March 29, 2024, 06:57:35 AM

Author Topic: Anybody here does buy phones on ebay?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anybody here does buy phones on ebay?
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »
  just trying to get some feedback from the board.  i see some decent phones on there, i see a brand i never hear about called cect.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody here does buy phones on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »
I bought an unlocked phone in Dec 2007 - a Motorola razr.

The seller disappeared shortly after even though they have over 1000 feedback with 99% positive.

The phone did come but looked used (not new as advertised) and after 3 weeks, began to malfunction.

Bottom line, you are taking a chance. 

Roll the dice, you might come up lucky, then again, who knows?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »
steups.  i know dread.  pus the phone i want go cost about $100 after shipping etc. to fork out that hard earned money to get shaft go be a bitch.  if only i could inveigle at&t to give meh a hookup :D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
steups.  i know dread.  pus the phone i want go cost about $100 after shipping etc. to fork out that hard earned money to get shaft go be a bitch.  if only i could inveigle at&t to give meh a hookup :D
some cell phone companies have refurbished phones (my daughter bought one from Telus here in BC, cheap, cheap. It worked out to be free. Mind you it was a plain phone)

and companies like these also
www.tigerdirect.com/
www.factorydirect.com/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:10:08 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:24:46 PM »
I've both bought and sold (because my dotish ass enter two auctions at de same time) phones on eBay.  No complaints... but the usual caveats apply as with other internet transactions with unknown traders.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
always look for a power seller

there are a lot of reputable companies that do business on EBAY, I know a good few people who have bought phones on EBAY with no problem

again, it is not 100% fool proof but go though all the options and look for the power sellers so at least you could minimize your risk

Més que un club.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »
Haven't done phones but I've done just about everything else, including a used lap-top. Just choose a seller with good feedback. A good way to test how reliable a seller would be is to ask them a question prior to bidding. If they get back to you soon and are courteous and professional you could expect them to be the same after auction closing.

Incidentally I went on ebay recently after a long hiatus and I notice some jacked up shipping prices. It seems that people trying ot make their cut on the shipping now.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »

Incidentally I went on ebay recently after a long hiatus and I notice some jacked up shipping prices. It seems that people trying ot make their cut on the shipping now.

I actually thought that was common knowledge that that's how people made money on eBay... those who not doing volume transactions at least.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »
Bought a couple phones to date on ebay with no problems. One recently last Dec.

Some tips..
- look for a power seller
- look at ratings
- send in a question or 2 to see if they respond and how fast
- use Pay Pal to complete the transaction. If you don't receive the item you can do a dispute and in "most" cases you will get your $$ back. Same can be said if you use a CC, you can do a chargeback. Both takes time though.
- be smart, if it's too cheap..run. Be realistic about what the phone you're looking at really costs.

BTW that brand phone you mentioned is a clone from China... there used to be several china clones on ebay but they're cracking down on those sellers.

1]; } ?>