March 29, 2024, 07:56:48 AM

Author Topic: Gio Dos Santos needs a compass  (Read 4217 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Gio Dos Santos needs a compass
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »
Moves to North(ish) as career heads south.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/tottenham-ipswich-giovani-dos-santos-barcelona

From Camp Nou to Portman Road ... Dos Santos joins Ipswich on loan

• Mexican forward failed to make an impression at Spurs
• Former Barca star set to play in the Championship

Jacob Steinberg guardian.co.uk
Friday 13 March 2009 21.56 GMT

Giovani Dos Santos, centre, was regarded as Ronaldinho's replacement at Barcelona but has now joined Ipswich on loan. Photograph: Andrew Couldridge/Action Images

One minute you're playing for Barcelona, the next you find yourself turning out for Ipswich Town. One of Juande Ramos's heralded summer signings for Tottenham, Giovani Dos Santos, has joined Ipswich on loan until the end of the season, an embarrassing step for a player who engendered so much optimism upon his arrival. The current Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has been trying to disassociate himself from the work of his predecessor, Ramos, for as long as he has been in the job, and this move could be interpreted as such.

Dos Santos came to White Hart Lane from Barcelona in a £4.7million deal, armed with a reputation as one of football's up-and-coming young stars, but the Mexican has failed to make any sort of positive impact during his time in north London. An extended jaunt to a club in the Championship, having featured for a team who reached the semi-finals of the Champions League last year, will be a humiliating descent for the Mexican striker.

He has made just 12 appearances for Spurs this season, and his only goal for the club came in their Uefa Cup exit at the hands of Shakhtar Donetsk in the round of 32. He has also struggled with an ankle injury since November, which has understandably curtailed his progress.

Alongside Bojan Krkic, Dos Santos was one of Barcelona's great hopes, and had been trumpeted as a potential replacement for Ronaldinho, and there was reported interest from both Chelsea and Internazionale before Spurs sealed what was regarded as a coup at the time.

However Dos Santos failed to settle, and as Spurs made a terrible start to the season, picking up just two points from their opening eight games, Ramos found himself sacked and replaced by Redknapp who was unwilling to find a place for the youngster in his team. He now has a barely believable chance to revive his career in the unfamiliar surroundings of Portman Road. He will go straight into the Ipswich squad for their match at Reading tomorrow.

Meanwhile another young Tottenham midfielder, Adel Taarabt, has joined another Championship club, Queens Park Rangers, on loan until the summer.

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gio Dos Santos needs a compass
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:51:23 PM »
Politics

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »
Politics

Plain and simple.  But kill the British press dead, Gio is a bust.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
Sometimes some players bloom late. At least he still playing.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 12:44:44 AM »
^^^^^^^ no doubt.

I actually had that very image in my mind as I was typing mih post. 

Knowing how dem Brits love dey grog ah not sure if that pic make him look like ah slacker ("he drinks too much") or a sissy ("he can't hold his liquor").

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 02:28:26 AM »
All of the above AND he doh have he head screwed on right. Success probably went to he head and not being able to fit in at Spurs probably f*ck him up! Hope he can pull it together and get things back on track. Might have to leave England and start over somewhere else though.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:26:12 AM »
That youth should leave England.
Go and play for Valencia lewwe build back up a side :)

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 08:40:28 AM »

Second that. He will end up a journey man by age 20 if he does not leave England and make sure he does not return unless he playing against a team in England.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
Sometimes some players bloom late. At least he still playing.

except this fella was actually blooming early..Under 17 WC champ, Barca 1st team as a teenager....He and Arsenal's Vela are considered the future of Mexican football. BUt I hear yah..at this point he needs to turn around his career and fulfill his potential..and that may mean hitting the heights a little later than it originally appeared he would

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »
^^^^^^^ no doubt.

I actually had that very image in my mind as I was typing mih post. 

Knowing how dem Brits love dey grog ah not sure if that pic make him look like ah slacker ("he drinks too much") or a sissy ("he can't hold his liquor").

