April 27, 2024, 10:52:26 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne faces axe after slump in form  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne faces axe after slump in form
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:19:24 AM »
Kenwyne faces axe after slump in form
By Graeme Anderson (Shields Gazette)

SUNDERLAND will consider taking Kenwyne Jones out of the firing line as the striker's slump in form continues.

The Trinidad & Tobago international produced a slightly improved performance against Manchester City on Sunday compared to his showing against Wigan Athletic a week previously.

But it is clear that he is nothing like the player he was last season when fully fit, or the player who returned from his cruciate ligament injury back in November.

After an initial burst of scoring five goals in his first six appearances back, the goals have increasingly dried up.

He has failed to score in his last five games, but equally as worrying is his struggle to cause havoc in away defences in the way he did last season, creating gaps for team-mates to exploit.

Ricky Sbragia admitted: "Kenwyne is tired. He's come back well for us and he's got us goals, but he's had a lot of games now, and maybe it is beginning to show.

"He's having to nurse himself along, and we aren't seeing him on the training pitch until Friday."

On top of that, Jones is off to the Caribbean this week to take part in T&T's Concacaf final qualifying game against Honduras.

And Sbragia says he will monitor how Jones and his international team-mates Carlos Edwards and Dwight Yorke shape up on their return.

The Sunderland manager said: "I've got a nucleus of 12 players for the next couple of weeks, and we'll work and train them, give them some time off, and then look to see how everyone is next Thursday.

"West Ham will be doing the same with their players, they'll be in the same boat we are.

"But we will look at the players and see how they come through things, and if we decide that some players need a rest, then we'll look to give it to them if possible."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne faces axe after slump in form
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »
Perfect...Kenwyne out of form, Scotty goals slow down and Stern...well eh eternally in limbo. Just in time for when we need them.

Hopefully the home weather and working with Latas will get these three back on top their games and ravaging defences again.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »
Jones playing like that a long time now
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:26:08 AM »
Is sunderland blind or what?   The man does get double team all the time lately.  Who else on the team get marked by two defenders?  . 

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:31 AM »
scotty been firin from time(only for club sadly) so who knows ah dip in club form might be ah raise in national performance... :devil:

p.s. when come to tnt i dont really pay much attention to current club form wen it comes to de strikers becoz wen certain men like KJ n Scotland on form for their club u dnt really see it at national level
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
If I was dem, ah switch him for "Van Persie", big player, plenty nice touch,scores goals, assist and see how he go raise Sunderland to another level..an let the gunners "suffer" with KJ.

add: dey should throw een Carlos & Yorke 2, juss to make the deal even...bet doh go be rrreeeaaall sorry to go, with all dis sell talk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:06:53 AM by maxg »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
Is sunderland blind or what?   The man does get double team all the time lately.  Who else on the team get marked by two defenders?  . 

I don't know what wrong with dem.  However, KJ need to finish every half chance.  He's missed some sitters.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
If I was dem, ah switch him for "Van Persie", big player, plenty nice touch,scores goals, assist and see how he go raise Sunderland to another level..an let the gunners "suffer" with KJ.

add: dey should throw een Carlos & Yorke 2, juss to make the deal even...bet doh go be rrreeeaaall sorry to go, with all dis sell talk

Thank god you not them then as tough as it's been for KJ i still want the best for him so am glad to see sunderland sticking by his side but in more fairness i care more for our players than Sunderland i don't know bout you?...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
Whenever I see Kenwyne play I struggle to see what the hype about him is about.  I struggle to picture him becoming a world class prolific goal scorer.  Kenwyne comes off as being an above-average athelete who can function well in a role that is built for him (e.g. a big man with an aerial presence who can poach from close range).  Kenwyne has scored some goals at the premiership level- but not that many....and not many of his goals have really been great finishes.  

If Kenwyne ever gets signed by a big team, it'd be the result of good marketing/hype...and if he excels at a big club it'd be the result of vast improvement as a player from where is he at the moment.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 11:29:45 AM »
Whenever I see Kenwyne play I struggle to see what the hype about him is about.  I struggle to picture him becoming a world class prolific goal scorer.  Kenwyne comes off as being an above-average athelete who can function well in a role that is built for him (e.g. a big man with an aerial presence who can poach from close range).  Kenwyne has scored some goals at the premiership level- but not that many....and not many of his goals have really been great finishes.  

If Kenwyne ever gets signed by a big team, it'd be the result of good marketing/hype...and if he excels at a big club it'd be the result of vast improvement as a player from where is he at the moment.

thumbs up kicker!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »

You mean dat kenwyn eh better than Drogba and all dem top teams in de world eh want him ???? good ting I doh believe some people on dis forum yes !! Is like all ah dem who bigging up Birchall and Scotland. I wonder if in Birchall case dey seeing him now or seeing him then ? ..and if dey realise dat scotland eh playing in de Priemiership where defenders are of better quality than in the league he is scoring in ? I eh saying he should not be part of our plan , even a main part, but we set ourselvces up for more disappointment when he plays for T&T if we believe our own hype.
Kenwyn has truly disappointed for T&T so far ..until he shows that not to be so his position should not be automatic as far as I see it.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
Is sunderland blind or what?   The man does get double team all the time lately.  Who else on the team get marked by two defenders?  . 

What good striker doh get that?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
what a horrible headline- the axe? what Sbragia said was that he needs a rest- how is that the axe... >:(
ease up KJ has been playing non-stop since he came back from a really bad injury. what happen he is not human??

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »
KJ has let us down lately....but hopefully he surprises us...I know the man is capable of being a premier league threat.  Let's hope he lives up to it. He has the necessary tools.  The only thing I believe he lacks is self confidence.  He need to stop being so humble and quiet.  Get in the action...Get mad...Get vocal..Get goals.  Talent can only carry him so far, now it's up to him to find the drive and motivation to make him succeed.
...Then again this talk about Kenwyne night just be a media hype so defenders lay off him for a while...
get your scoring touch back jed...you could start on the 28th  :D
whey boy!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »

You mean dat kenwyn eh better than Drogba and all dem top teams in de world eh want him ???? good ting I doh believe some people on dis forum yes !! Is like all ah dem who bigging up Birchall and Scotland. I wonder if in Birchall case dey seeing him now or seeing him then ? ..and if dey realise dat scotland eh playing in de Priemiership where defenders are of better quality than in the league he is scoring in ? I eh saying he should not be part of our plan , even a main part, but we set ourselvces up for more disappointment when he plays for T&T if we believe our own hype.
Kenwyn has truly disappointed for T&T so far ..until he shows that not to be so his position should not be automatic as far as I see it.

Isn't there a difference in quality for every level you ascend?  I doubt anyone will say that the league one defenders are the same as in the Championship, yet here he is doing it on this level.  If I interpreting your statement correct it seems as if you don't believe Scotty is of EPL quality, which I would have to disagree with for sure.  As for KJ I agree with anyone who says he's too humble on the pitch.  Look at Stern good over the years, he was never scared to buff up ah man fuh (what he deemed) ah shit pass.  Sometimes I thought him to be a lil too full of himself as a striker, but the results are indisputable.  A bit of confidence and an improved first touch and KJ will be good to go. He has time yet to show that improvement.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

Thank god you not them then as tough as it's been for KJ i still want the best for him so am glad to see sunderland sticking by his side but in more fairness i care more for our players than Sunderland i don't know bout you?...

nor I you, cause if you think Sunderland would be better on dey resume or development than a ~4yr deal with Arsernal...even if said in jest or just a pipe dream...then yuh letting everybody know bout you

so you had to go an type all this sense  ;D   yet kicker, yuh have to admit, is not we or T&T, start that bus rolling eh...In his healthy days, I was pushing him towards right Midfield, I was calling for him to be senior National RM, plenty men, who I have utmost respect for, say "he not ready"...boom rangers sign him, boom National team, boom southampton take him, doh hardly play him, then the bus roll with ah loan, somebody try him up front (think Stoke), he get some results, next thing, all dem commentators liking him more than we....that being the case, why we must argue(not argue, question dey sanity) with them to shred him apart is my guess, ah could understand other ppl eh, but we...instead ah wishing and hoping for the boy, through ah almost career ending injury, at a hieght of him trying he best for we, and now we tell everybody how sour he is (not referring to you eh), how he throw whey sitter - doh ah didn't see that sitter yet, and how much man we have better,,,doh dem cyah even get ah look...so the one who getting ah look, we pushing he outer dey.... no regard for recovery time, effort, nuthen... we had no one play at that level during a similar injury, an comeback to that level so fast...even dwight get 2 seasons with Villa, yet Jones must just not comeback to his level of athletic prowess, which we all recognized, but must surpass it, because now, he has become the recognized focus of a lower level premiership team...Sunderland and Jones given time would find themselves...but My point is not giving him time and axing him, would niether immediately solve their woes or improve his play for us...but the least WE could do, is bear with the youth, even if Sunderland won't...not so ? it can't be the same guy if ever, but if he could maintain his strength, character, and we ah little encouragement, maybe like yorke, doh his game will change, less athleticism, he could comeback better.....is we duty as fans to help big up, when it come to selection amongst we selves we could argue how much we want...btw Jones score more than Drogba this year   ;)

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
Kenwyne looks like he lost some speed. Hopefully it's just a temporary injury.

