April 29, 2024, 05:35:44 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad and Tobago´s defence crisis  (Read 6525 times)

Offline future socawarrior

• Jr. Warrior
  • I can accept failure but i cant accept not trying
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago´s defence crisis
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »
I think that the coach should give James and Marshall a look at a wing-back position. I know thats not their natural position,but its worth a try...

I spoke to a member of the WC2006 team and he said that James was not all that. But then again, he played defence and didn´t even get in the WC.

I played with Marshall for years now, and his best attribute is his ability to learn quick and adapt. He is good in the air and at his feet and just makes a few mistakes that every rookie makes. But i think he is the way to go.

Makan Hislop i think has been given enough chances. He is just another blade cutter. He is good in the air but lacks the ability with the ball at his feet. Good prospect but, he cost as the first goal in El Salvador. He made a cardinal offence as a defender and fouled the guy on top the box, when all he had to do was cover him without tackling...

Dennis Lawrence is picked only because... He made the same mistake Hislop made. And cost us the game.  Not stern John.. but him. a wild tackle on top the box. Veteran defender with veteran legs. When you are not up to speed you use your mental some more. he did not.

Brent Sancho.. I played with him over the xmas holidays and he looked sharp. He is more versatile to playing the wing-back role. Plays with pure heart. Not the best defenders in terms of reading the game but makes up with his pride.

Avery John... did hear from him in a while. would have liked to see him, but looks like its too late.

Kenyo Thomas... Strong built, tough defender but is a labourer (no skill). In this day and age, you dont see defeners slide tackling and "pelting their frame". Look at Vidic and Ferdinand, you dont see them on the floor sliding. They read the game before a play happens and as such avoids the sliding. Thomas is over-wight and will never make abroad with his size. He is slow but I guess he is on the team because their is no one else.

I think that the young defenders should be included into the training squad to avoid a total collapse come 2014...

I am a defender in the US college system and i also think that players here should get a look at and play together because in a couple years time he will be representing the country and i want to be ready!!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:31:17 PM by future socawarrior »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad defence crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
Future socawarrior.....let me stop you in your tracks one time...

There is no team on FIFA's roster that goes by the name Trinidad....you get mih drift....fix de title ah yuh thread one time...doh stick...

>:( >:(  :waiting: :waiting:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad and Tobago´s defence crisis
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
thanks.. for the correction

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »

There is no team on FIFA's roster that goes by the name Trinidad....you get mih drift....fix de title ah yuh thread one time...doh stick...

Gyal you come and gangsta de man jus so? Yuh coulda give de man saluations and ting first....
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
good post futures..

i would have liked to see Seon Power realize his potential. Despite the criticism he has come in for (justified), he has more raw tools than any defender in our local game right now. Athleticism, speed, agility, aggression... He just need to grow a brain.

Andrei Pacheco is also very good technically with the ball at his feet.. I think he converted from midfield. I would like to see him develop into the left back role.

Players like Robert Primus, Julius James and Yohance Marshall need to be exposed at the National team level sooner than later.. We can't be relying on the same old horses to carry us through this campaign. That go come back and bite us watch and see.. I almost shuddering when I think about what the pacy US team could do to our old rearguard.

I respect what Sancho and Dog bring to a central defence but at this stage we shouldnt have to be running back to these men.

We need youths knocking on the door and we need to give them the opportunities when we can.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »
 :-\ man get rough up first thing yes  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »

You are most welcome..... :beermug:

Gyal you come and gangsta de man jus so? Yuh coulda give de man saluations and ting first....

Salutations goh come now....welcome to the forum future soca warrior....

pssstt...Burbon ah bet he eh make dat mistake again....  :devil:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »

Ah should start to treat you so with how you does spell my name. De first few times yuh say yuh was sleepy...buh..now it becomin a habit......
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »
good post futures..

i would have liked to see Seon Power realize his potential. Despite the criticism he has come in for (justified), he has more raw tools than any defender in our local game right now. Athleticism, speed, agility, aggression... He just need to grow a brain.

Andrei Pacheco is also very good technically with the ball at his feet.. I think he converted from midfield. I would like to see him develop into the left back role.

