March 28, 2024, 01:18:42 PM

Author Topic: I will not go to the BL stadium in Tarouba  (Read 19139 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I will not go to the BL stadium in Tarouba
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »

Tarouba stadium steel ‘condemned’
By Andre Bagoo Sunday, March 22 2009

THE STRUCTURAL steelwork on the $900 million Brian Lara Stadium project at Tarouba “is effectively condemned”, according to a report into the Udecott project prepared by Gerry McCaffrey, the construction expert hired by the Uff Commission of Inquiry whose future participation in the inquiry has now been cast in doubt.

According to McCaffrey’s initial report into the project dated February 20, the main contractor for the project, Hafeez Karamath Limited (HKL) ignored 300 “stop orders” for work on the project. McCaffrey concluded that issues of “quality control” and of the inability of Udecott to enforce the terms of the contract for the project have contributed to delays on the project.

“I am advised that HKL have received hundreds of stop-orders for defective work,” McCaffrey wrote. “For example, I am advised that HKL ignore stop-orders to the extent that, as at January 2009, the structural steelwork (which was progressed in the face of around 300 stop-orders) is effectively condemned.”

In his report, the British consultant of the firm Acutus, raised a series of serious questions over work done on the project and undertook to return to Trinidad and Tobago this month to further his investigations on behalf of the inquiry. But his future participation is now unlikely because of the failure of the Office of the Prime Minister to approve further funding for him to continue his work.

McCaffrey’s initial report, submitted to the inquiry in February, had also effectively cleared former Housing Minister Dr Keith Rowley of any wrongdoing in relation to the Cleaver Heights project. He had concluded that there was “smoke” surrounding the project but this was “unlikely to be masking mischief.”

The Actus expert further noted that the steel was tested and two testing companies gave the steelwork failure rates averaging 78.5 percent.

“Two separate independent testing companies tested a significant representative proportion of the welds. The average failure rate of both independent tests is 78.5 percent.” McCaffrey expressed a desire to examine this aspect of the project in further detail, but said he was unable to.

“I have asked Udecott for a position statement on this issue. I understand zero roof welds have been inspected/tested. Access was not made available,” he noted in his preliminary report. McCaffrey also noted a series of findings into the structural works on the project contained in a separate report which was prepared by structural engineer Arun Buch. The Buch report, according to McCaffrey, contained allegations that there were problems of “mistakes in design assumptions”, “material incompleteness of design” and an issue of “inexperienced designers proposing impractical construction details having undue complexity”.

Udecott lawyers in the inquiry have argued that the Buch report is subject to legal privilege. While the report was submitted to the inquiry, Udecott asked that it be treated in a strictly confidential manner. In a letter dated March 2, attorneys for Udecott asked the commissioners to confirm that “copies of the Arun Buch (report) have not been disseminated beyond the custody and control of the commissioners” and to ensure that “no copies remain in the possession of the commission”.

But in addition to noting issues raised by the Buch report, McCaffrey went on to list a series of problems that may account for delays in the completion of the stadium which was hoped for completion in March 2007. These included: (a) insufficient design resource base on the site because the designers worked in a different country; (b) disagreement in design interface arising from contractors proposals, (c) replacement of project managers Turner Alpha with Genivar in July 2008, (d) insufficient resources being applied to available workforces, (e) failure of designers to be sufficiently responsive in addressing site queries, (f) ground conditions differing from that assumed. McCaffrey complained that Udecott files for the project were in disarray at the time of his initial investigation in January and that this stymied his examination of several issues, including the payment of advances to HKL. To date, HKL have been paid $410 million, according to McCaffrey.

“The degree of disarray within those files led to an extensive examination of the content and many questions cannot be answered at the moment. That will be taken forward during my next visit to Trinidad in the first week of March…I have already sent numerous queries to Udecott and it is my expectation that my next visit will be used to address outstanding questions face to face.”

But while the second phase of inquiry hearings is due to start tomorrow at the Winsure Building, Port-of-Spain, McCaffrey’s participation has been thrown into doubt because of a lack of funding, according to an email sent out to all of the parties in the proceedings by inquiry chairman Prof John Uff.

“Attorneys for Udecott have raised a number of questions concerning the future role of Acutus and Mr McCaffrey,” Uff said in the email sent on Friday.

“Mr McCaffrey’s report was served on February 23. It was intended that he should produce further reports. His participation in the inquiry was, however, subject to approval of funding which is no longer available. It is therefore unlikely that Mr McCaffrey will participate further in the enquiry,” he said. “While it was intended that further information would be obtained on Mr McCaffrey’s further visit, which did not take place, this should not prevent Udecott from providing the Commissioners with the further information identified in the report.”

This is bad normally 3 % is the max acceptable limit for weld failures and even then the failed welds are re-done and re-tested.
I don't know where these welds are  but even simple members could cause serious injury if they fail.
For instance whilst walking down some stairs you rely on handrails to keep balance and the handrail snaps then you could have a serious tumble, but the report talks about roof members not being tested.

