April 29, 2024, 06:32:24 AM

Author Topic: Questions about Law in Japan  (Read 1122 times)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Questions about Law in Japan
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
someone tell me if you have a property dispute to settle, is a normal thing to go to the yakuza in japan. they are even licensed to handle these "small claims" kind of things. i was told that in japan they have a thing called wa which translate to harmony and the govt actively restricted the number of lawyers to avoid excessive litigiousness (counterexample is usa where suing is the national pasttime).

anyone could confirm this?

even pariah have responsibility there. that seem counter to how things run here; here, if you act up then is jail/medication/counselling but never any responsibility. some of the old-timers from up here telling me that it wasn't always so - that is only the last few generations that had the onus of responsibility "lifted" from them by society. in the bad old days, everyone was expected to be responsible.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Law in Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
someone tell me if you have a property dispute to settle, is a normal thing to go to the yakuza in japan. they are even licensed to handle these "small claims" kind of things. i was told that in japan they have a thing called wa which translate to harmony and the govt actively restricted the number of lawyers to avoid excessive litigiousness (counterexample is usa where suing is the national pasttime).

even pariah have responsibility there. that seem counter to how things run here; here, if you act up then is jail/medication/counselling but never any responsibility. some of the old-timers from up here telling me that it wasn't always so - that is only the last few generations that had the onus of responsibility "lifted" from them by society. in the bad old days, everyone was expected to be responsible.

Technically, the Yakuza are the pariahs.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »

Technically, the Yakuza are the pariahs.

exactly. and they are entrusted with responsibility. that doesn't seem to happen here.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
Nonetheless, the 'entrustment' is not as altruistic as you seem to suggest ... and, I'm not sure entrustment is the appropriate word ... The Yakuza are involved in property disputes, but they are hardly participants of first resort.

I'm also hesitant to endorse the notion that Japan's absence of a litigious landscape comparable to the USA's can be reduced to wa.

1]; } ?>