March 28, 2024, 10:45:53 PM

Author Topic: Scotland duo banned for life  (Read 4341 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scotland duo banned for life
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have been banned from ever representing Scotland again after their bench antics against Iceland in midweek.

Barry Ferguson

JeffJMitchell/GettyImages

Former glories: Ferguson used to be key

The pair were caught on camera making childish "V signs" across their faces at television cameras. They had been dropped for the Iceland World Cup qualifier after breaking squad discipline and spending the night drinking.

A furious Rangers manager Walter Smith sent the pair home from training on Friday and they were suspended by the Scottish giants without pay. Ferguson has also been stripped of the Rangers captaincy.

The Scottish FA had claimed on Thursday that the matter was closed but have now taken a tougher stance by ruling the pair will never play for their country again. The SFA have been besieged by phone calls and e-mails from irate Scotland fans.

It is understood the negative reaction from supporters and supporters' groups added to the pressure for the matter to be discussed again.

Following a further meeting between chief executive Gordon Smith and manager George Burley, sanctioned by the SFA board, it was decided neither player would play for Scotland again.

An SFA spokesman said: "In light of the events of the past 48 hours and following further discussions between the national team manager and the chief executive, it has been decided that Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will no longer be considered for international selection by Scotland.

"This action has been taken in the best interest of the squad, the fans and the country.

"We are determined to qualify for the World Cup and we must ensure that nothing is allowed to distract us from achieving this goal."

Ferguson and McGregor were called to a meeting with Bain at Murray Park, where they were informed of the action being taken by the club.

Bain said: "The overall conduct of the players during the last week while on Scotland duty has, regrettably, fallen considerably short of the standards expected by Rangers Football Club and our supporters and has brought the club into disrepute.

"The management of the club has taken the view that this has damaged both Rangers and Scotland and is unacceptable.

"Even though our club is entering the critical stage of the league season and the later stages of the Scottish Cup, appropriate disciplinary action was required."

Rangers have agreed with the players that part of their deducted wages will be donated to charity. Both players issued an apology for their actions and spoke of their disappointment that their international careers are now over.

Ferguson said: "I deeply regret what happened last weekend and the events during the last week and apologise wholeheartedly for the embarrassment caused to Scotland, Rangers, both sets of supporters and my friends and family.

"I have always considered playing for Rangers and Scotland an honour and a privilege and nothing will change that and I am bitterly disappointed by the announcement that I will not be selected for Scotland again."

McGregor - who made his competitive debut against Holland on Saturday - added: "I was absolutely delighted to be selected for Scotland last weekend and I am deeply sorry over what has happened since then.

"We all make mistakes in life and I am very disappointed to have let Rangers, Scotland, my family, all the fans down.

"I am also desperately disappointed that I will not be selected again for Scotland at this stage in my career."
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland duo banned for life
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
what  I miss? what was done that requires  them begin banned for life?
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
Disgraced Ferguson and McGregor banned for life by Scotland, suspended for two weeks by Rangers and set to be sold in summer

Published Date: 04 April 2009
By Stephen Halliday
BARRY Ferguson and Allan McGregor will not play for Rangers or Scotland again after the Ibrox club took swift and punitive action against the players for their conduct while on international duty this week, finally prompting the SFA to do the same.
They were both sent home from training by Rangers manager Walter Smith yesterday morning with Ferguson having been informed he was being stripped of the club captaincy with immediate effect.

The midfielder returned to the club's Murray Park training ground with goalkeeper McGregor for an afternoon meeting with Rangers chief executive Martin Bain where it was decided they would be suspended without pay for two weeks, the maximum sanction permitted under the guidelines governing players' conduct.

At the same time Rangers issued a statement detailing the punishment, the SFA announced that both Ferguson and McGregor would no longer be considered for international selection.

The decisive action taken by Rangers manager Smith was in stark contrast to the earlier pronouncements of the SFA on the matter, with manager George Burley and chief executive Gordon Smith having initially claimed the matter was closed.

"In light of the events of the past 48 hours and following further discussions between the manager and chief executive," said an SFA spokesman, "it has been decided that Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will no longer be considered for international selection by Scotland. This action has been taken in the best interest of the squad, the fans and the country."

It is also understood that both players will not be selected for first-team action again by Rangers when they return from their suspensions. The club will seek to offload Ferguson and McGregor in the summer.

