April 25, 2024, 10:57:15 PM

Author Topic: Haiti replaces Cuba in Gold Cup  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Haiti replaces Cuba in Gold Cup
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azetc/articles/2009/03/09/20090309goldcupsoccerON.html

Gold Cup soccer coming to Valley
Mar. 9, 2009 10:21 AM
Associated Press
NEW YORK - The CONCACAF Gold Cup will be played in 13 U.S. cities, with the semifinals at Chicago's Solider Field on July 23 and the championship three days later at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale will host a first-round doubleheader on July 12.

The other first-round sites are the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. (July 3); Seattle's Qwest Field (July 4); the Oakland Coliseum (July 5); Columbus Crew Stadium (July 7); Washington's Robert F. Kennedy Stadium (July 8); Houston's Reliant Stadium (July 9); Miami's Florida International Stadium (July 10); and Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. (July 11).  

The number of venues is more than double the previous high of six. The tournament, the championship of soccer's North and Central American and Caribbean region, opens July 3 and each venue will hold one doubleheader, except for the final.

The quarterfinals will be at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field on July 18 and the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington, Texas, the following day. It is expected to be the first sports event at the Cowboys' stadium.

The U.S. is expected to send a relatively young roster for the tournament after using veterans in June at the FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa. The U.S has won the tournament four times, including the past two editions in 2005 and 2007.

Twelve nations will be drawn into three first-round groups: Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Mexico, Panama and the United States.

Four venues will use artificial turf: Arlington, Foxboro, Miami and Seattle. Grass will be installed over the artificial turf in East Rutherford, also the site of the 2005 final.

Cuba had qualified for the tournament but asked with Caribbean Football Union to withdraw and was replaced by Haiti. Two years ago, Cuban players Osvaldo Alonso and Lester More failed to show for a first-round game at Houston and defected.

CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer said Cuba's decision was not related to the defections.

"There are legitimate issues that the Cubans had," Blazer said. "They have an issue right now with the number of players they have and what they have to do to develop a fully competitive team
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Haiti replaces Cuba in Gold Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
I wonder if another team would be willing to pull out  ;)
whey boy!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
Why Haiti and not T&T  ???

Where is Jackula when we need him  :devil:

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

Because I think they were in the same group and failed to get one of the 2 places.I THINK SO FROM WHAT I MEMBA.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »

Because I think they were in the same group and failed to get one of the 2 places.I THINK SO FROM WHAT I MEMBA.

HAiti will pull out for financial reasons

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »

HAiti will pull out for financial reasons

true...so according to that logic we'd need the Reggae or Spice team to pull out for us to bless the Gold Cup and ah doubt that happening

so if haiti pull out we get a pass? or antigua? (unlikely)
whey boy!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »
It is because they were CFU champs the year before.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »
Just found out that Haiti won a drawing of lots with T&T for the right to replace Haiti. :(

So if Haiti drop out we will be next.  ;)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »

Like if the Haitians would not defect too, like the cubans.  by the 2nd Match haiti will be playing with 8 men  :rotfl:

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »
Dammit all I get is the semifinals?  Better be some decent teams in there, NO USA  >:( 

Anyone know when the draw will be?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:16:56 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
Just found out that Haiti won a drawing of lots with T&T for the right to replace Haiti. :(

So if Haiti drop out we will be next.  ;)

We had equal records in the CFU finals. Therefore a draw was held:

1W 1D 1L same goal differential (0) 4GF 4GA
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:29:40 PM by E-man »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Seattle among 13 cities to host CONCACAF Gold Cup matches

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2008832095_webgoldcup09.html?syndication=rss

NEW YORK — The CONCACAF Gold Cup will be played in 13 U.S. cities, with the semifinals at Chicago's Soldier Field on July 23 and the championship three days later at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

The number of venues is more than double the previous high of six. The tournament, the championship of soccer's North and Central American and Caribbean region, opens July 3 and each venue will hold one doubleheader, except for the final. The 1994 World Cup in the U.S. was played at nine venues.

The quarterfinals will be at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field on July 18 and the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington, Texas, the following day. It is expected to be the first sports event at the Cowboys' stadium.

The U.S. is expected to send a relatively young roster for the tournament after using veterans in June at the FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa. The U.S has won the tournament four times, including the last two editions in 2005 and 2007.

Twelve nations will be drawn into three first-round groups: Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Mexico, Panama and the United States.

First-round matches will be played at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. (July 3); Seattle's Qwest Field (July 4); the Oakland Coliseum (July 5); Columbus Crew Stadium (July 7); Washington's Robert F. Kennedy Stadium (July 8); Houston's Reliant Stadium (July 9); Miami's Florida International Stadium (July 10); Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. (July 11); and University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. (July 12).

Four venues will use artificial turf: Arlington, Foxboro, Miami and Seattle. Grass will be installed over the artificial turf in East Rutherford, also the site of the 2005 final.

Big Up!

Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
Guys,
            We don't derve to be there. We were beaten fair square in the opening rounds.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »

Like if the Haitians would not defect too, like the cubans.  by the 2nd Match haiti will be playing with 8 men  :rotfl:

Naah! Unlikely.

Most Haitian players have US Visas and/or live overseas.

However, since Dadou and the Sport Minister are at war in the media, the FHF may have trouble finding money to send the team to the GC. I suspect the FHF will also find it hard to convince local businesses to support the team after that shameful exit from the WCQ.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Yardie08

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »

Naah! Unlikely.

