March 28, 2024, 05:02:30 PM

Author Topic: Maylee Attin-Johnson Thread  (Read 29996 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attin-Johnson cautious but optimistic as T&T women team go for glory.
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
Why have camps for the sake of having camps.

People who drive Range Rovers doh study gas mileage.  Take yuh time.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
Why have camps for the sake of having camps.

People who drive Range Rovers doh study gas mileage.  Take yuh time.

People who footing it doh study gas mileage either. You relax.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
People powered projects launched.
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Two of T&T’s most beautiful and talented women in sports have assigned themselves the task of becoming social champions for underprivileged youths with the singular aim of nurturing them to become models citizens.

Maylee Attin-Johnson, captain or the T&T senior women’s football team and sports physician Dr Tonya Welch jointly unveiled individuals people powered project at the VIP Lounge at the Hasely Crawford National Stadium in Woodbrook, yesterday.

The dianaTon Foundation is the name given to Dr Welch’s organisation, while the footballer’s project was called The Attin-Johnson Initiative.

While the former charity was developed on the grounds of the need for more focused guidance for youth, particularly young women, the latter aimed to act as an advocate of peace, unity and resilience through sport. 

Dr Welch said: “In life everyone goes through difficult times. Growing up, I have always had a support system, through family and close friends and I always wonder how people without the support system, go through life. There were many times when I made a promise to myself that one day I will create a platform for people who didn’t have what I had to get the help. It is the sincere hope that this Foundation, as well as Maylee’s Foundation would create that platform for some people who may not have been as lucky as I have been.”

“One of the main goals of the Foundation would be to help people who have been paralysed or debilitated by trauma or by accident and who need the help to get through life: to just give them that help, whether it be by wheelchair or the occupational therapy or the physical therapy or the medical help that they need just to be able to get by; because there are so many people living amongst us who are disabled and it breaks my heart to look at them and see the difficulties that so of the face.”

Dr Welch described Attin-Johnson as an “amazing woman, with an amazing future,” and went on to declare that the courage and the drive of the footballer as a motivator.

Attin Johnson said she had been a voice of varying causes, but never her own and that the time for such an initiative was right.

“I think it is about time! I am getting (too) old to be continuing playing football at a high level. It (the charity) was something I went ahead and did. My first initiative is the iron woman event, where I put on clinics for young girls at an earlier age

I started playing football around 11, 12 (years old) which is relatively an old age to start football or any sport. I want to create an Adopt-A-Kid Programme where you go and see who is in need and try and facilitate them and gave them hope to get out of their situation,” she said.

Former national footballer and coach Everald “Gally” Cummings, who was at the launch endorsed the projects.

As co-host of a show called Field of Dreams, Cummings said he got to know her and what I realised they had a lot in common.

“We have the same kind of attitude towards the T&T Football Association (TTFA). She is not afraid to speak her mind. She is passionate about the sport and she is very honest and truthful and this is how I have always been and I think that connected us.

“When she invited me to this some weeks ago, I put off everything to be here. I haven’t seen many footballers around, but one thing I know, I had to be present today. She has the ability to motivate people. She is a true leader in the sense of leadership, because she is not afraid to stand up for her players.

“She is very young. She could be my daughter, but I have learnt to respect her. I am very happy that I came here today. I will definitely talk to her and see in what area I can help in spreading the word,” he said.

RELATED NEWS

Attin-Johnson, Dr Welch launch Foundations.
T&T Newsday Reports.

NATIONAL women football captain Maylee Attin-Johnson, as well as former team doctor Dr Tonya Welch, launched their respective Foundations during a joint media conference at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo yesterday.

The Attin-Johnson Initiative will serve as a Non-Government Organisation (NGO) while the dianaTon Foundation, started by Dr Welch, “was developed on the grounds of the need for more focused guidance for youth, particularly young women”.

The 29-year-old Attin-Johnson, who have been involved in the national women’s team for over a decade, gave the strongest indication that she is looking at other ventures, once her playing career is over.

“I’ve always remember being told if I put the commitment and passion that I have for football into anything else, it will surely be a success,” she said. “As scary as it may seem, I am eager to discover new adventures.”

