April 28, 2024, 02:15:25 AM

Author Topic: Robbery police target Everton footballer  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Robbery police target Everton footballer
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:19 AM »
this sound like racial profiling to me.

Premier League striker Victor Anichebe was challenged by police looking for a gang of robbers, as he looked in a jeweller's window with a friend.

The innocent Everton player, who was wearing a leg cast after surgery, is now demanding an apology.

Cheshire police said they acted because there had been a series of violent robberies in the area.

During a "heated dialogue" between the two men and officers in Knutsford, Anichebe's friend was handcuffed.

Everton FC spokesman Ian Ross said: "Victor was deeply upset and very distressed by the incident.

"I believe he is still waiting for a full and unreserved apology from the police involved.

"Once he has received that both the club and the player will consider the matter closed."

'Acting suspiciously'

A Cheshire Police spokesman said: "For some time Cheshire Constabulary have been responding to a series of violent robberies targeting jewellers in Knutsford and in the wider Cheshire area.

“ During the course of this exchange, an officer took the decision to restrain one of the two men concerned by applying handcuffs ”
Spokesman, Cheshire Police

"We have robust plans in place to respond swiftly to any report of any suspicious activity at or in the vicinity of jewellers' premises.

"As part of that plan, local CCTV operators identified what appeared to be two men acting suspiciously outside a jeweller's store on King Street.

"Police attended the location within minutes and upon speaking with the two men, a heated dialogue developed in an attempt to ascertain exactly what the two persons were doing outside the jeweller's premises.

"During the course of this exchange, an officer took the decision to restrain one of the two men concerned by applying handcuffs.

"It was subsequently ascertained that there was no criminal conduct whatsoever on behalf of the two men concerned and they were in no way involved in any criminal activity."

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Robbery police target Everton footballer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »
In this day and age we still find this going on. And if he wasn't who he is would we have heard anything about it?

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:04 AM »
In this day and age we still find this going on. And if he wasn't who he is would we have heard anything about it?

Just last week 7 Baltimore City cops stop meh in front meh house, because I was walking suspiciously fast in de cold  >:(

Given that my area, the only ethnicity you find is in the array of restaurants, white guy with the asian or indian girl and the hispanic help. Very few black males... so if yuh walking in that area... yuh up to no good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:57:59 AM by forever trini »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
Exactly!That kind of racial profiling going on long time.I get stopped in my car for no obvious reason sometime,whenI ask why, they reply its a random search,but they are lying,its because of my Eastern appearance.I was once told that I was driving to correctly so that prompted them to think I was drunk,so I was stopped.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »
probable cause is usually the excuse they does give me.....

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »
When I up in FL I does get that right tru...I fit the "terrorist"  profile

Also in certain malls dey does just feel walk a lil closer to you or send security in the dressing room behind you.

At time I walk in a store...the one with the big brown bag...bloomingdales. Everybody white eh...they send the Indian salesman/security to follow meh.

I say lemme 4k him up lil bit. After he say may I help you, and I tell him I am good I browsing...he only up in meh arse.

I buss out with a speed and hide behind a rack of clothes. I then pick up some stuff and went in a changing room. But it have entry/exit on two sides..so I come out the other side and went behind another rack of clothes.

The imps went in panic mode and pullout he walkie talkie and saying I do not see him  anymore he is not in the dressing room...and come pelting round the corner with speed. I pop up from behind the rack of clothes right in he face and bawl..."CAN I HELP YOU?"

The imps jumpand nearly ketch a heart attack.

Another time in a burdines after wuk yours truly in a shirt and tie...a white woman tell me come here I am ready to check out NOW...I say eh heh...I bawl Maam you are disturbing me, I am busy find somebody else.

She start to get on irate and call meh all kinda names...I tell her go and get the manager let him check you out.

Next ting 10 minutes later, Manager, security and another employee come and tell me how I have to leave the store as I "impersonating a store employee"....I tell them I am shopping for an outfit and the group of them were making my shopping experience an uncomfortable one. 

When dealing with the imps and dem you must look official and talk in a calm manner...dat does piss dem orf more.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »

The authorities were trying to be proactive but it seems like they went too far- shame on them.  

