Schmidt come to mind.

The main focus for now is on winning the CFU however, and the Soca Princesses should relish their chances of qualifying, having been drawn in a group comprising Antigua and Barbuda, Martinique and St Kitts & Nevis.  Today, the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) would like to spotlight our national women's team as they prepare to do battle from August 19-26.

We managed to catch up with team captain, Attin-Johnson who was very kind enough to take the time off her busy Houston training camp to do a brief Q&A with the SWO.

How has the experience been thus far under new coach Randy Waldrum, do you think he has made a difference since his appointment?  And also, the Houston experience, how has it been there?

MAJ: The experience with coach Randy has been excellent thus far. He brings a different perspective which is needed for the next level. He is a very forward-thinking person and I believe the difference that he will make is in the fundamental aspects of the game we take for granted. For instance we have done more shooting in a week than we have done in probably two years. Also set pieces are an aspect of the game that we take for granted and we have started to work on this aspect with the new coaches. So he is definitely moving in the right direction.

I also admire how he is very straight-forward and how he commands the attention of the players. His sessions are very structured and well organized. He emphasizes a lot on the technical and tactical aspects of the game. Thus far the players have bought into his philosophy and professional approach. Every session has been productive and fun-filled. The Houston experience has been extremely, extremely HOT!!!, that may be an understatement but I must say the chemistry of the team has improved and the energy in the camp is where we need it to be.

Who are some of the teams you guys are going to face while there. I heard that Mexico has pulled out of the friendly against T&T?

MAJ: It's unfortunate that we won't be playing a high profile team as Mexico however we will compete against the Houston Dash which is a professional women's team here in Houston, as well as the Houston University and Houston Baptist University.

Can you tell us the players in the camp including the foreign-based players.

MAJ: Maylee Attin-Johnson, Kennya Cordner, Tasha St. Louis, Karyn Forbes*, Kimika Forbes*, Rhea Belgrave*, Tinesha Palmer*, Janine François, Patrice Superville, Jonelle Warrick, Arin King, Dernelle Mascall, Jo-Marie Lewis, Afiyah Matthias, Shenelle Henry, Annalis Cummings, Kennya Charles, Sherine Scott*, Mariah Shade, Khadisha Debesette*, Khadidra Debesette*, Anyana Russell*, Lauryn Hutchinson*, Taylor Mims, Anastacia Prescott, Janelle Magee, Christina Joseph... (*expected to arrive by Friday).

Are you satisfied with the TTFA in how they are handling the team with the visa issues etc? As we understand, half of your teammates are still in Trinidad and Tobago. Do you see a chance of the new TTFA making a difference.

MAJ: That's an unfortunate situation (with the visas) and the reality of the matter is that everything is tied into funding. We all know the magnitude of the battle that TTFA is fighting due to past failures. I can put my hands up and say I have criticized the association in the past but I also believe that they're willing to do what it takes to improve the situation that we have been facing. We can either sit back, criticize and judge or we can suggest solutions. As I said to the General Secretary [Sheldon Phillips] I would love to work hand in hand with the association to help garner support for the women's program. Sometimes we need to be proactive instead of reactive and that's something that I'm learning.

As tough as it is with the team being half in Trinidad and half in Houston the show must go on. Only when you're in the kitchen you will feel the heat. I honestly believed that the team needed a different environment, positive energy and most importantly quality sessions. The only other option would be to stay home and stick with the same program. In my estimation the Association is doing all they can with the little resources they have and the amount of obligations they're facing. What I would love to see is more government and corporate support, not when the bumpy roads are crossed but before we journey across them.

Do you guys get paid while on international duty.

MAJ:  We don't get paid, we usually get a stipend.

Who are some of the exciting players we could look forward to?  In other words, who do you feel will cause havoc for opposing teams?

MAJ: I think each player will bring about some type of excitement in their own way, however I do believe Kenya "Yaya" Corner will set the field on fire. I also think once Ahkeela "Darcel' Mollon is available for the Concacaf rounds the both of them will cause some havoc. In terms of potential and newness we need to look out for Jo-Marie Lewis and Shenelle Henry. But we are looking forward to each player bringing some sort of excitement to the team and to the game.

