April 27, 2024, 08:15:10 AM

Poll

Is a wall necessary to defend a free kick?

Yes of Course its a must
20 (87%)
No it does Jumbie the keeper view
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Wall or No Wall?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Wall or No Wall?
« on: October 02, 2005, 08:54:00 AM »
Fellas,

I thought this was a dotish question, but in this day and age no question is dotish.

I was talking with some classmates about football and we reach the topic of free kick and wall.

I was of the view that wall does help keeper because at this level a man could light yuh up easy from all 30-40 yards :flamethrower:
Even toe-pee launching with accuracy from that range and scoring. Thus with a wall it comes down to the skill of the player, being able to curl a ball or have it dip.

My comrades.......say nah. Goalkeepers these days better and more agile and flexible, they stopping shot better now and all wall does do is obscure the view so they have little time to react when they see the ball. Also wall ent solid and man does breaks and do shit causing deflection and how plenty goals does take touch off the wall on the way in. They use Andrews as a e.g.

I am a wall advocate but how alyuh fellas feel about wall? Anything from 18-30 yards is to put up wall and make sure at least 7 men they.

Richard G I await yuh response.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wall or No Wall?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 09:00:41 AM »
what alternatives were suggested by your classmates who were anti-wall ?

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 09:07:16 AM »
Touches if you don’t put a wall then is pure bullet in them keeper ass remember when there’s a wall the player has to bend the ball around the wall most of the time not all but most.
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 09:13:40 AM »
Bally and Kicker I know is pure bullet the keeper go take thats why i am a wall man.

But my colleagues say it come like a long range penalty.......the keeper go have time to see and make adjustment.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 09:20:26 AM »
one of every three goals come from a dead ball situation.  the wall does only work sometimes. although it does prevent direct bullet it it had no wall de keeper might be able to save it better
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:21:56 AM »
Bally and Kicker I know is pure bullet the keeper go take thats why i am a wall man.

But my colleagues say it come like a long range penalty.......the keeper go have time to see and make adjustment.

I just want to know what alternatives they suggested.............what positions should the defensive players take up ?...just curious

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 09:31:37 AM »
one of every three goals come from a dead ball situation.  the wall does only work sometimes. although it does prevent direct bullet it it had no wall de keeper might be able to save it better

That statistic is very misleading....and it's used to market the coaching of direct football.......trust me I've seen an educational video that tries popularize it.

a dead ball situation referred to in that statistic is not just  free kick on the edge of the box....it includes corner kicks, penalties, throw ins, and free kicks in and around the box that are crossed in and passed............

It's obvious that a teams hardly ever possesses the ball from one goal to the next and scores off of that possession......fouls, interceptions, ball going out of play, etc will take place along the way.....so it is very likely that a goal will come via a free kick, a restart, a corner kick, a throw in, a cross from a free kick etc...........that does not comment directly on the usefulness of a wall.

basically any restart that resulted in 3 or less touches before a shot on goal....... was considered a dead ball situation in the video I watched...so when you think of it that way.....that statistic doesn't really say much......
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 10:07:58 AM by kicker »

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 09:34:59 AM »
well thats the way i was coached and i didnt look at it that way.
 :beermug:

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 09:47:02 AM »
Andrews was not in the wall when he deflected that ball into the net he was standing behind
The wall stops more goals than it causes, but if you standing behind it and stick your foot you will jumbie the keeper

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 10:12:16 AM »
Andrews was not in the wall when he deflected that ball into the net he was standing behind
The wall stops more goals than it causes, but if you standing behind it and stick your foot you will jumbie the keeper

haha.....I love the term "jumbie""

but yeah, a wall is not perfect.......but what is ??

That's why I try to ask touches what was suggested as a better alternative than a wall, other than just letting a man get a free shot on goal......who will be the man on the forum to revolutionize defending dead-ball situations on top the area ?

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 10:46:15 AM »
WITH THE WALL ANGLED TO BLOCK THE GOAL AND A GOALIE COVERING THE EXCESS GOAL SPACE THEN A WALL CAUSES IMACULATE DELIVERY ALL THE TIME TO SCORE OF WHICH FEW PLAYER ARE CONSINTENTLY ABLE TO DO

WITH NO WALL EVERYBODY WITH A BULLET CUD TAKE CHANCES STRINGING UP THE GOALIE
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 11:03:07 AM »
i feel you need a wall..one that doesn't break easliy or jumps unnecessarily.
but the best thing i feel to do is a put a man on the opposite post to the keeper at the last possible second..is just that the marking have to be a lot tighter cause basically everybody going to be onsideif the ball ends up loose in the box.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 11:08:03 AM »
PUT UP AH BIG WALL TO LINE UP DE WHOLE GOAL :beermug:

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 01:01:18 PM »
no wall coming like a penalty kick

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »
You could image Roberto Carlos kicking at you from 20 yards without ah Wall?  Lord have mercy......Put a wall up sah.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

jusme

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 10:04:36 PM »
I never really thought about it, but men does take shots from outside the box all the time and for the most part keepers does deal with it well.  I guess the alternative would be to put a man on each post and mark everybody else as if you defending a corner.  You would still need a defender in the vicinity to prevent the kicking team from just dribbling into the box before shooting from close.

putting a lot of men in the wall might actually leave you more vulnerable to them tricky set plays eg where argentina score over england back in 98.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 05:33:46 AM »

haha.....I love the term "jumbie""

but yeah, a wall is not perfect.......but what is ??

