April 23, 2024, 10:18:29 PM

Author Topic: Redknapp back for Kenwyne Jones  (Read 15595 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Redknapp back for Kenwyne Jones
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:42:23 PM »
HARRY REDKNAPP BACK FOR KENWYNE JONES
By Alan Oliver And Tom Hopkinson (people.co.uk)

Spurs alert at Sbragia U-turn

Harry Redknapp will make a second attempt to land Kenwyne Jones with Sunderland ready to cash in on the striker.

Tottenham boss Redknapp failed to sign the Trinidad and Tobago hitman in January despite a whopping £15million bid but could finally get his man following a dramatic U-turn by Ricky Sbragia.

Stadium of Light chief Sbragia blasted Redknapp's transfer window pursuit of Jones and insisted the player would stay.

The 24-year-old underlined his commitment by signing a new four-and-a-half-year contract.

But Sbragia is believed to have changed his mind about a player who has struggled since battling back from a knee ligament injury against England 10 months ago.

The turning point came when Jones - who has scored just nine goals in all competitions this season - was criticised following the 1-1 draw with Spurs last week.

Sbragia insisted his front two of Jones and Djibril Cisse "would have to do more" if Sunderland were to avoid relegation.

A Sunderland source said: "It's clear if Harry Redknapp was to come back with the same sort of money he offered in January then Sunderland would do business this summer."

Wheeler-dealer Redknapp could even get his man with a cash-plus-player deal involving Spurs misfit Darren Bent.

The 62-year-old Harry can claim his pension in three years' time but, as he prepared his team for today's clash with Aston Villa, he revealed: "I'll retire when I'm 75 - I still need the money!"

Redknapp added: "I don't know what I'd do. I love getting up at 5.30am. I really look forward to working with these players. They're a terrific bunch."

Redknapp takes his t'riffic bunch to Villa Park today for the first time since a Villa fan threw a coin at him when he was there with Portsmouth in October.

The coin hit linesman Phil Sharp above an eye, and Redknapp said: "Villa's a fantastic club and they got the idiot who threw the coin. But why should they have the hump with me? I went there with Porstmouth once and we absolutely ripped them to pieces.

"I got on the touchline, so they decided to have a go at me because we kept passing the ball to each other and kicking it in their net. Let's hope we do the same this time."

Redknapp took his men to Cheltenham on Tuesday and, unfortunately for defender Vedran Corluka, the Spurs gaffer took his son, Jamie, along too.

The Croatian revealed: "Jamie gave me the name of a horse and it lost, but it was good for team spirit - even if I did lose."

Corluka also believes that, whatever happens between now and May, the season can only be seen as a failure for Spurs.

He said: "Everyone was saying we need to be top six, so nothing we achieve this season can be seen as success because we are not where we want to be."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Redknapp back for Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:32:31 PM »
'arry, ya come back with that again :rotfl: :rotfl:
KJ, stay just so eh
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:44:11 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
me aint kno wa so impressive bout KJ dese days..saggyface like he does get easily excited

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
HARRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY  :D :D :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Sbragia Wants More From Sunderland Strikers Jones & Cisse
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
Despite a healthy goal return from his front pair, the Black Cats boss wants them to work in tandem more, rather than as individuals.
Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia seems to feel that his team are currently playing with a pair of lone strikers up front, rather than an effective partnership.

Strikers Kenwyne Jones and Djibril Cisse are both mightily effective players, whom most Premier League clubs would welcome as a fine addition to their ranks. The pair have hit 19 goals between them for the Black Cats this campaign, but their club manager would prefer to see them operating more in tandem.

He does, however, acknowledge that he won't be whinging if they carry on scoring at the rate they have managed so far this campaign, as goals are the ultimate criteria by which centre-forwards are judged.

"They tend to both do their own thing, rather than work together and that can be a problem sometimes," the manager told local North East newspaper The Sunday Sun.

"But if they end up scoring 30 goals between them, I don’t mind whether their partnership works or not! It can work even if you have two strikers who don’t operate as a partnership.

"From my point of view, Kenwyne is good at coming to the ball but Djib’s strength is going away from the ball and using his pace. You would think that they would complement each other but that hasn’t proved to be the case.

"But their goal record is good, and that’s what strikers are judged on at the end of the day."

Both strikers have occasionally been criticised by Sunderland supporters for not working hard enough at times this season, and Sbragia expects them to improve their work rate as the Mackems look to ensure Premier League survival this campaign.

He concluded, "It’s something we’ve been working on.There are days when it isn’t going too well for them and they can give us more – they have to give us more.