As I understand, the team has talent but is lacking in fitness (which is understandable given the lack of preparations among other small hiccups). Now that the team is preparing for the 2014 Caribbean Cup tournament and despite relatively a weaker group which T&T has drawn, how serious are you guys taking these games and is the team fitness improving? As you know playing international football is a lot different to friendly games.

MAJ: We respect every opponent that we face regardless of strength or lack thereof. We aren't going to take these games likely because by the end of the day we know we are number one in the Caribbean and teams will be targeting us. When it comes to the fitness aspect, we don't want to look past the CFU however we do believe we can get away with not being 100% fit at Caribbean level but at CONCACAF level it will be challenging. At this particular period it's not smart to overload sessions so we need to be smart and manage every aspect of the game going into this final leg of CFU. So far a trainer has completed a couple fitness test with us and from the results he will develop a program for each individual specifically which will help enhance the fitness aspect.

Who are some of your favorite players (men and women) and who inspire you as a player.

MAJ: My favorite player growing up was Alessandro Del Piero. I don't have a favorite player on the women's side but I do respect Christine St. Claire, to me she does more with less than any other of the big name players.

What are some of the changes you would like to see in T&T women football?

MAJ: I would like to see a better structured league because we need to have players playing on a more consistent basis if we want to continue improving our pool of players for the national setup. One change I would love to see is corporate Trinidad as well as the government being more proactive by sponsoring and empowering our young ladies.

In 2010 you were appointed Manager of Women's U-20 Team. Following your appointment we did not heard anything from you. What happened?

MAJ: When I completed my studies in 2009 I decided to take some time off from football due to injuries (3 ACL surgeries) I got an opportunity straight out of school which I was appreciative of, however the passion I had for football at that time wasn't administratively, it was how fast could I get back on the field, so I never pursued being a manager after the under 20 tournament was over. That's probably why you haven't seen or heard from me in that aspect. Today I'm still faced with the same knee issues but until I believe I can't compete at a high level I won't stop.

Have you ever visited the SWO and if yes, what are your thoughts.

MAJ: I have and I think it definitely keeps the average fan/supporter in the loop about T&T football and footballers both locally and internationally. The fan forum is hilarious, looking forward to the comments about this interview... (smile)....

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:20:56 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attin-Johnson cautious but optimistic as T&T women team go for glory.
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:24 AM »
She's got a good head on her, and it's gotta take a huge amount of determination to come back from that many surgeries. I'm feeling more confident :)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »
She's got a good head on her, and it's gotta take a huge amount of determination to come back from that many surgeries. I'm feeling more confident :)

She's got a good ass on she too. One of de sweetest women to play for T&T. I go catch ah Grenade for she. Ah moving like Narine, look oman, lie dong in that bed for meh they.

Flex, you did ah boss interview here dread, de best sport writer in T&T currently. Good job, good writing, de TTFA should give you a wok. Maylee did very well with her answers, she should be groom to be a coach and place on the T&T women team.

Big up to de TTFA for helping these ladies out, we f00cking government is a bunch of criminals.

Good luck T&T, would like to see Liana Hinds and Lauren Schmidt call up, ent Sheldon say he calling all these players up? they already in de States, why they wasn't called?

So from my understanding, if they come in de first place in de CUF they qualify for de World Cup?

Allyh help meh nah.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
Attin is a very nice person and Darcel also, they both have good shoulders on their heads.

I was happy when Jack had given Attin the manager position a few years ago too bad she left or else she would have been the coach today.

Very good job by the TTFA, Sheldon is doing much better than his father did in the entire time he was here.

I wonder who is the mysterious money source?

Flex, your article was well digested and well balance, Lasana could take a page from you, he writes one set of kaka all the time, good job by both individuals.

Anil mess up a good life sport programme that Jack invented, when Jack left, Anil lost his way.

I was to say good luck to the T&T women team, while Jack may not be here to support you guys financially, we would still like to extend our support.

The only thing going for T&T football is this website.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
Yesterday's Results.

T&T 3 (Tasha St Louis, Mariah Shade, Janelle Magee) vs Houston Baptist University 0.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:28:31 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:24 AM »
She's got a good ass on she too. One of de sweetest women to play for T&T. I go catch ah Grenade for she. Ah moving like Narine, look oman, lie dong in that bed for meh they.

