April 20, 2024, 12:21:03 AM

Author Topic: Goalkeeping: Whose Hands are Safest?  (Read 9023 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeping: Whose Hands are Safest?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »
All i know is that if i was the US national team coach, i aint picking Howard over Friedel and if both Howard and Cech was at either Everton or Chelsea, no manager in they right mind putting Howard over him.

Injury or not, Cech is still better than Howard.  Before the injury my top three would have been Buffon, Cech and Cassilas.

But now i would have to replace Cech with Ceasar of Inter Milan.

ah love it!!

Can't argue with that.  I might even venture to say that, on current form, Julio Cesar mighta even replaced a pre-injury Petr Cech.  Time will determine his class. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 08:13:14 AM »
been following this thread with interest..

and just to make a note.

we were treated to some great exhibitions of goalkeeping over the last couple days by some of the top keepers mentioned in this thread.

Despite leaking 4 goals, Casillas was actually brilliant against Liverpool. Special mention for that one foot save on the shot from Torres, after Torres leave Pepe for dead.

Cech was brilliant against Juventus and Julio Cesar kept Inter in the game against Man United with some big saves on several occasions.

made for good viewing.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
And Cech continues to slide down the list after another poor performance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7977038.stm
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

giggsy11

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 04:57:58 AM »
And Cech continues to slide down the list after another poor performance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7977038.stm

He sure as hell did not slide PAST your boy Tim Howard. Did you check Howard out against Aston Villa? Can you say flayling?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:15 AM »
Current form:  Julio Caesar is #1.  But Gigi is still class and still comes up with clutch saves when called upon.  Still working his way back to peak performance.  I like Reina for starting the offence from the back and coming up with the assists; he plays well with his feet.  My Others: Casillas, Reina, Frey, Given, Friedel, and Cech on his day.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 07:13:20 AM »
Chec is a very good goalkeeper that is simply out of form at the moment.

Here are the stats from the EPL site.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Top10Keepers/0,,12306,00.html

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »
Cech looked absolutely terrible on Aurelio's freekick yesterday. But that's not what's been his frailty of late imo. Technical, he's still one of the best shot stoppers I've seen..but since his head injury, Cech has been terrible at any kind of save to his blind side. Most keepers when timing crosses, looped balls..whatever sometimes have to move their feet and backpeddle without knowing what is behind them and not entirely sure if defenders and strikers coming down on the back of them. I think that head injury have Cech a little apprehensive of that. Look at the kind of crosses he flails at...look at the 2nd Bolton goal on Saturday. De man doh pelt his frame backwards again..If he cyah see it..he brakesing.

I ent no Chelsea fan or a goalie, so is not like a real analyze Cech to death. So forgive meh if I'm off the mark. leh me hear what the keepers or Chelsea fans think.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »
Cech looked absolutely terrible on Aurelio's freekick yesterday. But that's not what's been his frailty of late imo. Technical, he's still one of the best shot stoppers I've seen..but since his head injury, Cech has been terrible at any kind of save to his blind side. Most keepers when timing crosses, looped balls..whatever sometimes have to move their feet and backpeddle without knowing what is behind them and not entirely sure if defenders and strikers coming down on the back of them. I think that head injury have Cech a little apprehensive of that. Look at the kind of crosses he flails at...look at the 2nd Bolton goal on Saturday. De man doh pelt his frame backwards again..If he cyah see it..he brakesing.

I ent no Chelsea fan or a goalie, so is not like a real analyze Cech to death. So forgive meh if I'm off the mark. leh me hear what the keepers or Chelsea fans think.

A technical shot stopper....hmmmmm

He was shocking yesterday, but he just inconsistent. I don't think his head injury matters much (his head gear is mostly his identity now) at this point. I think now that Chelsea is getting a little more cavalier in their attack he is having to do a lot of adjusting. His trainning is lagging behind.  Ithink you may see a more improved performance as they include more him more in the team tactics.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »
Buffon says he's no longer best goalkeeper

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9458422/Buffon-says-he%27s-no-longer-best-goalkeeper

MILAN (AP) - Gianluigi Buffon thinks rival Julio Cesar has edged him as the world's best goalkeeper.

"He's better than me now," the Juventus keeper said of his counterpart at Inter Milan.

Julio Cesar is in the process of guiding Inter to its fourth straight Italian league title, while Buffon's Juventus is second in Serie A - 10 points back.

Buffon missed several months earlier this season with a muscle injury and he has allowed six goals in Juve's last two games, a 3-3 draw with Chievo Verona and a 3-2 loss to Genoa.

"When you're always expected to compete at a high level, it can happen," Buffon said on Italian TV late Tuesday.

Buffon helped Italy win the World Cup in 2006 by allowing only one goal from normal play over seven games - and an own-goal at that, by Cristian Zaccardo against the United States.

Julio Cesar's Brazil beat Buffon's Italy 2-0 in a friendly in London in February and the pair meet again Saturday when Juventus hosts Inter.

"Inter deserves the title for all that it's accomplished this year," Buffon said, adding that Juventus is still feeling the effects of the Italian match-fixing scandal.

Juventus was relegated to Serie B for a season for its leading role in the scandal and top players Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Patrick Vieira transferred to Inter.

"The scandal crushed us," Buffon said. "Nobody had to deal with it like Juventus did."

While saying he wants to stay at Juventus for now, Buffon indicated he could be open to a move in the future.

"The more goals I allow the higher the offers get," Buffon said. "When I was 23 I was valued at €50 million and now at 31 it's €50-?60 million, still more than many players put together. I understand what an offer you can't refuse means, even though I'm in love with Juventus."