Plain talk eh no bad manners though- There are statistics that indicate that in many urban areas petty crime is disproportionately perpetrated by blacks/non whites who are lower down on the socio-economic ladder.  Of course it's correlation and not causality but in the eyes of authorities in many urban areas, blacks would be a more likely target than whites when trying to crack down on suspicious activity...I don't condone "racial profiling" as a practice because it is an overly simplistic and very flawed means of identifying potential criminal offenders....but let's be real nuh- the real world that we live calls for certain forms of discrimination with a rationale that has roots in social phenomena other than pure racism...stereotypes didn't exactly create themselves...and not only black people suffer from it.  Just ask a middle eastern looking fella in an airport...If investigators are trying to identify a serial killer, or for e.g. the D.C. Sniper (from around 2002/3- who lo & behold was black), I'm sure the profile would be more aligned with a white person...

I take my hat off to anyone who has the same internal reaction to encountering a group of loitering black fellas on a lonely street at 2am as they would have if they encounter a group of loitering white fellas.....

For police it's the same thing...and alot of the blame should fall on the ones who have in the past and who today continue to give merit to negative stereotypes...and there are plenty out there...

Gross disrespect and violation of human rights is inexcusable under any conditions though.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »

When dealing with the imps and dem you must look official and talk in a calm manner...

Agreed- the angry reaction is counter-productive. 

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »

The authorities were trying to be proactive but it seems like they went too far- shame on them.  

Plain talk eh no bad manners though- There are statistics that indicate that in many urban areas petty crime is disproportionately perpetrated by blacks/non whites who are lower down on the socio-economic ladder.  Of course it's correlation and not causality but in the eyes of authorities in many urban areas, blacks would be a more likely target than whites when trying to crack down on suspicious activity...I don't condone "racial profiling" as a practice because it is an overly simplistic and very flawed means of identifying potential criminal offenders....but let's be real nuh- the real world that we live calls for certain forms of discrimination with a rationale that has roots in social phenomena other than pure racism...stereotypes didn't exactly create themselves...and not only black people suffer from it.  Just ask a middle eastern looking fella in an airport...If investigators are trying to identify a serial killer, or for e.g. the D.C. Sniper (from around 2002/3- who lo & behold was black), I'm sure the profile would be more aligned with a white person...

I take my hat off to anyone who has the same internal reaction to encountering a group of loitering black fellas on a lonely street at 2am as they would have if they encounter a group of loitering white fellas.....

For police it's the same thing...and alot of the blame should fall on the ones who have in the past and who today continue to give merit to negative stereotypes...and there are plenty out there...

Gross disrespect and violation of human rights is inexcusable under any conditions though.

When I was in Georgetown, I use to date this asian girl who was wukking at Banana Republic. Sometimes I use to go after class to grab some food with she. De security guard use to always follow meh. So I get fed up and I ask her what's up? She say it's an unspoken mandatory rule, that if a black person especially a girl enter any store in that area, is yuh duty to follow dem.

Ah use to like it when i go to the Ammo section of Dicks in Columbia, Md it's not unusual to hear over the P.A. "security scan in section five"

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »
is not only in foreign this is happen.

i get follow by security and stop by babylon nuff time in T&T for no reason at all.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »
And I is still get brace from 51 and Zen  ;D
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »

I does get the double search nuff time in airports to know that it ain't random, now ah does start stripping as ah leave the car.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »
Alyuh is ah set ah tief....yuh feel they eh make alyuh out.  ;D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
The English police are better than most, but some does let the side down....if what the report says is true though, yuh hadda blame d CCTV operator in this instance, not the police...they tell the police exactly where to go and who to check.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »
Unfortunately, when it comes to zero tolerance, we still fit the profile.In TT too, very unfortunate.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »
The English police are better than most, but some does let the side down....if what the report says is true though, yuh hadda blame d CCTV operator in this instance, not the police...they tell the police exactly where to go and who to check.

gorn from here with that shit talk, english police is de absolute worse!  INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM..and dat is dem own report!

