April 27, 2024, 04:49:14 PM

Author Topic: Much hope for selected Sunderland 8  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Much hope for selected Sunderland 8
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »
Much hope for selected Sunderland 8
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Video of Digicel Press Conference

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation Special Advisor Jack Warner says he expects Leston Paul to make maximum use of his one-week stay at Sunderland next month and is backing the little midfielder to bring back all the benefits to the local set up.

Warner said he remembered the days when the chance for any footballer to even step foot in Europe on any football venture was looked at as a once in a lifetime opportunity which came on the odd occasion  for the region. But now it has turned into a much more regular occurrence and is set to take off even further.

“I think the decision to take Leston was a good one. He has all the attributes of a good player and of course going there for the week will play a part in his development. It is up to him and the other selected players to make the full use of this opportunity and take it back to their respective countries. They must be role models for their other countrymen of that similar age group,” Warner told TTFF Media.

“I remember the days whenever there was the slightest hint that a player had a chance to play in England it was like a dream come true and now we are experiencing even more of these dreams. We have had John Barnes and Dwight Yorke and several others who have carried the torch and now we are hoping that with more opportunities like this one from Digicel will continue to keep that torch lighting.”

The other players selected to make the trip include  Joseph Guemley and Renaud Brisley ( Haiti ), Gerard Williams and Devaughn Elliot (St Kitts/Nevis),  Akeem Brown (Jamaica) ), Emilio Limon ( Surinam ) and Guyana’s Andrew Murray .

On the selection of Paul, clinic coach John Barnes said:  “The infrastructure, the dedication, the desire - these are the elements and the attributes I was looking for. Leston Paul who has been called into the full national team is the second player I have chosen. He was quite small because the rest of the Trinidad team was huge. He was their central midfield player, played in front of the back four but he had good quality, good skills and while he was playing against boys much bigger than himself he seemed to have the intelligence. A lot of is expected of Leston Paul, his quality really shun through in terms of his tactical discipline.”

“I have to say a I expected a lot from Trinidad and Jamaica but St Kitts really impressed me as well in terms of their interest and their organization,” Barnes added.
Warner meantime, revealed that more emphasis will be placed on the preparation of the T&T Women’s team for upcoming competitions. It is likely that both the National Olympic and Under 17 Women’s teams will head to the United States for training camps ahead of their respective CONCACAF final round tournaments.

Meantime, St Kitts/Nevis FA President Peter Jenkins extended gratitude for the opportunity given to two of his island’s bright upcoming talents.

“I didn’t come to Jamaica to hear the announcement because to me it was irrelevant. I came to give thanks to Digicel for giving hope to our country, our football development program and for giving hope to the boys of the region. This is going to energies the youngsters in terms of striving for excellence. This is what Digicel, the CFU and Sunderland have been able to do,” Jenkins said on Saturday.

“I am very, very pleased. We started on this youth development program about three years ago. We are on the right road and wee look forward to continuing our development. The boys who didn’t make it this time can now believe they still have a chance to go forward,” he added.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:45:51 AM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Much hope for selected Sunderland 8
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:52:41 AM »
What exactly are these guys going to learn in a week that they can take back to their countries?

1 week

7 days

Triallists go for longer periods.

On the surface, this thing seems kinda iffy.

Den again....ah guess is better dan nutting.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:59:15 AM »
What exactly are these guys going to learn in a week that they can take back to their countries?

1 week

7 days

Is ah trip, chance to meet some millionares for the trini and St Kitts boys, billionares for the Jamaican and Guyanese an trillionares for the Haitians.

They going to experience the biting cold although it going to be about 23deg.

And the Jamaicans, Guyanese and Haitians going to get ah visa in dey passport.