Players like Robert Primus, Julius James and Yohance Marshall need to be exposed at the National team level sooner than later.. We can't be relying on the same old horses to carry us through this campaign. That go come back and bite us watch and see.. I almost shuddering when I think about what the pacy US team could do to our old rearguard.

I respect what Sancho and Dog bring to a central defence but at this stage we shouldnt have to be running back to these men.

We need youths knocking on the door and we need to give them the opportunities when we can.

Yeh buh dis is real sense here. Especially since we hadda rely on Dog and Lawrence....two players who were not noted for speed 4 years ago...and we still feel we need to rely on dem. Experience to youth only given with opportunity...and by them getting somebody to mentor dem. Defense eh something that yuh have the luxury to tinker with that much...buh yuh hadda do something. Dis is why i doh understand why men does waste down edwards. Yes he prone to mistakes...buh he go improve. Lawrence was getting cuss left right and middle when he now came on de scene...now men wailing and knashing their teeth if he cyar play. We cant be relying on dem 2006 players.....de earlier we realise that the better.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »

Ah should start to treat you so with how you does spell my name. De first few times yuh say yuh was sleepy...buh..now it becomin a habit......

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Apologies.....Sir Bourbon.... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
thanks for the mini report/scoop

We just like to f**k up ourselves my boy.... We have James who can play both RB and LB ... Nigel Daniel can play both...Cyd,Seon Power,Elton John,R.Primus,Telesford at RB...Avery,Pacheco,A. Adams and Noel Williams and G.Wolfe at LB not to mention A.Farrier... Sancho and Spann can be used as RB's...and C.Edwards if need be

but yet...who is the RB and LB now?.. Anthony Wolfe and Akeil Edwards..the latter being the most confusing pick when we have others...

and as you said Marshall is a quick learner...well tell yuh boy start to play RB or LB now

Is just madness this coach on

For Honduras and USA
His defence:
Wolfe,Makan,Lawrence,Thomas,A.Edwards

vs

My defence:
Cyd Gray(he as fit as any of the other defenders mentioned above)
J.James
D.Lawrence
K.Thomas
A.John/A.Pacheco
N.Daniel

Only Avery is a doubt cuz I dont know if he playing... but Cyd..Danny and Pacheco in pre season with their clubs
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:50:05 PM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
Meh name spell wrong to....

Osei Telesford is another guy i played with and I think he has really stepped up. I have no clue how he has been left out. This guy is decent with his feet and needs experience to bolster his game and take it to another level. He is a tough defender but yet reads the game well.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »
Meh name spell wrong to....

Eh eh....now yuh nit picking....alright, alright

future socawarrior...there we even now??.... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
Nice post ,I like you welcome .I liked  your scouting reports on the players ,I dont see enough of that on here .especially with young players .You should do more .
What about your partner Javed  ;D would like a miny scoop if that is not a conflict ,if it is no scenes . :beermug:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:57 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Apologies.....Sir Bourbon.... ;D

Apologies accepted Miss Brownsugar.

Anyhow back to the topic. We also have Abu Bakr in the mix too....last i heard he was goin Swansea on trial ent? Wha happened after that?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
good post futures..

Yeh buh dis is real sense here. Especially since we hadda rely on Dog and Lawrence....two players who were not noted for speed 4 years ago...and we still feel we need to rely on dem. Experience to youth only given with opportunity...and by them getting somebody to mentor dem. Defense eh something that yuh have the luxury to tinker with that much...buh yuh hadda do something. Dis is why i doh understand why men does waste down edwards. Yes he prone to mistakes...buh he go improve. Lawrence was getting cuss left right and middle when he now came on de scene...now men wailing and knashing their teeth if he cyar play. We cant be relying on dem 2006 players.....de earlier we realise that the better.

Some of us have been saying that for months and our management and coaching staff keep going back to 35, 38 and 40 year old players who should be coaching and inspiring not playing.  The reason Yorke is not playing for Sunderland is because he is not that good anymore.  The reason Latapy was a player-coach and rarely played is because he is over the hill. The reason Stern John is not playing much and hardly scoring is because he has lost his skill, speed, and abilities.  The core of our senior players should be:  Carlos Edwards, Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland, Clayton Ince, and probably Cornell Glen and Chris Birchall.  We should be calling on Hyland, Gay, Keon Daniel, and many of the already named younger players and Under-20 core to lead us to SA 2010 and onwards.  Consistent use of the younger players is necessary to give them experience and confidence.  When will we ever learn!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
Nice post ,I like you welcome .I liked  your scouting reports on the players ,I dont see enough of that on here .especially with young players .You should do more .
What about your partner Javed  ;D would like a miny scoop if that is not a conflict ,if it is no scenes . :beermug:

Javed is a midfielder turn defender... He is respected in the BIG EAST and i thought he should have made one of the all-stár teams this year. He is great with the ball on his feet and attacks alot from the 2 games i saw him play last season. He takes USF´s deep free kicks and whips them in with pace into the box. He plays at the left-back position. Does not look physically strong enough for international levels but he will be a pro when he graduates and will be a great attackinng asset on either the left or right wing  

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
Abu Bakr is another good young prospect. I played with him in SSFL and has always been a professional. He reads the game well and has a nice height for defending head balls. He can play with the ball at his feet but he is not reafy for the international game as well. I think he should have been called into training with the team. But i don´t know how that would´ve affected his trials.

The use of Wolfe at defence is not soley a negative move... Alot of good wing-backs have been midfielders before. The move may sound absurd, but its left to be seen. Sergio Ramos, Cicinho, Maicon all played as midfilders. Wolfe probably played good in practice.. the public never knows what happens in the training sessions.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Abu Bakr is another good young prospect. I played with him in SSFL and has always been a professional. He reads the game well and has a nice height for defending head balls. He can play with the ball at his feet but he is not reafy for the international game as well. I think he should have been called into training with the team. But i don´t know how that would´ve affected his trials.

The use of Wolfe at defence is not soley a negative move... Alot of good wing-backs have been midfielders before. The move may sound absurd, but its left to be seen. Sergio Ramos, Cicinho, Maicon all played as midfilders. Wolfe probably played good in practice.. the public never knows what happens in the training sessions.

Welcome  ..Very well said, thanks for the reports, keep them coming  :applause: :applause:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »

Excellent stuff.  And insightful...fuh some here anyway.

Respeck.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
future...respect
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 05:23:28 AM »
Future SW - your issue is a recurring theme here, youth or veterans.

In an ideal world, we would do a lot of what u and Storeboy suggest...Playing all these yutes, but playing big man ball at CONCACAF World Cup qualifying level is a totally different matter.
With all due respect to the national U20's, if you use the core of that team in this WC campaign, we will not get a single point and will concede close to 30 goals. there might be a couple players who could add something to the present team, in a limited capacity, but lets face it, nobody on that team could be regarded anywhere close to Dwight Yorke in 1989, not even perhaps Jerren Nixon or Anthony Sheerwood.
Some of the college guys u named are decent ballers too, but again, this is big man thing.
These current defenders train full time at a different intensity...College guys train alot of time at a lower intensity. When last did we have a player stand out at national level who came from the college ranks? Rahim? And even he did not fulfil what people expected from him.
To be honest, Julius James has never really impressed me at national level. He was made to look extremely ordinary in the caribbean Cup last time around. If I were to choose one youthful defender to perhaps give a run out it would be Akeem Adams. We all saw what jamaica did to him in Kingston last year in the first half. It destroyed his international senior career (hopefully temporarily)...But he was a stalwart in the U20 qualifying campaign, maybe his confidence is back, as well as his form.

We stick with a lot of the old folks, but thruth be told, they are the best option we have RIGHT NOW.
You want to play and expose your yutes, but you also want to succeed. you cant be permanently rebuilding, like the West Indies cricket team.

this also highlights a big shortcoming for our national setup as well, as we should be having consistent camps in the US for our college talent with national scouts...
the trials of being a T&T supporter..
My advice to any US or UK based college kid wanting to make a breakthrough to the senior team - use Shaka Hislop or Scott Sealyas a role model. Look at how their career progressed in phases...

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 05:49:19 AM »
:-\ man get rough up first thing yes  :devil:

hahahah. sad :rotfl: :beermug: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »
interesting post, lookin forward to reading more from you.

your insight on Telesford is something that I agree with quite a bit.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »
Men talking bout defence crisis..... but right now none ah we strikers scoring goals !!!!!!
All them fellas gone cold.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 08:10:04 AM »
Future SW - your issue is a recurring theme here, youth or veterans.