Concerning the Attin-Johnson Initiative, the easy-going Attin-Johnson stated, “my focus and the main objective of this Foundation is to establish, operate and promote peace, unity and resilience through sport; to conduct and to promote a healthy lifestyle through sporting activities; and to assist society in a successful development of a golden future, focusing on the physical and social lives of under-privileged youths, empowering them to become heroes of excellence.”

She pointed out, “in retrospect, I realise there is more to life than just football, and it’s not always about Maylee Attin- Johnson, and it’s about empowering others.”

Attin-Johnson extended her gratitude to God, her family and friends for assisting her towards her new venture.

In a subsequent interview, she admitted, “I could have gone into some other business venture but this is what warms my heart.

I think if I can change one young girl’s or young boy’s life, I’ve served a purpose.”

Asked how her Initiative was conceptualised, Attin-Johnson replied, “I have to thank Lorraine Ferguson, she was definitely one who pushed for me to actually get everything done.

Honestly, it just came about. I’ve always been able to go and do motivational speaking, but never under my own initiative.

“I think it was time. I’m getting old, to continue playing football at a high level. So it’s just something that I went straight ahead and do.”

And she expects to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. “My first initiative will be the Iron Woman event where I’ll put on a clinic for young girls at an earlier age, because I started playing football at 11, which is relatively an old age to start football, or any sport.”

Attin-Johnson added, “I want to create an “adopt a child” programme where you go and see who is in need, try and facilitate them and give them hope to get out of their situation.”

Dr Welch, who worked with the national women’s team during their unsuccessful 2015 FIFA World Cup campaign, said, “growing up, I’ve always had a support system with family and close friends. And I’ve wondered how people, without such support, get through that.”

She continued, “there were many times that I promised myself that one day I would create a platform for people who didn’t have what I had. It’s my sincere hope that this Foundation, as well as Maylee’s Foundation, will create that platform for some people who may not have been as lucky as I have been.”

Other speakers at yesterday’s media conference were Vishani Murally, a current Miss TT World contestant; and Attin- Johnson’s former teammate Jinelle James, who is presently the media officer of the TT Women’s League Football (WoLF).

Sports physician Dr Tonya Welch, left and national footballer Maylee Attin-Johnson during the launch of their respected foundations at the VIP lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain yesterday. Photo: MARCUS GONZALES

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:42:22 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Very good Maylee, you should be leading the front line to take control of the TTFA.

They need young vibrant, bright, willing, ambitious heads like you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maylee Attin-Johnson, captain or the T&T senior women’s football team and sports physician Dr Tonya Welch jointly unveiled individuals people powered project at the VIP Lounge at the Hasely Crawford National Stadium in Woodbrook, yesterday.

Well done, ladies. :applause:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2015, 04:55:00 AM »
Attin-Johnson faces lengthy rehab process
T&T Newsday Reports.

MAYLEE ATTIN-Johnson, captain of the Trinidad and Tobago women football team, faces a lengthy rehabilitation process after sustaining a knee injury during the recent Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada.

According to Attin-Johnson, “(last Thursday) I got a result from a doctor. I will need to do a lot of strengthening and physiotherapy. I will probably be out for two or three months.”

About the injury, she reflected, “I collided with a player. Those sort of things happen in games like that. We were against Mexico and it was unfortunate.

“It (occurred during) the last tenminutes of the game.

“I’m (displeased) about that,” she continued. “I’ve been through a lot of injuries before and this one will be no other. I’ll be mentally ready to go through the rehab process, get back out on the field and do what I do best.”

The Ross Russell-coached outfit drew 1-1 against Colombia and 2-2 against Argentina, before falling to a 3-1 loss to Mexico.

Looking back at the Games, Attin-Johnson said, “we’ve been to the Pan American Games before. It’s nothing new to us. (But) it was a bit different.

“We (were) away from the Games Village, where there is the real experience, in terms of having to meet other athletes.

“But, for us, in terms of playing, we did our best considering our circumstances and the lack of preparation that we had going into the Games.

“We probably had a month or so to prepare and we were going up against teams that were coming off of the (World) Cup,” she continued. “They were already match-fit and they had that experience at that level. All the teams that we played in that tournament rank at least ten spots above us.”

She pointed out, “for us to hold Colombia and Argentina to a draw, was good. Unfortunately we (were) not able to come out with a win there.