Don't put yourself at risk avoid this stadium if it is ever completed.

And in how could the GOTT not continue to pay the investigator with his job half done?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:39:57 PM by fishs »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: I will not go to the BL stadium in Tarouba
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »
And in how could the GOTT not continue to pay the investigator with his job half done?

What you mean?  The man is not playing ball...he only criticizing and finding fault.
Not once did he talk about all the great things the PNM have done in the Tarouba stadium

Nah seriously....if we ever take anything seriously.  Is this not the trend?
Watch tomorrow or soon after somebody will come out and say the Investigator have an axe to grind and his report is patently false. 

Imagine having something like this named after you.  He must be wish they would offer to name something else after him but he can't say dat   :-[

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:53:52 AM »
Please dont tell me we are going to end up with a defective

BIG WHITE ELEPHANT...... :o of a stadium......I wonder if this is going to turn out like Biche ???
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:42:53 AM »
That is totally unacceptable. Were they prepared to put people's lives at risk ? The steel can't make the grade after TTD$ 900 m. This is no different to the airport made of gypsum and low grade tarmac.

Nah man , we hadda buss some throats for this. This one hurts personally.

At least it coming to light now. I hope charges follow soon.   

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »
78.5 % failure when 3 % is acceptable.  It seems like they were prepared to let people die in that stadium.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:03:55 AM »
what a waste of money idiots
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »

BIG WHITE ELEPHANT...... :o of a stadium......I wonder if this is going to turn out like Biche ???

Aaaaaand, a much bigger scandal than the Airport.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »
Imagine having something like this named after you.  He must be wish they would offer to name something else after him but he can't say dat   :-[
He go lime in his Pavillion at the QPCC ;)
at first thought I was wondering why the QPCC did that but obviously in hindsight it was a brilliant move
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:30:05 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
at first thought I was wondering why the QPCC did that but obviously in hindsight it was a brilliant move

what go happen is Lara ask for his name to be removed from that stadium? PNM  die hards go say he is UNC
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »

what go happen is Lara ask for his name to be removed from that stadium? PNM  die hards go say he is UNC
:devil:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:53:57 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
Isn't this lovely.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »

This is a travesty it fooking criminal, this is Calder Hart and his cronies at it full tilt.
Hafeez Karamath start off as a lil piss in tail contractor in Aranguez an UNC give him ah bligh , he build salt water treatment plant for them for big big money , an yuh know what ? Yuh could google a plant and just put one down complete no problem , in other words any of us could build one.
Yuh give him this project that was fast track . On what basis ?
I went into the man fab shop in 1999 an laugh.
This is big big corruption an TT ah know yuh goh be right up mih ass with this , but this is UNC corruption and PNM going one better.
Yuh remember Ish was the man that get the 10million contract to build the bridge to nowhere re the Caroni racing complex ?
An is the same Ish that in corruption charges now under the UNC regime ?
Well brother this seems like ah reverse situation.

Calder Hart should be pelt in ah TT jail for the rest of he life and be licking dougla tottee until he start tuh like it

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »

Aaaaaand, a much bigger scandal than the Airport.

hhmmm boy at least we have an "airport" or at least somthing resembling an airport.....that thing down in Toruba looking de same way every time yuh drive by and there is no end in sight...

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
anybody has a snap of it ?
before ah open meh mouth ah want ah visual.
right now is media bringing this to dey table. and at dey moment media loosing points every blasted day in my books. >:(

so until ah see something, ah go juss read.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »
This is bad normally 3 % is the max acceptable limit for weld failures and even then the failed welds are re-done and re-tested.
I don't know where these welds are  but even simple members could cause serious injury if they fail.
For instance whilst walking down some stairs you rely on handrails to keep balance and the handrail snaps then you could have a serious tumble, but the report talks about roof members not being tested.

Don't put yourself at risk avoid this stadium if it is ever completed.

good talk dey Fishs
it ent really matter where the welds are right now cause if they that sloppy and negligent what else they hiding or underperformed
78.5% of the welds not being good enough is a damning statement...and they ent even inspect the roof yet?..a strong breeze could throw that down
and dey building for ah tsunami?..steups
dem like they looking for mass murder
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
right now is media bringing this to dey table. and at dey moment media loosing points every blasted day in my books. >:(

Cana, de structure on de site right now...is just de steel frame.....nutten else....and it looks de same way every time yuh drive past....I not sure I could get a pic for you cuz I mostly pass by on mih way to Point for work and I'm not driving most of the times....but girl trust me when ah say de kinda money dey say spent so far cyar account for what is on site....

Anywho, the commission of enquiry starting back tomorrow so more might come out soon.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »

I will see if I can get one of the family to snap it for ya. moms and siblings live in south but granma live in arima so they always passing there.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
D rate dey goin none ah oui go b goin 2 dat stadium.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
Ladies I would appreciate, because what I just read in this thread, I honestly can't believe it.

