March 29, 2024, 05:43:14 AM

Author Topic: Views on T&T v Hon game.  (Read 20082 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Views on T&T v Hon game.
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »
I listen to the radio and Andre Baptiste made me laugh, he was hitting the right notes. Lincoln Phillips also made some very good comments. One thing LP said though that made me vex. He said he was happy with the team selection, seems like he was trying to save Maturana or maybe he eh know football. All he talked about how happy we was that Jones was benched.

How the hell could you be happy because Jones was bench, Jones and Stern/Scotland would have been the better combo out there to start because of these.

1. Jones maynot score, but he draw defenders out opening space for the next attacker. He run at defence unlike Stern and Scotland who depend on service.

2. Stern and Scotland are basically of the same style therefore they cannot compliment each other. They cannot work off each other.

3. Everyone in CONCACAF is afraid or aware (very much) of Jones this is why we either using him to draw fouls around the box as he is good with headers, bring defenders out, create harvoc or play under T&T striker in a 4-3-1-2 formation, his ability give us plenty options.

4. Why do our strikers take so long to shoot, why ? shoot, it might go it, or may not, but something good might come out of it. They wait tell they get into the box to shoot, come on man, shoot de ball. All de goals scoring in our WCQ are mostly from midfield. If we dont shoot, how can we score.

We team played with no togetherness and the long high balls does KILL us...... a simple one touch and run for de return, work off the ball also will help us so much.

Play players in they rightfull position, shoot more, from inside or outside, run for the pass dont just stand there waiting for it, find an open space, back up your partner, we need to play it compact, get the ball out of defence and not give away free kicks close to our box, dont pass the ball on the top of our the penalty box, keep the ball on the ground.

My line up for Honduras would have been.

Williams
Wolfe, Lawrence, Thomas, Pacheco
Edwards, Hyland, Noel, Aklie
John, Jones

But then again, I'm not the coach, we coach is a horse dentist.

Nothing wrong if you have your favorites, but sometimes your favorites are the ones that gets you in trouble. Any body could see some of the weakness our team showed continuously, they are the easiest to scout. I guess we dont scout so how would we know. Maturana says so...

We going to USA allyuh. Bring more Mats.

My view.

Jan Williams - Not commanding his area enough, but made some good saves. Played decent.

Dennis Lawrence - A true captain.

Keyeno Thomas - Worked good with Lawrence.

Aklie Edwards - Did his part well, was a bit more happy with him that all of his previous games.

Wolfe - Held the right back pretty decent, but his partnership with Edwards is not bearing fruits. Not sure if he was really tested though. Both him an Edwards have to build a partnership as to much space between them on the field and this allows the opponent arces to room.

Edwards - Good baller, but didn't get good passes to him and was frustrated by the service he got. Shoot Carlos, shoot more....

Leon - Did he play ? this player needs to step up to the next level, even Claude Makelele did it as a DM at Chelsea. Leon plays with one speed and one way whether we winning or loosing.

Theobald - Why, why, I had so much faith in this guy once, what happened ? if he stage fright ? one day he can be such a good player, de next day he playing like Palos.....  :devil:

Daniel - If he dont find a club soon he should get relegated to the T&T bench. Another good talent being used out of position. His defensive capabilities is very worrying and yet Mats using him on the left wing every game, maybe USA will give Mats the answers he needs. Donovan on the wing will bury them if we dont take precaution.

Stern - The better of the two forwards. Worked hard, but please take more shots.. yuh big and strong.

Scotland - Made 2 nice shots but apart from that, he didn't do much.

Hyland - Came on and did a great job. He brough energy and options to T&T when he came up, the team lifted compare to the dull game when Theobald was on. I guess signing with a club really helped him out, hope Daniel follow suit.

Latapy - Came on a played a little to deep but made a difference, not much.

Jones - His controlling and trapping of he ball lets him down. But still a good option to have on the field. Take more shoots Kenwyne... take more, yuh powerful... use it....

Why do we allow teams to feel right at home when they visit T&T !!!!!!!