Come nah man Sam, better than that.  This young lady's family might be on here reading her interview.

Attin is a very nice person and Darcel also, they both have good shoulders on their heads.

I was happy when Jack had given Attin the manager position a few years ago too bad she left or else she would have been the coach today.

Very good job by the TTFA, Sheldon is doing much better than his father did in the entire time he was here.

I wonder who is the mysterious money source?

Flex, your article was well digested and well balance, Lasana could take a page from you, he writes one set of kaka all the time, good job by both individuals.

Anil mess up a good life sport programme that Jack invented, when Jack left, Anil lost his way.

I was to say good luck to the T&T women team, while Jack may not be here to support you guys financially, we would still like to extend our support.

The only thing going for T&T football is this website.

You take yuh meds this morning? lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »
By Inshan Mohammed.

Are you satisfied with the TTFA in how they are handling the team with the visa issues etc? As we understand, half of your teammates are still in Trinidad and Tobago. Do you see a chance of the new TTFA making a difference.

MAJ: That's an unfortunate situation (with the visas) and the reality of the matter is that everything is tied into funding. We all know the magnitude of the battle that TTFA is fighting due to past failures. I can put my hands up and say I have criticized the association in the past but I also believe that they're willing to do what it takes to improve the situation that we have been facing. We can either sit back, criticize and judge or we can suggest solutions. As I said to the General Secretary [Sheldon Phillips] I would love to work hand in hand with the association to help garner support for the women's program. Sometimes we need to be proactive instead of reactive and that's something that I'm learning.

As tough as it is with the team being half in Trinidad and half in Houston the show must go on. Only when you're in the kitchen you will feel the heat. I honestly believed that the team needed a different environment, positive energy and most importantly quality sessions. The only other option would be to stay home and stick with the same program. In my estimation the Association is doing all they can with the little resources they have and the amount of obligations they're facing. What I would love to see is more government and corporate support, not when the bumpy roads are crossed but before we journey across them.

It is refreshing to see her adopt such a positive attitude in light of some of the past nonsense she herself has had to put up with.  She displays a balanced mix of praise, realism and optimism.  As someone who is closer than most to the situation she should be best positioned to criticize, yet even she recognizes the honest efforts that are being made.  I wish her the best as she attempts to regain the form that made her an NAIA All-American and WPSL professional... and will be rooting the ladies on in the tournament.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
Like Jack Horner take he tablet this morning.

Bakes, she is ah Trini, she could take ole talk.

Ah love she bad bad.

She like Radica.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
Sam, I took my tablet this morning, did you?

Sancho, Kelvin Jack and the 2006 Soca Warriors need to read this article.

These women are playing for FREE, they put their country first.

Male footballers even this ones today, not playing even if they get a dime short, they whining and complaining.

Good example by these ladies.

I hope they get a little more in time.

I like the women team because of their attitudes.

I am familiar with the Debesette sisters, and they have really great attitudes.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
Why isnt Lauren Schmidt in the squad?
Hart for president

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »

De last time she was made captain, de whole country was beefing.

Yuh feel they go call she back now.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »
Sam, I took my tablet this morning, did you?

Sancho, Kelvin Jack and the 2006 Soca Warriors need to read this article.

These women are playing for FREE, they put their country first.

Male footballers even this ones today, not playing even if they get a dime short, they whining and complaining.

Good example by these ladies.

I hope they get a little more in time.

I like the women team because of their attitudes.

I am familiar with the Debesette sisters, and they have really great attitudes.
:bs:

Kenwyne been playing for the NT for free. And given the financial state of affairs probably the rest of the team too.
Jack, Sancho and de rest of dem get blacklisted when dey ask for what was promised to them.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
Like Jack Horner take he tablet this morning.

Bakes, she is ah Trini, she could take ole talk.

Ah love she bad bad.

She like Radica.

Doesn't mean she should man - someone talk like that about your daughter? Anyway she's a footballer, and your comments are about her other assets - a microcosm of why women have to fight for their right to be taken seriously. I ain't see you talking about how Kenwyne looks good in shorts :p

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »

who was beefin? She did well, as did the whole team.
Hart for president

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »

who was beefin? She did well, as did the whole team.

Trinis can captain too!

