April 20, 2024, 07:48:33 AM

Author Topic: Under 20: US Coach expects Jamaica to be tough  (Read 4802 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Under 20: US Coach expects Jamaica to be tough
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
The United States is expecting "a battle" against Jamaica when the two CONCACAF rivals clash in the first match of final round FIFA Under-20 World Cup football qualifiers tomorrow in Trinidad and Tobago.

According to US coach Thomas Rongen, the current squad is Jamaica's most talented in recent years. He expects both countries to finish in the top two from Group A, which also includes El Salvador and Honduras, and earn an automatic berth at the World Cup in Egypt later this year.

"This is one of the better youth Jamaican teams I've seen in a long time," Rongen said while attending Sunday's practice game between the young Reggae Boyz and Canada in the US "So we're in for a battle, which we understand.

"Based on what I've seen from Honduras and El Salvador, right now, if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Jamaica and the US."

Impressed coach

America's coach, who also scouted the Boyz during their last qualifying round in St Vincent and the Grenadines, has been impressed by Jamaica's team speed and organisation. He is also wary of the variety of ways the current Boyz can win games, even on the road.

"They have two or three special players," Rongen explained. "(Dever) Orgill, the front-runner, can score some goals obviously. They've got some speed.

"I'm very impressed with the captain at the back (Andre Darby). He's a very good player, plays with the ball, strong physically ... (Andre Blake) the goalkeeper (in St Vincent) I thought was very, very good."

Strikers Reneil Sappleton of Leicester City in England, who joined the Young Boyz last week, and Orgill, who is with Vancouver Whitecaps in North America, are Jamaica's only overseas-based professionals. Several Americans played in the last World Cup, plus nine of their 20-member squad are pros.

"Yes, being able to go to Europe, being able to play in the MLS (US Major League Soccer) daily in a good environment, you would like to think that that could benefit us," Rongen said.

US squad

The US squad includes two players with Jamaican parents. Collegiate goalkeeper Sean Johnson will be a reserve. But Anthony Wallace, a World Cup veteran who is signed with FC Dallas of the MLS, will play a much larger role. The midfielder/defender is also a team captain.

"We expect a lot from Anthony Wallace," the US coach said.

Rongen was not the only possible opponent in T&T who expects Jamaica to do well. Canada, which is in Group B with Mexico, Costa Rica and the host nation, believe the Boyz have narrowed the gap with their regional rivals.

"Athleticism is definitely a great weapon they (Jamaica) have; they have good speed," said coach Tony Fonseca, whose team lost 1-0 to the Boyz.

"The US is always a top team in CONCACAF. You can expect US will be very competitive, very strong and they will match up in the physicality (with Jamaica) ... (But) the teams are very even now."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Under 20: US Coach expects Jamaica to be tough
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Of courseall yuh does foul like some old yard fowl.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
I want Jamaica to beat the US; in fact while yuh at it El Salvador and Honduras beat them too.
whey boy!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
Dont fall for that trick RF

he just saying that to make you feel happy and get you off your edge.

well know tactics, plays into the mentality of the "island" people that everything go be irie. and when you hear the shout 20 mins into the game USA 2 Jamaica 0

forget the talk.

Play hard!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »
manhandle de yanks.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
I never believed that I would ever say this, but I want Jamrock to win.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »

well know tactics, plays into the mentality of the "island" people that everything go be irie. and when you hear the shout 20 mins into the game USA 2 Jamaica 0

forget the talk.

Play hard!

This bunch of under-20s include a couple players that played World Cup qualifying games away in Mexico city, San Pedro Sula and Canada in Jamaica's failed bid to qualify for the Hex. For them this is a last chance at redemption. Then there are other guys like John-Ross Doyley and about 3 others who  played in the finals of the Pan-Am games.

But JAmaica's chances will depend heavily on the form of Honduras and El Salvador. Those games will be key for Ja.

last time Jamaica hosted the final round for under-17 world cup qualifiers, they tied the USA in Kingston to advance to New Zealand. Now that the Caribbean is hosting, at least one of the two caribbean teams in the hunt should be looking to advance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:15:02 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
Actually RF, the Young U-17 Reggae Boyz drew 1-1 with the US team in 2000 with the likes of Landon Donovan, Marcus DeBeasley etc. When the US team realised that they would have to enter the final phase playoff against Honduras or El Salvador Donovan deliberately fouled our U-17 goalkeeper which earned him a direct red card.
You know the rest.
jjbrown

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »

forget the talk.

Play hard!

This bunch of under-20s include a couple players that played World Cup qualifying games away in Mexico city, San Pedro Sula and Canada in Jamaica's failed bid to qualify for the Hex. For them this is a last chance at redemption. Then there are other guys like John-Ross Doyley and about 3 others who  played in the finals of the Pan-Am games.

But JAmaica's chances will depend heavily on the form of Honduras and El Salvador. Those games will be key for Ja.

last time Jamaica hosted the final round for under-17 world cup qualifiers, they tied the USA in Kingston to advance to New Zealand. Now that the Caribbean is hosting, at least one of the two caribbean teams in the hunt should be looking to advance.