We play at home like we are the visitors....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:16:10 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Views on T&T v Hon game.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:00:34 AM »
I don't agree with your first two points Sam....but the rest of the comments are ok.  Scotland and John have two very different styles of play in my opinion.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
I don't agree with your first two points Sam....but the rest of the comments are ok.  Scotland and John have two very different styles of play in my opinion.
i agree with them

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keon Daniel and Jan Michael should not be
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
on the plane to the US. Keon needs to be playing club football becz besides being a defensive liability his offensive play was woeful last night. He was not sharp and this can be becz of not playing for a while. Jan Michael, from his allowance from such a soft goal should be behind Ince, Phillips and yes, Samuel. Jan cleared that ball like my little sister would have cleared it. Keon was just awful. The rest of the team ,including bleeder played well.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
sam...like yuh take a babash
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
I listen to the radio and Andre Baptiste made me laugh, he was hitting the right notes. Lincoln Phillips also made some very good comments. One thing LP said though that made me vex. He said he was happy with the team selection, seems like he was trying to save Maturana or maybe he eh know football. All he talked about how happy we was that Jones was benched.

How the hell could you be happy because Jones was bench, Jones and Stern/Scotland would have been the better combo out there to start because of these.

1. Jones maynot score, but he draw defenders out opening space for the next attacker. He run at defence unlike Stern and Scotland who depend on service.

2. Stern and Scotland are basically of the same style therefore they cannot compliment each other. They cannot work off each other.

3. Everyone in CONCACAF is afraid or aware (very much) of Jones this is why we either using him to draw fouls around the box as he is good with headers, bring defenders out, create harvoc or play under T&T striker in a 4-3-1-2 formation, his ability give us plenty options.

4. Why do our strikers take so long to shoot, why ? shoot, it might go it, or may not, but something good might come out of it. They wait tell they get into the box to shoot, come on man, shoot de ball. All de goals scoring in our WCQ are mostly from midfield. If we dont shoot, how can we score.

We team played with no togetherness and the long high balls does KILL us...... a simple one touch and run for de return, work off the ball also will help us so much.

Play players in they rightfull position, shoot more, from inside or outside, run for the pass dont just stand there waiting for it, find an open space, back up your partner, we need to play it compact, get the ball out of defence and not give away free kicks close to our box, dont pass the ball on the top of our the penalty box, keep the ball on the ground.

My line up for Honduras would have been.

Williams
Wolfe, Lawrence, Thomas, Pacheco
Edwards, Hyland, Noel, Aklie
John, Jones

But then again, I'm not the coach, we coach is a horse dentist.

Nothing wrong if you have your favorites, but sometimes your favorites are the ones that gets you in trouble. Any body could see some of the weakness our team showed continuously, they are the easiest to scout. I guess we dont scout so how would we know. Maturana says so...

We going to USA allyuh. Bring more Mats.

My view.

Jan Williams - Not commanding his area enough, but made some good saves. Played decent.

Dennis Lawrence - A true captain.

Keyeno Thomas - Worked good with Lawrence.

Aklie Edwards - Did his part well, was a bit more happy with him that all of his previous games.

Wolfe - Held the right back pretty decent, but his partnership with Edwards is not bearing fruits. Not sure if he was really tested though. Both him an Edwards have to build a partnership as to much space between them on the field and this allows the opponent arces to room.

Edwards - Good baller, but didn't get good passes to him and was frustrated by the service he got. Shoot Carlos, shoot more....

Leon - Did he play ? this player needs to step up to the next level, even Claude Makelele did it as a DM at Chelsea. Leon plays with one speed and one way whether we winning or loosing.

Theobald - Why, why, I had so much faith in this guy once, what happened ? if he stage fright ? one day he can be such a good player, de next day he playing like Palos.....  :devil:

Daniel - If he dont find a club soon he should get relegated to the T&T bench. Another good talent being used out of position. His defensive capabilities is very worrying and yet Mats using him on the left wing every game, maybe USA will give Mats the answers he needs. Donovan on the wing will bury them if we dont take precaution.

Stern - The better of the two forwards. Worked hard, but please take more shots.. yuh big and strong.

Scotland - Made 2 nice shots but apart from that, he didn't do much.

Hyland - Came on and did a great job. He brough energy and options to T&T when he came up, the team lifted compare to the dull game when Theobald was on. I guess signing with a club really helped him out, hope Daniel follow suit.

Latapy - Came on a played a little to deep but made a difference, not much.

Jones - His controlling and trapping of he ball lets him down. But still a good option to have on the field. Take more shoots Kenwyne... take more, yuh powerful... use it....

Why do we allow teams to feel right at home when they visit T&T !!!!!!!

We play at home like we are the visitors....
can't agree with you here..I think Jones' play yday wen he came on showed exactly why he started on the bench....I also think scotty may have felt little hard done by..he could of ad a longer run out there...daniel rel let me down yday..

