May 14, 2024, 01:52:48 PM

Author Topic: T&T U-20s saunter towards Egypt  (Read 9372 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T U-20s saunter towards Egypt
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »
T&T U-20s saunter towards Egypt
By Lasana Liburd (T&T Express)

Youths get everything easy these days, don't they?

Nineteen years ago, it took the Dwight Yorke-led national under-20 team ten matches-eight wins, one draw and one defeat -to book a place at the 1991 World Youth Championships in Portugal. And, even then, they were forced to endure another nervous 90 minutes as Mexico defeated the United States 3-1 to ensure that Trinidad and Tobago and not the US qualified as the second best team.

Captain Leston Paul and his men are virtually there after just two games and with only one victory. Once Costa Rica do not lose to Canada this evening, Trinidad and Tobago will participate in the 2009 World Youth Championship in Egypt, no matter the results in their remaining three matches.

From the eight youth teams in Trinidad and Tobago at present, four will go on to the FIFA tournament, which suggests that it is as difficult to be eliminated from the qualifying series as it is to advance to the global showpiece.

They don't make these challenges the way they used to. It is no fault of Paul and company, of course, it is just the way of the world, I suppose

It is the era of cellphones for infants, secondary school for all and free music, movies, dictionaries and whatever else you can think of on the Internet. So, why not a World Cup that a team needs only one victory to qualify for?

It will be the second FIFA tournament for 12 of the present Trinidad and Tobago squad, who also participated in the 2007 Under-17 tournament in Korea. In that qualifying series, five of the last nine teams advanced.

Forty-year-old Russell Latapy, a local football icon and present player/ assistant coach, would have played in youth and senior World Cups by the time he was 21 with today's qualification standards, instead of just the one in Germany when he was a ripe, old 38.

And, yet, there is a certain beauty in the naivety of these teenagers too.

The belief that everything is not only possible but also uncomplicated has started the trend of teenage success stories across the globe, which is surely unparalleled in any previous generation.

So, although we acknowledge that Glenroy Samuel and Akeem Adams will accomplish in a trot what it took former standouts like Jerren Nixon and Angus Eve a marathon to finish, let us still wonder at the fearlessness of these football babies.

There was a saying that Trinidad and Tobago football teams start tripping over themselves with fear whenever their opponents spoke Spanish. But, on Monday, it was the hosts who dictated terms to a strong Costa Rican team-six members of the Costa Rica squad got to the second round of the 2007 Under-17 World Cup where they were eliminated 2-0 by Argentina.

At 7 p.m. today, the young "Soca Warriors" will trot on the Marvin Lee Stadium surface in Macoya, fully expecting a victory against Mexico. Is that not wonderful?

Sean de Silva and Qian Grosvenor might never fully appreciate the sacrifices made by the likes of Anthony Sherwood and Dean Pacheco to be part of the first English-speaking Caribbean team to qualify for a World Cup.

Just like no teenager in these parts can fathom a day, let alone an entire childhood, without a cellphone.

But their plucky spirits might be a lesson to us all and could make the world a much simpler place to live in. Let us hope that their courage is contagious.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-20s saunter towards Egypt
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:11:02 PM »
lasana, whats with the wet blanket tone?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »
lasana, whats with the wet blanket tone?

Ent, a bit puzzling to me, all the same, Matale Mejico manana!!!!!!!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
Big Up Anthony Sherwood and Akeem Adams.

PRES FOREVER!!!!
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
Me ent find is no wet blanket scene... just yesterday I was studying de same ting...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »
What's his f**kin problem?Now that we easily on the verge of qualifying, he making it look like it was too easy for us to do so. f**k off Lasana.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
unlike allyuh post
LASANA LIBURB IS THE BEST EVER TNT FOOTBALL JOURNALIST "EVER"...FULL FACKIN STOP
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
What's his f**kin problem?Now that we easily on the verge of qualifying, he making it look like it was too easy for us to do so. f**k off Lasana.

allyuh men for real?
what is your problem with the article? go back and read it again without the emotion and let it soak in...

read from here go down

So, although we acknowledge that Glenroy Samuel and Akeem Adams will accomplish in a trot what it took former standouts like Jerren Nixon and Angus Eve a marathon to finish, let us still wonder at the fearlessness of these football babies.

is ah good article
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
Lasana is an Artist and words are his medium to create a unique masterpiece in every article.
He uses no formula, therefore we, as readers, are not in a positon to anticipate what he will write.

