April 25, 2024, 04:33:24 PM

Author Topic: Crackdown on ‘PH’ taxis coming —Philbert  (Read 3571 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Crackdown on ‘PH’ taxis coming —Philbert
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:14:21 PM »
Crackdown on ‘PH’ taxis coming —Philbert
Verne Burnett | 9:12 pm
Published: March 17th, 2009
Verne Burnett | 9:12 pm
Acting Police Commissioner James Philbert yesterday announced an immediate crackdown against “PH” taxis, the use of private cars to transport passengers. He announced the campaign while delivering the feature address at the annual meeting and luncheon of the T&T Chamber of Industry and Commerce, held yesterday at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad Hotel, 1 Dock Road, Port-of-Spain.

He said it would be part of a whole raft of measures aimed at enforcing all road traffic laws and a general zero-tolerance policy against lawbreaking.
To lusty applause from those attending the chamber meeting, Philbert said these were not small matters, but were “the low hanging fruits,” in the drive to return law and order to the country. Philbert said people were saying that without PH taxis some people would not get home. However, he said that “we have PH cars now and some people are not getting home.” He referred to yesterday’s murder/suicide in Freeport. Philbert said he wanted people who were transporting passengers to be qualified to do so.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

truetrini

Re: Crackdown on ‘PH’ taxis coming —Philbert
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »
Thank you Martin Joseph!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
Fellas... cut the partisan bullshit, allyuh too big and old fuh dis nonsense to continue for as long as it going on.

That said... good job Mr. Philbert.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »
About time.  Really don't understand why it was allowed to get out of hand in the first place.
We will see how it goes because PH taxis have become part of our public transportation network so transitioning is going to take a lot.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
About time.  Really don't understand why it was allowed to get out of hand in the first place.
We will see how it goes because PH taxis have become part of our public transportation network so transitioning is going to take a lot.
yeah it has been goin on for at least 30 years probably more
are they going to give these guys a grace period or stop now fa now
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:59:26 AM »
PPl broke! weh yuh want them tuh do teif. i find dat real sad! this spells more unemployed ppl in the country now.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:22 AM »
well unless yuh could flag down a Police car to take yuh home that is nonsense

when Manning decide to use the PTSC bus to bring he legions of CPEP and URP workers to Woodford Sq. to shower him with praises is dem same PH drivers that had to pick up the slack. Thousands of people were left stranded in City Gate.

Més que un club.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:32:16 AM »
PPl broke! weh yuh want them tuh do teif. i find dat real sad! this spells more unemployed ppl in the country now.

Not at all.

What's preventing these PH drivers from getting registered as 'H' car drivers?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I wish dem well but dat ship has sailed/the horse has bolted d paddock ...
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 01:09:22 PM »
How that will  cause more unemployment.All the PH man need to do is to register as a taxi driver. Long ago things were different. Now we have psycho drive taxi and praying on innocent people, particularly females. Now of we like this to happen to family or acquaintances. And don't for one moment think it cannot happen.

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »
How long has it been going on dcs?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »
PH are necessary.

They fulfill a need that the public transport system cannot provide adequately.

In terms of just getting a "H" licence...there are men in the licensing office they can pay $500 and get one.

How does the colour of one's picture on a permit help determine who is bandit and honest worker.

Funny enough quite a few respectable citizens who have good office jobs run PH on their way home from work, to be able to buy food for the family or put gas in the car. It is a means of income.

PH taxis can travel down certain streets in port of spain without restriction.

While I opt for an "H" car over a "P" car anyday...sometimes it is just unavoidable.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 02:08:32 PM »
i am not dcs but lemme venture. i can remember ph car running since i was very veyr young in de 80's an di am sure its been longer..so over 3 decades.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »
i am not dcs but lemme venture. i can remember ph car running since i was very veyr young in de 80's an di am sure its been longer..so over 3 decades.

So since Panday was in power and NAR before and PNM before dat...ok dcs..once yuh know de FACTS!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
sure back in de day they was pullin bull with donket cyart.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
sure back in de day they was pullin bull with donket cyart.

doh geh me wrong I know dey pulling bull for long time now...it jes seems dat DCS eh know dat...ah jes making sure

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:11 PM »

Not at all.

What's preventing these PH drivers from getting registered as 'H' car drivers?

I was just about to ask this same thing.
Are there pros and cons involved when owning a 'H' car as opposed to a 'PH' private car ?
Are their fees involved ?

I dunno, so ah asking.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Well if you driving an "H"  you have to get taxi  insurance. People don't realise if they get in an accident in a PH the driver is not covered for his passengers.
If i remember correctly is also a bit more money for an H permit and you have to get police certificate of good character..
Back in Trini...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
Listening to the debate today on a few talk shows, the cost of insurance is the primary reason why a lot of PH drivers don't convert to H. 

My 2 cents is that unless the government is going to introduce a real good public transport system to fill up the vacuum that will be left by the crackdown on PH, then they cyar touch them PH fellas yet....dis is a real catch 22 situation..

And referring to the horse having bolted...we have TH taxis now papa!!.......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
Commuters, legal taxi drivers have mixed views
Sascha Wilson | 9:00 pm
Published: March 18th, 2009
Sascha Wilson | 9:00 pm
Taxi drivers and commuters in south and north Trinidad expressed mixed views yesterday over acting Police Commissioner James Philbert’s suggestion to put a stop to “PH” taxis. Those who supported the move viewed the “PH” drivers as a menace to society, but others argued that they provided an important service to the travelling public.

Penal taxi driver Dennis Boodlal said there were certain routes where only PH drivers worked. “If they cannot get a taxi badge, they have to take care of their family some how.” However, a La Romaine taxi driver, calling himself “Determined,” was doubtful that anything would be done about the “PH” drivers. He said while some were genuine, he knew of several sex offenders working the La Romaine route.