However, since Dadou and the Sport Minister are at war in the media, the FHF may have trouble finding money to send the team to the GC. I suspect the FHF will also find it hard to convince local businesses to support the team after that shameful exit from the WCQ.

So why didn't Haiti just defer to T&T since they still in WCQ and need the run (sort of like what Canada did for JA)?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
Fack dat ! it's maturana's fault! the 1st coach tuh fack we out the GC in our countries history! and we almost didn't make the hex in the very first round.

we better say thank god we not in the GC or else the world would get the opportunity to see the cabaux brand live and in living colour!                 shameful.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
Guys,

Sad but true but if we could get in d back door all yuh go get 2 c d bois. Is all yuh foreign base I am concern about.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
Guys,

Sad but true but if we could get in d back door all yuh go get 2 c d bois. Is all yuh foreign base I am concern about.
Tru dat , but they eh have no games in the medowlands anyway, so i on the fence in dat respect.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 08:04:25 PM »
Guys,

So was Haiti.

Denmark also did not qualify for the euros , they were a replacement team and the won.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Guys,

So was Haiti.

Denmark also did not qualify for the euros , they were a replacement team and the won.

In 1992 that happen u tink is time 4 it 2 happen again.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »
Guys,

So was Haiti.

In 1992 that happen u tink is time 4 it 2 happen again.

Sure , but only if Haiti give us their spot  ;D

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
Haiti should give up the spot to T&T.  They owe us.....remember 1973....its the least they could do.

We will call it even after that. ;)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
Haiti should give up the spot to T&T.  They owe us.....remember 1973....its the least they could do.
We will call it even after that. ;)
ah find so  :devil:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:16:37 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »

Naah! Unlikely.

So the Haitian Federation cant send the team to the Gold Cup withouth Government assistance?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
Fack dat ! it's maturana's fault! the 1st coach tuh fack we out the GC in our countries history! and we almost didn't make the hex in the very first round.

we better say thank god we not in the GC or else the world would get the opportunity to see the cabaux brand live and in living colour!                 shameful.

For your information in 1993 and 2003 we did not qualify for the GC.
Go easy with the mis-information it might have scouts reading that interested in Maturana.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
Aye,
        Haiti ain't owe us nothing. We don't deserve to be there. We playing this game too long. It is shame we have to beg and use "stale curry favour" to play in the GC. Like John Houseman use to say in the old Smith-Barney ads, "you have to earn it". We ain't earn 1 F. We lose. We stay home.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »
Aye,
        Haiti ain't owe us nothing. We don't deserve to be there. We playing this game too long. It is shame we have to beg and use "stale curry favour" to play in the GC. Like John Houseman use to say in the old Smith-Barney ads, "you have to earn it". We ain't earn 1 F. We lose. We stay home.

You know actually I don't agree.
If circumstances allow us to make an appearance in the tournament then so be it.
To say we don't deserve it does not gell with the times.
An example as someone said earlier is Denmark, if TT could enhance the tournament it makes sense, from a patriotic football standpoint it could give us a good measure of the hex.
The flip side to that is the other teams in the Hex that are in the tournament run the risk of injuries, we seeing and analysing their play and they not doing the same against us.
For me either way the GC this time around was no big deal primarily because of the new players , new coach , new synergy that TT is trying. The gold cup would expose our frailities and possibly be a detriment for the bigger picture.
Ask any fan from any of the countries where they would rather be GC or Hex ? Ask yourself.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
Stueps.  but Haiti still owe we for the world cup.

Coin toss keeps T&T out Gold Cup
Nigel Simon | 9:50 pm
Published: March 16th, 2009

T&T’s Soca Warriors missed out on participating at this year’s Concacaf Gold Cup in the USA on a coin toss loss to Haiti. The Haitians and Trinbagonians had both failed to qualify for this year’s tournament, bowing out before the semifinal stage of the Digicel Caribbean Championship last December, in Kingston, Jamaica. The four qualifiers from the 2008 Digicel Championship were champion, Jamaica, runner-up Grenada, Guadeloupe (third) and fourth placed Cuba.

However, the Cubans asked the Caribbean Football Union at its recently concluded Congress to withdraw from the tournament due to “legitimate issues" according to Concacaf general secretary Chuck Blazer who was also present at the CFU Congress. “They have an issue right now with the number of players they have and what they have to do to develop a fully competitive team” clarified Blazer. “Upon the request of the Cuban Football Association (AFC) and after prolonged discussions between the AFC, CFU and Concacaf, the CFU executive committee made the decision to replace Cuba with Haiti ahead of T&T by virtue of a coin toss.”

Both Haiti (Group B) and T&T (Group A), the only CFU team left in the 2010 World Cup Qualifying Series, finished third in their respective groups with the same number of points (four each) in the Finals Group stage of the Digicel Championships. In Jamaica, T&T beat Barbados 2-1 and drew 1-1 with Jamaica after losing to Grenada 2-1 in its opener.

This year’s Concacaf Gold Cup will be played in a record 13 different US cities, opening at The Home Depot Center in Los Angeles on Friday, July 3 and concluding with the championship match Sunday, July 26 at Giants Stadium outside New York. The qualifiers are Canada, Mexico and the United States from the North Zone; Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua from Central America; and Jamaica, Grenada, Guadeloupe and Haiti from the Caribbean.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:07:23 PM by Babalawo »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
buh wtf coin toss stueps  :-\
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks