March 29, 2024, 03:10:58 AM

Author Topic: Golf lessons  (Read 1851 times)

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Golf lessons
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
yes I know most people think that gold is for old men and can't really be a sport because there's no effort in standing in one place and hitting a ball. well last year I went to the Millenium Lakes Golf course FREE clinics that were 4 weekly lessons in this game.
what a surprise to me! this is a personally challenging sport. the competition may be on the golf course, but it is really a matter of bettering one's own score every time. On every occasion that you pick up the golf club you don't really know where or how far the ball will go. Yes you can aim and you can be technically correct, but still the ball can veer left, right, or the wind can be in control, or the ground may be wet and the ball will not bounce, or you can miss!!
it all comes down to practice..yup- sounds like all other sports, right?
then this is played in 'fresh air' a big plus.
next plus for me is that I can practice in a 'safe' environment. When I went up to take part in these clinics last year, I was recovering from my close encounter with a car thief- who madeoff with my vehicle... this was my attempt to get out of the house without going out into the 'real world' -
I have since continued with the lessons- and even tho' I'm not good yet, that's because I haven't practised enough- of course!! duh!
it isn't really expensive because I haven't bought any clubs. The golf club lends a club for practice and we get 50 balls (1 bucket) to practice with for $30 (that's TT) that lasts up to an hour, based on how fast you hit.
not bad, eh?
anyway golf may be for old people- but I am enjoying it so far- and I am definitely NOT old ;D

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Golf lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:31 PM »
I didn't know people still viewed this as an old people's sport. Many young people play golf in T&T and I figured it was more viewed as a priviledged or upper class sport. I've promised myself that I will try it though and I know I am not old.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »
I never played myself but several people have told me that it is the most addictive sport they ever played.  Some of that is obviously personal preference but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that you always have your personal best to compete with and don't necessarily have to rely on other players to give you a good game.

one avid golfer I know was telling me how he hate playing: he say he almost always frustrated with his play and does be in bad mood after.  He say that every time he on the verge of quitting he does have the best game of his life.   

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:27:20 PM »
I never played myself but several people have told me that it is the most addictive sport they ever played.  Some of that is obviously personal preference but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that you always have your personal best to compete with and don't necessarily have to rely on other players to give you a good game.

one avid golfer I know was telling me how he hate playing: he say he almost always frustrated with his play and does be in bad mood after.  He say that every time he on the verge of quitting he does have the best game of his life.   

He related to Carl Hooper or what?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:13:17 AM »
I'm sorry dat he will have no clue who carl hooper is.  He woulda appreciate the comment.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
well to continue my small story- I used to watch golf on the cable now and then and I would see these big players digging out of the sand box aka sand trap aka bunker and only sand flying around. thinking to myself "how come thay can't hit the ball???"
eh heh ! well now I learn that the object is to hit the sand and scoop it up under the ball so it will take the ball on flight out of the bunker. ha! well now after learning to hit the ball, we now have to learn how NOT to hit the ball. sure is fun tho" ;D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
aye Ann,
dat blue is all water?

I definitely ent golfin there :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »
yeah, lots of water...last time we had flood the river came down and trees, aligators, even a cow  :ocame down with the water...
where did you get that pic? is that google earth?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »
yeah, lots of water...last time we had flood the river came down and trees, aligators, even a cow  :ocame down with the water...
where did you get that pic? is that google earth?
did a google search for  millennium lakes
check the website here
http://www.trinidadandtobagogolfassociation.com/millennium.htm
check here
http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/trinidadtobago/millennium-lakes-golf-country-club.html#maps (<--click on map)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:18:02 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>