“The experience was fine but, we’re going to sound like a broken record with not having the preparation going into those type of tournaments.”

Asked if there were any improvements in terms of the relationship with the players and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), she bluntly replied, “December 2 gone and the first time we started training was five to six months afterwards. Quite clearly that answers (the question).”

The injury forced Attin-Johnson to miss the final matches with her team Chancellor Angels in the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL).

“I think it was a great idea, a great initiative,” was her view of the WPL. “Thank God it got off the ground because I’m not sure if anyone would have thought of that idea and implement it the way that the Minister (of Sport Brent Sancho) did.

“But the only thing that really hampered its is the national team leaving for three weeks to go to the Pan American Games.

The hype boiled down from the way we started. In terms of off- the-field, I think that the administration would have learnt a lot because a lot of them were new to something like this. I know if it happens next year, they would have that experience to know what not to do, and improve in that aspect,” Attin-Johnson ended.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »
Look wha Maylee like allyuh.

HAVING FUN: Captain of the Women Soca Warriors Maylee Attin Johnson, left, and Dwayne Bravo, skipper of the Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel team play with each other during the Sports Ministry Achievers Luncheon at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, Port of Spain, yesterday. --Photo: ANISTO ALVES

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:18:22 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2016, 05:18:07 AM »
Maylee : It’s a chance to right our wrongs.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Trinidad and Tobago National Women’s team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson says the opportunity to correct the mistakes that may have cost this country a place at the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup is upon the team for the upcoming CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers in the United States.

The T&T team is scheduled to depart on Sunday for Houston for a training camp ahead of their opening game against Guatemala at the BBVA Compass Stadium on February 11th.

“The training sessions have been going quite well and exciting as well as intense. The players have responded really quickly to coach Hood and Coach (Rajeesh) Latchoo. We know it will be difficult but we are all going to give it our best shot,” Attin-Johnson said.

Head coach Richard Hood stated that the captain along with the likes of the more experienced players such as Kennya Cordner, Ahkeela Mollon, Arin King and Tasha St Louis would have to shoulder the majority of the responsibilities in the tournament

“He’s definitely correct about that. We have the experience at CONCACAF Level. It’s up to us to hold each other accountable,” Attin-Johnson said

“I’ve always told my players that this is our opportunity to rewrite our wrongs which saw us not accomplishing our goal in 2014. We have to go out like this is our last tournament for some of us as the senior players. It may not be that case but we have to treat it this way.

“We have a great opportunity again. The Olympics is actually a lot more difficult to qualify for than the World Cup. We know the work that we have to put in and the standard which we have to play at in order to qualify,” Attin-Johnson added.

Following the opening game against Guatemala, T&T will face Canada on February 14th and Guyana on February 16th. The top two teams in the group will advance to the semi finals with the two finalists moving onto the Rio 2016 Olympics.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »
WATCH: One on one with Trinidad and Tobago Women’s captain Maylee Attin-Johnson

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zaq-VAbV_9k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Zaq-VAbV_9k</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2016, 02:44:18 AM »
Attin-Johnson explores future options.
By TTFA Media.

National Women’s Team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson isn’t just ready to hang up her playing boots at age 29. A competitive drive and a crazy passion for the playing could possibly see her sticking around in national colours for a few more years. But she is not counting out the possibility of entering other areas of the sport.

Attin-Johnson has already had managerial experience on a past national women’s youth team and recently completed a course in refereeing which she intends to further.

“I will take some time to rethink my future because I am not getting younger. The FIFA refereeing program is something I will definitely look into but I really can’t say exactly at this time what I will be going into,” she said after the 5-0 defeat to the United States last Friday in the CONCACAF Olympic semi final round qualifier.

“But I will be taking the refereeing a bit more serious because hopefully I can make a difference,. I am still very passionate about the game and I am very competitive so sometimes that hampers me from exploring other things but I will definitely take some time to reconsider my future,” said the Central FC midfielder.

As to what she hopes to see in terms of the approach for the development of women’s football in T&T she added: “For most of us , we made the national team at age 15, 16, at a very young age but you are not getting that at this present moment because of the poor system that is in place at the primary and secondary schools level.

