March 28, 2024, 09:39:25 AM

Author Topic: Redknapp back for Kenwyne Jones  (Read 15452 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Redknapp back for Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
The same two men who didn't sign Jones when they had the chance now wants him the most.... Interesting.

McLeish (Glasgow Rangers) & Harry Rednapp (Southampton). Only man missing is Alex Ferguson.

Jones choose Southampton over rangers and west ham
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Birmingham linked with £11m move for Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 06:33:53 AM »
Birmingham have made an £11 million bid for Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones, according to reports.

Jones is reported to be keen on a move to St Andrew's

The Birmingham Mail suggests Alex McLeish has received encouragement from Steve Bruce after enquiring about Jones and that the Trinidad & Tobago international is also keen for the transfer to go through.

The news comes amid reports that moves for Liverpool's Ryan Babel, Schalke's Kevin Kuranyi and Celtic's Aiden McGeady have all foundered.

Birmingham, who are understood to have a £40 million transfer kitty following Carson Yeung's takeover, made a bid for Babel, believed to be in the region of £8 million, but the clubs are yet to come to an agreement and McLeish could now consider other targets.

A move for Kuranyi is said to have been abandoned after the 27-year-old former Germany striker demanded £70,000-a-week wages, while Celtic are believed to have no interest in allowing McGeady to leave the club.

Various newspapers have suggested that Sunderland could themselves make a £3.5 million move for Kuranyi, which would leave Jones surplus to requirements.

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham linked with £11m move for Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:35 AM »
dont know what to make of this ! bitter sweet news

KJ better start to work his socks off, when managers are keen to off load you its never a good sign
glad that birmingham are there to suck him up

if this happens ah backing sunders to be kicked to relegation zone, i only suppported em cause of the trini connection
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:40:13 AM by Mock de Dread »

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
What ever happen to Aston Villa or Tottenham why will he wanna go Birmingham ???

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
Well, who do you believe, Stoke are again linked at £8 Million for Kenwyne, can't for the life of me see him being sold in Jan.  The papers are full of everything at the minute, if the link to Villa has any truth thats where I would go if I was him, if he has a choice in the summer.   

Haven't a clue about the German striker as I don't watch the league but I take it he is a target man type striker, I've heard the name but not watched him tbh, he is out of contract in the summer hence low price but big wages, SSN reporting the deal has hit a snag. I wouldn't necessarily see him as a replacement for Kenwyne more competition or maybe a replacement after getting his legs (if he can) in the EPL.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 10:12:29 AM »
Villa Villa Villa Villa

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
If yuh moving on, yuh move on for better..

Spurs and Villa is better...

Birmingham and Stoke is lateral at best, likely worse.

Kev, Kuranyi is an established German striker, strong player up front and a good finisher. Never really thought he was up to the required level in the German national team setup, but still whats not in doubt is he gets goals and would be a very good coup for Sunderland. As a matter of fact, I kinda surprised he willing to go there, no offence, but for a player of his calibre it seems like a step down to me.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
If yuh moving on, yuh move on for better..

Spurs and Villa is better...

Birmingham and Stoke is lateral at best, likely worse.

Kev, Kuranyi is an established German striker, strong player up front and a good finisher. Never really thought he was up to the required level in the German national team setup, but still whats not in doubt is he gets goals and would be a very good coup for Sunderland. As a matter of fact, I kinda surprised he willing to go there, no offence, but for a player of his calibre it seems like a step down to me.

Thanks none taken

Interesting article in the Guardian, the reason I say its interesting as the writer has contacts at teh club and is usually not far off, she is always complimentary about the club and hence seems to get the inside track, so something maybe going on and I might be wrong again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/07/kenwyne-jones-sunderland-birmingham-city

Sunderland prepared to put Kenwyne Jones up for auction

• Birmingham City willing to pay £11m for Trinidadian
• Centre-forward also being looked at by Stoke and Spurs

Sunderland are prepared to sell Kenwyne Jones this month but will not part with the striker until they have signed a replacement. In the interim, they hope to provoke an auction.

Birmingham City are willing to pay up to £11m for the Trinidadian but, with Stoke City keen on a centre-forward who is once again being eyed by Tottenham Hotspur, their manager, Alex McLeish, is likely to be kept waiting for an answer.

Much may depend on Sunderland's proposed signing of Kevin Kurányi, the former Germany striker. The 27-year-old Schalke 04 forward, who will be out of contract in the summer, is close to a £3.5m move to the Stadium of Light after being tracked by Steve Bruce for some time.