$900 million...nah ah cyah believe it. Ah cyah believe they spending so much for a STADIUM.. What dey fack TnT need 5 stadiums for ???  To throw FETES and when Michael Bolton come down ? Is only every 3.5 years its used for football matches - ie dey National Stadium.  Who using Dwight own in Tobago ? Who using Jean own nex' to the National Stadium, Calypso Reveue ??? When last it had a International Netball competition in TnT ???

Ramjohn own, during the last year, how many matches were played there ??? There are more activities at Eddie Hart Grounds and WASA grounds compared to all 5 stadiums put together... Ah shit man, 900 millions ?

Set ah facking jokers oui

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »
OK TELL ME WHAT SURVEY THEY HAVE TO SHOW THAT THEY NEEDED ANOTHER CRICKET STADIUM IN THE FIRST PLACE?   Is QP oval sooooo busy everyday that they can't fit cricket into their stadium somedays? One big loud steups.  in a country with only about 2 million and hardly any international cricket going on few times a year. Blow up that whole shit and turn into something people will use 365 days a year. PUBLIC HOUSING.  This gov't lucky im not a lawyer and is living in Trinidad because i will demand to see who have a survey and figured we need another cricket stadium, and make the people who ok'ed this pay.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
OK TELL ME WHAT SURVEY THEY HAVE TO SHOW THAT THEY NEEDED ANOTHER CRICKET STADIUM IN THE FIRST PLACE?   Is QP oval sooooo busy everyday that they can't fit cricket into their stadium somedays? One big loud steups.  in a country with only about 2 million and hardly any international cricket going on few times a year. Blow up that whole shit and turn into something people will use 365 days a year. PUBLIC HOUSING.  This gov't lucky im not a lawyer and is living in Trinidad because i will demand to see who have a survey and fured we need another cricket stadium, and make the people who ok'ed this pay.

Take it easy bro , is not really a stadium just for cricket, in fact the idea was good.
It was to be a proper academy , full amenities so that every sport could use . The main ground however is for cricket.
In priciple it would be an excellent facility and because it is goverment it would mean full time paid coachs for all sports.
But a good idea and effort turning out to be the biggest corruption and waste of money this country has ever seen.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »
check what wiki have to say bout it

"Tarouba Complex
The Brian Lara Stadium is part of a large complex situated on 180 acres (0.73 km2) of farm lands in Tarouba, Trinidad with a cost of $850 million TT dollars. It was designed by Hellmuth, Obalat & Kassabum, a US architectural firm. The complex will consist of: An aquatic centre. Olympic-sized cycling velodrome. Indoor gymnasium. School for training of athletes. A large car park, new roads and other infrastructural works. The Brian Lara stadium and cricket academy.

This stadium will serve as a training facility for cricket players. It will feature four indoor cricket training pitches with computerised biometric technology to measure an athlete’s performance, including two full-length run-up pitches for fast-bowlers. Patrons at the stadium will have an unhindered view from every area of the facility, including the concessionaires area. It also has areas specifically designed for the print, radio and television media, respectively. The facility may also see the construction of a hotel in the future."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:52:45 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »

"Patrons at the stadium will have an unhindered view from every area of the facility, including the concessionaires area. "

I eh know if the view worth my life, nuh!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 03:13:20 PM »

"Tarouba Complex
The Brian Lara Stadium is part of a large complex situated on 180 acres (0.73 km2) of farm lands in Tarouba, Trinidad with a cost of $850 million TT dollars. It was designed by Hellmuth, Obalat & Kassabum, a US architectural firm. The complex will consist of: An aquatic centre. Olympic-sized cycling velodrome. Indoor gymnasium. School for training of athletes. A large car park, new roads and other infrastructural works. The Brian Lara stadium and cricket academy.

This stadium will serve as a training facility for cricket players. It will feature four indoor cricket training pitches with computerised biometric technology to measure an athlete’s performance, including two full-length run-up pitches for fast-bowlers. Patrons at the stadium will have an unhindered view from every area of the facility, including the concessionaires area. It also has areas specifically designed for the print, radio and television media, respectively. The facility may also see the construction of a hotel in the future."

they aint even finish the cricket stadium yet stueps
Youtube Channel

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 07:08:36 AM »
Imagine de Brian Lara Stadium costing more to build that the Airport.

And they say Panday was corrupted when Manning making Panday payday look like chicken feed.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »

And they say Panday was corrupted when Manning making Panday payday look like chicken feed.

dese go end up like ancient mayan ruins,,,,bess dey start from now advertising it as such to the cricket tourists.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 08:05:38 AM »

dese go end up like ancient mayan ruins,,,,bess dey start from now advertising it as such to the cricket tourists.

lol  :D
Youtube Channel

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
McCaffrey and Co. rob Manning bad :devil:. who hired this man. what was his firms track record on projects?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
Looks like another place to throw car show and fete match football.

And my guess is, it will fall victim to the usual lack of maintenance as with every other government building.

Més que un club.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

Panday is yuh fukkin woman or what horse?  Everything fuh you is Panday better than Manning.

1]; } ?>