OR
maybe he jez ole and cyar handle all dese IPods, cell phones and Wii's :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:58:27 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »
go tnt  :wavetowel:

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
the man ent lie

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:51:57 PM »
At the CR game I only studying if them fellahs realise all they have to do is win the game to go a World Cup   :o And they were up a man!!!

Normally we would go through the Caribbean Qualifying rounds first but we hosting the final so get an automatic berth.
It wouldn't have looked so easy if we hadn't gotten that goal against Canada.
But 3 games to qualify in the final round u cah deny it doh get better than that.  The bye from Caribbean Qualifying not necessarily making it any easier losing preparation games though you could pick who you want to play against in the warm ups.

I feel the Mexicans go be vex and play hard.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
FF, i was really addressing the first part of the piece here where he tempers the mood by suggesting that qualifying for the youth World Cup is a much easier feat these days..

From the eight youth teams in Trinidad and Tobago at present, four will go on to the FIFA tournament, which suggests that it is as difficult to be eliminated from the qualifying series as it is to advance to the global showpiece.

They don't make these challenges the way they used to. It is no fault of Paul and company, of course, it is just the way of the world, I suppose

It is the era of cellphones for infants, secondary school for all and free music, movies, dictionaries and whatever else you can think of on the Internet. So, why not a World Cup that a team needs only one victory to qualify for?

It will be the second FIFA tournament for 12 of the present Trinidad and Tobago squad, who also participated in the 2007 Under-17 tournament in Korea. In that qualifying series, five of the last nine teams advanced.

Forty-year-old Russell Latapy, a local football icon and present player/ assistant coach, would have played in youth and senior World Cups by the time he was 21 with today's qualification standards, instead of just the one in Germany when he was a ripe, old 38.

And, yet, there is a certain beauty in the naivety of these teenagers too.

The belief that everything is not only possible but also uncomplicated has started the trend of teenage success stories across the globe, which is surely unparalleled in any previous generation.

i not knocking Lasana as a writer, and I agree with BM that he is the best journalist in Trinidad right now. i really enjoy reading his stuff.

However, I personally just find when things going rough, he does come out lash hard (which is all well and good).. But on the other hand when things going good, he does still find a way to attach some kinda slant to counter the positive or to take the shine off the achievements..

When we were winning games in the warm ups in Argentina he made it his business to lament the quality of the opposition. When we beat the USA, he was less than effusive.  When we hired Latapy, he alluded to tension between Latapy and Maturana in an article that could only have been described as mischievous.

Now we doing something in the under-20, he feels we must be reminded that it is just as easy to qualify as it is to be eliminated. Of course, never mind the fact that the Hex to qualify for the World Cup is 3 automatic places out of 6, and a potential 4th.

i dont know if his mandate is to be a critic... or maybe is just me.

but i just calling it as i see it.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »
I hope that us as fans and de team  don't have the attitude that we have already qualified or qualification is a done deal.  I hope the coaching staff has the team focused because the job is not complete yet.  Yes we have one foot in Egypt, so to speak, but we need to have two.

We have November 19th, 1989 as an everlasting reminder of what it's like to have one foot in the door but still not make it inside.

So good luck young warriors.  Allyuh win one battle and a half, now win de last battle tonight and de war will be won.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:16 AM »
Yeh I hearin too much talk about how little we have to do to qualify.
We eh qualify for nutten yet!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:13 AM »
we strikers throwing away too damn much. we so dependent on jamaal gay?
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 04:57:27 AM »
Qualify? I want them to win the whole damn thing and make people raise a eyebrow when they hear TNT name call in EGYPT.  Good luck fellas and play like yuh life dependent on winning the tournament.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 05:14:29 AM »
unlike allyuh post
LASANA LIBURB IS THE BEST EVER TNT FOOTBALL JOURNALIST "EVER"...FULL FACKIN STOP

AGREED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lasana is boss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and people DONT like to hear de truth....

