April 26, 2024, 01:05:09 AM

Author Topic: IS T&T football on the rise?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IS T&T football on the rise?
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
Despite all the comess, this is a monumental period in the history of football in T&T. Let's not take this for granted. In less than 3 years we've qualified for a senior WC, an under 17 WC and an Under 20 WC. We have a group of youths who know what it is like to qualify for 2 youth WCs in a row and will come up believing they are among the best in Concacaf. And from what I understand, this current Under 20 team did it without the nation's most talented midfielder at that age group and it's best striker.

Yet the TTFF seems to be as inept as ever and most fans complain that there is just not the same level of talent coming up through the ranks. Is this progress a sign of things to come? Is it sustainable or just a flash in the pan? What do you guys think is the main reason we've accomplished so much in such a short time?

There have also been some high profile failures in the short time, but still, it's worth taking a step back and enjoying this purple patch in T&T football.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: IS T&T football on the rise?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
Despite all the comess, this is a monumental period in the history of football in T&T. Let's not take this for granted. In less than 3 years we've qualified for a senior WC, an under 17 WC and an Under 20 WC. We have a group of youths who know what it is like to qualify for 2 youth WCs in a row and will come up believing they are among the best in Concacaf. And from what I understand, this current Under 20 team did it without the nation's most talented midfielder at that age group and it's best striker.

Yet the TTFF seems to be as inept as ever and most fans complain that there is just not the same level of talent coming up through the ranks. Is this progress a sign of things to come? Is it sustainable or just a flash in the pan? What do you guys think is the main reason we've accomplished so much in such a short time?

There have also been some high profile failures in the short time, but still, it's worth taking a step back and enjoying this purple patch in T&T football.

This group has been kept and molded together for sometime (from U-15 through U-20), so that clearly has had something to do w/the 2 recent quals.  The senior team qual though coinciding w/the other two is somewhat separate though celebrated significantly all the same.  If this youth team continues to grow and develop their individual and team game as porfessionals, I see no reason why the qual for senior WC 2014 can't proceed w/o some sig measure of success.

Yes, it is a time to celebrate to some degree, the ineptitude though of TTFF will always have some measure of adverse effect on the state and dev of the game in the nation, but there are many +ves and examples to be taken away from that which has been applied to the youths
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:09:44 PM »
Good post. There seems to be some continuity between the under 17 and this under 20. I think about six players from the under17 of past years are on this team. Lincoln has to be given some credit.
 Additionaly this has been one of the better prepared team in terms of playing together and exposure to a higher level. With knox, gay and Hyland in the mix who knows where we may end up ion the big stage.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »
Imagine where our football could be if it wasn't fuh dem nincompoops running de TTFF.  But is nice to see that we are still making strides in spite of dem.  

Senior world cup in 06, under 17 world cup in 07 and under 20 world cup in 09 is not bad atall.  And we still in de runnning for senior world cup 2010.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes. I saying that long time now. From the victories of the U-17 to the ProLeague players getting tremendous opportunities in the wake of the bonus scandal to Joe Public blazing New England, the stars aligning themselves for a few years now. And the upsurge in coaching certification brought in by LP is helping to ensure we have leaders capable of meeting future needs

The question is, is it just an upsurge in footall business or can the powers that be also bring the crowds back to the games. This upswing will be much more viable over the long haul if they can tap into the grassroots and especially if they can make inroads in encouraging the Indian community to participate in the game at high levels.

Once the TTFF can uphold to the standards they set with these youths and have a few good ideas like keeping teams in Super and Pro leagues we should keep this momentum going for some time.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
This bunch qualified for U-17 WC and now U-20 WC the next step is a run at Olympics and then 2014 and 2018 WC.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
If the measuring stick is "qualifying for WCs" at any level. Maybe? But our club football don't attract fans. The league is financially shakey. By the way, the TTFF are not inept. If they were inept they would not be controlling TT football and driving it into the groundl for the past 25 yrs.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »
I eh know bout on de rise.  Lasana made a good point even if his timing was slightly off.  Qualification for these tournaments these days is far easier than before in terms of the number of games needed to qualify.  The other very salient point he made was that in the past...once a team spoke Spanish..it was like we did mentally lorse before we step out on de field.  That's only apparently the case now with the USA.  Everybody else is fair game...so we've made great strides in that area.

The impetus was the senior team qualifying for Germany.  That was the catalyst for everything else.

Jamaica also did the same if I'm not mistaken after qualifying for France 1998.  They qualified for U 17's and I think 2 U 20's right after that.

Hopefully we learn from that and doh fall off like they have done.  In countries like ours....however goes the senior team goes the rest.  NOT the other way around.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:19:39 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
good post filho///....soon de TTFF will qualify and things will be better that now
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
Imagine where our football could be if it wasn't fuh dem nincompoops running de TTFF.  But is nice to see that we are still making strides in spite of dem.  

Senior world cup in 06, under 17 world cup in 07 and under 20 world cup in 09 is not bad atall.  And we still in de runnning for senior world cup 2010.
       You all are a set of ungrateful assholes,don't matter what the TTFF do they will never get credit for anything as long as it have people like you all.
        All you say all kind of things about JW,Camps,Anton,Alvin,Lincoln,all the foreign Coaches we brought here,all the local they call,who selecting the players now,it's the same facking people,nothing they do or try to do ever satisfies anybody on this forum.
        Is one man responsible for what ever success or failure T&T Football achieves,figure that one out.

Start cussing.     

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
i think so. when in the past we accomplish dis sorta success.

next up = U-20 beating USA, a WCQ win @ home vs. honduras and a draw in nashville vs. USA.

we going south africa.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
most fans complain that there is just not the same level of talent coming up through the ranks.