In an ideal world, we would do a lot of what u and Storeboy suggest...Playing all these yutes, but playing big man ball at CONCACAF World Cup qualifying level is a totally different matter.
With all due respect to the national U20's, if you use the core of that team in this WC campaign, we will not get a single point and will concede close to 30 goals. there might be a couple players who could add something to the present team, in a limited capacity, but lets face it, nobody on that team could be regarded anywhere close to Dwight Yorke in 1989, not even perhaps Jerren Nixon or Anthony Sheerwood.
Some of the college guys u named are decent ballers too, but again, this is big man thing.
These current defenders train full time at a different intensity...College guys train alot of time at a lower intensity. When last did we have a player stand out at national level who came from the college ranks? Rahim? And even he did not fulfil what people expected from him.
To be honest, Julius James has never really impressed me at national level. He was made to look extremely ordinary in the caribbean Cup last time around. If I were to choose one youthful defender to perhaps give a run out it would be Akeem Adams. We all saw what jamaica did to him in Kingston last year in the first half. It destroyed his international senior career (hopefully temporarily)...But he was a stalwart in the U20 qualifying campaign, maybe his confidence is back, as well as his form.

We stick with a lot of the old folks, but thruth be told, they are the best option we have RIGHT NOW.
You want to play and expose your yutes, but you also want to succeed. you cant be permanently rebuilding, like the West Indies cricket team.

this also highlights a big shortcoming for our national setup as well, as we should be having consistent camps in the US for our college talent with national scouts...
the trials of being a T&T supporter..
My advice to any US or UK based college kid wanting to make a breakthrough to the senior team - use Shaka Hislop or Scott Sealyas a role model. Look at how their career progressed in phases...

I doh really get diss "big man" ole people nonsense dat man does be does be on about nah, is dis same "big man talkin" mentalityole man phukkin d scene again dat have dis country in d state it in, no thoughts of succession. It is said dat u doh have a future if your forget your past, but in dis case Is d past refusin to make way for the future.........so we effectively at a stand still.............sigh
I pity the fool....

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
nobody seems to complain when Cafu was playing ... hmm interesting how yawl bring down out players.. youth alone cant win.. we need the Experience also. Dwight Fitter than all dem youth put together... Even Carlos said d man would be missed..

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »
nobody seems to complain when Cafu was playing ... hmm interesting how yawl bring down out players.. youth alone cant win.. we need the Experience also. Dwight Fitter than all dem youth put together... Even Carlos said d man would be missed..

I doh think is so much his physical attributes that Carlos was saying will be missed.  It's the intangibles that he brings, the veteran poise and ability to read and control the game.  Dwight was bun jus like de rest ah de team in ES so doh talk da fitter shit.  daiz ah fallacy.  Cafu is one man, Yorke, Latas, Lawrence, Dog, and Stern are all at that point where most footballers usually retire from international duty.  Doh get me wrong I still think they all can help in some way, but we program in shambles if we have to consistently rely on these players to carry us.  I see thread after thread cryin dong Edwards and Hislop but these yutes need the consistent caps and practices in the set up to continue to grow.  Personaly I doh see what so bad bout Edwards but me eh want to get into no internet argument with no armchair coach who only experience (in most cases) is watchin football on TV.

Future SW great insight, lookin forward to reading more of you assessments.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »
It's worth noting that the U20s  defenders are all competent with the ball at their feet. If they continue to grow at this pace they will be great assets to us in the future.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »

I doh think is so much his physical attributes that Carlos was saying will be missed.  It's the intangibles that he brings, the veteran poise and ability to read and control the game.  Dwight was bun jus like de rest ah de team in ES so doh talk da fitter shit.  daiz ah fallacy.  Cafu is one man, Yorke, Latas, Lawrence, Dog, and Stern are all at that point where most footballers usually retire from international duty.  Doh get me wrong I still think they all can help in some way, but we program in shambles if we have to consistently rely on these players to carry us.  I see thread after thread cryin dong Edwards and Hislop but these yutes need the consistent caps and practices in the set up to continue to grow.  Personaly I doh see what so bad bout Edwards but me eh want to get into no internet argument with no armchair coach who only experience (in most cases) is watchin football on TV.

Future SW great insight, lookin forward to reading more of you assessments.
     :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :beermug:

1]; } ?>