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 05:36:17 AM »
Very good answers by Johnson.

Always like this player but Tasha is my favorite, that girl could dribble good to.

When and where exactly are the games? I know they are in T&T, but where and what time?

I hope the new MoS reads this.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 05:59:19 AM »

Which whole country? The whole does follow football? The whole country don't know who on that team.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »
The experience with coach Randy has been excellent thus far. He brings a different perspective which is needed for the next level. He is a very forward-thinking person and I believe the difference that he will make is in the fundamental aspects of the game we take for granted. For instance we have done more shooting in a week than we have done in probably two years. Also set pieces are an aspect of the game that we take for granted and we have started to work on this aspect with the new coaches. So he is definitely moving in the right direction.

Bada boom bada bing.

I also admire how he is very straight-forward and how he commands the attention of the players. His sessions are very structured and well organized. He emphasizes a lot on the technical and tactical aspects of the game. Thus far the players have bought into his philosophy and professional approach. Every session has been productive and fun-filled.

The skipper sharing licks sharing, and allyuh playing allyuh eh know.

Offline Debbie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
Well done flex, it's about time someone spotLight our ladies.

Atti..... my good friend,  good luck ladies. ....

Love you all.

SWO is number one.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
Reinvigorated Soca Princesses eye Canada prize
FIFA.com

Trinidad & Tobago’s rare adventures in front of a global audience have been both spirited and resolute. On two recent occasions – the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ and the 2010 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup – the national team was managed by highly regarded imported coaches. Leo Beenhakker and Even Pellerud both ensured the Caribbean nation of just 1.2 million inhabitants punched well above its weight.

Trinidad & Tobago are now looking to achieve a new landmark by qualifying for the newly-enlarged FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™. The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association are putting significant resources into their campaign, and with history no doubt in mind, they have recently appointed American Randy Waldrum, a career women’s coach with a track-record of success at various levels.

The Texan native already holds down the head coaching position at NWSL side Houston Dash following a quarter of a century of involvement in college football, including 15 years at the famed Notre Dame University, plus a brief stint as Trinidad & Tobago U-17 coach.

Investing for success
The first step will be next week’s hosting of the Caribbean Football Union Women’s Championship; an important milestone on the road to Canada 2015. Hosting the tournament is further evidence of T&T’s ambitions in women’s football. So too is Waldrum’s appointment, and an intense two-week camp organised for the Soca Princesses in Houston over the past fortnight.

“The big difference will be making financial investments over the years to grow the women’s game,” Waldrum tells FIFA.com about the prospects of future development in the region. Trinidad & Tobago now has a semi-professional national league, and T&T are currently competing creditably in the CONCACAF U-15 Championship. Waldrum paid tribute to the federation for their newly enhanced commitment to women’s football. “It is a huge step (sending the team to Houston) and probably the first time they have made such a financial commitment and I’m really excited about it.”

New landmark the goal
T&T will be joined be joined by seven preliminary stage qualifiers for the upcoming eight-day tournament, which concludes on 26 August. On offer to the top four is passage to October’s continental championship in the United States.

Waldrum says qualifying for Canada 2015 is an attainable goal, one that would provide impetus to women’s football across the region. “We have a good group,” Waldrum says of his T&T squad. “We will try and get as organised as possible in this two-week period, and hopefully qualify. Then we would have six weeks to prepare for the CONCACAF tournament.

“If we qualify (for Canada 2015) it would be a first for the Caribbean. It would be a good boost for women’s football in Trinidad and maybe for the region itself. I’m hopeful good things can happen, but I’m not taking anything for granted by any means.”

Three and a half spots are on offer in CONCACAF, including a play-off against the third-best South American nation. World No1 USA and the vastly improved Mexico have the inside running and Waldrum says the contest for the remaining spots is wide open, listing Costa Rica, Puerto Rico and Haiti - managed by respected women’s coach Shek Borkowski - as just some of the nations with lofty ambitions. “It is as good a chance as there has ever been for a Caribbean nation to get in”

Most of the Soca Princesses squad are based domestically, with a few currently plying their trade in the United States college system. Among the better known squad personnel are one-time Seattle Reign forward Kennya “Yaya” Cordner and inspirational captain Maylee Attin-Johnson.