I think that complaint is kinda misplaced...but I think it will always exist. 

I think T&T's footballing place amongst the competition (regionally & globally) is about the same as it's always been.  So maybe the rest of the world is getting shittier too.

I think what has happened is that others below us have improved at a faster rate than we have and there is therefore more parity in the game- and that is a world wide pheonemon- The gap between Brazil/Argentina and say Venezuela has probably shrunk in the same manner...The rapid improvement of the U.S.A (which is abnormal by most standards) also helps to create the image that T&T's football talent is on the decline. 

Other than the exceptions- Yorkie, Latas e.g.  I think the mean(average) level of talent in T&T is about the same as it's always been if not improved...tough to determine the resason for/substantiate anything to the contrary. 

Our football is on the rise- but like everything else, the more you get- the more you want... And one can't help but ponder how much better our situtation would be if the TTFF were a more professional unit. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »

You all are a set of ungrateful assholes,don't matter what the TTFF do they will never get credit for anything as long as it have people like you all.
        All you say all kind of things about JW,Camps,Anton,Alvin,Lincoln,all the foreign Coaches we brought here,all the local they call,who selecting the players now,it's the same facking people,nothing they do or try to do ever satisfies anybody on this forum.
        Is one man responsible for what ever success or failure T&T Football achieves,figure that one out.

Start cussing.     
Coops yah make meh feel kinda stupid here man ,I stand up for u to ah man for cuss you .And you doing that to men who doh cuss .Yah gone on the dark side oh what ? ,well then yah cant complain and apologize  later eh .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
It improving it just show if u keep a team 2gether what could happen. Is just d players of d field have a way of screwing up a good ting blacklist for instance.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »

Start cussing.    

Nah bredda me eh have to cuss to make my point.  If you think that de TTFF and Jack Warner is not a hinderance to our football I think something wrong with you.  I believe 100 % that T&T football could have been light years ahead of where it is if we had more competent, professional and ethical people in charge.  If that makes me ah ungratefull asshole then I am I more than cool wid that.

De good thing about my asshole is dais wey my shit does come out.  Unlike you whey de shit coming out from yuh mouth. Cus what yuh talking dey is pure tata.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »
Good post. There seems to be some continuity between the under 17 and this under 20. I think about six players from the under17 of past years are on this team. Lincoln has to be given some credit.
 Additionaly this has been one of the better prepared team in terms of playing together and exposure to a higher level. With knox, gay and Hyland in the mix who knows where we may end up ion the big stage.
Good post with the magic word 'CONTINUITY' I have time and again read about many players at youth level who just disappear without a single word as what happened to them.I think its the first time that we have had such a spill over,if I can call it that,I think its about six players.This can work in our favour with the experience gained at under 17.The next stop would be 2014,wouldn't it be great if we can maintain that continuity you talk about.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 06:35:22 PM »
I hope this squad get to participate in the Olimpic qualification, CAC and panam games. Seriously

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »
I hope this squad get to participate in the Olimpic qualification, CAC and panam games. Seriously

AMEN TO THAT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
yea ...dey will when de put Ron La and McComie in charge of them
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 05:28:58 AM »

Start cussing.     
Coops is right  coz I said the same thing about people cussing everybody and anything concerning our football,Coops have mentioned the people that everybody cuss from day to day,I cannot understand it.If our football was going down the wrong pathI would understand the constant cussing but to the contrary its doing quite well thank you.Some of us dont understand that there is no easy football match again,maybe 30 years ago there were.Whenever we make a stumble the cussing start without constructive critisims,the best teams makes many slip ups every major compettions,I think we are lucky to have people who genuinely care.I do not know why you are accused of being JW family whenever you say something good about our football officials,I live in England and I am not going to join in a chorus of cussing our officials,I will keep cheering our boys and make a constructive comment when and if we do something that in my opinion was not right.Regards.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 05:31:54 AM »
So because u goin at 40 mph when u could b goin at 80 mph u must b thankful dat d car eh stall. D yutes 2gether since 05 gr8. It just shows what a il preperation could do. Unless and until what happen wit dem yutes eh become we MODUS OPERANDI. Is level cuss go b flyin.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
Frico,
            We have  to put pressure in JW bam-bam. He has been running football for more than 25 yrs. If we don't make noise TTFF will think we agreeing with everything they doing. We don't!!!!!!

I reach to the point now, where I don't care what Jack does with TT national team. My main concern is with club football. It is a pity we do not have business men who can partner with football teams so we can have a viable league where fans can go and watch club football.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
Deeks,
What I fail to understand is,how could anybody hold on to a position like JW if he is holding back our football,we do have men who are capable of putting their points of view to him,we now have Latapy who I am sure would not put up with any crap from JW.During the early part of our qualification people were saying that Mats was a puppet and that JW WAS PICKING THE TEAM.What is JWs input in team selection,does he have the time to look at our players at home,I am sure he doesn't.I wonder if there were different people running our football if it would have been that different,I have been reading for years about JWs financial input to TT football,shouldn't we be thankful.The fact is our football seems to be on the way up and it was brave of Mats to try some new players,some quite young and that is paying dividends,Hyland,Peltier,Gay etc.I am now hearing quite a few posts about Andrews recall,many of them not in favour but that surely is down to Latapy so we may soon start to cuss Latapy.People are bawling for Gray and Avery but to be honest they are good candidates for a sending off everytime they step on a football field,whenever they make a tackle my heart is in meh mouth.Anyway nuff said we going Africa Egypt fuss and South Africa next.Regards!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
Frico,
            Don't underestimate JW. He will slit Latas throat if Latas challenge him. You must realise that Jack control everything.

1]; } ?>