Doh bullshit me here nah  dem too f**king racist

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
Ryan where you livin boy? I lived in London and now essex, and all the same. Blacks and asians constantly complaining about police harrasment. Matter of fact know couple people who work with/for the met police and they say alot of striped officers are, and these are white people telling me this.So I don't know where you getting your info from or maybe you just fortunate not to have run ins but it's there for all to see

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »
When I up in FL I does get that right tru...I fit the "terrorist"  profile

Also in certain malls dey does just feel walk a lil closer to you or send security in the dressing room behind you.

At time I walk in a store...the one with the big brown bag...bloomingdales. Everybody white eh...they send the Indian salesman/security to follow meh.

I say lemme 4k him up lil bit. After he say may I help you, and I tell him I am good I browsing...he only up in meh arse.

I buss out with a speed and hide behind a rack of clothes. I then pick up some stuff and went in a changing room. But it have entry/exit on two sides..so I come out the other side and went behind another rack of clothes.

The imps went in panic mode and pullout he walkie talkie and saying I do not see him  anymore he is not in the dressing room...and come pelting round the corner with speed. I pop up from behind the rack of clothes right in he face and bawl..."CAN I HELP YOU?"

The imps jumpand nearly ketch a heart attack.

Another time in a burdines after wuk yours truly in a shirt and tie...a white woman tell me come here I am ready to check out NOW...I say eh heh...I bawl Maam you are disturbing me, I am busy find somebody else.

She start to get on irate and call meh all kinda names...I tell her go and get the manager let him check you out.

Next ting 10 minutes later, Manager, security and another employee come and tell me how I have to leave the store as I "impersonating a store employee"....I tell them I am shopping for an outfit and the group of them were making my shopping experience an uncomfortable one. 

When dealing with the imps and dem you must look official and talk in a calm manner...dat does piss dem orf more.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
good one
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »
I'll keep it simple and say that I kinda with Kicker on this one.  It is unfortunate but at the same time somewhat understandable... at least that was my immediate reaction.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
that does real piss me off yes and the thing is they send the minority to deal with uh....

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:22 AM »
Ryan where you livin boy? I lived in London and now essex, and all the same. Blacks and asians constantly complaining about police harrasment. Matter of fact know couple people who work with/for the met police and they say alot of striped officers are, and these are white people telling me this.So I don't know where you getting your info from or maybe you just fortunate not to have run ins but it's there for all to see

London

I agree that they aren't great. I've also been told by (white) policemen that there are other police who would be only too happy to rough me up. I guess I'm just lucky I never had any proper run-ins.

But I would rather be in Britain anyday than the US. I've only ever been there on holiday and have experienced more racism from police there than I think I would ever experience here.

(PS - if you talkin bout d usual stop and search down in hackney, stratford etc, den i support d police in dat...whether they racist or not, stop and search is a necessary evil)

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »
I know you live in London, we sweat together nuff times. and maybe as you say you fortunate, but I've lived in both the US(6 years) and England, and the treatment pretty much the same. Last time I was stopped here the man had the cheek to ask me "when was the last time you was arrested"? had to ask him if because I'm a black man in Britain means I must have been arrested before. He say he asks everyone that question. I said well this is my name, you check and see if I have, and come and tell me.
The stop and search is necessary, but when you use it as an excuse to stop and rough up "ethnic minorities" then that is not justified. And this has been the case for years.Question is it only Black and Asian youths that carry weapons, or use/sell drugs? If not why are they the only ones "stopped and searched"?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »
I know you live in London, we sweat together nuff times. and maybe as you say you fortunate, but I've lived in both the US(6 years) and England, and the treatment pretty much the same. Last time I was stopped here the man had the cheek to ask me "when was the last time you was arrested"? had to ask him if because I'm a black man in Britain means I must have been arrested before. He say he asks everyone that question. I said well this is my name, you check and see if I have, and come and tell me.
The stop and search is necessary, but when you use it as an excuse to stop and rough up "ethnic minorities" then that is not justified. And this has been the case for years.Question is it only Black and Asian youths that carry weapons, or use/sell drugs? If not why are they the only ones "stopped and searched"?

