April 29, 2024, 07:02:39 AM

Author Topic: UEFA drops ESPN  (Read 3697 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
UEFA drops ESPN
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »
UEFA drops ESPN, picks Fox for Champs League dealAssociated Press
NYON, Switzerland (AP) - UEFA has dropped ESPN as its Champions League broadcast partner in Central and South America and awarded the rights to the Fox network for the next three years, the governing body of European football said Tuesday.

Fox Sports Latin America's pay channels will screen the Champions League and the Europa League - the rebranded UEFA Cup - for the 2009-2012 seasons.

UEFA said in a statement it wished "to thank ESPN for its contribution and commitment to both competitions in the region during recent seasons.

They have been a highly valued partner ... and have done a great job of broadcasting both competitions."

What Fox paid for the broadcast rights, which does not cover Brazil, was not disclosed.

UEFA said it will later award a further package of free-to-air rights.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA drops ESPN
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
All I want to know now is when dey go drop dem in North America?

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »

Tommy Smythe is the whole problem in ESPN North America. If they get rid of that leprechaun, product will enhance 200%. Hopefully he fall in a pothole and get lost for St. Patty's this weekend.

ESPN getting the shaft allround with football. First they lose out in the EPL, now in CL.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »

Tommy Smythe is the whole problem in ESPN North America. If they get rid of that leprechaun, product will enhance 200%. Hopefully he fall in a pothole and get lost for St. Patty's this weekend.

ESPN getting the shaft allround with football. First they lose out in the EPL, now in CL.

I hardly think that constitutes "getting the shaft"... the EPL was always a longshot, especially with Murdoch's influence.  Similarly it's no surprise that FOX got the South American contract.  Had ESPN lost the North American contract then you might call it getting the shaft.  ESPN's Spanish language broadcasts are but a small part of its business.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
Problem is ESPN has not really committed to football in North America. They have the exclusive rights but only showing two games a week on the main channels. All them other channels, Classic, Deportes, 360 that have the other games all have restrictions that limit their reach.

There is too much football out there for ESPN to be buying rights and then trying to stick games in around their other programming. Unless they plan to dedicate a channel to football like Fox they just wasting people time.

The good thing about ESPN for UEFA is that after being on there for 7 years a lot of Americans who did not subscribe to FSW/FSC get hooked on the CL football. ESPN did increase their coverage over this time. I remember when it was only one match a week on ESPN/ESPN2 instead of two. These fans would probably continue to follow the CL if it moves to Fox now.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
on ah side note, Tommy Smythe is de worst dread....

is two diatribe the man gone off in today talking about a whole setta unknown Irish players you know..

not one but two!!

and the only irish player on the pitch was o'shea!

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:06:39 PM »
It look like I is de only one who doh mind Tommy Smythe.  I find he and Derek Rae make ah good team.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
I remember when it was only one match a week on ESPN/ESPN2 instead of two. These fans would probably continue to follow the CL if it moves to Fox now.

Yuh ent lie at all.....I remember they used to preempt knockout stage matches for March madness, jed.........and I eh talkin' 'bout marquee matchups, either, eh!  They have come a long way, (I remember they used to be preempting them knockout-stage games in North America but showing them on "ESPN International," a channel not available in the the us, not even on satellite) but is high time now that they either restructure their programming by shifting some of their college programmes (like cheerleading championchips, WTF?!?!) over to ESPNU and showing more of the games in the knockout stage......or just giving up the rights to CL to a more football-friendly carrier.    

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
Problem is ESPN has not really committed to football in North America. They have the exclusive rights but only showing two games a week on the main channels. All them other channels, Classic, Deportes, 360 that have the other games all have restrictions that limit their reach.

There is too much football out there for ESPN to be buying rights and then trying to stick games in around their other programming. Unless they plan to dedicate a channel to football like Fox they just wasting people time.

The good thing about ESPN for UEFA is that after being on there for 7 years a lot of Americans who did not subscribe to FSW/FSC get hooked on the CL football. ESPN did increase their coverage over this time. I remember when it was only one match a week on ESPN/ESPN2 instead of two. These fans would probably continue to follow the CL if it moves to Fox now.

Yeah... used tuh be just one game on a Tuesday/Wednesday. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say they not committed to football... but if anything the evidence in your favor.  I do see more football scores listed among the ticker items scrolling at the bottom... EPL, La Liga, Serie A, CL and UEFA games in particular.  I think the problem is that they don't think there's a sufficient market for football itself.  My sense is that they think there's a niche market for the leagues and championships listed... but that there wouldn't be sufficient interest there to sustain expanded coverage (outside of the non-english market, that is). 