Kurányi, who was born in Brazil and has Panamanian and German-Hungarian parentage, scored 19 goals in 52 appearances for Germany before falling out with the national coach, Joachim Löw in 2008.

Regarded as "talented but temperamental" in Germany, the 6ft 3in Kurányi, fluent in five languages, is said to want to join Sunderland but his £70,000-a-week wage demands could yet prove a stumbling block.

Selling Jones, who signed a lucrative long-term contract last January after Sunderland rejected a £12m bid from Spurs, would represent a considerable gamble on Bruce's part. Although the striker, recruited from Southampton by Roy Keane, can be virtually unplayable on his day, Sunderland's latest manager has been unimpressed by his attitude this season.

While Jones is believed to be interested in relocating to Birmingham, the prospect of joining Stoke is thought to be less appealing. Bruce is enticed by the prospect of taking one or more of Tony Pulis's players in part-exchange, particularly if the Turkey international Tuncay Sanli were part of any deal.

Sunderland's manager explored the possibility of signing Tuncay from Middlesbrough last summer and remains a big admirer of a forward who has experienced mixed fortunes at Stoke.

Should Jones move to Birmingham, Teemu Tainio, the midfielder on a year-long loan at St Andrew's from the Stadium of Light, would almost certainly have that agreement cut short and return to Wearside. Bruce has been light in central midfield at times this season but Tainio is sidelined after undergoing knee surgery in November.

The Sunderland manager, meanwhile, is stepping up a long-standing pursuit of Maynor Figueroa, the Wigan Athletic left-back but the board are reluctant to meet Wigan's current £7m asking price.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
Alex McLeish is refusing to risk Birmingham City’s financial future but is willing to make Kenwyne Jones the club’s highest earner if he can lure him from Sunderland. Birmingham would be willing to offer Jones, who earns £50,000 a week, a 10 per cent pay rise.

McLeish said: "We've made enquiries about a lot of people. I don't want to confirm or deny a bid has gone in (for Kenwyne Jones). There is a lot of transfer speculation now and it is not something I like to talk about when nothing has been done." He added: "We have made enquiries for several players. I am not going to confirm or deny any names.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
!!million poungs for Jones- Birmingham
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
Just read from BBC sports that Birmingham is willing to pay Sunderland 11million for Jones and give him 10% more on his 50.000 .pounds a week salary. no wonder he is a star boy when he plays for T&T.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: !!million poungs for Jones- Birmingham
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »
Just read from BBC sports that Birmingham is willing to pay Sunderland 11million for Jones and give him 10% more on his 50.000 .pounds a week salary. no wonder he is a star boy when he plays for T&T.

We doh need any star boys who cyah/doh score for we, sorry!!

But our star boy coach like to pick star boys like himself so hence we came a star boy last place in the Hex!  :-[
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 04:46:56 AM »

We doh need any star boys who cyah/doh score for we, sorry!!

But our star boy coach like to pick star boys like himself so hence we came a star boy last place in the Hex!  :-[
In all honesty pro. there's no comparison wid the epl and TNT shit football. in england kenwyne get's better service and royal treatment! in TNT man getting KFC and ah red solo after games, have tuh return they jersey, and men who cyar get out of their own defensive half, much less make ah good pass or put in ah good cross!

ah boyyyy! sometimes i wish i could just wish the whole TTFF away!!!!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:38 AM »

50,000 pounds back den  that was big money in the epl
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
Men getting real reckless wit dis "star boy" shit talk, sah.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:51 AM »
Alex McLeish is refusing to risk Birmingham City’s financial future but is willing to make Kenwyne Jones the club’s highest earner if he can lure him from Sunderland. Birmingham would be willing to offer Jones, who earns £50,000 a week, a 10 per cent pay rise.

McLeish said: "We've made enquiries about a lot of people. I don't want to confirm or deny a bid has gone in (for Kenwyne Jones). There is a lot of transfer speculation now and it is not something I like to talk about when nothing has been done." He added: "We have made enquiries for several players. I am not going to confirm or deny any names.