That was the asset that used to set him apart from other big strikers.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »

so you had to go an type all this sense  ;D   yet kicker, yuh have to admit, is not we or T&T, start that bus rolling eh...

I agree.  And you make some good points in the rest of your post as well.

I had my eye on Kenwyne as a footballer since the U-17 cup in Trini where I thought he was our best player.  Then I think he was played at stopper in that competition- but I liked his composure, and he was an imposing figure on the pitch.

I don't think that every good player has to be a superstar though, so I'm comfortable with respecting his ability and supporting him 100% without getting carried away with what he's capable of....

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »

Isn't there a difference in quality for every level you ascend?  I doubt anyone will say that the league one defenders are the same as in the Championship, yet here he is doing it on this level.  If I interpreting your statement correct it seems as if you don't believe Scotty is of EPL quality, which I would have to disagree with for sure.  As for KJ I agree with anyone who says he's too humble on the pitch.  Look at Stern good over the years, he was never scared to buff up ah man fuh (what he deemed) ah shit pass.  Sometimes I thought him to be a lil too full of himself as a striker, but the results are indisputable.  A bit of confidence and an improved first touch and KJ will be good to go. He has time yet to show that improvement.

I agree with everything you have said with exception to time.Time waits for no one....   

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
so WE can't ?...as meh tantie used to say "we uses to be ah warm loving talented ppl, buh we always striving to be ah better somebody else " :'(

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »
what a horrible headline- the axe? what Sbragia said was that he needs a rest- how is that the axe... >:(

Read the article when Tallman first posted it this morning and this too is what I thought... unnecessarily alarmist.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »

What good striker doh get that?
yea. thats why they move to better clubs with more talent like man u and real madrd etc. so they would get it less and pay same or more.  thats why i wanted kenwyne leave sunderland and go chelsea. watch next year they aint go bring no talented players again.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
Kenwyne is a very good player and is yet to hit top form. For one thing he has to do too much defending while running back to be in perfect position for cross balls. He will make T&T proud.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
defensive midfielder  :)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

thumbs up kicker!!

ah love it!!

So much for supporting T&T players....thanks for doing your part.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:49 PM »

thumbs up kicker!!

ah love it!!

Big steupssss Elan....yuh better than that:

I had my eye on Kenwyne as a footballer since the U-17 cup in Trini where I thought he was our best player.  Then I think he was played at stopper in that competition- but I liked his composure, and he was an imposing figure on the pitch.

I don't think that every good player has to be a superstar though, so I'm comfortable with respecting his ability and supporting him 100% without getting carried away with what he's capable of....

::)  :-\

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »
PPl i does watch sulun all the time, and i must say the midfield has very little quality.

i rarely see a build up play leading to a goal, it's only a set of ariel balls coming down the pike and very few on point crosses.  sunderland have two of the fastest strikers in the league and the midfield don't exploit that @ all!!

KJ is not the best finisher in the prem, not by ah long shot! but he have other qualities that nuff big name prem players don't seem to posses.

another thing i notice is that whithead and leadbitter really fack up the game yesterday with their no vision and bad shot taking when they could play the ball to a player who could shoot better.

the only power in the midfield comes from reid, richardson and malbranque! so what allyuh want Kj tuh do?

i does see the fruastration on KJ's face , that why he doesn't put heart and soul into games and seem lack luster @ times , he needs tuh hold the ball ah lil more and challenge defenders tuh get the penalty.

and be selfish @ times that always helps as a striker, instead of playing clean football, BC football is ah dirty game and T&T players needs tuh come tuh the modern game and stop being so gentlemanly!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »

thumbs up kicker!!

ah love it!!

Big steupssss Elan....yuh better than that:

::)  :-\

Nah Kicker not you........ ;D  I just chooking fire with Andre Samuel.  :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »
KJ just give a man a wrong address and a little meggy and we'll love you again.  :D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »
allyuh..back off de kid..let him play he fitball...go KJ....

its all part of de learning process...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>