Other taxi drives complained that the “PH” drivers parked their cars at the taxi stand and if they (taxi drivers) asked them to move they got hostile. Some commuters, especially women, were in favour of the “PH” taxis being removed. Angela Rambally, 50, said, “They should put a stop to it because it so dangerous.” Fitzroy King, however, said when passengers were “suffering” for transport at night, the “PH” drivers usually came to their rescue. See Pages A9 and A11

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 12:01:33 AM »
I was just about to ask this same thing.
Are there pros and cons involved when owning a 'H' car as opposed to a 'PH' private car ?
Are their fees involved ?

I dunno, so ah asking.

I'm sure there is... as some have suggested above.  However that's the cost of doing business, it's an industry and needs to be regulated.  Regulation might mean costs, but ultimately it's good for all as it imposes uniformity and standards and ultimately offers a sense of security to passengers... security that the person driving is less likely to be a closet criminal... and that should they be involved in an accident they will be covered.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 04:48:01 AM »
H cars can't go everywhere...like they not allowed to go drop people independence square.  Probably have a host of other things they supposed to do.

That T maxi thing is really going over the line.  A whole maxi full of people uninsured driven by somebody who doesn't see it fit to follow the rules for whatever reason.  I find that is bold faceness because it so easy to identify them.  They should be getting the heaviest fine based on the number of passengers they carrying illegally.  This one really start becoming prevalent within the last year I would say.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 06:21:57 AM »
'H' cars have several limitations.

One of the biggest is that only a driver with an H permit can drive it whether the car is for hire or not. That means no lending the car to friend, wife, son or daughter.

The car also has to pass inspection. The certificate of good character is needed too.

There would definitely be some attrition if all the 'P' drivers tried to go 'H'.

This is a good move I hope they follow through on it.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 06:53:41 AM »
I suppose the motion too. now when I home and have to travel, PH/H.. it doh matter to be. But I think what the authorities trying to do is really attack lawlessness. If it is a law, it should be enforced. talk done.

Doh gimmie no poor man trying to feed family bullshit...
Yuh want to feed yuh family, go and convert yuh car from P to H.
As someone said before, if you get in an accident. I hope yuh going to feed yuh passengers and their families when they cyah work.

PH car working small routes like- La Puerta or River estate and blue basin is one thing, but running town to diego or san juan. nah..... 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 07:32:59 AM »

As someone said before, if you get in an accident. I hope yuh going to feed yuh passengers and their families when they cyah work.

Benchwarmer doh be a narrow minded, short sighted cyahcachole nuh man.

PH cars are a necessary evil. It have some areas in Trinidad that jes doh have H car - plain and simple. THe Bus and Maxi service are inefficient at best and when panty stick in the water taxi engine, what is to happen tot he masses?

Alot of PH drivers were, at one time, up to no good and decided to turn there life around and get a semi-legit hustle. And if it wasn't for pullin bull dem fellas would ah be selling drugs, or worse yet, coming through yuh modda window looking to distress she.

I personally know a ah man who have 4 car on the road and renting a lil place for he, he wife and he chile. This man use to do all the wrong thing it had to do now he making $300 a day on each car - you work out the maths.

To get a taxi badge:
•21 and over
•certificate of character
•driving for 2 years

Now I admit, it have some youth men who pulling bull who just wild and out of control. Driving up the shoulder, loud music, ,double parking on the stand and have one set ah school gyal looking to carry dem by the river to brush. But it have plenty others who providing ah much needed service.

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 07:52:36 AM »

Benchwarmer doh be a narrow minded, short sighted cyahcachole nuh man.

PH cars are a necessary evil. It have some areas in Trinidad that jes doh have H car - plain and simple. THe Bus and Maxi service are inefficient at best and when panty stick in the water taxi engine, what is to happen tot he masses?

Alot of PH drivers were, at one time, up to no good and decided to turn there life around and get a semi-legit hustle. And if it wasn't for pullin bull dem fellas would ah be selling drugs, or worse yet, coming through yuh modda window looking to distress she.

I personally know a ah man who have 4 car on the road and renting a lil place for he, he wife and he chile. This man use to do all the wrong thing it had to do now he making $300 a day on each car - you work out the maths.

To get a taxi badge:
•21 and over
•certificate of character
•driving for 2 years

Now I admit, it have some youth men who pulling bull who just wild and out of control. Driving up the shoulder, loud music, ,double parking on the stand and have one set ah school gyal looking to carry dem by the river to brush. But it have plenty others who providing ah much needed service.

So if he is doing well, why not legitimize his business?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »

So if he is doing well, why not legitimize his business?

Because he was in jail and will not get a certificate of character.

Not to mention PH cars could go places that H cars can't.

Més que un club.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
While all these plans are afoot, all yuh padna drive up the bus route this morning flanked by security in he air conditioned car, avoiding any and all traffic lights on the way - jump on ah private jet to visit neighboring heads of state that coming here in a few days.

I am sure a phone call would've sufficed.

Meanwhile I am sure he pass commuters waiting on buses and maxis that are passing full and they had to resort to PH cars.

Small thing, is ah 2020 vision - there must be casualties.

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »
While all these plans are afoot, all yuh padna drive up the bus route this morning flanked by security in he air conditioned car, avoiding any and all traffic lights on the way - jump on ah private jet to visit neighboring heads of state that coming here in a few days.

I am sure a phone call would've sufficed.

Meanwhile I am sure he pass commuters waiting on buses and maxis that are passing full and they had to resort to PH cars.

Small thing, is ah 2020 vision - there must be casualties.

doh jes bad talk for de sake ah abd talk nah..where in de world yuh does see heads of stste riding on public transport or stick up in traffic?

1]; } ?>