To answer yuh question: I have a friend who's a doctor in A&E in an East London hospital...he says that, while the media only showing Blacks/Asians shooting and stabbing, the reality is that all races are doing it. So no, iz not only Black and Asian youths carryin guns, but that doesnt mean we should leave everyone wid dey guns. I think d more guns dey take from Blacks and Asians d better, regardless of who else carryin guns. I would prefer for the minority kids to feel slighted because iz only their guns getting seize, instead of shooting and stabbing each other up. Minority communities have enough problems as it is.

Sounds like u had it worse dan me. I never get no real horrors. Every time I've been stopped (about 3 or 4 times), I never had no problems, probably cuz I just hold my ground and deal wid dem on a serious level. Only once I talk to dem bad....there were two officers, one male, one female. I felt d female was racist, so every questions she asked me, I would turn to the male and answer. By the end of it, he was strugglin not to laugh, which completely undermined her.

I agree dat I probably would never have been stopped if I was white though. But I still think we better off here dan in Europe or d US (although your experience is different). :beermug:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:25:25 AM by Ryan »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »
only because he is a prem baller and this make news.

Police offer apology to Anichebe

Cheshire Police have apologised to Premier League striker Victor Anichebe after officers challenged him as he looked in a jeweller's shop window.

The Everton player was window-shopping with a friend in Knutsford, Cheshire, when officers confronted the pair, eventually handcuffing his friend.

Police said they were acting after a spate of robberies but admitted it was a "less than proportionate reaction".

Mr Anichebe, 20, said the incident was "embarrassing and totally humiliating".

He said in a statement: "Whilst I do fully understand Cheshire Police's desire to tackle the problem of robberies on jewellery shops in the Knutsford area, I remain deeply upset and very angry about the treatment which was meted out to myself and a friend yesterday [Wednesday].

“ I asked the officers if they would have taken the action they did had I been white rather than black ”
Victor Anichebe

"It was not only totally ridiculous but also highly embarrassing and totally humiliating.

"Simply because we stood our ground and insisted that we had done absolutely nothing wrong, they decided to place my friend in handcuffs.

"I am currently having to use crutches to walk as I recently underwent surgery on a knee injury and - astonishingly - one of the officers even tried to grab the crutches in order to prevent me from 'escaping'."

He added: "After what seemed like an eternity the police officers seemed to realise that they had made a mistake, acknowledging that I was a footballer with a Premiership club and not someone who was preparing to commit a crime.

"At the time, I asked the officers if they would have taken the action they did had I been white rather than black."

'Acting suspiciously'

A police spokesman said: "It is only right and proper that the police act expeditiously in protecting vulnerable premises such as jewellery shops.

"We seek in all cases to ask for co-operation from the public in respect of not only reporting suspicious activity in or around such areas, but also their co-operation if an officer feels it is necessary and appropriate to make inquiries into such matters."

He added: "Having now reviewed in detail what occurred between the officers and the two men whom they believed to have been acting suspiciously, it is now apparent that, while the situation was heated, the actions of the police officer in applying handcuffs to one of the men was less than a proportionate reaction to the requirements of the situation.

"The officer has been advised regarding this, and an offer of apology extended to the two men."

Responding to Mr Anichebe's comments about race, the police spokesman added: "The robust response to this incident was influenced by a history of violent robberies that have recently occurred at jewellery shops across Cheshire and was most certainly not related to race.

c**ts.

"Cheshire Police has publically apologised to Mr Anichebe and his friend about the treatment they received from officers involved, and we will be writing to Mr Anichebe's Football Club reiterating this apology.

"We can confirm we will be pleased to personally meet with Mr Anichebe to resolve any further concerns he may have."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7940486.stm

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 07:01:12 AM »
Dias nuttin, I was going to buffalo for a football tryout travelling by bus.  Police in Syracuse come on de bus and start talking to me like I do something.  Next thing I know I get pull off de bus and searched.  Man I give dem nuff talk, 5 white cops and one black.  All de black cop doing in de background is laughing because I givin dem men real beans.  I even went as far as to slap one ah de white cops hand when he try to put it in my pocket.
First thing I say is where your search warrent, and secondly I will empty my own damn pockets, because I doh know you and what you have in yu hand. Black cop real crackin up in de back.