The experience should make dem work harder towards becoming pro ballers.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »

1 week

7 days

If Paul really as good as some on here say a week should be enough to show his quality. They also getting a chaace to see profesionals play and train. Exposure to a professional environment alone would have a big impact on them. They will be able to let others in their country know what professionalism is. Training with Yorke, Jones and Edwards can't hurt either. They may develop a special interest in him.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »
palos....you wont believe how much they will learn
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »

1 week

7 days

If Paul really as good as some on here say a week should be enough to show his quality. They also getting a chaace to see profesionals play and train. Exposure to a professional environment alone would have a big impact on them. They will be able to let others in their country know what professionalism is. Training with Yorke, Jones and Edwards can't hurt either. They may develop a special interest in him.
Actually, they're more likely to be training with the reserve squad as opposed to the first team guys like Yorke, Kenwyne and Carlos. Nevertheless, the exposure to a professional training environment alone should give them a good idea of the amount of hardwork that goes into playing professional football.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:19 AM »
Reserves? They training with the youth side to see if they could handle the level
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »
Plenty other teams will look at them not just sunderland.
As they are young dont be surprise if some get extended offers to stay and get contract.

All they need is talent because they clubs know they will be available at dirt cheap prices and if they have they talent they could mold them for the future.

Young plus talent = opportunity

opportunity to make a good bit of money in the future or find the next dwight yorke.

Jones, Yorke etc were in the same boat.

A player at leston Paul Ability would easily cost 5 million pounds given his age if say Man City wanted to buy him from man Utd youth squad.

It is all based on Potential.

Even if he never makes it big it would be wort the risk if you could get him for a 1 million TT or less.

This is pure economics and just a general extension of global exploitation.

How must money you think the haitain team or St kitts team taking as a transfer fee
Trust me they taking anything they giving.

Sad but True.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »

1 week

7 days

Dont think there is anything iffy about it, I would imagine Sunderland / digicell are paying the fares putting them up etc.  They are after all bairns I would imagine it was setup this way for the clubs and the lads benefit.  It must be easier for them to show what they have with a group of them rather than being by themselves for a "trial", they are less likely to be overawed feel homesick etc.

Sunderland benefit because of the above and get to look at several rather than 1 or 2 at a time.  I don't know whats going to happen, are the club going to invite them back for a longer spell if they impress or indeed offer them a training contract.  It would only take 1 player to come through to make it worthwhile to the club. 

I would imagine seeing a different professional setup and training methods will help them and meeting / talking to RK can't be that bad either.

I hope something comes out of this for both the lads and the club.

Can someone please tell me a little bit about them, passing ability pace skill level etc.   

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »

1 week

7 days

Dont think there is anything iffy about it, I would imagine Sunderland / digicell are paying the fares putting them up etc.  They are after all bairns I would imagine it was setup this way for the clubs and the lads benefit.  It must be easier for them to show what they have with a group of them rather than being by themselves for a "trial", they are less likely to be overawed feel homesick etc.

Sunderland benefit because of the above and get to look at several rather than 1 or 2 at a time.  I don't know whats going to happen, are the club going to invite them back for a longer spell if they impress or indeed offer them a training contract.  It would only take 1 player to come through to make it worthwhile to the club. 

I would imagine seeing a different professional setup and training methods will help them and meeting / talking to RK can't be that bad either.

Can someone please tell me a little bit about them, passing ability pace skill level etc.   

Kev..I totally understand that, especially from a Sunderland POV.  If even ONE player gets asked to stay and that ONE player somehow goes on to either 1) Play a single game for the Sunderland 1st team, or 2) Get an offer from another team (which is where Sunderland could derive a profit from the cost of bringing all eight) then is a win /win for Sunderland and the players.

What I'm wondering about is the agenda for these players.  What exactly are they going to do while at Sunderland?

Ah mean....yes, I'm sure the professional environment will be different for many of these players.  There will be a different level of intensity, preparation etc.  But there will also be THE WEATHER.  This is February/Early march in England.  I sorry....but 1 week to acclimatise in dem kinda alien conditions for the majority if not all these players is precious little time.  Unless they doin all dey trainin indoors.