SOURCE??

lol

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »

yuh understand....is score de fella en score, man gehin on like if he goin around cussin off players n disruptin next man confidence
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »

yuh understand....is score de fella en score, man gehin on like if he goin around cussin off players n disruptin next man confidence

COSIGNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
if man like Frank Daniel "Frankie" Hejduk could manners him... he could take some stick for being a "Star Boy" with we...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:11:03 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bruce slams Kenwyne transfer claims
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
Sunderland Echo

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has quashed rumours striker Kenwyne Jones is set to leave the club.

Reports indicate that the Trinidad and Tobago frontman is likely to leave the Black Cats, with Germany forward Kevin Kuranyi moving to Wearside.

But despite speculation that Birmingham City have tabled a bid for Jones, Bruce has responded by denying the suggestion he will be sold.

Bruce told the club's official website, safc.com: "We haven't received any bids for Kenwyne.

"He's an important part of our team and he isn't going anywhere.

He added: "I'm trying to build a squad that can compete here at Sunderland and I want quality players like Kenwyne Jones at the club.

"I've already expressed my dislike of the January window and my opinion on that certainly hasn't changed.

"It's an unsettling time for players, for clubs and it certainly makes a manager's job all the more difficult."
Kenwyne Jones will not leave Sunderland in transfer window, says Steve Bruce
By Rob Stewart (telegraph.co.uk)

Bruce spoke out to make it clear that the Trinidad & Tobago striker was part of his long-terms plans as he hit out at reports linking Jones with an £11 million move to Birmingham.

Bruce said: “We haven’t received any bids for Kenwyne. He’s an important part of our team and he isn’t going anywhere.

“I’m trying to build a squad that can compete here at Sunderland and I want quality players like Kenwyne Jones at the club.”

“I’ve already expressed my dislike of the January window and my opinion on that certainly hasn’t changed. It’s an unsettling time for players, for clubs and it certainly makes a manager’s job all the more difficult.”

The former Manchester United captain described the transfer speculation as “unsettling and not helpful” while a club official added: “The opening of the January transfer window has seen Sunderland linked with over a dozen players, as well as stories suggesting bids for striker Kenwyne Jones.”

Meanwhile, Bruce back the decision to postpone Saturday’s game against Bolton due to the Arctic weather conditions gripping Wearside.

“Obviously we’re disappointed that the game has been called off,” Bruce added.

“We’ve prepared the team as normal and tried to stick to a schedule all week despite the ice and snow, so it’s a frustration for everyone, that’s for sure.

“Fans work hard all week too and the match is something they look forward to at the end of the week so I’m sure they’ll be disappointed.

“But when it comes to a question of safety then football certainly has to come second, there’s no doubt about that. The sensible decision has been taken, with the welfare of everyone in mind.

“A lot of hard work has gone on behind the scenes to get the game on but I don’t think many of us have seen weather quite like this for a long time and common sense has prevailed.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
Well Steve Bruce certainly take his sweet time to speak out.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce slams Kenwyne transfer claims
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »
Sunderland Echo

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has quashed rumours striker Kenwyne Jones is set to leave the club.

Reports indicate that the Trinidad and Tobago frontman is likely to leave the Black Cats, with Germany forward Kevin Kuranyi moving to Wearside.

But despite speculation that Birmingham City have tabled a bid for Jones, Bruce has responded by denying the suggestion he will be sold.

Bruce told the club's official website, safc.com: "We haven't received any bids for Kenwyne.

He added: "I'm trying to build a squad that can compete here at Sunderland and I want quality players like Kenwyne Jones at the club.

"I've already expressed my dislike of the January window and my opinion on that certainly hasn't changed.

"It's an unsettling time for players, for clubs and it certainly makes a manager's job all the more difficult."

Bruce spoke out to make it clear that the Trinidad & Tobago striker was part of his long-terms plans as he hit out at reports linking Jones with an £11 million move to Birmingham.

Bruce said: “We haven’t received any bids for Kenwyne. He’s an important part of our team and he isn’t going anywhere.

“I’m trying to build a squad that can compete here at Sunderland and I want quality players like Kenwyne Jones at the club.”

“I’ve already expressed my dislike of the January window and my opinion on that certainly hasn’t changed. It’s an unsettling time for players, for clubs and it certainly makes a manager’s job all the more difficult.”

The former Manchester United captain described the transfer speculation as “unsettling and not helpful” while a club official added: “The opening of the January transfer window has seen Sunderland linked with over a dozen players, as well as stories suggesting bids for striker Kenwyne Jones.”

Meanwhile, Bruce back the decision to postpone Saturday’s game against Bolton due to the Arctic weather conditions gripping Wearside.