Hmmm. Thaaaaaat's oooooodd. I think I remember you guys hosting some tournament two years ago that were qualifying matches for something or the other. You remember that tournament? U-17 I think. How did that turn out?
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:07 PM »
Doh bust d man bubble.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »

forget the talk.

Play hard!

Hmmm. Thaaaaaat's oooooodd. I think I remember you guys hosting some tournament two years ago that were qualifying matches for something or the other. You remember that tournament? U-17 I think. How did that turn out?
I, for one, clearly remember T&T's U-17 team qualifying for that junior World Cup. How did that turn out?
jjbrown

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
So u remember we went WC and get licks but u cyah remember we beat all yuh in all yuh yard to qualify.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
how much US dollars for shin pads ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
how much US dollars for shin pads ???
Depends on the amount of "little princesses" you have crying everytime they play football. :rotfl: :rotfl:
jjbrown

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:48:20 AM »
ah have ah extra pair of shin pads to lend any canadian player
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:22:54 AM »
To hell with shin pads, them USA men need cups for they balls like what them cricket players wear.

Last time Jamaica youth team came T&T they was crying like baby because no one meet them in de airport, wonder what they will cry about this time....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:46:51 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
To hell with shin pads, them USA men need cups for they balls like what them cricket players wear.

Last time Jamaica youth team came T&T they was crying like baby because no one meet them in de airport, wonder what they will cry about this time....
no elevator in de two story 'otel :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: dat was good the first time around
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02:20 AM »

no elevator in de two story 'otel :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: dat was good the first time around

This message board seems to be a typical caribbean rum shop. Oh wait, Carnival season.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »

This message board seems to be a typical caribbean rum shop. Oh wait, Carnival season.

Why because yuh drunk? :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:17:24 AM »
I never hear Jamaicans happy. Never, and they dont take blame. They cry for everything.

Things so expensive in Jamaica, I hear when they visit T&T they does carry back a container ah food.

I guess empty vessels makes the most noise. No wonder they always crying....

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
I never hear Jamaicans happy. Never, and they dont take blame. They cry for everything.

Things so expensive in Jamaica, I hear when they visit T&T they does carry back a container ah food.

I guess empty vessels makes the most noise. No wonder they always crying....
Maybe the reason lies with you Trinis crying for shin guards everytime you play Jamaica. And if things are so expensive in Jamaica then it also seems that other nations like USA, European nations etc. take back containers of food when they leave T&T. ::) ::)

It would also seem that Olympic triple Gold medal Jamaican Usain Bolt also got his food supply from T&T. How else would the Trini whom finished 2nd celebrated as if he had won the Gold. How else indeed. 8)
jjbrown

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »
Bolt use to thief people goat and run with it on his shoulder while de police chasing him, so without the goat load he became very fast.

Wha de f00ck is ah Akie ...... a poison fruit.

Send more goat !!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
Bolt use to thief people goat and run with it on his shoulder while de police chasing him, so without the goat load he became very fast.

This is so funny!!

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »

Send more goat !!!!

This is a football thread...on a football forum. No need for you to attack the national dish of my country to satisfy your twisted ego. There was a program on TV recently showing guys in T&T hunting and killing Iguanas for a meal. Where I'm from, people dont eat lizards...where you from, people dont eat ackee (a fruit). No big deal.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:37:37 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

Send more goat !!!!

This is a football thread...on a football forum. No need for you to attack the national dish of my country to satisfy your twisted ego. There was a program on TV recently showing guys in T&T hunting and killing Iguanas for a meal. Where I'm from, people dont eat lizards...where you from, people dont eat ackee (a fruit). No big deal.

Yes some people east iguanas in T&T, but its not our national dish like yuh poison fruit allyuh does call fry egg.

We could afford eggs.

And at least we dont rape our food....

FULL STORY

Cops probe goat 'rape'
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:04:44 AM by Sam »

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »

Send more goat !!!!
So why wasn't he arrested. He had to stop running so he could kill the goat and cook it. Unless he stole the goat from T&T and ran across water to Jamaica. ;D
jjbrown

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

Send more goat !!!!

Yes some people east iguanas in T&T, but its not our national dish like yuh poison fruit allyuh does call fry egg.

We could afford eggs.

Cops probe goat 'rape'
There is a very simple reason for goat rape not mentioned in T&T. It is kept secret. ;D
jjbrown

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
So why wasn't he arrested. He had to stop running so he could kill the goat and cook it. Unless he stole the goat from T&T and ran across water to Jamaica. ;D

There is a very simple reason for goat rape not mentioned in T&T. It is kept secret. ;D

NOT REALLY GOOD AT BANTER HUH ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »

Send more goat !!!!

We could afford eggs.

Cops probe goat 'rape'

Attention..... T&T nationals, hide your goat, Jamaica will be visiting T&T soon.....

News flash

Police shut down Post of Spain docks as a container of stolen goats was discovered on a ship which was destine for Kingston, Jamaica.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 11:33:25 AM »
Oh gard Sam... yuh killing meh.....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>