Basically, when Jack Warner say take full use of the opportunity and come back and come back and teach it to their home countries as role models, what exactly he talkin about given that is just 1 week they have?

For a Leston Paul, is this Sunderland 1 week experience any more beneficial or eye opening than say going to and participating in the U 17 World Cup?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:04:02 PM by palos »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 01:43:23 PM »
Plenty other teams will look at them not just sunderland.
As they are young dont be surprise if some get extended offers to stay and get contract.

All they need is talent because they clubs know they will be available at dirt cheap prices and if they have they talent they could mold them for the future.

Young plus talent = opportunity

opportunity to make a good bit of money in the future or find the next dwight yorke.

Jones, Yorke etc were in the same boat.

A player at leston Paul Ability would easily cost 5 million pounds given his age if say Man City wanted to buy him from man Utd youth squad.

It is all based on Potential.

Even if he never makes it big it would be wort the risk if you could get him for a 1 million TT or less.

This is pure economics and just a general extension of global exploitation.

How must money you think the haitain team or St kitts team taking as a transfer fee
Trust me they taking anything they giving.

Sad but True.

John Barnes is simply a doing the work of a glorified scout. Jack is doing his usual, taking the mundane and talking this up like it is a chance of a lifetime that he created for the youths, when this is just a scouting assignment made easy by having all the national teams assemble their players for inspection. Barnes runs them through some excercises to assess them and presto! He makes reccomendations based on skill, but also possibly based on what Sunderland advised him they are looking for.

Nothing wrong with that, the players have a chance to travel and learn some skills from both Barnes and Sunderland's coaches. They also get to be in the same environment as some of their heros. I'm sure one or more of the Sunderland Trinis will spend a little time with Paul.

It's not really exploitation though, all parties have come willingly to this agreement even though it probably skewed in Sunderland's favor. As for the youths, don't forget they are still young and not cynical like us on this board ;)  They will be surely be motivated to push forward with their careers, cold notwithstanding.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:49:26 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
John Barnes is simply a doing the work of a glorified scout. Jack is doing his usual, taking the mundane and talking this up like it is a chance of a lifetime that he created for the youths, when this is just a scouting assignment made easy by having all the national teams assemble their players for inspection. Barnes runs them through some excercises to assess them and presto! He makes reccomendations based on skill, but also possibly based on what Sunderland advised him they are looking for.

Nothing wrong with that, the players have a chance to travel and learn some skills from both Barnes and Sunderland's coaches. They also get to be in the same environment as some of their heros. I'm sure one or more of the Sunderland Trinis will spend a little time with Paul.

It's not really exploitation though, all parties have come willingly to this agreement even though it probably skewed in Sunderland's favor. As for the youths, don't forget they are still young and not cynical like us on this board ;)  They will be surely be motivated to push forward with their careers, cold notwithstanding.

Well said

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »

1 week

7 days

Kev..I totally understand that, especially from a Sunderland POV.  If even ONE player gets asked to stay and that ONE player somehow goes on to either 1) Play a single game for the Sunderland 1st team, or 2) Get an offer from another team (which is where Sunderland could derive a profit from the cost of bringing all eight) then is a win /win for Sunderland and the players.

What I'm wondering about is the agenda for these players.  What exactly are they going to do while at Sunderland?

Ah mean....yes, I'm sure the professional environment will be different for many of these players.  There will be a different level of intensity, preparation etc.  But there will also be THE WEATHER.  This is February/Early march in England.  I sorry....but 1 week to acclimatise in dem kinda alien conditions for the majority if not all these players is precious little time.  Unless they doin all dey trainin indoors.

Basically, when Jack Warner say take full use of the opportunity and come back and come back and teach it to their home countries as role models, what exactly he talkin about given that is just 1 week they have?

For a Leston Paul, is this Sunderland 1 week experience any more beneficial or eye opening than say going to and participating in the U 17 World Cup?