Absolutely.

I doh have a doubt Sven is mindful of Gio's situation ... by heightening his profile with MEX, Gio gets a way to rehab his career if anyone is paying attention ... thing is ... he's also suffering for Spurs poor run in the earlies, whereas a rejuvenated Spurs has offered a lifeline to other players ...

Watch meh, I like listening to Harry ... buh de more I listen to Harry, de clearer it is Gio couldnah been an important variable in his formula (drunk scene or not)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:09:29 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »

Second that. He will end up a journey man by age 20 if he does not leave England and make sure he does not return unless he playing against a team in England.

Bingo.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

he'll be 20 in May  ;D

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
He still young, he go be a wicked player in a few, which will spell more trouble for we!!!!! hek , he's a wicked player now!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
if he had listen to me and keep he cyat quiet in barcelona he would be a big player all now so...

too bad he listen to his agent and believe the hype..

schupit yute.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »
Any mexican succeed in England yet?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:50 AM »
Any mexican succeed in England yet?

Nah. Not too many have tried. It's not just the EPL, Mexicans have only recently started making a more concerted effort to go abroad and try their thing. And as would be expected, the most natural destination in Europe would be Spain. Just like 10-15 years ago, you could count the number of Brazilians, or Argentines who succeeded in the EPL on one hand. Borgetti is the most recent senior player to give it a go, but he didn't stay long at Bolton. Vela is the one youth who is doing fine. Wouldn't say he has succeeded, but he is well on track. Can't think of any others...Like I said.. a few more are trying La Liga than the EPL, and quite a few are moving to Brazil...but overall, they seem to like the comforts of home.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:14:33 AM by Filho »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »
this force meh to raise this question,who had the most impact in de english game to come from central or south america?
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
this force meh to raise this question,who had the most impact in de english game to come from central or south america?

Ardiles
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »

Ardiles
ah was tinkin bout he too.i tink he was with spurs.

giggsy11

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »
Ah wonder if he even speaks English. Not that Arry speaks English!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »
If he had keep he black ass in Barca he would've been on course for success.

Pep believe in youth and I am pretty sure he would've brought him on jes like he did with Busquets and Bojan.

I had real hope for dat youth man, but he should ah listen to Public Enemy and Don't believe the Hype.

I think I read somewhere that he has a younger brother in the Barca system.

Més que un club.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »

Asprilla?

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »

Ardiles
\
And Ricky Villa

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »

Ardiles
\
And Ricky Villa

IMO Ricky Villa's biggest impact on the English game was that he was a fellow Argentine who was there to not make Ardiles feel like he was alone.  Villa was a good balla but he had minimal impact on the field of play in England...except in that FA Cup (or was it League Cup?) Final & de wonder goal of course.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »

Ardiles

Great answer ... buh even Ossie would credit his Ricky Villa for helping him big up de stage.

I would add, Nolberto Solano didn't do poorly in England.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 10:23:52 AM »
Can't speak too much of the past but Tottenham fans speak of Ardiles as a legend

From the time I started watching football seriously, I'd say the latinamericans with the biggest impact in no particular order were:

Gus Poyet
Nolberto Solano
Javier Mascherano
Gilberto Silva
Edu
Carlos Tevez
Gabriel Heinze

giggsy11

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »

Your question forced me to ask this question- did you ask the question because Mexico is in central or south america? Just asking?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »

Your question forced me to ask this question- did you ask the question because Mexico is in central or south america? Just asking?
when it come to geography,nobody could tie me up eh.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 10:31:33 AM »
Can't speak too much of the past but Tottenham fans speak of Ardiles as a legend

From the time I started watching football seriously, I'd say the latinamericans with the biggest impact in no particular order were:

Gus Poyet
Nolberto Solano
Javier Mascherano
Gilberto Silva
Edu
Carlos Tevez
Gabriel Heinze

Juninho
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>