March 28, 2024, 04:06:09 PM

Author Topic: Late developers  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Late developers
« on: March 04, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »
I have a topic that me and FF talk about in the pass,   its players from Trinidad are late developers our players tend to peck at 30 when the rest of the world peck at 21  look Carlos Edwards  it took him some years to develop into the player he is right now. I would go as far to say Yorke only developed into a national team player in his 30s yes he played in England from the age of 16 but he never really did much for the national team. Look Carrington he was late developer we can go on and on Cyd Gray, whitley, Lawrence.  please don’t get me wrong with Yorke he was a very good player for his club but he never made the effort until the last WC campaign another example to look at is the Strike Squad if you look at the U.S team that beat us and you look the SQ player SQ still fit and will out play them by miles now. Why is that I really can’t pin point it maybe we age different.  The only one I could honestly say came from the youth level to senior international is Latapy the KING  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Late developers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »
Agreed- Our players usually don't get exposed to proper training & development very early...so they lag a bit.

I've had this convo before as well- good point. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
We also lack mental toughness our players lose concentration to easy. When I was a youth baller my father used to say you must go and run ahh extra savanna work on your game by yourself but for me it was I already practice for de day I going and sweat later. if our youth players had Yorke’s attitude we would be a power house in this region we have the raw talent
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
Remember Yorke was on the Strike Squad as a youth player.

There are two different topics in this thread, the first is the "late developer" and the other is "performing for the national team"

Carlos Edwards, even though he is only now in the premier league, was an outstanding player coming through the leagues.  He was in the Team of the Season in League Two, League One and the Championship.

In my opinion, it was just a matter of him getting the right break at the right time.

We have a few youth players who have shined as soon as they stepped into the senior team: Hyland, Jones, Glenn, S. John, Dwarika etc.

Interesting topic though!!

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »
Caribbean kids are not allowed to freely develop because of parental control for to long,it affects their development in different walks of life.If you listen to an 11 or 12 year old English child compared to a Caribbean child of similar age you would understand.They express themselves later than kids from the developed world.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »
So...considering the fact that we are late bloomers based on an international level......we should go easy on our expectations on Jones as a striker den?

Cuz..i was thinking...but i couldn't get any evidence to back it up. I remember hearing that Drogba started off as a centre back. Cant cite a source right now.....but....lets say its true. According to Wikepedia....

Furthermore, Drogba's complicated family life meant that he had never attended a football academy and only began daily football training at 18 years old.[6]

By age 21, Drogba realized he had to establish himself as a player soon or else he would have little chance of becoming a professional footballer.[7]

So basically...Drogba got into the rigors of professional football late. But...with the right spirit....and determination....he's a world class striker who probably hit his peak...(based on statistics) around 2006/07 season at the age of 28. Now..it arguable about the quality of service he received...but....it worth consideration too right?

I also remember reading an article about another Chelsea player...i believe it was lampard..who said that his not being selected for world cup 2002 made him work harder. Assuming my memory is correct...he only got selected for his first international tournament in 2004....at the age of 24...(mostly due to the retirement of scholes.)

The point i trying to make is this.
Attitude is important. Youth coaches and youth development are mostly aimed at making a player peak at his peak physical strength..which is usually put around the ages of 23 to 26. However there are players who hit their best after that. If you dont work hard...it doesn't happen. Attitude is another factor we lack...it ties in to our discipline as well. Until that is rectified..we will forever be a footballing nation with potential..but little end product.

Caribbean kids are not allowed to freely develop because of parental control for to long,it affects their development in different walks of life.If you listen to an 11 or 12 year old English child compared to a Caribbean child of similar age you would understand.They express themselves later than kids from the developed world.

I doh think so. I more think it has to do with sports not being seen as viable a career, and more emphasis is placed on an education. Compare the time that most football academies in europe spend per day with teenaged players....some instances up to 8 hours a day. Academics has a place...but it isnt the main focus..it jus done as a contingency just incase. Many footballers still could play some kinda lower league football..supplemented by a part time job to get by in England.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »
We tend to be late bloomers because of our football structure. The academies from the pro-league are not preparing them as fast as we would like them to. But that is the nature of our football. We lack money to emulate the Euro or South American models.

But we do have the exceptions. Dwight and Latas to name a few in the modern period. Gally, Archie, Deleon, Steadman, Brewster, Spann, Carter, Walkes, Grayson, Murrell  in the mid 60's and 70's.

Nowadays, international football competitions are more frequent and very competitive. You must have good coaches and a substantial amount of money in implementing youth programs to perform on par at these international tornaments. We don't have the resources. We can match the caribbean area but we struggle against the rest of Concacaf.

Right now the PFL is in a sort of limbo. They have been producing most of our players. Have we heard anything yet about the final staus of the new team.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
Excellent topic. Agreed that in general we tend to be late developers for the unspoken level we're probably all thinking about (Prem and National team?)

We've got the skill because of our love of beatsin' etc. But one of the culprits is our critical spirit we tend to have. As soon as someone have a bad game, make a mistake, make a bad pass etc. we're quick to highlight the faults and neglect the 99 other things that were done well. Therefore we don't play with the confidence that we should. We always think the others are better than us when in fact that is faaaaaar from the truth. T&T players are so naturally blessed that if they were to add endurance, composure, confidence the world would be shocked.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »
Late developers!?!?   :o   You mean I could still do ah ting?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
I think it's mainly down to not getting the training from a young age. As an example, last year Heitinga left Ajax. At 24 years old. He spent 17 years at Ajax.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
we like peas.. we is only make noise when we get old.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »
nothing to do with the players...get good youth coaching
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
Bally i hear what you saying but sometimes a player might like a sport more than the sport like him.  I do agree that development and coaching at a younger age will help develop better players and better teams etc.  But I hold to the view that great players are born not made.  If you don't have a footballing culture you will NOT be producing any football greats.  Sorry!!!  Great players are born not made.  So the questions is:  Is that late bloomers thing even valid?  The culture of the football can be refined but I'm not sure it can be thought.  When a player blooms/hot/get recognize may have nothing to do with time and everything to do with the coaching philosophy he is under.  And to expect every player to be in a perfect place is tough.  So if you cyah make the grade where you at then is a hard luck I guess.

Remember when our youth National Team play Manu youths and Yorke rip up?  Yes Yorke went to Manu and did well but I can't say that Manu made Yorke the player he is.  It refined him and the system worked well with him.  But Yorke was born a great player.  When Yorke finally quit and you meet him in a small goal sweat, he'll still be great.  The good news for players who not like Yorke and Latas is that the game would pay for the fundamentally sound players. And those principles can be thought and learned.  And sometimes..only sometimes though...good players get opportunities that put them among greats.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>