Its the end of March 23rd I think, its not so bad for the North, but that wind off the North Sea will feel like its Siberia to the lads.

No one knows whats going through the clubs mind, but I can hazard a guess.  The lads are all young with potential and lets face it will cost cost a lot to buy or contracts by UK standards (although probably a lot of money by tha lads standards, Sunderland are a fair club I must stress)

All have good potential, I think most have played at International standard.  As pointed out Barnes is playing the scouting role, I would imagine it is not any different from the normal scouting role as in UK and Europe.  Scouts report other people go to see them and some sort of decision is made.  I know Sunderland have a policy of trying to buy youth, just bought a very big young lad from France who is just in the reserves but regarded as having potential, noone knows whether that will be fulfilled or not.

I would hazard a guess that it is difficult, time consuming and expensive to follow the same formulae for your part of the world, and the club are largely basing the outlook on JB word.  The week will allow the club to take a look at the skill level, pace etc, but more importantly get a feel for the lads, likelyhood of settling and most important of all attitude.  Not something they probably normally can do with routine signings.  If they cannot handle the conditions in March lets face it they are very unlikely to handle the conditions in December/january.

From the lads perspective I am sure all would love a contract, but being there a week at that time of year maybe an eyeopener for them and some may decide its not for them.  Lets face it gicing they are only bairns its not going to be that easy to up sticks and move half way around the world.

As I have said I can only guess but Sunderland will be looking for players, not profit thats the only thing I am sure of

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »

1 week

7 days

Actually, they're more likely to be training with the reserve squad as opposed to the first team guys like Yorke, Kenwyne and Carlos. Nevertheless, the exposure to a professional training environment alone should give them a good idea of the amount of hardwork that goes into playing professional football.

I never thought he would be training with the first team guys. Yorke and Carlos not fit right now and I sure Kenwyne would drop in at least one day to see how they are adjusting.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 07:42:55 AM »

Well said

agreed  :applause: :applause: :applause:

I pray that these fellas put on such a performance that they allow them to stay on for much longer... Plus I'm glad someone is willing to take a chance on one of us trinis... Hopefully he can prove the doubters on de board wrong... :D

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
SAFC ready to welcome young players
By Nick Alexander (SAFC.com)

18th March 2008

Eight of the Caribbean's best young footballers will spend time training with Sunderland next week.

The players, aged between 16 and 19, were chosen from the Digicel Kick Start clinics, held in eight countries in the Caribbean earlier this year.

The group will arrive in the North-East on Sunday ahead of their first training session at the Academy of Light on Monday morning.

After training at the Academy of Light for a week, mainly with the club's youth team, the players will watch Sunderland's Premier League game against West Ham at the Stadium of Light on March 29 before they head home.

John Barnes, the former Liverpool winger, is head coach for Digicel and oversaw every under-20 training session in the Caribbean before choosing the eight outstanding players.

Barnes said: "In the six weeks of travelling, we saw an abundance of talent and commitment. The chosen eight players are ambassadors for Caribbean football and my hope is that their journey to the UK will open people's eyes to the potential of the Caribbean as an untapped talent pool."

One of the players, Leston Paul, is from Trinidad and Tobago and after captaining his country in the U20 [sic, U-17] World Cup last year, he has made the breakthrough to the senior squad.

The midfielder, 17, is looking forward to linking up with his countrymen Dwight Yorke, Kenwyne Jones and Carlos Edwards at Sunderland.

He said: "It obviously is a big opportunity because this doesn't come along much for people in this region. I think for any player going to a Premiership club, it will be a big opportunity because you never know what could happen."

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
They wont get a chance to train / see CE and KJ as it coincides with the friendly, shame but no doubt will see them saturday at the match, should be an experience for them 40 odd thousand crowd, quite noisy.

Wish the lads well, but it will feel cold to them especially with that wind off the North Sea, its not too warm this week.

1]; } ?>