“We’ve prepared the team as normal and tried to stick to a schedule all week despite the ice and snow, so it’s a frustration for everyone, that’s for sure.

“Fans work hard all week too and the match is something they look forward to at the end of the week so I’m sure they’ll be disappointed.

“But when it comes to a question of safety then football certainly has to come second, there’s no doubt about that. The sensible decision has been taken, with the welfare of everyone in mind.

“A lot of hard work has gone on behind the scenes to get the game on but I don’t think many of us have seen weather quite like this for a long time and common sense has prevailed.”

:bs:
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
Sunderland Echo

:bs:

My :bs: is a little rusty but from what I could pick out my translation is this:
Either he didn't find he was getting high enough offers for Kenwyne, or things wasn't looking good with the Kuranyi deal or both.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »
shut ur mouth Bruce and transfer the man nah.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2010, 01:57:11 AM »
I eh care nor trust Steve Bruce or Alex McLeish, Kj just need to bow his head down and focus on his game and i am sure he knows that.  
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jerome would welcome Jones move
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2010, 07:03:38 AM »
Jerome would welcome Jones move
By John Curtis (Press Association Sport)

Cameron Jerome believes Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones would be a "top addition" to the Birmingham squad and would welcome the competition for places.

Blues boss Alex McLeish has his sights set on signing Jones during the January transfer window and is understood to have made a firm inquiry for the Trinidad and Tobago international.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce would be receptive to allowing Jones to leave if any offer matched his minimum asking price of £11 million.

And City forward Jerome would welcome the arrival of Jones to challenge himself, Christian Benitez and veteran Kevin Phillips for places upfront as he prepares for tonight's home clash with Manchester United.

Jerome said: "Would I welcome a signing like Kenwyne Jones? Definitely, I'd welcome that sort of competition.

"We've got a thin squad here and obviously we're losing a couple of players at the weekend due to injury (Lee Carsley and Stuart Parnaby).

"We're down to our bare bones. Myself and 'Chucho' (Benitez) have done a good job up front so far but it would be good to have one or even two strikers in.

"Kevin Phillips has not really featured much this season for whatever reason and the manager feels like he needs to strengthen the squad and most players would agree with that.

"We're on a good run, a bit of a purple patch at the moment. We've been lucky with injuries to our starting XI. But if anyone was ruled out, then there's not too much cover in the squad and I think that's what is needed, some players in."

Jerome added: "Jones would definitely be a good addition. He has played in the Premier League for a number of years and he's a good old-fashioned centre forward.

"From my personal point of view, I'd love to play off somebody like him. It's crying out for myself to play off a big striker rather than myself being the big striker someone else plays off.

"I'd love somebody of that stature and calibre to come into Birmingham. I think he would benefit the team as well.

"But, whoever the manager brings in, I'm sure it's going to be quality added to the squad, not just quantity."

Jerome is confident City can cause problems for United but is wary of a backlash after their shock FA Cup reversal against Leeds last weekend.

He said: "We played relatively well at the beginning of the season at Old Trafford and were unlucky to lose by the one goal.

"Now we're 11 games unbeaten in the Premier League and United have hit a bit of a sticky patch. We're going into the game full of confidence, hoping we can cause an upset.

"But we know there could be a backlash after their cup defeat. There is no doubting the quality they have got, world-class players throughout their squad."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones set to snub Birmingham in hope of Big Four move
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »
Mirror Football

Kenwyne Jones is set to snub Birmingham's £10million January bid to sign him and stay at Sunderland until the summer.

The giant striker has told friends he wants to hang on in the hope of a move that will give him the chance to play Champions League football.

And if that doesn't happen at one of the Big Four clubs in this country he'll try to move abroad when the season ends.

That will come as a blow to Birmingham boss McLeish who was hoping to break his club's transfer record to make the Trinidad and Tobago international his first major signing.

Stadium of Light boss Steve Bruce has insisted publicly he doesn't want to sell but has only played the 25-year-old for 90 minutes six times in the Premier League this season.

McLeish expects to tie up a £3m deal for midfielder Michel from Sporting Gijon this week, but it was Jones - with 23 goals from 71 League games for the Black Cats - who was his major target.

An insider said: "At 25 Kenwyne sees himself as being ready to take a step up if he leaves Sunderland and if a chance to play Champions League football doesn't happen now then he'll wait to assess the situation."