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »
Alyuh look Omar. What's up yuh hiding from Bakes or what?  :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 09:13:19 AM »

steups, you fuh real?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »
Is GiGi and any 10 yes.

And as a Barca man, I had to say much respect to Casillas. Many a time yuh her Real get a 4 goal drubbing and yuh think "SO MUCH" but when yuh check it, it could've been 8 or 9 easily had it not been for the heroics of Casillas.

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »
Is GiGi and any 10 yes.

And as a Barca man, I had to say much respect to Casillas. Many a time yuh her Real get a 4 goal drubbing and yuh think "SO MUCH" but when yuh check it, it could've been 8 or 9 easily had it not been for the heroics of Casillas.

Many a time my ass....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
Gigi Buffon full stop
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
I think Chech gettin somewhat of a raw deal.  Yesterday there was one attrocious play by him on the first goal.  the penalty he picked a side and guessed wrong and the the other 2 weren't necessarily balls many keepers would be expected to save.  The result looks much worse than the effort put in I think.  True his form isn't where it used to be but I wouldn't hold the last 3 goals of yesterdays match against him individually

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 07:34:50 AM »
Gigi Buffon full stop

I second dat...Class is permanent.  Gigi maybe needs a fresh challenge and environment.  But don't forget, he is getting up in age, although they do tend to get like fine wine.

giggsy11

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »
Gigi Buffon full stop

I second dat...Class is permanent.  Gigi maybe needs a fresh challenge and environment.  But don't forget, he is getting up in age, although they do tend to get like fine wine.

Would love to see him at United!

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »
Gigi Buffon full stop

True...but he looking shaky these days
not as confident on cross balls as he once was and coming off his line

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »

steups, you fuh real?

:rotfl: how de ass i miss dat  :devil:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »
Gigi Buffon full stop

He'll return to his best.  A lil rest in the offseason, followed by a solid preseason and run of games, and Gigi will be back to his best.  He was out for a very long time, and goalkeepers, really need to be in rhythm.  Try playing in goal after not having been between the posts for months.  It literally feels like a strange land. 

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
I doh find Buffon came back lookin' bad at all.  I see de man make some saves that was absolutely incredible, ESPECIALLY for a man coming off a long layoff through injury.  When man critique a 'keeper on "cross balls" man hadda consider there are a whole lot more going on with those than other aspects of the position like shot-stopping, positioning, etc, that we may not be seeing.  Just something to consider.  I find Buffon was very gracious in his comments about Julio Cesar, but he is still in the top three for me.

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:43 AM »
i agree troy marquis was good too
bajanscout

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
Forumites who want to provide suggestions, please do. I will appreciate that very much. You do not have to be a goalkeeper expert to respond. But I would be interested in some good constructive evaluation on keepers. In addition, if anyone has any comments on the evaluation such as (correction, addition, deletion) feel free to let me know.

I will try to post a form that will help soon.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »
Is like i once read......a top goalkeeper does not necessarily earn points for his team, but does not cost his team points (eg cassilas vs juve & cech in euro). my number 1 will always be supergigi & for all d naysayers just check out the man in action this weekend gone against inter. But i still eh no how ppl eh mention dis man IMO one of the best around who should be playing at a bigger club

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
Is like i once read......a top goalkeeper does not necessarily earn points for his team, but does not cost his team points (eg cassilas vs juve & cech in euro). my number 1 will always be supergigi & for all d naysayers just check out the man in action this weekend gone against inter. But i still eh no how ppl eh mention dis man IMO one of the best around who should be playing at a bigger club

I mentioned him a while back, jed:    http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=42183.msg531336#msg531336

I tired see him "win points" for Bolton and have him very high on my list for best in the world.  People does get tie up because he playing for "Bolton."

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »
Gigi Buffon full stop

He'll return to his best.  A lil rest in the offseason, followed by a solid preseason and run of games, and Gigi will be back to his best.  He was out for a very long time, and goalkeepers, really need to be in rhythm.  Try playing in goal after not having been between the posts for months.  It literally feels like a strange land. 

That will most definitely happen i think
same with Cech...
but i'm just going on current form.
not judging keepers on their history..i'm judging them on the current season and their present form really

Cesar, Van der Sar, casillas, frey, buffon

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »

Jaaskelainen is ah real good shout.. Another man who I rate highly is Andres Palop from Sevilla.

On another note, now that the covers of a solid Liverpool defence getting pulled off of Reina, notice that he not looking too good. I always thought he was over-rated and its showing now that he have to actually save some shots in games.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
Coupet aint no mug. He doesnt get as much props as he deserves because he played mostly in the  :)french league.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »
...on a side note that somewhat relative to the thread......this seems to be becoming more and more phenomenal to me but there is really a serious sprouting up of Brazilian goalkeepers throughout Europe that I am not necessarily seeing of any other country, let alone for non-European players.......let alone for Brazil (by other people's expectations  ;D)  I now seeing that Roma have a next Brazilian in net again behind Doni.  WTF?!?!  Where Brazil gettin' all these 'keepers from all of a sudden?

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2009, 02:08:21 PM »
Friedel picks up fourth shutout in a row

Aston Villa's Brad Friedel picked up his fourth straight shutout with a 1-0 win over Stoke City on Saturday. Villa moved to within two points of second-place Manchester United with the victory.

Friedel had little to do against Stoke, whose only threat, a long-range effort from Glenn Whelan, forced the American keeper to scramble to his left.

(continue)

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

1]; } ?>