“There needs to be greater investment at the grassroots level so that we can get better leagues where the girls can start at a younger age and gain the experience. It is about someone believing in the women’s program and putting everything behind it in order for us to compete against the best of them.”

Attin-Johnson is a graduate of Kennesaw State University and Cumberland College in the USA and has been the T&T captain for almost ten years.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:59 AM »
Attin-Johnson non-committal to national return.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Shabazz opens doors to Morace outcasts

Apart from being heavily involved in the hiring process of Italian Carolina Morace, new women’s team head coach Jamaal Shabazz was also the T&T Football Association’s (TTFA) co-ordinator of programmes when former captain Maylee Attin-Johnson and star midfielder Kennya “Yaya” Cordner were suspended by Morace for breaking team rules, while Ahkeela Mollon quit soon after Morace’s tenure began.

That banishment has left a bitter taste in Attin-Johnson’s mouth and now that Shabazz is back in charge of the programme he helped build and led as either coach or technical at several intervals over the course of the last two decades, the midfielder is not ready to forgive and forget even though Shabazz has wiped the slate clean.

When Guardian Media Sports spoke to Attin Johnson yesterday, she said that while she does harbour hopes to play for the country again, her decision will not be easily swayed by Shabazz, a man whom she described as a father figure to her. “The way the situation took place its a hard pill to swallow. I’m trying to put that behind me but I know what I’ve given to T&T on and off the field and for someone to be allowed to come in an disrespect our local heroes without any answers and all of a sudden she’s gone, everything cannot be hunky-dory.”

Attin-Johnson also stated that she could not think about taking up Shabazz’s invitation until next year due to personal reasons and while she was in high praise of Shabazz’s achievements in the past for the women’s game in T&T, she held some reservations about his re-appoint after at least six years away. “We all know that without Jamaal the women’s programme would not have been able to accomplish the things that it has because he built it from the ground. That is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. But brining him back now I hope he has learned what it would take to get us over the top this time.”

In 2011 Shabazz walked away from the women’s senior team claiming that the programme needed fresh ideas.

Speaking with Guardian Media Sports yesterday, Shabazz stated his readiness to assume his duties this time and said: “I did not have the full knowledge of the entire dispute, that is between the FA and her (Morace). But now that she’s not here we have to face up to the fact and get on with the job.”

Shabazz will not have a honeymoon period at the helm since, when Morace walked out, she took with her several staff members who were overseeing the age group programmes, and so it is now the job of the former Guyana senior men’s coach to re-tool all departments as quickly and as seamlessly as possible.

“I think the departure of the last coach with the under-17s having a tournament in just a couple weeks and the under-20s in January there needs to be some kind of assurance that we can pull this off. The players need to see something from the staff, a level of commitment. We’re up for the task. We have been a part of building this programme since 1998 so coming in now it really is just trying to get everybody on the same page and pulling in the same direction and to focus on football.”

He continued: “There is the tendency when a change happens in football for the focus to be on politics. Obviously some would be pleased, some would be vex and others would wish it was them. But for me I want to focus on the football and refocus the minds of the players and the staff on the job ahead.”

Shabazz told Guardian Media Sports that the senior programme along with the under-20 sessions will take a two-week break in order for both to be re-organised. Neither team has any major competitions this year. The under 17s will continue training for their Caribbean competition in August.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
Just like when Jack Warner was in power. Same old same old.

Talk about a step back

A Board of Directors with their hands out taking scraps
No direct involvement in the decision making
Probably do not have to hand over fees collected as registration with TTFA (a form of payout)
A Dictator who has made more mistakes in a year and a half than any other President

A Forum that complains, but really cannot have an direct impact. How about a Banner that reads John Williams Out at the next set of TT Games ???

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
How about a Banner that reads John Williams Out at the next set of TT Games ???

I like this idea!

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
I think that the new woman head coach is not going to get anything done. NO improvement NO development smh

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
I think that the new woman head coach is not going to get anything done. NO improvement NO development smh

Maybe so.  But realistically....who else they woulda put?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2018, 03:14:00 AM »
“It was heart-breaking!” Maylee opens up about Morace, Shabazz, DJW and T&T’s disastrous W/Cup campaign.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

In 2018, two Caribbean teams qualified for FIFA World Cup tournaments for the first time. Neither were Trinidad and Tobago.