McLeish, with up to £40m available from his new Chinese owners, will now up his attempts to persuade Wigan to part with Hugo Rodallega as well as former Newcastle midfielder Charles N'Zogbia.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
Birmingham is ah big club jess ask Manchester United.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones set to snub Birmingham in hope of Big Four move
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Mirror Football

Kenwyne Jones is set to snub Birmingham's £10million January bid to sign him and stay at Sunderland until the summer.

The giant striker has told friends he wants to hang on in the hope of a move that will give him the chance to play Champions League football.

And if that doesn't happen at one of the Big Four clubs in this country he'll try to move abroad when the season ends.

That will come as a blow to Birmingham boss McLeish who was hoping to break his club's transfer record to make the Trinidad and Tobago international his first major signing.

Stadium of Light boss Steve Bruce has insisted publicly he doesn't want to sell but has only played the 25-year-old for 90 minutes six times in the Premier League this season.

McLeish expects to tie up a £3m deal for midfielder Michel from Sporting Gijon this week, but it was Jones - with 23 goals from 71 League games for the Black Cats - who was his major target.

An insider said: "At 25 Kenwyne sees himself as being ready to take a step up if he leaves Sunderland and if a chance to play Champions League football doesn't happen now then he'll wait to assess the situation."

McLeish, with up to £40m available from his new Chinese owners, will now up his attempts to persuade Wigan to part with Hugo Rodallega as well as former Newcastle midfielder Charles N'Zogbia.
:rotfl: :devil: :devil:

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
Apat from the fact that he and Bruce do have much love for each other, it's probably perceived that he has reached peak sale value at Sunderland and thus he has to be sold now and thus decision to play around with and tease the prospective buyers and create enough paranoia about EPL rival competition to get the best price out of them
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How Kenwyne Jones would have cost Blues £28million
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2010, 05:30:47 AM »
How Kenwyne Jones would have cost Blues £28million
By Colin Tattum (Birmingham Mail)

ALEX McLeish is back to square one in his search for a new striker to boost his Blues’ glory boys.

McLeish has drawn a line under the move for Kenwyne Jones due to the stupendous cost of the total package it would require to land the striker, who Sunderland value at £15 million.

Including transfer fees, add-ons, various clauses and wages over the length of contract – Jones is understood to be seeking towards £70,000 a week – Blues found themselves looking at an outlay of around £28 million.

That’s just too hefty for McLeish and the Blues board to stomach and he is considering other options.

The manager and Carson Yeung’s directors were quite confident an agreement could be reached at the tail end of last week but the landscape began to change dramatically.

Blues wrote themselves into club record books by drawing against Manchester United on Saturday – a 12th consective top-flight game unbeaten.

And McLeish also set a new Premier League mark by selecting the same starting XI for the ninth game in a row, signifying not only the superb sequence of results but extraordinary durability in the ranks. McLeish maintained that he still, nonetheless, wanted to help his squad – Michel’s £3 million capture from Sporting Gijon was being completed today – but not by going OTT, as the Jones decision shows.

Speaking generally, and not in relation to Jones, he said: “I think adding to the squad is vital to the players, for the guys that have done so well.

“What I am conscious of is taking too big a step, signing a certain type of player at a certain type of wages at a certain type of transfer fee.

“I don’t know if that’s absolutely necessary at this given time because you can jump ahead too quickly and I’ve said in the press this past week that I’ve got a responsibility to Birmingham, to make sure the finances don’t go haywire.”

“We’ve looked at it but then we’ve got to consider what are the expectation levels if I bring a big, giant signing in,” he continued.

“Do the fans expect us getting into Europe? There are probably seven teams in this league that are untouchable for the rest of us.

“That’s my dilemma. I think the players have made great progress – let’s just calm the jets a wee bit and keep our feet on the ground.”

Blues’ eighth position and 33-point haul has softened the need for any panic buying during the January window.

McLeish is not alone in discovering that prices are high and value for money lower than usual.

As for setting a new record, he insisted: “I don’t really look at statistics. I just look at trying to get a result for the team and the club on the day and if we break records, that is great.

“But it is not something I actively look at.

“To go 12 games unbeaten in this tough Premier League is terrific. I’ve said that one day we will be beaten – that’s a fact – but we have to do all we can in ensuring we can always finish a game the way we did on Saturday, being proud of our performances and making the opposition feel they’ve been in a hell of a game. And we did that against the champions.”

1]; } ?>