While their involvement in a lengthy drinking session at the Scotland squad hotel last Sunday morning, on their return from the 3-0 World Cup defeat in the Netherlands, saw them dropped by Burley for Wednesday's match against Iceland at Hampden, it was their conduct on the substitutes' bench during the 2-1 win which prompted Walter Smith's intervention.

The Rangers manager was incensed when he saw photographs of Ferguson and McGregor making offensive V-signs. This was despite Smith having contacted both players earlier on Wednesday to tell them to accept their punishment from Scotland and keep a low profile until their return to the club.

"The drinking session in itself was wrong," said Smith. "They are not the first group of Scottish players to do that and it is disappointing that they did do that. But what was more disappointing for me was the subsequent reaction when they were on the bench. I don't think that reflected well on either of them at all and it certainly didn't reflect well on the club.

"I'm disappointed that we are having to take the action we are taking. We don't want to do it, but we have to react to a situation that the club has been put in, in the sense that it is an embarrassment to the club."

Both players issued statements apologising for their conduct and expressing their regret that their international careers are over. Ferguson, whose Rangers contract expires in 2010, may attract attention from Zenit St Petersburg, whose manager Dick Advocaat has expressed his interest in being re-united with his former Ibrox captain.

McGregor is under contract until 2013 and has been monitored by several English clubs.

is this a late April fools day joke. allyuh help mi out nah. i dont understand the stiff sanctions

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
I am confused.
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »
What RUBBISH is this? You would swear they both butchered someone in the middle of the pitch after the match, or at the very least punched their manager in the face, requiring him to have his jaw wired up. Making V signs?? WTH? I'm fed up with how things are blown out of proportion in football, all those authorities act like damn prissy little girls.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:08:54 PM »
HUH ? i still waiting to hear what dey do bad
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
V-sign is like a middle finger in the UK

apparently they went out on a long drinking binge in defiance of national team duty rules and were punished by being dropped from the starting side... while on de bench dey continued the misconduct by flicking v-signs etc to the cameras... it cause an uproar in scotland... behaviour unbecoming and so on
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »
bristish forumites allyuh shed some light.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:04 PM »
I think a V ,represents a chicks legs up,.. by your face is like eat that .............thats what i got from watching Are you being served . ...anyways

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Making the V-sign with the palm facing inwards, often accompanied with an up-and-down motion from the wrist or elbow, is interpreted as a general insult by the British. The origin of this use is very hazy, steeped in myth, and sadly lost in the mists of time. The most often quoted origin, almost certainly apocryphal, dates back to the Battle of Agincourt between the armies of the English and French kings. The English bowmen were an important part of their king's army and the French king decided that any captured English soldier was to have his first two fingers cut off, to prevent him from being able to use a longbow. ...........................................

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
I think a V ,represents a chicks legs up,.. by your face is like eat that .............thats what i got from watching Are you being served . ...anyways

better miss brams than mrs slocum

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »

better miss brams than mrs slocum
Or Mr Humphries  .....mrs slocum is the one with the pussy  rite.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:38:55 AM »
Making the V-sign with the palm facing inwards, often accompanied with an up-and-down motion from the wrist or elbow, is interpreted as a general insult by the British. The origin of this use is very hazy, steeped in myth, and sadly lost in the mists of time. The most often quoted origin, almost certainly apocryphal, dates back to the Battle of Agincourt between the armies of the English and French kings. The English bowmen were an important part of their king's army and the French king decided that any captured English soldier was to have his first two fingers cut off, to prevent him from being able to use a longbow. ...........................................

oh gosh man Freak, if is not u is Bakes.....ah stupid-man like me cyah read de forum without allyuh having to make meh go and open Dictionary.com. No scene, today today ah going and use apocryphal in a sentence, just wait ;D

seriously though, thanks for de explanation, when ah see de big deal dey making ah figured it was like giving de finger.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »
bristish forumites allyuh shed some light.

As someone said, V-sign is like a middle finger. People were in disbelief that their captain would first go drinking and then, to add insult to injury, basically tell everyone to f**k off just 3 days later.

Having said that, Ferguson will play for Scotland again. He is too important and this is too minor for him to really be banned for life (McGregor is irrelevant, he is a fringe player). Fans were vex with Ferguson, but not that vex. A few apologies, some good performances for Rangers and he will be back in de mix.

And there's no chance of Rangers selling him unless he wants to leave, he is a legend there.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »

If allyuh want to see a boss depiction of the Battle of Agincourt, check out Kenneth Branagh's version of Henry V (1990)... de way dem arrows was raining on de frenchies was no joke.