"There are going to be days when they find it tough to hold the ball up but that’s when they have to work harder."

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Sbragia Wants More From Sunderland Strikers Jones & Cisse
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »
no shit !
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
I just do not see what mr. redknapp sees in KJ that he wants him so badd.  Sunderland better cash in quick.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
I just do not see what mr. redknapp sees in KJ that he wants him so badd.  Sunderland better cash in quick.

I guess that's why he is coaching where he coaching and you're not.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »
Steupsssssssss ah wud not be ah 2 face and go against KJ these days. However, ah will admit ah really not impressed wid he these days at all. Well ah know without de services of Latapy in de middle or Stern holding up de ball and laying it off fuh him and an occasional on point cross from Edwards, he have no other service from de soca warriors. Wid dat said, ah still love de yute as a player, but he need to know urgency of country doing well and getting valuable points to qualify fuh de WC 2010. I picked on him cuz he of all people should be giving our country a better effort up front, apart from de service he doh really get ah think he on dis gallery and coasting thing on de field, in other words I think he 2 farking cocky. I repeat, all doh get meh wrong, ah just mad at him, cuz as a man in de EPL, he should be doing much better dan dat. Is not he alone, going down de ladder, Daniel on meh shit list 2, ah set ah ratings and trials wid dis one and dat one and ah see de effort in de red white and black.

De only players dat look like dey serious and giving it dey best shot, all though dey might make mistakes here and there (dat is alright by me) are Me Mum, Stern, Ince, Latapy, Lawrence, Edwards, Hyland and of course de de boss himself (Yorke). Tuh be fair ah cah rate Scotland, cuz he doh really get valuable minutes tuh really judge him, but I think he is trying. In my opinion, ah wud give de more serious and hungry players some more playing time, yeah players like Cornell "Superman" Glenn, Hyland, Scotland, just to name a few dat came to my mind. My national team come first before any individual player or players, so wid dat said, if we not getting de effort from Jones, Daniel and company, Latapy if yuh have de belly, make facking changes, put men on de bench and give dem 12 and 15 minutes off de bench, until dey get dey act together. I have seen dis happen tuh bigger name players, and it does one of 2 things, either dey get hungry again, and we get some service on de pitch or dey hang dey head and doh rebound, simple as dat. As much as ah love Latapy, ah doh think he have de b***s tuh bench a big name player (please prove me wrong Latapy). Apart from dat, I know Stern and Ince personally, and I am fully aware there is a lil click on dat team, no problem wid dat, all yuh just take care of business please. Well Latapy, yuh have an opportunity of a life time, well not really a life time, cuz yuh will still be an assistant and continue tuh learn from a big name, should Mr. Warner choose tuh hire a head coach.

My advice to you Latas, are to do what is best for you to keep your position as head coach, bench men if de effort is not there and very important, do what is best for our country Trinadad & Tobago making it to SA in 2010. People, I typed dis long azz post, cuz I'm hurt and embarrassed from dat USA game, I just never made de time tuh come and vent. Apart from de way ah does deal wid some people round here, ah want each and every individual to know we are all Trinbagonians, and I would expect all of us to want good for our team. I love my team from deep within my heart, so it really hurt me when all these so called big name just coasting on de facking field. Is not dat USA is not a big gun in de region, but is de fact dat we have quality players in de team and I know we are much better dan dat result. We will soon find out in de next few matches, if we just not good enough, or if it was a sell out to get Latapy de job, or tuh get Maturana out de door. Dis might come across a bit harsh tuh some people, but I doh care if it was a sell out nah, cuz dat is in de past right now. Cuz, from here on, ah just need some whole hearted and team effort from each individual dat is getting playing time, so dat we can get the required results to take us to 2010. May de man above bless our entire country and especially our national team members and staff. Peace out. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:23:03 AM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
Buh SUPA dat eh belong here.  Good points but like yuh need ah compass to find de righ chread! :devil:

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
Buh SUPA dat eh belong here.  Good points but like yuh need ah compass to find de righ chread! :devil:

Yuh probably right, my post doh belong here. However, ah saw de thread and as ah was about to give meh opinion, ah remember de USA game and just facking lost it. Ah sorry. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:13:55 AM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »

Probably what he saw in Peter Crouch to buy him twice. I agree Kenwyne aint all that (at least at the moment) but I think the way spurs play, he will certainly get more oppertunities to score than what he does get with Sunderland. Move on brudda is my advice. Redknapp is known fuh giving players he like a fair crack to prove themselves so Jones should take this chance if offered and as he jus sign a new contract, Sunderland should make ah nice bit of cash.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
small scenes we all does get caught up in other thoughts when we ready.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »

The same potential that there for everybody to see. All the ingredients there, the man just need a coach who able to show him what to do to realise that potential. You ever hear about Sbragia before now? There is a reason for that. At least we know Redknapp was able to help people like Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Jermain Defoe, Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick all develop into better players.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »

The same potential that there for everybody to see. All the ingredients there, the man just need a coach who able to show him what to do to realise that potential. You ever hear about Sbragia before now? There is a reason for that. At least we know Redknapp was able to help people like Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Jermain Defoe, Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick all develop into better players.

Spidey why you trying to educate the masses.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »

I guess that's why he is coaching where he coaching and you're not.

^^^ :heehee:

KJ must be doing something right, if those team want him.  There are always going to be critics. He is only 24 and the youth seems to be coachable. If the right one gets ah hold of him...look out.

For the critics, ask yourselves how did a man from de islands make it that far to the EPL?  :waiting:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
kenwyne go to what ever team will provide you with better midfielders and wingers to feed you the ball betteer than what you had this season

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
it was harry that had KJ at Spothampton   right ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »

based on dat alone, i wish Spurs buy him to-friggin-morrow!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:45 AM »

That is very correct, he was the man that gave him his break in England.

ah love it!!

Go Kenwyne Go!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 10:02:20 AM »

Which may be why he's after him so.  He must know a thing or two about how to get more out of KJ.  Or better yet improve him as a player while making his team better.  KJ must have left quite an impression because if nothing else HR is bery persistent in his desire to bring on KJ.  Similarly I guess to how hard he seemed to try while at Pompey to get Hyland there.

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »

Which may be why he's after him so.  He must know a thing or two about how to get more out of KJ.  Or better yet improve him as a player while making his team better.  KJ must have left quite an impression because if nothing else HR is bery persistent in his desire to bring on KJ.  Similarly I guess to how hard he seemed to try while at Pompey to get Hyland there.

Arry is a friend of T&T.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
harry meet KJ at southampton and as he take over as manager (when he get fired from portsmouth) he ship him out on loan to the championship. is only when southampton get relegated from the PL that KJ really start playin fuh dem and by that time harry was long gone...back to portsmouth
mistakes are stepping stones to success

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »
harry meet KJ at southampton and as he take over as manager (when he get fired from portsmouth) he ship him out on loan to the championship. is only when southampton get relegated from the PL that KJ really start playin fuh dem and by that time harry was long gone...back to portsmouth

Well me eh kno wha he infatuation wit KJ is about den

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 09:36:22 AM »

jaden talking a little bit of assness there.... sometimes the reason a coach "ships out" a young player on loan is to gain experience....
Harry was the man who give KJ his premiership debut against Liverpool!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »

jaden talking a little bit of assness there.... sometimes the reason a coach "ships out" a young player on loan is to gain experience....
Harry was the man who give KJ his premiership debut against Liverpool!

Well I admitedly never followed Southampton so I cah argue no merits of their relationship.  But sending out a player on loan to build up is a common thing.  Look when carlos head was down and his game dipped.  Keane sent him out on loan to regain that bit of confidence he seemed to lack.  I feel Harry have ah vision of what KJ could do under the right guidance and he wants to be the one.  he probably also see where he can benefit greatly from KJs physical presence

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 09:47:11 AM »
Well I admitedly never followed Southampton so I cah argue no merits of their relationship.  But sending out a player on loan to build up is a common thing.  Look when carlos head was down and his game dipped.  Keane sent him out on loan to regain that bit of confidence he seemed to lack.  I feel Harry have ah vision of what KJ could do under the right guidance and he wants to be the one.  he probably also see where he can benefit greatly from KJs physical presence

Man it had people here was blue vex when Keane send Carlos on loan... no lie...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »

Man it had people here was blue vex when Keane send Carlos on loan... no lie...

I was right here to witness de setta assness :devil:

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 01:00:22 AM »
For whats it worth I think he will end up at Spurs for next season with Bent going the other way (if we survive only).

Arry however is a take no prisoners manager, when / if he signs he will be the best thing since sliced bread, a few moderate performances and he will be searching for yet another striker. Don't kid yourself about development he simply won't do it, its all about wheeling and dealing and with the money Spurs have got there will be a big turnaround of players.

Now if you want Kenwyne to develop Villa and MON is the place for him to go. (imho)

1]; } ?>