PS: That legal alien fella might be Jack himself.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 06:06:01 AM »
Whether the article good or not, the timing is poor. What is the benefit to releasing it on the eve of the last game, before qualification even booked? To make the youths feel bad? To make them feel complacent?

How is this article it beneficial to ANYBODY at this point in time, whether he making sense or pointing something valid out?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 06:18:27 AM »
Whether the article good or not, the timing is poor. What is the benefit to releasing it on the eve of the last game, before qualification even booked? To make the youths feel bad? To make them feel complacent?

How is this article it beneficial to ANYBODY at this point in time, whether he making sense or pointing something valid out?

It is beneficial to the paper publishing it becuase their job is to write football articles. The author cannot be concerned about jinxing qualification, upsetting players or making them ffe too good. That is a job for the team spokesperson/media rep. He didn't say that they have qualified but that they are in a position to qualify and are doing it with ease so far - which is the case not so?

Anyway we seem to be missing the bigger point that our youth teams are more competitive than they have ever been in the last couple years. This is what we have always wanted but now it is happening. We should be asking why and/or how so that we can continue doing the things that are working.

Is this the fruition of Lincoln's work behind the scenes? People always accuse hime of being a  bamsee licker in collusion with teh TTFF. Is it possible that he is actually doing good?

Is this a natural knock-on effect from our senior qualification? Are the players inspired or has the TTFF learnt from that experience and are preparing our junior teams better as a result?

Are the foreign coaches like Wim, Don Leo and Maturana hhaving a positive effect on our local coaches/players?

Are we just getting lucky?

And the BIG ONE...

Should Jack Warner be getting credit
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »
Allyuh reading selective. Read that article again and you will see numerous statements of praise for the team, including the last statement.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 06:34:23 AM »
It is beneficial to the paper publishing it becuase their job is to write football articles. The author cannot be concerned about jinxing qualification, upsetting players or making them ffe too good.

Exactly...which is why we have a right to criticise Lasana. He not concerned about the welfare of the team, just himself and the paper, contrary to how we always see him as somebody fighting for the people against Jack and reporting the facts. He turning into a journalist just trying to pounce on an ounce of information and trying sensationalise it into an issue.

Bottomline: the timing was poor if he truly cares about Trinidad football, especially when we not dealing with seasoned professionals but teenagers who we trying to keep grounded and want to keep encouraging to work hard to improve .

And as for the rest of your post, I praising Lincoln cause this is the u-15 team he first started workign with when we started having that regional u-15 tournament, right? He said we wouldn't see the benefits til 2014 and we seem to be right on track.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »
Allyuh reading selective. Read that article again and you will see numerous statements of praise for the team, including the last statement.

I not saying he not praising the team, I saying how he making them feel like it easy and that all the hardwork done and they "reach" without having to do much.

To me, that gives them the impression that:

1) they qualify already so they could ease off the gas pedal
2) it wasn't that hard and they "reach" so they doh have to work harder in the future
3) them getting to where they are was not due to their effort or the hard work they actually have put in, but owed to the circumstances aroudn them. This implies that their level of effort or lack of effort in some cases, does not have a direct effect on the actual results they reap.

Maybe I study too much about human behaviour and psychology but there is no doubt in my mind that this article can have those effects on young, impressionable teenage minds.

Let me reiterate though, i not against the article itself - just the timing of its release right before a crucial game. He shoulda put it tomorrow next to the report of the game when we basking in the euphoria.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:42:04 AM by spideybuff »

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »
One thing that we definitely need to improve on is how maga our players look.  They need a lot of work.  I don't know if it is part of their preparation but gym work needs to be incorporated in our players daily routine they are way too skinny.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
Lisana is up to it again.  He has a much documented conflict with the TTFF and in point, Jack Warner.

This article is not one of his better ones in terms of his motive.  He talks about this team as if they won a simple game.  They beat and outplayed a Canadian side that has been to more world cups at this level than us.  

The same Canadian side beat perenial power houses Mexico 2-0 a couple days after while we held a costa rican side that was made up of their U17 side that made it to the second round.