After I had enough of them (30 mins later) I tell dem, thank you for fu*kin me up and I have to go because de bus going to leave me.  Dem men was vex no ass, but they had not cause and all dat.

Sad part about dat was I was on de bus givin ah gyul de sweet eye, needless to say I didn't get she phone # :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 08:30:12 AM »

To answer yuh question: I have a friend who's a doctor in A&E in an East London hospital...he says that, while the media only showing Blacks/Asians shooting and stabbing, the reality is that all races are doing it. So no, iz not only Black and Asian youths carryin guns, but that doesnt mean we should leave everyone wid dey guns. I think d more guns dey take from Blacks and Asians d better, regardless of who else carryin guns. I would prefer for the minority kids to feel slighted because iz only their guns getting seize, instead of shooting and stabbing each other up. Minority communities have enough problems as it is.

Sounds like u had it worse dan me. I never get no real horrors. Every time I've been stopped (about 3 or 4 times), I never had no problems, probably cuz I just hold my ground and deal wid dem on a serious level. Only once I talk to dem bad....there were two officers, one male, one female. I felt d female was racist, so every questions she asked me, I would turn to the male and answer. By the end of it, he was strugglin not to laugh, which completely undermined her.

I agree dat I probably would never have been stopped if I was white though. But I still think we better off here dan in Europe or d US (although your experience is different). :beermug:

I always find it funny how people on the outside paint such a horrific picture of life here in the states.  To be sure it's no cup of tea but in my 20+ years here I've had a handful of encounters with police, and by encounters I mean encounters, casual interactions to traffic stops.  Of those I would ascribe only two to situations where there may have been racial profiling.  One ended innocuously after I properly f**ked up a white cop for stopping my friends and I in my own neighborhood... the other ended innocently enough although I was forced to reveal the contents of my bag b/c I wasn't aware of my rights at the time.

Hardly fodder for the Al Sharptons of the world.  I'm curious though to hear your "racist" encounters with police here.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »

I always find it funny how people on the outside paint such a horrific picture of life here in the states.  To be sure it's no cup of tea but in my 20+ years here I've had a handful of encounters with police, and by encounters I mean encounters, casual interactions to traffic stops.  Of those I would ascribe only two to situations where there may have been racial profiling.  One ended innocuously after I properly f**ked up a white cop for stopping my friends and I in my own neighborhood... the other ended innocently enough although I was forced to reveal the contents of my bag b/c I wasn't aware of my rights at the time.

Hardly fodder for the Al Sharptons of the world.  I'm curious though to hear your "racist" encounters with police here.

Pulled over on a couple of occasions with my family for "driving while black" in a nice car in georgia (separate vacations)...guess that's a crime there...the police were not friendly at all and on one of the occasions were shoutin and carryin on cuz my dad went to open d car door...

Was stopped by a police officer while wandering around a hotel lobby as a seven year old (where i was stayin obviously) and told i didnt belong there (as in, becuz i was black). never even told my parents, i was too scared.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Pulled over on a couple of occasions with my family for "driving while black" in a nice car in georgia (separate vacations)...guess that's a crime there...the police were not friendly at all and on one of the occasions were shoutin and carryin on cuz my dad went to open d car door...

Was stopped by a police officer while wandering around a hotel lobby as a seven year old (where i was stayin obviously) and told i didnt belong there (as in, becuz i was black). never even told my parents, i was too scared.

A bredren and I got pulled over in GA: "rural" Georgia to boot...for inadvertently driving with only parking lights on... (neither of us realized)... Perfect opportunity for an abusive white officer (notorious in that part of the country) to rough up some non-white fellas who were unmistakeably tourists- The cop was as polite as ever- didn't ask anything except for whether or not we were are aware that our headlights weren't on, and whether or not we needed directions 'cause we were clearly lost lol.... ;D

Everyone's experience is different.

1]; } ?>