“He (Waldrum) brings a different perspective which is needed for the next level,” said Attin-Johnson. “He is a very forward-thinking person and I believe the difference he will make is in the fundamental aspects of the game that we take for granted. The chemistry of the team has already improved. We aren't going to take these games lightly because at the end of the day we know we are number one in the Caribbean and teams will be targeting us.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
Flex, ask she why we f00cking best player (Mollon) not on de field?

Ah hope Johnson eh playing politics, ah like she, doh loose that.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »
Flex, ask she why we f00cking best player (Mollon) not on de field?

Ah hope Johnson eh playing politics, ah like she, doh loose that.

I don't think she picks the team sam :p

Offline Narada

• New Warrior
  • Football is a science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
Working with Ahkeela has afforded me the right to offer my opinion. She is in my view our most successful female player, from USC to now. I have heard before my working with her that there were issues with the NT. We have decided the past is behind us. 12 MVP's, 8 goals and 90 minutes in all games to date in Sweden. As any top player her club is hesitant to left her go now in the middle of their campaign. She has an excellent contract that will end in October. I would say if TnT qualifies for the October round, once God permits, the 'Swedish-based darling' will make that squad. Let us use statistics to evaluate players and I would ask the SW family to ensure we call for her in that squad.

https://www.facebook.com/TBLSportsManagementTT/photos/a.1418277925123664.1073741828.1418253265126130/1433060763645380/?type=1&theater
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:43:24 PM by Narada »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
I like Mollon, I hope she gets the call, Lauren Schmidt also.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
Attin-Johnson: Independence gift.
Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

T&T Senior Women’s Team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson says her team’s 1-0 victory over Jamaica in the final of the 2014 Caribbean Cup was an Independence gift to the nation.

Speaking after Tuesday’s win at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Attin-Johnson, appealed for whatever assistance corporate T&T could offer the team as they look ahead to the Concacaf final round in the United States in October.

“Whatever it could be. it could be in the form of energy drinks for our recovery. I think people have seen that we are striving towards something and we have achieved some success,” she said.

“I told the girls tonight that when our legs give up, play with our heart and that’s what we did to pull off the win over Jamaica.”

Tasha St Louis, the tournament’s topscorer with seven goals, was delighted with the team’s success and her goal scoring form.

“We’ve waited a very long time. As coach said, some of us have given ten or twelve years of our lives to football and it feels good to win the title. But the job is far from over because going to a World Cup is what we want to accomplish,” St Louis said.

“We’ll break for a little and then get back on the training pitch before the tournament in October. That’s the one we have our eyes on,” she added.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
Attin-Johnson: Independence gift.
Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

T&T Senior Women’s Team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson says her team’s 1-0 victory over Jamaica in the final of the 2014 Caribbean Cup was an Independence gift to the nation.

Speaking after Tuesday’s win at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Attin-Johnson, appealed for whatever assistance corporate T&T could offer the team as they look ahead to the Concacaf final round in the United States in October.

“Whatever it could be. it could be in the form of energy drinks for our recovery. I think people have seen that we are striving towards something and we have achieved some success,” she said.

“I told the girls tonight that when our legs give up, play with our heart and that’s what we did to pull off the win over Jamaica.”

Tasha St Louis, the tournament’s topscorer with seven goals, was delighted with the team’s success and her goal scoring form.

“We’ve waited a very long time. As coach said, some of us have given ten or twelve years of our lives to football and it feels good to win the title. But the job is far from over because going to a World Cup is what we want to accomplish,” St Louis said.

“We’ll break for a little and then get back on the training pitch before the tournament in October. That’s the one we have our eyes on,” she added.

Ah hope she eh mean Red Bull ...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 01:57:41 AM »
T&T skipper: Priceless lessons learned.
By Donstan Bonn (Express).

National senior women’s football captain, Maylee Attin-Johnson, believes that despite her team missing out on two opportunities to qualify for next year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada, the lessons learnt were priceless.

T&T missed out on automatic qualification when going under to Costa Rica by penalties after their 2014 CONCACAF Women’s Championship semi-final matchup finished 1-1 at the end of extra time. They would later squander a similar opportunity when suffering a 4-2 extra-time defeat at the hands of Mexico in the third-place playoff after holding a 2-1 advantage.