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keon Daniel and Jan Michael should not be
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
on the plane to the US. Keon needs to be playing club football becz besides being a defensive liability his offensive play was woeful last night. He was not sharp and this can be becz of not playing for a while. Jan Michael, from his allowance from such a soft goal should be behind Ince, Phillips and yes, Samuel. Jan cleared that ball like my little sister would have cleared it. Keon was just awful. The rest of the team ,including bleeder played well.

If you think Jan did shit imagine how much cuss that Honduras keeper must be getting on their message boards. 
Wow that was a pathetic way to give up a point on the road

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
The first part of point one, about Jones creating chances I agree with.  However the second part of point 1 and all of point 2, I don't agree with.  I think every striker depends on service to some extent but all of our strikers including scotland and john are capable of capitalizing on defensive errors to score. All of our strikers are capable of picking up the ball from outside and scoring from long range, and all can hustle defenders off the ball and score.  So they don't completely rely on service.  Like KJ, both scotland and John can create chances for their team mates.  All of our strikers who were selected for the honduras game were good enough to get a start without complaints from me.  Our strikers styles are different but I think they are all effective and they can all form good partnerships.  

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »
Bleeder played well  :o

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:19 AM »
One bad game from keon and one mistake from the keeper and you write them off?  How did you feel in the previous round when Keon scored all those crucial goals to get us into this round?  What about the good saves by Jan that helped us to at least get a point out of this game?  SUB1, I think you have to give yourself some time to let the emotions settle.  Both Jan and Keon have to put in serious work to improve certain aspects of their game but I would not write them off.  Maybe put them on the bench or something but certainly not drop them.

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »
Anybody looking at the US v ES game would realize that we need Cornell Glen along with one other for the US game.  I believe we also needed him in the Honduras game, but that is water under the bridge.  Bottom line is, we need at least one forward with the disposition and ability to run at the opposing defense and shake up things every now and again.  All is moot however if the strikers are not getting good service from the midfield, or when our midfield is letting the other team control the middle third of the field.  Look at the difference Latapy and Hyland made when they came on.  Birchall's hustle will also be a welcome plus.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »
Bleeder was solid. Himself and Leon were solid in the middle. They were not overwhelmed in the midfield and were competent. They are both not Latapy so do not expect them to be. Daniel was bad going both ways.
I don't want to belabour the point but Carlos really needs to become a better crosser of the ball.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
I  DONT BELIEVE john and scotland are as similar as ppl say. scotland takes on players john doesnt really do that. they both can crack with any foot  and maybe dont make lots of runs off d ball but thats it
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:57:46 AM »
Yeah...I also like Glen in the mix.  We have a decent  group of strikers to choose from.  Mats has some hard decisions to make.  Maybe he will bring back Glen.   If not, we still have three very good guys.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
Have we seen a scotland / Glen combination yet?

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 08:10:19 AM »
Personally, the entire team played at about the same level.  There were noteworthy moments... but on average,... just average. To go and isolate keon and de keeper for a soft goal...  nah.  I did not see glaring inefficiency.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »
No, I do not think we ever had a Scotland/Glen combo. 

Admittedly, it is a tough decision, and one which only a coach can make based on assessing the players in practice.  Its too easy to armchair speculate without the benefit of evaluating current form and chemistry.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
One bad game from keon and one mistake from the keeper and you write them off?  How did you feel in the previous round when Keon scored all those crucial goals to get us into this round?  What about the good saves by Jan that helped us to at least get a point out of this game?  SUB1, I think you have to give yourself some time to let the emotions settle.  Both Jan and Keon have to put in serious work to improve certain aspects of their game but I would not write them off.  Maybe put them on the bench or something but certainly not drop them.

Actually FATAR this has nothing to do with emotion. Unlike many on the board Keon never really impressed me to the point where I considered him a must play. Having said that let me add that he is a skillful player but very slow. Added to that he is not skillful enuff to carry such defensive shortcomings at the international level. Right now he is very rusty offensively as can be witnessed by his last two games. There are other options like Collin Samuel for instance. BUt I am with you definitely when it comes to leaving him on the bench. On Jan let me very honest here. I just consider him to be the worst national keeper I have seen besides Ross Russell.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »
  I have also been disappointed for a long time by Keon's lack of defensive effort.   we definitly need to keep him on the team though.  He has a lot to offer on the offensive end.  A little bench time might help to get him back on track....and might force him to improve his defensive game.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:46:14 AM by fatimarima »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
remember too this is a 2 game in 5 days scenario....
Not sure if Maturana was keeping KJ somewhat fresh for the US. I feel he will start Wed though.