Fyzo see... no $5 dollar words,  ;D

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »

from what i've read the French had the middle and index finger cut off from the english bowmen so that they were unable the "pluck the yew". That's the term i believe of actually drawing and releasing the arrow. The action is "plucking the yew"

As a result whenever the english would be in eye distance the French would raise the middle and index finger as an insult to the English to suggest they were unable to "pluck the yew"

As the years went by it somehow changed to just the middle finger and the "plucking of the yew" was scaled down to just "F*ck You"

Hence the origins on the insult with the fingers  8)

:beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
Marv u need 2 talk 2 yuh boi Ferguson. Ban 4 lie for an insult  ???
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 01:58:22 PM »
I was speaking to my cousin in London. While it's not as common as the middle it is basically saying "F-off" and in the fairly conservative nature of the British it's insulting.

I think they will follow through with the ban (at least short term), it'll be too much trouble to reneg on it without a plausible reason. Reputation counts for a lot and how can they be taken serious if they don't follow through?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 02:09:32 PM »
That's why this world is so f**k up,people waste so much valuable time on shitt when there's so much needed to do in this world other than sweatin the small stuff.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
That's why this world is so f**k up,people waste so much valuable time on shitt when there's so much needed to do in this world other than sweatin the small stuff.

saga u didnt have to say all ah that, u coulda jus put ah V sign and we woulda knw what u mean :D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 07:36:28 PM »

saga u didnt have to say all ah that, u coulda jus put ah V sign and we woulda knw what u mean :D

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
allyuh could believe dis? Scots fans may forgive Gers pair
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:16:18 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7996082.stm

Scots fans may forgive Gers pair

Tartan Army spokesman Hamish Husband says Scotland fans would welcome Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor back to the national team if they apologised.

The Rangers players were given lifetime bans from the national team for making rude gestures before the World Cup qualifying win over Iceland.

The Scottish FA said it had taken the step after receiving many complaints from angry fans.

"There is always a way back and that's by showing contrition," said Husband.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith later qualified the terms of the punishment meted out to goalkeeper McGregor and former Scotland captain Ferguson.

When asked four days after the sanction was imposed if they could ever play for Scotland again, Smith said: "I can't answer that."

However, he did add that the ban will stand under the current SFA regime.

Husband says, despite the public outcry, there is a way both players could be accepted back by both the fans and the SFA.

"I believe the SFA is leaving the door open and it's up to them to show that they are really, really sorry. They haven't done that yet," Husband said.

"I'm not sure George Burley would have them back, but I think the fans would have them back.

"They should offer a proper apology and then vow to be the best players they can be.

"What the players have to do is face up to the fans and admit they have let both their club and their country down."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7996082.stm

Published: 2009/04/12 17:42:11 GMT

© BBC MMIX
Shut up Sven...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 08:36:47 AM »
Dey calm down I C

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
SFA Stand Firm

The SFA don't see this as "small stuff". Truth be told I can't say I see discipline as small stuff either.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
SFA Stand Firm

The SFA don't see this as "small stuff". Truth be told I can't say I see discipline as small stuff either.

The ban will be gone in less than a year. Once Scotland collect a blowout or 2, Barry Ferguson will be back in d midfield in no time. The fans want him back and the manager needs him back. At the end of the day, the SFA are just administrators.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
Yup, Scotland willing to ban their captain and one of their best players for insulting the crowd but we defend Stern for cussing all of we in the Guatemala game.

(cue Berris)
 :devil:
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
Ferguson's suspension at Rangers has turned out to be great news for U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu.

Edu has taken his place in the starting lineup and has two goals in the last three games!

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4597
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »
Ferguson's suspension at Rangers has turned out to be great news for U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu.

Edu has taken his place in the starting lineup and has two goals in the last three games!

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4597

WHO CARES??!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
SFA Stand Firm

The ban will be gone in less than a year. Once Scotland collect a blowout or 2, Barry Ferguson will be back in d midfield in no time. The fans want him back and the manager needs him back. At the end of the day, the SFA are just administrators.

You are marginalising the role of the SFA and the severity (to the SFA) of the players' actions. These countries have proven that they are willing to lose without indisciplined players. The game is bigger than the individual, unlike us with our small island mentality where we aren't accusotmed to good players or discipline and will overlook major infractions just for a result. If the players become eligible for selection it will not simply be because Scotland get licks.

1]; } ?>