Speaking to the Express following a press conference at the VIP Lounge, Piarco International Airport on Monday, Attin-Johnson said the Costa Rica match was a very tight encounter.

“Penalty kicks are always like Russian Roulette as it can go either way.

“I don’t think it (the loss) was a matter of us not being focused, but after playing for 120 minutes and then having to contend with that was a bit difficult, but we were able to put that behind us and go on to put up a good fight against Mexico.”

Against the Mexicans, however, she believes they allowed themselves to waver a bit.

“In that match I think we allowed the euphoria of the moment when we went up 2-1 to get the better of us. We lost focus and I believe it’s a situation we have since learnt from,” she said.

T&T has one final opportunity to qualify for the World Cup when they face Ecuador in a two-leg playoff with the South Americans hosting the first leg on November 8 and T&T at home in the return leg on December 2.

When questioned on the team’s plans to cope with playing in the above sea-level conditions they will encounter in Ecuador, she responded: “I believe the honourable Minister of Sport is trying to get us out to Mexico by Wednesday (today) so we would be able to train at high altitude for six or seven days and then back to normal atmospheric conditions.

“The aim is to do it in a scientifically-proven way so that we can be acclimatised to above sea level conditions we will have to play under in Ecuador so we’re hoping that plan comes through as soon as possible and we start our preparation from there.

Attin-Johnson said she cannot say for sure if any member of the team had previous experience of playing in South America and as far as she can recall, one previous match in Mexico was their only experience of playing at high altitude.

She said they are going into the games against Ecuador with the motto ‘performance beats old talk any day.’

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »
Attin Johnson: There’s a fairy tale story in this.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

Maylee Attin Johnson, captain of T&T’s women’s national team, says there a fairy tale story will be written on December 2 when this country hosts the second leg of the Fifa Women’s World Cup intercontinental playoff against Ecuador.

Attin Johnson was speaking at a reception hosted both by the Ministry of Sport and the T&T Football Association (TTFA) at the Diplomatic Lounge, Piarco International Airport, immediately upon the team’s arrival from the US, where they came off a fourth placed finish at the Concacaf Women’s Championship a day before. “There is going to be a happy ending to this story. A fairytale one,” she declared.

The fourth place finish assured T&T another attempt at qualifying for the World Cup by virtue of a two-legged meeting with Ecuador, which finished third in Comnebol’s World Cup qualifying tournament. On Monday, Attin Johnson formally addressed an audience which included a number of proud dignitaries from the T&T Football Association (TTFA) including president Raymond Tim Kee and general secretary Sheldon Phillips, as well as the Minister of Sport, Rupert Griffith and representatives of TTFA’s corporate sponsors.

Despite her team’s best efforts in difficult circumstances, Attin Johnson admitted that the target set out was not met, but gave an assurance that her team will do everything possible to overcome the South American opponents.

“As I told my teammates, performance beats old talk any day. I think we went out there to complete a mission and we didn’t. But, God has a way where he gave us another opportunity and with opportunity, you can either take full advantage of it, or all it to pass you by.”

I think we’ve had a lot of difficult times throughout out national team stay and we never allowed it to keep us down. And we are on a mission to ensure that our struggles do not become our identity. Come December 2, we would need full support,” she added. Attin Johnson expressed pride in her players, each of whom she said stepped up when called upon, in spite of their own perception that the team lacked depth.

“All the struggles that we endured over the past few weeks, not only off the field, but, you know, we’ve pushed some of the best Concacaf teams to the edge and the most important thing is that we left everything out on the field, so there was no regrets. “Throughout that entire tournament, we haven’t fielded our full team. We had Janine Francois out, Tasha St Louis a shell of herself due to injury, Karyn Forbes, Ayanna Russell...

It’s been difficult, but we have a great coach. He trusts in each and every player and every player he called on, stepped up big time for us. We showed that in this tournament, where we could hold the mighty US to a 1-0 (loss). And, in that game we had a couple opportunities that we could have scored.”

Attin Johnson said her team played with heart, grit and determination but given the circumstances, the players could offer little more. “But most importantly, we still believe. God gave us another opportunity. There is going to be a happy ending to this story. A fairytale one. Come out there on December 2, and give us that support that we need. Hopefully, in these next few days the players who are injured or need to get game fit are able to do so.”