This team has been together for more than 3 years.  They won the Super league and alot of money has been spent in keeping them together.  Where is the acknowledgement of that.  Has a youth team of ours ever been this much prepared? Who deserves credit? Lincoln? Jack?

Maybe if we go back to a couple of years ago when a Brian Williams led side lost to Grenada in the preliminary qualifying round at home, maybe that would be better.  

Another point is the fact that the team has not even qualified as yet.  What if, God forbid, Canada beats Costa Rica 1-0 and Mexico beat us 2-0.  What is the point of this article?

Why doesnt he point out that maybe our future is in good hands, cause these are the same teams we will be competing against for the 2014 and 2018 world cups?  

Lisana is a very brave writer who is excellent at what he does, but dont be blind to the fact that there is another motive here.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »

I not saying he not praising the team, I saying how he making them feel like it easy and that all the hardwork done and they "reach" without having to do much.

To me, that gives them the impression that:

1) they qualify already so they could ease off the gas pedal
2) it wasn't that hard and they "reach" so they doh have to work harder in the future
3) them getting to where they are was not due to their effort or the hard work they actually have put in, but owed to the circumstances aroudn them. This implies that their level of effort or lack of effort in some cases, does not have a direct effect on the actual results they reap.

Maybe I study too much about human behaviour and psychology but there is no doubt in my mind that this article can have those effects on young, impressionable teenage minds.

Let me reiterate though, i not against the article itself - just the timing of its release right before a crucial game. He shoulda put it tomorrow next to the report of the game when we basking in the euphoria.

Let me put it to you this way. If it is the timing you are concerned about, good coaches know their team and know how to isolate their charges before a big game if need be. Press is press, and the football will deal with itself. There never has been and never will be any right or wrong timing because one person may take the article and use it differently to another. Tough as nails vs thin skin. It all comes down to what each person and the team as a whole needs to hear before game time. A good coach will have already sorted out his team's mental prep regardless of what the press is saying.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:44 AM »
It is beneficial to the paper publishing it becuase their job is to write football articles. The author cannot be concerned about jinxing qualification, upsetting players or making them ffe too good.

Exactly...which is why we have a right to criticise Lasana. He not concerned about the welfare of the team, just himself and the paper, contrary to how we always see him as somebody fighting for the people against Jack and reporting the facts. He turning into a journalist just trying to pounce on an ounce of information and trying sensationalise it into an issue.

Bottomline: the timing was poor if he truly cares about Trinidad football, especially when we not dealing with seasoned professionals but teenagers who we trying to keep grounded and want to keep encouraging to work hard to improve .

Spidey yuh not being fair. It is not his job to be a cheerleader or to help manage the teams' progress or limit expectations. That is our job as fans. I am sure he is a fan too but when you are writing for a living you should be objective and give people a good story and not be influenced by personal bias such as - "I don't want to jinx the team". As football journalists or pundits they just have to write it as they see it. If he see it as TnT playing weel and are favourites to qualify then he is doing nothing wrong by writing that.

The whole - trying to keep grounded issue is one for fans and team management.

Interesting note. I was just reading This Post by Tallman. A preview piece by Lasana and it seems like the media had to be reminding the Vranes that TnT has not qualified yet. So who is at more risk of (and who has more responsibility for) keeping the players grounded.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:00:09 AM by JDB »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »
Lisana is a very brave writer who is excellent at what he does, but dont be blind to the fact that there is another motive here.

This I agree with. You could make the case that the subtext is that the qualification procedures have changed and it has favoured this crop of players compared to players in the past.

A better or more complete article would include all the qualification scenarios but again, this is seems to be a feature piece. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual game preview or other coverage in the same paper covers those issues.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:25 AM »
Just to confirm what was being said by some posters (especially spideybuff)

I just found out from a source in the camp that Lisana's article did have a negative effect on our young U 20 team.  First thing this morning at breakfast the players talking about it.

Sean De Silva was quoted as saying this morning that "Allyuh read de express? They real hating on us boy!"

Well done Mr. Libird, well done!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
kids will be kids andre...let sean father sit him down and break de article down...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>