Haiti booked their place for the France 2018 Women’s Under-20 World Cup—after finishing third at the Concacaf tournament hosted right here in Couva—while Jamaica qualified for the senior 2019 World Cup, which will also be held in France.

So what has gone wrong for the Trinidad and Tobago women, who once ruled the region and came within minutes of qualifying for the Canada 2014 Women’s Under-20 World Cup and 2015 Women’s World Cup?

Wired868 asked former Women Soca Warriors captain Maylee Attin-Johnson as well as a current National Senior Team member to share their views.

Attin-Johnson spoke first.

Wired868: How do you think the team performed at the 2018 Concacaf Championship in USA?

Attin-Johnson: It turned out to be a disaster. It was difficult to watch because I know some of those players have sacrificed a lot for the women’s program. There are players who just play for a program and there are players who change a program. And when you have a player like Arin King—who helped change this program—looking and sounding defeated, it was honestly heartbreaking to see.

When we mention Arin King, we are talking about a true warrior and someone who sacrificed a lot for our country. When you see Karyn Forbes go out there on a bad knee and playing for two [players], it is tough to look at.

No one could tell me that Panama has better players than us. I will defend that view with everything. But they sure as hell had a better game plan, they were more organised and, most important, they had proper leadership on and off the field; and that was the difference between us and every other team.

It was honestly heart-wrenching to watch; but I know one day, one day we will get it right.

Wired868: Did you want to be there, despite all the issues? And, if so, then why?

Attin-Johnson: Representing my country has always been an honour and privilege, it’s one of the greatest feelings in the world. So despite all the chaos and controversy, I still had that fire, that energy and passion in me to represent my country. There were many people asking me to return one last time to lead the team. My social media in-boxes were filled with messages urging and encouraging me to return and give it one last go.

Outside of that, some of the players called and messaged, urging me to return. I was prepared and fit, even though I was not part of the team for some time. I honestly believed with the right leadership, the team would have stood a chance of qualifying.

Wired868: What are your thoughts on what Kennya ‘Yaya’ Cordner did in refusing to play against USA; and what would you have done if you were in the squad and she told you what was on her mind?

Attin-Johnson: If we have to speak about Yaya’s actions, we have to speak first about the actions of the technical director [Anton Corneal]. I know if we had a chance to qualify, I promise you that ‘Fifa course’ [that he went to conduct] would have went on without him. I’m not condoning or agreeing with what Yaya did but the actions of the subordinates are a reflection of the leadership.

As I told Yaya, if you wanted to take a stand, you should have never gotten on that plane in Norway [to come and play in the Concacaf tournament]. You don’t wait until you have absolutely no leverage to effect change. I know she will learn from this, as well as grow past this. She’s a blessed individual and you cannot stop a star from shining.

Wired868: In this cycle, the Trinidad and Tobago Women were coached by Randy Waldrum, Anthony Creece, Richard Hood, Carolina Morace, Jamaal Shabazz, Anton Corneal and Shawn Cooper.

Can you say a little about how each did, based on your first hand experience?

Attin-Johnson: If I recall correctly ‘Coach Randy’ only had the team for the US victory tour and was fired before he could have implemented his program. We all know the massive impact that Coach Randy had and I know—if he was given the opportunity to implement his proposal—he would have made a greater contribution to the program.

Mr Creece had the team that went to Brazil. That Brazil trip was a disaster before it even started, as that tournament collided with the US trip. I would say we took a President’s XI team to that tournament. No matter what coach was there, it would have been difficult to do well, since most of the National players were on the victory tour in the US.

Coach Hood is someone who I grew to respect. He coached us some years before this cycle as well. In 2016, he became the first coach to qualify for the second rounds of the Concacaf Olympic qualifiers with little to no preparation. A lot of people may think that’s nothing to highlight; but what people need to understand is that we play in the toughest region for women’s football and the Olympic qualifiers is the hardest tournament to qualify for because only two teams advance.

He was a coach who had a plan and was very organised. Plus he had a very good assistant coach in Rajesh Latchoo. Coach Latchoo complemented him, so in areas where Coach Hood wasn’t proficient, Coach Latchoo was able to step up and provide that assistance. I think that in itself helped to make the team successful.