Cornel Glen would have been a better option to take to the US instead of Scotland i think, simply because of style of play. The US will much prefer to defend against the English-type forwards we currently have instead of a player like Glen or Suazo.

Also, i find the T&T team was shooting quite a bit last night, moreso than i have seen them do for a while. So i wouldnt fault them for that. We miss Birchall in that dept.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
Dropped, but not left behind.
Jan Michael is not ready as a first call keeper just yet, make the same mistakes over and over...parries it back into play, ask Haiti in caribbean cup final 2 years ago as well.
Cornel Glen shoulod have been going to the US, but u cant leave scottie out in his current club form.
Plus we on the road, a point vs the USA will be perhaps our best result in WCQ in a generation (maybe since the 1-1 draw in LA in 89)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »
  I have also been disappointed for a long time by Keon's lack of defensive effort.   we definitly need to keep him on the team though.  He has a lot to offer on the offensive end.  A little bench time might help to get him back on track....and might force him to improve his defensive game.

He also needs a club fast!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 08:49:03 AM »

Actually FATAR this has nothing to do with emotion. Unlike many on the board Keon never really impressed me to the point where I considered him a must play. Having said that let me add that he is a skillful player but very slow. Added to that he is not skillful enuff to carry such defensive shortcomings at the international level. Right now he is very rusty offensively as can be witnessed by his last two games. There are other options like Collin Samuel for instance. BUt I am with you definitely when it comes to leaving him on the bench. On Jan let me very honest here. I just consider him to be the worst national keeper I have seen besides Ross Russell.

What is an example of playing regular club ball adding sharpness to your game. The impact Hyland had in the last 30 minutes showed clearly the difference overall. Daniel just seems a bit stagnant, while playing out of position is part of issue he really needs some regular club ball, even if its locally cause he will find his place in the team under threat.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »
In one of my previous posts I said that Daniel needs to find a club.......QUICK! His skill is degressing to the detriment of the team! :-[
Sharpness,confidence,composure an don't forget his defensive frailties........is sorely lacking, he needs to bunch and play his more natural position,CM!   

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
remember too this is a 2 game in 5 days scenario....
Not sure if Maturana was keeping KJ somewhat fresh for the US. I feel he will start Wed though.

Cornel Glen would have been a better option to take to the US instead of Scotland i think, simply because of style of play. The US will much prefer to defend against the English-type forwards we currently have instead of a player like Glen or Suazo.

Also, i find the T&T team was shooting quite a bit last night, moreso than i have seen them do for a while. So i wouldnt fault them for that. We miss Birchall in that dept.

I can't agree with you with respect to excluding scotty.  With his current form scotty is always going to be a great option.  As far as who the usa prefers to defend against..that is pure speculation.  Until we have a striker who consistently scores on them, they wont care one way or the other.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:05:32 AM by fatimarima »

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »
In one of my previous posts I said that Daniel needs to find a club.......QUICK! His skill is degressing to the detriment of the team! :-[
Sharpness,confidence,composure an don't forget his defensive frailties........is sorely lacking, he needs to bunch and play his more natural position,CM!   

Yip..totally agree....find a club fast!  it will help

Corbeaux

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »
I wouldn't say that his skill is degressing but he is definetely not fit and it showed last night. he needs to find a club even if it is tobago united.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »
We still sticking. Thank for GOD fuh ah miracle goal from ah angel name K. Hyland.

1. This team is still not capitalizing on corners and free kicks.
2. Wrong players on the field, especially ah certain forward who real miss goals killing the team.
3. Why are players still not running off the ball to create open spaces?
4. Why is the team waiting on the opposing teams to score first to start playing with intensity???
5. Carlos on the wing making crosses and no one there to put a head on it etc.
6. The roach sorry ah mean coach, still making the worng subsitutions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:37:04 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
I honestly feel Keon is a player of the future. He has good ball controll and has good touches. He is also a lefty. But he needs to improve on his defence. That means becoming more fit, stronger. He has good skill, but he needs to go to the gym and strengthen up. But don't write him off.

The keeper was inhibited when he went to punch the ball, hence the ball did not go far enough. But he came of his line pretty good. The problem with that goal was the previous 10 mins before. We were totally out of the game. We conceded about 4 quick corners. We brought pressure on the defence. That was the problem to me.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »
pachecho for akile edwards, scotty needs to benched, glen and roberts back in the team, wolfe cant play right back, noel as holding mid till yorke returns, john better start pulling his weight, bleeder playing garbage, in fact the team played garbage
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:24:41 AM by Controversial »

1]; } ?>