March 28, 2024, 04:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Imagine a midfield like this for T&T.  (Read 13093 times)

Offline Trini/Aussie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine a midfield like this for T&T.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »
The name De Silva Originally came from Spain but there are a lot of De Silva's in Portugal including my great grand father. Most De Silva's are mixed up with all kinda ting...hence my brown skin...and ah proud of it. It should not matter anyway...we all TRINI.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 07:01:21 AM »
The name De Silva Originally came from Spain but there are a lot of De Silva's in Portugal including my great grand father. Most De Silva's are mixed up with all kinda ting...hence my brown skin...and ah proud of it. It should not matter anyway...we all TRINI.

DeSilva is a Portuguese name doh.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »
I would think DASILVA is Portuguese. DESILVA is Spanish. It means the same. Spanish/Portuguese diffferent set of people but certainly very, very similar culture.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 07:26:51 AM »

DeSilva is a Portuguese name doh.

Yeah every De Silva I can think of on the top of my head is of Portuguese roots....but I think De Silva is interchangeable....given the significance of the "de" in Spanish surnames...The Portuguese equivalent of "De" is "Da"  - meaning "of"  so Da Silva is probably more convincingly portugese in origin.  (e.g. Brazilian President Luiz Da Silva...Arsenal Striker Eduardo Da Silva)....

"De" is "from" in both languages so I could also see that name being as Spanish as it is Portugese.

That's just me putting 2 & 2 together...I don't know definitively...Those two countries (and their languages) are so closely tied, my guess is that there's a decent amount of overlap- definitely so for words...and I suppose so for names as well....

Is our young warrior De Silva or Da Silva? lol
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:32:29 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 07:45:18 AM »
de silva is de "whitest" of the lot...but may not be 100 percent...i know all the boys well and the parents...and the rest mixed..
TnT only really have bout 10 "white families"...

check this too...all of them are laFoucade products

Doh say that to loud, Bally go say they was St Anns Rangers product first and La Foucade stole them.
man why de fack yah calling my name yah like man ahh what
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »
Jason Devenish now plays for the Victoria Highlanders
http://victoriahighlandersfc.com/profile.php?pid=29

team site
http://victoriahighlandersfc.com/index.php
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
could be a white midfield, black, brown tangerine, i doh care ... does not matter . but allyuh doh get tie up with the big up and profile from college progarms and coaches ... the quality of opponents and the level of coaching does not automatically equate to those guys having a sucessfull career at the snr level.

in my experience, coaches at that level rely heavily on recruiting plus padding the roaster to ensure a descent record in efforts to elevate themselves in the eyes of others .... but good thread though, we have to look at the youths... :beermug:

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 04:09:24 AM »
Lewwe see      

Christian Cabral

Christopher Birchall

Sean DeSilva

Jason Devenish

Justin Fojo.

.....holy cow  lol ,thats great to see the talent base widening .

wha dah midfield is to do, apart from blindin men?  8)

sound ah little racist to  me..............

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:33 AM »
Jason Devenish now plays for the Victoria Highlanders
http://victoriahighlandersfc.com/profile.php?pid=29

team site
http://victoriahighlandersfc.com/index.php
is he part Indian? can we use him to spark football into to the indo-trini culture?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »
You know i'm reading these views/comments on this topic and wondering if our team should be based on race or on ability of players,if these players are good enough sure i can't see Coaches not selecting them for personal reasons,if we can select foreign born nationals of all colours i certainly can't see why this topic should even come up,it's not a matter of imagine a midfield like this for T&T but is a midfield like this good enough or better than we already have representing the country,i think this topic is bordering on race and should not rear it's ugly head in our Football,we have had so many good so call white players and things like this never came up,some used to make it and some just did not have it,it even had white teams, Shamrock, Casuals,Queens Park etc etc   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:54:31 AM by Coop's »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 07:36:46 AM »
You know i'm reading these views/comments on this topic and wondering if our team should be based on race or on ability of players,if these players are good enough sure i can't see Coaches not selecting them for personal reasons,if we can select foreign born nationals of all colours i certainly can't see why this topic should even come up,it's not a matter of imagine a midfield like this for T&T but is a midfield like this good enough or better than we already have representing the country,i think this topic is bordering on race and should not rear it's ugly head in our Football,we have had so many good so call white players and things like this never came up,some used to make it and some just did not have it,it even have white teams, Shamrock, Casuals,Queens Park etc etc   

You're taking the thread too seriously and out of context.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
You know i'm reading these views/comments on this topic and wondering if our team should be based on race or on ability of players,if these players are good enough sure i can't see Coaches not selecting them for personal reasons,if we can select foreign born nationals of all colours i certainly can't see why this topic should even come up,it's not a matter of imagine a midfield like this for T&T but is a midfield like this good enough or better than we already have representing the country,i think this topic is bordering on race and should not rear it's ugly head in our Football,we have had so many good so call white players and things like this never came up,some used to make it and some just did not have it,it even have white teams, Shamrock, Casuals,Queens Park etc etc   

You're taking the thread too seriously and out of context.

I agree with Coop's. Dis sounds like a discussion on race. In any event, what is the yardstick to know how to guage the seriousness of the thread?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »
I agree with Coop's. Dis sounds like a discussion on race. In any event, what is the yardstick to know how to guage the seriousness of the thread?

I would say the guy rolling over and laughing in the initial post of this thread (see below):

Imagine a midfield like this for T&T in 2010.

We may look like England or USA....  :rotfl:

Some serious Trini whites here.

Some good players too....

Christian Cabral, Christopher Birchall, Sean DeSilva, Jason Devenish and Justin Fojo.

I think Sando was just making an observation about the racial diversity of talent that may exist in T&T football, not advocating (or even commenting) that our team be picked based on skin colour, which is what coops seemed to be addressing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:24:49 PM by kicker »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
a couple pictures of some light skinned fellas (who not really white) and from the reaction of some - they feeling threatened.

Imagine 50 - 60 years ago, when it was almost exclusively majority white football and cricket teams, what their reaction would've been to people speculating that one day (soon) it would have an all black midfield playing for TT.

is he part Indian? can we use him to spark football into to the indo-trini culture?

that was sarcasm? right? (say yes please)  :praying:
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »
a couple pictures of some light skinned fellas (who not really white) and from the reaction of some - they feeling threatened.

Imagine 50 - 60 years ago, when it was almost exclusively majority white football and cricket teams, what their reaction would've been to people speculating that one day (soon) it would have an all black midfield playing for TT.

Y and Sat wanted 2 bring d French guy cyah remember he name after 06 WC.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »

So we depending on Sat Maharaj to deepen we player pool with a dog and pony show??  :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »

So we depending on Sat Maharaj to deepen we player pool with a dog and pony show??  :rotfl:

Dat was he plan
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »

Dat was he plan

we depend on Jack to finance we to a 2006 WC (and sell we tickets too) ... and we depending on Sat to tap the potentially vast copper of Indian players to deepen we pond. No wonder we moving forward with 20/20 vision.

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
out of all those players sean and justin have the most promise of making it at senior level....... i have played with all except for cabral but to tell you the truth college ball hasnt done anything for cabral and devinish but fojo and de silva are really excelling ... they have a good chance of making and helping the senior squad................................. All LaFou products !!!!!!!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7ETOUyHK654" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7ETOUyHK654</a>
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Majestic

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
Senior international ball is no joke.
He Is Highly

1]; } ?>