I’m sure who ever hired Carolina Morace, eventually realised she was a mistake. When Carolina was first hired, I was super excited at the thought of the heights she could take the program. I was willing to work even harder to be part of the program.

The first week every player had to try out [and] I would band my knee and go out and train. If I pushed off, turned left, right or cut, I would be in pain; but I still pushed through that entire week.

I remember in one of the sessions in that first week she said ‘number nine, you’re a lazy player’. I did not take it personal because I knew she didn’t know what she was talking about. Maybe in the moment I was lazy because God knows how much pain I was in.

The following week, the pain started to ease up and my movement was a little better, and the communication between us opened up. The second week, she came close to me and pinched my side, pretty much indicating you have to lose weight. Again I didn’t take it personally; I took it as a challenge.

For the next four weeks, I gave up chocolate and meat—all who know me, know how huge that was for me. I lost 12 pounds in four weeks. I did strength training in the morning for my knees and then trained in the evening.

Carolina never believed in strength training so I had to stop, which did more harm than good for me. Then came a time I felt my knee wasn’t getting any better and I approached her with Dr Terrence Babwah and told her ‘coach I think it’s best I shut it down because when you really need me I would be of no use’.

She agreed and I started the PRP procedure for two to three weeks where Dr Babwah had to take my own blood and inject it back into the affected area with a huge needle.

I know you are wondering why do I need to go to so much depth about the procedure. But I need to. I need for people to understand that I was fully committed to this program and I was willing to do whatever it took. I remember having to leave home two in the afternoon for a 6 o’clock session everyday. I had to pick up players in Cascade, then head to City Gate to pick up more players and then head to training before rush hour traffic.

We would train hard for two hours and after I would drop players off in front of their homes because I wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly; and I wanted to make sure I did my part as a leader.

I remember Darcel (Ahkeela Mollon) calling me venting for about 45 minutes telling me what the coach was dishing out to her. I remember telling her ‘that’s just how Carolina is, she is just blunt’; and Darcel replied, ‘Maylee it’s one thing to be blunt but it’s another thing to be cruel and very disrespectful’. And as time went on, I came to realise what she was saying was true.

The falling out with myself and Carolina was a heated exchange of words between two highly opinionated, competitive and outspoken individuals. But I must say that the volcano didn’t just erupt in one day. There was a lot of tension leading up to the explosion.

Carolina did not like anything under the sun in Trinidad and Tobago. Everything was ‘sheeeeet’. I listened to her disrespect the president, the technical staff and the facility management. The day we fell out, in her pre-game talk, she kept saying, ‘you have accomplished nothing as a team’. I felt that to be highly disrespectful, because if we had not made an impact as a team and as individuals, she wouldn’t have had the opportunity to coach us.

There were so many red flags with Carolina, so many incidents that took place, that it’s difficult to process. Whoever hired her dropped the ball and they clearly didn’t do due diligence on her. Just ask the Canadian Soccer Association!

She did not respect our culture nor did she respect our people. I would say the one thing she did, though, was destroy years of friendships as well as expose the people who allowed money and opportunity to control their loyalty; and I thank her for the latter.

When it comes to Jamaal Shabazz, he’s coached me since I was 14. So anything he said was gold to me. No one could have told me differently.

He taught me the tactical and the social aspects to the game. He introduced me to Malcolm X books and taught me how to deal with the media at a young age. I’m thankful for the part he played in my development and he knows there’s nothing but love for him.

But it was not until I left Trinidad and was exposed to different coaching philosophies and perspectives, I realised there was more to football than I was privy to. That’s when I began to challenge him. We became two people with different perspectives and different desires when it came to winning.

I didn’t have a problem initially when it was announced Jamaal was taking over because I thought, being out of the women’s game for some years, he would have brought a different approach and perspective. That didn’t happen and it turned into a familiarity-breeds-contempt type of environment.

I once said to him football has evolved tactically, technically and, most important, scientifically. I knew he was old school which was okay but he also surrounded himself with a technical staff that was old school—so no evolving was going to take place. In the end, I wasn’t willing to maintain the status quo.

We had some back and forth with that entire situation, where we were not able to agree. The one thing I would like to do is apologise to him for the way I handled the interview with [TV6 reporter] Joel Villafana. My father always told me when I’m emotional or angry, do not speak or write—clearly I didn’t listen.