Their recent overtures to secure additional broadcasts mitigates in favor of the notion that they recognize the potential however... that, their purchase of the MLS broadcast rights (albeit for a pittance), expansion of their off-field soccer programming (studio shows) and expansion of their talent roster all shows that they take it serious.  They just not ready to step up their game ala the European broadcasters... for understandable, albeit lamentable reasons.

It look like I is de only one who doh mind Tommy Smythe.  I find he and Derek Rae make ah good team.

He's entertaining enough... but I like Healey and Robbie Mustoe the best.

Especially in a market where the American people as a whole are still learning this game, you need people doing [objective, professional] commentary that can properly educate the masses of the laws and nuances of the game where they have such influence.

Solid point.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:22:08 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »

is two diatribe the man gone off in today talking about a whole setta unknown Irish players you know..

not one but two!!

sometimes he can be very entertaining but for the most part, his pro-manu bias can get downright annoying, he does talk a lot of nonsense, and a lot of times he can be very disingenuous in his commentary: many a time a player would play the ball against an opponent's hand or arm in clear cases of ball-to-hand as opposed to hand-to-ball and he would make a big deal out of the referee not calling a penalty/free-kick, etc.
Especially in a market where the American people as a whole are still learning this game, you need people doing commentary that can properly educate the masses of the laws and nuances of the game where they have such influence.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »

not one but two!!

sometimes he can be very entertaining but for the most part, his pro-manu bias can get downright annoying, he does talk a lot of nonsense, and a lot of times he can be very disingenuous in his commentary: many a time a player would play the ball against an opponent's hand or arm in clear cases of ball-to-hand as opposed to hand-to-ball and he would make a big deal out of the referee not calling a penalty/free-kick, etc.
Especially in a market where the American people as a whole are still learning this game, you need people doing commentary that can properly educate the masses of the laws and nuances of the game where they have such influence.

I usually enjoy Tommy Smythe commentary ... after all it is entertainment but he need to get it right ....Soca Warriors, NOT Soccer Warriors!!!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:44:55 PM »
is this a Tommy Smythe thread  ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
so if FSC getting champions league, that mean Flow might block them and make u pay separate to see it on setanta?
and direct tv dont get FSC............ ???
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
bullshit. oh well it have internet feeds if that happen
Youtube Channel

Offline gothic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
yea this feel like real bad news for me here in trini. I never watch anything on fox since it always seem to be blocked out

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »
so if FSC getting champions league, that mean Flow might block them and make u pay separate to see it on setanta?

DirecTV in the US has FSC - they also have this STS-1HD that does show games undercover, but never have an updated guide.

Never had DirecTV in TT, but can't you ask for specific channels in your package?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »

DirecTV in the US has FSC - they also have this STS-1HD that does show games undercover, but never have an updated guide.

Never had DirecTV in TT, but can't you ask for specific channels in your package?

they have the channels in group packages that you can take, but FLOW has the rights to FSC down here.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »

they have the channels in group packages that you can take, but FLOW has the rights to FSC down here.

Dat really sucks, Sammy.  Flow is de WORST!!!........do you know what it would cost to get Setanta in T&T (if it is even available) as part of a DirectTv package?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »

I doh find nothing wrong with Tommy Smythe.  He is passionate about eh game and provides decent analysis, along with nice asides bout the game in general.  What wrong with that?  Allyuh prefer to hear one of dem ex-American national team players or Julie Foudie who played the game, but still ain't have a clue bout the jargon and tactics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:27:43 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »

Dat really sucks, Sammy.  Flow is de WORST!!!........do you know what it would cost to get Setanta in T&T (if it is even available) as part of a DirectTv package?

i dunno boy, all they have is ESPN and Gol TV.

I jus glad we get high speed so that i can stream games.

FLOW is $75 extra to get setanta and sportsmax. I eh gone pay that money for stations that i will only watch a couple of times a week.
(Muslim)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »

I doh find nothing wrong with tommy Smythe.  He is passionate about eh game and provides decent analysis, along with nice asides bout the game in general.  What wrong with that?  Allyuh prefer toar on of dem ex-American nation team players or Julie Foudie who played the game, but still ain't have a clue bout the jargon and tactics.

Dize why I say he does be entertaining sometimes, but he does talk a lot a nonsense as well.  i fully agree wit yuh on The American so-called commentators/so-called analysts.  Pure nonsense!

FLOW is $75 extra to get setanta and sportsmax. I eh gone pay that money for stations that i will only watch a couple of times a week.