That's why I try to ask touches what was suggested as a better alternative than a wall, other than just letting a man get a free shot on goal......who will be the man on the forum to revolutionize defending dead-ball situations on top the area ?

Last week you pull out and dusted your marketing text book on me..this week you laughing at man name :)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 05:36:12 AM »
Fellas,

I thought this was a dotish question, but in this day and age no question is dotish.

I was talking with some classmates about football and we reach the topic of free kick and wall.

I was of the view that wall does help keeper because at this level a man could light yuh up easy from all 30-40 yards :flamethrower:
Even toe-pee launching with accuracy from that range and scoring. Thus with a wall it comes down to the skill of the player, being able to curl a ball or have it dip.

My comrades.......say nah. Goalkeepers these days better and more agile and flexible, they stopping shot better now and all wall does do is obscure the view so they have little time to react when they see the ball. Also wall ent solid and man does breaks and do shit causing deflection and how plenty goals does take touch off the wall on the way in. They use Andrews as a e.g.

I am a wall advocate but how alyuh fellas feel about wall? Anything from 18-30 yards is to put up wall and make sure at least 7 men they.

Would be nice to get a keeper's take on this.. I wonder how much that wall prevents the keep from actually seeing the ball.. I've seen enough times where it looked like the wall blocked the view the keeper has and he has to react real fast as the ball is over or around the wall.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 07:34:08 AM »
Fellas,

Would be nice to get a keeper's take on this.. I wonder how much that wall prevents the keep from actually seeing the ball.. I've seen enough times where it looked like the wall blocked the view the keeper has and he has to react real fast as the ball is over or around the wall.

Yeah the wall cuts the angle given to the shooter, but as long as he's able to get around or over the wall, the keeper has very little time to react........

still can't think of a better alternative though

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 07:45:14 AM »
ok more 'dotish' questions: should they get rid of the netting in the goal arae and let the fans have a free ball?
 Should they have different color nets so fans could se better?

Should they just get some stones and use for goal posts?

Should players wear make a fashion statement?

Should all players wear jock straps?

Ah mean where does all the questions stop and to what avail?

Man it's real kicks yes!!!! it keeps the board running>>>>>>>>>>>

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 08:04:57 AM »
I never really thought about it, but men does take shots from outside the box all the time and for the most part keepers does deal with it well

yeah..but those fellas dont have as much time as if you were taking a free kick and could line up the ball.....i think no wall 7 or 8 out of ten times it will score

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 08:34:19 AM »
You could image Roberto Carlos kicking at you from 20 yards without ah Wall? Lord have mercy......Put a wall up sah.

Wall or not wall Roberto Carlos hitting bullet. Like allyuh forget that bullet he curve round ah wall. Lawd
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 08:48:12 AM »
You could image Roberto Carlos kicking at you from 20 yards without ah Wall?  Lord have mercy......Put a wall up sah.
Roberto Carlos scored two goals this weekend for Real Madrid from freekicks outside the box.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 08:58:53 AM »
Me eh know bout de keeper... but anytime i seeing roberto carlos taking ah curtley ambrose run-up... I ent standing up in no wall...
He does score some nice goals... but if yuh does watch spanish league... most often than not it does look like some condemned men in front of a firing squad... and roberto only hitting some stones killers... what I does call "sterilizers"

I does feel sorry for them men when he connect  :'(
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 09:00:32 AM »
I never really thought about it, but men does take shots from outside the box all the time and for the most part keepers does deal with it well

yeah..but those fellas dont have as much time as if you were taking a free kick and could line up the ball.....i think no wall 7 or 8 out of ten times it will score
I will tend to agree with this,i think we are useing isolated incidentsto make points,just as much goals does score from outside the box as inside the box in normal play and there are players defending,i think goalkeepers will tell you a wall helps else they would have done away with walls a long time.  

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 09:04:07 AM »
i think man just born and grow up with wall so they never actually questioned it. think about when yuh in practice and yuh shooting on de keeper. (i did it yesterday) keeper does wrap up all yuh bullet cause his eyes is never off de ball. when we put up ah wall, i not saying i started scoring but now i had more options as to which part of de wall to bend it around. :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 09:27:10 AM »
The pros:

1.The wall cuts the angle of the shot. a huge percentage of the freekicks that end up off target, are because of the wall
2. Often blocks the shot....
3. Sometimes forces a shot in cases where walking the ball in the net might be favorable
4. Sometimes creates a line so that attacking players need to be careful not to stray off-side

The cons:

1. Could possibly block/blind the keeper
2. Could cause unpredictable deflections
3. May be slow to react to creative set plays (other than shots)....or even rebounds.....

That's my 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:52:40 AM by kicker »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 07:50:28 AM »
While it is true that having a wall could potentially blind the keeper, not having a wall doesn't mean the keeper will automatically be able to see the shot. All the attacking team has to do is put a couple of their own players in the way, then have them move at the last minute. Same effect, or even better because the shooter doesn't have to curl the ball over/around the wall. As it is some attacking teams try to use their own players in or on the end of the wall to disrupt it so the shooter can fire the ball through the vacated space.

I say wall all the way!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:20 AM »
Stupes.. Doh put ah wall and see wha guh happen nuh!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>