As I told him, I meant what I said; however I should have been much more tactful in my delivery. I want to apologise to him for that.

I remember telling Anton Corneal in 2012 or 2013 that he was the only local coach we believed could help us to qualify for a World Cup. He told us then that he’s the ‘TD’ and won’t be able to be viewed as a coach; but he would put someone to front and he will conduct the sessions.

During that time we went on numerous tours to Costa Rica, England and South Carolina. I remember Anton telling me ‘Maylee, the only reason I’m still here is because of you ladies and this women’s program’. So when I heard Anton resigned in early 2014 and our dream of going to the Canada World Cup was still alive, I felt as though he abandoned us—which I also mentioned in an interview.

Fast forward four years and [Corneal] has now accepted the same position and is facing the same situation for which he said he resigned, four years earlier. During the time Jamaal was coach, I was told that Anton Corneal wasn’t keen on me being part of the team. Obviously that didn’t hold any weight with Jamaal; but it sure as hell had weight with Shawn Cooper.

I assume Anton took my comment about him abandoning the team to heart and held a grudge—or he probably thinks a ‘half-chinee’ girl from the ghetto shouldn’t be so outspoken, or shouldn’t be so fearless to speak truth to power. Whatever it is, it’s no longer my business. It was never personal with me but he—or they—made it personal.

Wired868: What can you say about what the TTFA provided (like training contracts) and failed to provide for this World Cup campaign?

Attin-Johnson: First the contract situation was a forward thinking idea; but it wasn’t carefully thought out. Honestly we had players on contracts that should not even be on a national team. No standard was set, no accountability held and no visibility was created.

I remember telling the manager it was important that the players who were on contracts needed to market and bring some visibility to the women’s program. They needed to start integrating themselves in the primary and secondary schools, so kids can know who they are. I don’t think that ever happened. So quite clearly, players were on contracts but were never held accountable for anything other than showing up to train.

Wired868: Looking back at it, what do you think went wrong?

Attin-Johnson: What went wrong? Hmmm. DJW; that’s what went wrong. The stakeholders of Trinidad and Tobago football did not do due diligence and elected a man who single-handedly destroyed football in our country; and I say that without reservation.

Just imagine the first order of business was to get rid of Randy Waldrum, who created history with the women’s program. The reasons for Randy’s firing were unbelievable and downright absurd. Quite clearly he had a personal agenda when it came to Randy Waldrum.

Then we had Stephen Hart who was responsible for pumping blood back into T&T football. That’s a fact. We had top Concacaf teams not wanting to face us at a point in time. He did everything in his power again to get rid of a successful coach.

The moment these two firings took place, the writing was on the wall. That was the demise of our football.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »
 :( :(

It seems the 2 ppl Tim Kee brought, she talk up. And ppl just wanted rid of Tim Kee, and his replacement got rid of those 2 hirings, and we are where we are.

"The moment these two firings took place, the writing was on the wall. That was the demise of our football.
"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:32:33 PM by maxg »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
Wey Contro  ;)

But seriously, who could argue with her last answer
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
I feel it for the women's program, they lacked stability. Marlee deserted the right to speak her mind given all she's done for women's football, we should all listen.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2021, 09:31:42 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maylee Attin-Johnson to manage U-20 WNT.
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2021, 01:26:21 PM »
LISTEN: Former Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson discusses the Canada 2015 World Cup qualifying campaign, the influence of American coach Randy Waldrum, the impact of football on her life, and her immediate future in the game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X4Ts3jO_Id0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X4Ts3jO_Id0</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maylee returns to Trinidad and Tobago women's football squad
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2021, 06:58:26 PM »
Maylee returns to Trinidad and Tobago women's football squad
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER captain Maylee Attin-Johnson and Lauryn Hutchinson are back in training with the Trinidad and Tobago women’s football team. Attin-Johnson, 35, and Hutchinson, 30, were involved in a training session at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, on Wednesday.

Both players were part of the squad which agonisingly missed out on qualification for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Speaking to the media during training, Attin-Johnson said, “It is an exciting feeling. I understand that representing my country is not a birthright. It is an honour and a privilege and I am just here to treat it as such.

