April 20, 2024, 03:02:48 AM

Author Topic: A few minutes with Franciso Maturana - Washington Post  (Read 3703 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
A few minutes with Franciso Maturana - Washington Post
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
A Few Minutes With Francisco Maturana
The Trinidad and Tobago players weren't available for interviews after their one-hour training session here at LP Field in Music City, but Coach Francisco "Pacho" Maturana agreed to chat for a few moments (with help from an interpreter):

What are your feelings on the eve of this important match?

"It is one of those games you always like to play. You are playing against the number one contender in the group. So anything successful tomorrow will have very significant value for us."

Why is the United States so difficult to beat in America?

"They are a great team. History has already said that. They have a great mental capacity, not only at home but away too."

After two ties, what is your team lacking?

"That is a question every team has to answer. The United States tied the last game by a miracle. Mexico lost the first game. Honduras too. Costa Rica has lost. We haven't lost yet, but for sure we have to get things in order. What we missed in the last game was a little bit more heart."

How is it different coaching Colombia, Costa Rica and Ecuador compared to T&T?

"Big difference - the culture. The pressure is much greater in Latin America. The quality of players is different. We in Latin America like to work around the ball a little more. We don't have the power that the Caribbean players have, but they are all valid styles."

Is there a unique joy or happiness to football in the Caribbean?

"Not just the players, the people too. Football is an extension of the people. When you go to a stadium in Trinidad, the game is a party. Honduras scores a goal and the Trinidadians hug them. [laughing] In Latin America, that is im-poss-ib-le."

---------------------------

It really so bad boy, we does hug up man after they score goal on we??

In a WC qualifier??  :o

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: A few minutes with Franciso Maturana - Washington Post
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:09:17 AM »
We should start to pelt people........lol.

Teams should be afriad to come to Trinidad and win.........lol.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »

VB

Somebody musbe take de goal celebration as ah chance to tief ah wine on ah chica... and pacho thought dey was hugging  :-\
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »
i cah really hate on wat d man had to say. d biggest issue i have though is the fact he thinks the team lacked heart in the last game. i agree with him and thats a major concern going into this US game.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
Mr Maturana, El Salvador is also unbeaten so far. So whats your point ?

We have to play with heart and determination. USA on paper is a better team, lets try and create history.

Good luck Warriors. Leave de Soca for after de game.

PS: Maturana right about one thing. De fans in T&T soft !!!!!!! I bet you de 1/2 thosand fans we get in Nasville will make more noise that de 26 thousand we had vs Honduras at home.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:55:49 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:59 AM »
"Big difference - the culture. The pressure is much greater in Latin America. Ent? Thanks deh cobo man…thai is why I does pond he so…we too soft in Trinibago, that is why he relaxing and taking we monie. Let that was one ah them Spanish countries he did gone ah long time ago.

When you go to a stadium in Trinidad, the game is a party. Honduras scores a goal and the Trinidadians hug them. [laughing] In Latin America, that is im-poss-ib-le."

Them even de cobo man think we is one setta ah clowns in Trinidad and Tobago and love to party than passionate fuh de game and to win. Read the sentence again! De cobo [laughing] We is ah joke to he.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »
"Big difference - the culture. The pressure is much greater in Latin America. Ent? Thanks deh cobo man…thai is why I does pond he so…we too soft in Trinibago, that is why he relaxing and taking we monie. Let that was one ah them Spanish countries he did gone ah long time ago.

When you go to a stadium in Trinidad, the game is a party. Honduras scores a goal and the Trinidadians hug them. [laughing] In Latin America, that is im-poss-ib-le."

Them even de cobo man think we is one setta ah clowns in Trinidad and Tobago and love to party than passionate fuh de game and to win. Read the sentence again! De cobo [laughing] We is ah joke to he.

He dam well right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we may not be clowns, but we love to party dont matter who win.

We treat teams to good when they visit T&T.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
All American

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »
He dam well right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we may not be clowns, but we love to party dont matter who win.

Exactly... is not that we is clowns, is just that we have a life.  Football is not de end all be all that we have to lose we civility b/c we loss.  To this day the American team in 89 does talk about the grace we showed after they defeated us.

Form is temporary...  class is permanent.

Offline iceberg

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »
I find nothing wrong with what Maturana said.  Come on now we love football but we are not really a TRUE FOOTBALL NATION.  If we were so, then or stadium would be rocking from the first whistle to final whistle.  We don't support our National Football Team when the actual game start.  But before the game yes man music blasting and woman wining, that is what people come they for.  Look at that El Salvador game, the stadium was so loud you couldn't even hear the whistle blow.  TRINIBAGONIANS only have a Party mentality and that is what Maturana saying.  We could loss and we still chipping out the stadium. That happening in Latin America?  The way we play football is ah reflection of our home support "SOFT".  Like he say the fellas didn't play with enough heart.