Tanx fuh de info boy, Sammy but oh GAWSH, Man, pay de $75.00 nuh man!! Allyuh manu people CHEAP eh!!  ;D

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

I doh find nothing wrong with tommy Smythe.  He is passionate about eh game and provides decent analysis, along with nice asides bout the game in general.  What wrong with that?  Allyuh prefer toar on of dem ex-American nation team players or Julie Foudie who played the game, but still ain't have a clue bout the jargon and tactics.

Dize why I say he does be entertaining sometimes, but he does talk a lot a nonsense as well.  i fully agree wit yuh on The American so-called commentators/so-called analysts.  Pure nonsense!

Tanx fuh de info boy, Sammy but oh GAWSH, Man, pay de $75.00 nuh man!! Allyuh manu people CHEAP eh!!  ;D

i wouldna mind paying it if they wasn't blocking FSC right now - i mean i woulda pay if FSC neva used to show EPL in the first place. Imagine i paying for FSC as part of the basic package, but they blocking games there to make me pay to watch it somewhere else? it come like i paying twice...and daiz duttiness.
i paying for high speed from tstt, and it good enough for me to stream games, so i good - for now
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

u have 75$ to give me  ::)
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »

sammy doh get me wrong, i actually think Tommy and Derek Rae make a great team and i actually enjoy their commentary.......

BUT..

Tommy so unashamedly bias that it has become a real turnoff. As long as is ah british side playing another team from the continent, he does morph into a fan with selective vision.

I tired seeing this man watch blatant fouls by british teams and turning a blind eye, then in the same breath lambasting the referee when borderline calls go in favor of the opposition.

I've listen to him chastise Ronaldinho for sublime pieces of skill by saying stuff like, "you have to wonder what is the purpose of the party tricks. For me he is not effective etc", but then turn around and lawd the laboring brand of a Darren Fletcher.

yesterday, in the middle of the commentary, we have to get a whole running history of ex-Irish players no one ever hear about.. And on two separate occasions. I was like, well lewwe get a history of some italians or man u greats too nuh man..

ah mean come on man.. Tommy could be one of my favorite commentators if he would just learn to commentate objectively.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »

A couple of my partners who are big rugby fans have an online subscription to Setanta since they don't have DTV - The quality is streaming HD, but if you don't have a 25" monitor, be prepared to squint.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »
Oh LAWD!!! As I'm watching the Ukrainian half of the UEFA Cup, Max Bretos reminds the viewing audience that FSC is the future home of Champions' League Football......and it dawned on me.........:praying: LAWD, ah PROMISE ah will go to church twice a week and tithe 25%, but PLEASE don't let Max Bretos be a commentator.  Ah take back everyting bad ah say about Tommy Smyth, please see to it that his resume makes it to FSC...Hire 'im, Lawd, hire 'im!! :praying:

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »
bretos alone?! is d whole pack ah dem FSC commentators...champions league go now have ah mls vibe...then again thank God for small mercies cuz it coulda be GOLTV

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 12:53:41 AM »
bretos alone?! is d whole pack ah dem FSC commentators...champions league go now have ah mls vibe...then again thank God for small mercies cuz it coulda be GOLTV

FSC will be using the native broadcasts and analysis... so whomever Sky Sports use to call the games that's who we'll hear on this side of the Atlantic.  Bretos and the Christopher Sullivans of the world will be limited to pre-game, halftime and post-game analysis.

So doh slit allyuh wrists just yet.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 05:35:53 AM »

FSC will be using the native broadcasts and analysis... so whomever Sky Sports use to call the games that's who we'll hear on this side of the Atlantic.  Bretos and the Christopher Sullivans of the world will be limited to pre-game, halftime and post-game analysis.

So doh slit allyuh wrists just yet.

Well, let's hope you ARE right and the format they're using for UEFA Cup is not a template for the CL next year and thereafter, even though I agree with what you're saying........just guardedly so.....I'll put away the razors and the garlic for now......
 I really don't find Christopher Sullivan to be so bad, though.  In fact, I don't find him to be bad at all.  Seems his job is to help the average and not-so-average american understand the game and he definitely isn't as boorish and butchering of the english language as Max Bretos is......nor is he as dumb. 

Splau, I will take them GolTv announcers any day, Ray Hudson, the whole package!  He never saw a Brazilian (or Argentinian) that he didn't like!

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 05:45:15 AM »
shucks I was just glad to be able to watch these games >:(
now Flow has more blocking to do...

1]; } ?>