“It is exciting to don the colours again and I am just looking forward to the games.”

Attin-Johnson said new coach James Thomas is part of the reason she has made herself available. “I think coach James came in with no preconceived notion of me and he did not put me on a black list, so I am here.”

Thomas, who is from Wales, was hired in April.

Attin-Johnson said some of the senior players have been in contact with each other and decided to return. “We spoke with each other. We understand that this is it. For us it is our last hurrah and if we come together with our experience, our knowledge and even with the talent that we can bring to the squad (we can succeed). We knew we had to come back and set a foundation, set a standard for the younger ones and just to help with the programme being successful again.”

Attin-Johnson hinted that striker Kennya Cordner may return also.

Hutchinson, asked how it feels to be back, said, “Blessed. It has been a long time and this will be my 11th year with the national team, so it is great to be home.”

Some motivation from her trainer encouraged Hutchinson to return to football.

“In February, it’s funny, I had a new trainer and I told him that I was retired and he told me ‘You are not retired.’ I laughed at him of course because I had not trained in three years…it is a blessing to be back and I have been back in training for about eight weeks now.”

The experienced pair have been away from the national set-up for years but are expected to add value to the team preparing for the 2021 Concacaf Women’s Championship qualifiers, which kick off in November. The Concacaf Championship qualifiers will be the start of the qualification process for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

In the 2021 Concacaf Women’s Qualifiers, TT were drawn in Group F alongside Guyana, Nicaragua, Dominica and Turks and Caicos Islands.

Thirty teams were drawn into six groups of five. Each team will play two home and two away matches in a single round-robin format. The six group winners will advance to the 2022 Concacaf Women’s Championship, along with USA and Canada. The US and Canada, the top two ranked Concacaf teams, advanced automatically to the 2022 tournament.

The 2022 Women’s Championship will include two groups of four. The top two finishers in each group will advance automatically to the World Cup.

The third-place finishers in each group will qualify for the inter-confederation playoffs for a final chance of qualifying. The two Concacaf teams will be among ten teams aiming for a top-three finish to advance to the World Cup.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 05:55:35 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maylee Attin-Johnson Thread
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2021, 05:50:17 PM »
WATCH: Maylee Attin-Johnson speaks with the media upon her return to the Trinidad and Tobago Women's Senior Team

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H929WctXzEM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H929WctXzEM</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2021, 11:37:06 PM »
Wow.... we in dire problems.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2021, 12:24:06 AM »
Wow.... we in dire problems.
Why you say that ? Your seeing a better way forward ? You seeing an incorrect process? You think Maylee not good and shouldn’t be given a chance ? I’m not seeing what you’re seeing. If she is still one of the better players at 40, I would still invite her out. A la Milla et al. Yet if you personally and presently know of better players at this time, who are in a position to attend regular Ntl team practices, enlighten us, so we may suggest so to avoid the dire problems that you forsee, which we weren’t in before. Listening!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
I am not questioning her abilities or commitment. She was having same issues with TTFA like the male members. I have spoken to her on many occasions. I am saying that we have serious problems if we have to come back to her an some of the older players.  Everybody were complaining of TT sports not having developmental programs. Berated for not being like JA, etc. Check out ABTrini have a post "recycling vs development".

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2021, 10:02:00 AM »
I am not questioning her abilities or commitment. She was having same issues with TTFA like the male members. I have spoken to her on many occasions. I am saying that we have serious problems if we have to come back to her an some of the older players.  Everybody were complaining of TT sports not having developmental programs. Berated for not being like JA, etc. Check out ABTrini have a post "recycling vs development".
So if I understand you correctly. We’re not in a dire situation because of Maylee, but had dire problems over years and years of mismanagement, in spite of the Maylees and other older but still presently better players. So your comments then might just be in the wrong thread. If so, no argument there. However it’s something we have known for a very long time ( even pre 2006- over 15 years ago) especially with the women game. Yet, we have games NOW, and have to go with the best we can get, irregardless of who they are. Men and Women. Not until we fix the mentality and loyalty of our ppl and by extension the administrative organizations, it will continue for maybe another 50 years. In most cases sacrifices must be made to be successful at others. TT ppl must learn blessed as we may think, it is not normal to have it all, even if born into all of it.

1]; } ?>