Women Soca Warriors head to Mexico

The “Women Soca Warriors” will attempt to adjust to high altitude conditions, a strength of their Ecuadorian playoff opponents from tomorrow when they depart for Mexico City for a training camp. T&T will meet the South Americans at the Estadio Olimpico Atahualpa, in Quito, on November 8, from 2 pm (local time) in the first of a two-legged playoff for the last available spot between Concacaf and Comnebol, for next year’s World Cup in Canada.

The camp is expected to help the players cope with the conditions associated with playing at a high altitude including a decrease of oxygen.

The elevation of Mexico City is an estimated 2,250m above sea level and approximately 550m lower than Quito. At the conclusion of the training camp, the team will head straight to Ecuador. The second leg will be hosted by T&T three just over weeks later on December 2 at a venue to be determined.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:33 AM »
Attin-Johnson: We became sisters during the tournament
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA)

T&T’s senior women’s captain Maylee Attin-Johnson said that the period spent together by members of the team during the recent Concacaf Championship in the United States has left them a much tighter bunch than they were previously.

The players on the current roster would have been together for training camps in Trinidad over the past two years, another training camp in England and one in Houston as well as tournaments such as the Pan American Games in Guadalajara where they drew with hosts Mexico 1-1 in 2011 and the CAC Games. But Attin-Johnson said the recent trip has certainly topped the list.

“It’s been a fantastic experience with these young ladies. We became sisters during this tournament,” she said.

“We did everything as a team and we left everything out there on the field everytime we played a match. There were no regrets.

“We gave everything and that is all we can ask of ourselves.”

She noted that the next few days would be critical towards T&T’s qualifying chances as the team heads off to Mexico for a training camp before going to Quito for the away leg of the playoff with Ecuador on November 8.

“We know everything is being done to ensure we get the best preparation possible but how we approach it and maintain our focus is the key right now. I strongly believe we can go there and get a result and then come back home and seal the qualification on December 2,” said the Central FC player.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »
Maylee rips TTFA for destroying women’s football
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY).

Four months after the nation became captivated by the skill, perseverance and warrior spirit of a group of national footballers that came within a goal of qualifying for a World Cup, all seems to be lost.

Since losing 1-0 to Ecuador in the first-ever sold-out women’s match on home soil on December 2 last year, the national women’s team has not kicked a ball.

Like a wave that swells with increasing energy before cascading powerfully on the shore and then retreating quietly back to the ocean, so too TT women’s football — after the wave of excitement that gripped the nation in 2014 — has receded into irrelevance and into a sea of empty promises.

National men’s coach Stephen Hart recently lamented that his players had been inactive since losing the Caribbean Cup final to Jamaica on November 18 last year. He finally got the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) to organise a friendly against Panama last Friday.

The TT women are still waiting.

Their captain Maylee Attin Johnson, seething with frustration, lashed out at the administrators of the local game yesterday in a post on social networking site Facebook.

“Everywhere I go people ask me, ‘when are you all starting back training’ and my reply every time is ‘good question’. Epic failure by the TTFA. Donkey of the year goes to the TTFA. Don’t need to kick another ball for TT under these people. Every time they treat the women’s team like s...t I’ll speak up about it and I mean EVERY TIME,” she wrote.

Speaking to Newsday yesterday, Maylee, itching to build on the momentum of their 2015 World Cup campaign, said she is fed up of the lip service.

“I’ve seen that movie already. They’re good at that. They’re good at selling ice to the Eskimos and telling you what you like to hear. But this Eskimo is not buying anything you selling. They’re good at destroying talent. They’re good at that and it’s not much to say again. The more you talk is the less they do so it’s not much I can say,” she fumed.

Maylee, 28 years old, admitted she is contemplating quitting the game but says she wants to do it on her own terms.

“Without a doubt you always think about it but you can’t really allow them to dictate when you retire from it. As frustrating as it is, you would like to have a good communication with them,” she said.

Maylee’s Facebook post yesterday got over 180 likes with many commending her for her willingness to defend the rights of women footballers to be treated with the respect they deserve.

One Facebook user stated, “Nothing new...It’s things like this that discourage players to continue playing.”

1]; } ?>