Beat yuh bottom dollar you will be hearing the 1500 plus T&T fans in Tennessee backing they team not like in facking T'dad.

Anyway sorry to harp on the negativity by this is a day to let the positive vibes flow.

Like FayeAnn say "LET's GO!"
If your heart is not in the game then your not a true footballer!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
I find nothing wrong with what Maturana said.  Come on now we love football but we are not really a TRUE FOOTBALL NATION.  If we were so, then or stadium would be rocking from the first whistle to final whistle.  We don't support our National Football Team when the actual game start.  But before the game yes man music blasting and woman wining, that is what people come they for.  Look at that El Salvador game, the stadium was so loud you couldn't even hear the whistle blow.  TRINIBAGONIANS only have a Party mentality and that is what Maturana saying.  We could loss and we still chipping out the stadium. That happening in Latin America?  The way we play football is ah reflection of our home support "SOFT".  Like he say the fellas didn't play with enough heart.

Beat yuh bottom dollar you will be hearing the 1500 plus T&T fans in Tennessee backing they team not like in facking T'dad.

Anyway sorry to harp on the negativity by this is a day to let the positive vibes flow.

Like FayeAnn say "LET's GO!"

I would never characterize our support as "SOFT"... the people who show up in the stadium show up (for the most part) to support.  Not because we not pissing in plastic bags and throwing it on people or pelting dem with battery and thing dat mean we soft.

Offline iceberg

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »
"SOFT" in terms of being vocal, making the the visiting team uncomfortable.  Not just showing up and sitting down dey fraid to open yuh mouth cause people go look at yuh like yuh mad.  That is ah true 12th man in football.  The home crowd have to make a difference.
If your heart is not in the game then your not a true footballer!!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »

As long as he doh think we national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree, I good.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
"SOFT" in terms of being vocal, making the the visiting team uncomfortable.  Not just showing up and sitting down dey fraid to open yuh mouth cause people go look at yuh like yuh mad.  That is ah true 12th man in football.  The home crowd have to make a difference.

I will piggy back on this comment. Ah man vex with me on last Saturday in Trinidad HCS, because I was standing up waving ah big flag...he want me to sit down. One setta talk pass. That is what we talking about...no passion. Then when we score, oh he get up and high five me.  ::) So maybe thai why we football still relaxing while de Mexican, Spanish and them passionate to de end.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »

Exactly... is not that we is clowns, is just that we have a life.  Football is not de end all be all that we have to lose we civility b/c we loss.  To this day the American team in 89 does talk about the grace we showed after they defeated us.

Form is temporary...  class is permanent.

Nobody saying we have to behave bad bro.... we just have to make our presents felt. That's all... 12 man suuport.... like England or even USA.... get behind de team...

And no, we cannot behave bad after de game if we lose, but during de game we have to let them know they in T&T.

Is a one love after de game.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
I doh believe we does hug opposing fans when they score !! where he get that from??

I was watching the Japan v Bahrain game the other day and the JAPANESe fans were signing and standing up for the entire 1st half !! now that is support and a real 12Th man !!

Offline NJsTriniGunna

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »

VB

Somebody musbe take de goal celebration as ah chance to tief ah wine on ah chica... and pacho thought dey was hugging  :-\

Lol.. i know thats what I do.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
I'm surprised he didn't conduct the interview via text  :beermug:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »

I agree with you and Maturana is right.  Why do we find it so hard to win a road game and road teams seem to have no trouble winning in Trinidad.  We could make it harder for the visiting team by being more supportive and vocal.  The American fans don't pee in bags and pelt batteries, but when anybody playing in the USA you know you intimidated by the support of their fans from the starting whistle to the final one. 
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »

I agree with you and Maturana is right.  Why do we find it so hard to win a road game and road teams seem to have no trouble winning in Trinidad.  We could make it harder for the visiting team by being more supportive and vocal.  The American fans don't pee in bags and pelt batteries, but when anybody playing in the USA you know you intimidated by the support of their fans from the starting whistle to the final one. 

Allyuh getting real carried away... I hardly doubt any professional footballer "intimidated" by anything that goes on in the stands... let alone by the Americans.  I was at that friendly against Argentina last year and I could tell you that as great an atmosphere as that was, the Americans were hardly standing up and cheering whole day, let alone intimidating anyone.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »
Friendly?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
As long as he doh think we national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree, I good.

Never....Wim was rellll outta place. We does get loud when we drinking.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »
well said gaffer
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 06:12:05 PM »
Pacho was right when he said that the team lacks heart. Is only after Hon. scored we get a jolt. If only they can start and keep an up tempo game we go be alright. But I don't think we have the players for a total uptempo game at the moment. Some of the younger guys on this squad and the U-20s may be one who can do it. That is if jack don't screw up things.

1]; } ?>