April 16, 2024, 03:30:00 PM

Author Topic: Squad Selection: Soca Warriors  (Read 1693 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Squad Selection: Soca Warriors
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
The mantra coming from the Camp has been, "We still have 7 games to play" .... which is true, but given the performances from the last 20 mins versus El Salvador, thru the Honduras game and last Wednesday's USA debacle, do we even stand a chance? - given that we have CR x2, Mexico x2 and Honduras IN Honduras.

Is it just tactics that we got wrong, or players are just not capable? I don't think we can just pick a squad anymore. We have to pick a squad that tactically matches up well against the opposition in all positions. The exploitation down the flanks were so obvious from the beginning that even the commentators were telling the viewers where to look for the action before the game had started. It was an easy deficiency to spot, and it was exploited all game.

We have an abundance of midfielders, so I'll leave that alone. I think our major deficiences has been in defence and our impotent strikers.

1. DEFENCE - where we need the most help.

Wolfe, Hislop and Akile Edwards are being made the scape-goats, and even though they had poor games - they are good players - maybe just not ready for this level of the game. They definitely aren't ready for Concacaf.

Sancho, Avery & Cyd. Much has been made of their age and their tendency to fade as the game goes on. Undoubtedly they have more technical ability than Wolfe, Hislop & Edwards. As for speed, strength & physicality, the older group is more proficient.
Maybe we need to draft these discarded players into a CAMP, not the final squad - and have them compete for places. Even if the staff is determined to continue with the young blood, there is alot that they can learn from training with the veterans.

MLS has started, so we should be able to guage the performance of Julius James & Yohance Marshall. Based on Wednesday's performance, these two might have been able to cope better with the Americans because they train with, and play against them and are well acclimatised.

Should we be looking at the defenders from the U-20 WC Squad?
Should we look to covert some midfield players in defenders? a la Carlos Edwards & a fit, confident Spann?

2. FORWARDS

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think that Kenwyne Jones should be invited for the next qualifier. If his club & country's coaches are already saying that he is tired and it's affecting his performance as he hits the most crucial stretch of action during the year - then what's going to happen at the end of the season?
He hasn't been firing for his club lately, and he's definitely not doing it for his country. I don't even know if his style of play even fits the T&T Squad because with a defensive minded squad, you need to be able to control and hold up the ball at the front to allow for the mids to advance and support - and with a horrendous first touch, and the inability to control under pressure - it doesn't give us a chance to even relieve pressure at the back.
KJ thrives on quality delivery that require nudges, headers, deflections or touches from him onto goal. We simply can't give him that because our midfielders play so deeply to help out our defence.

Stern John quieted his critics last game.

Jason Scotland needs more playing time. He has not been given a fair chance and as many minutes up front. He should get them, since he shouldn't have any problems choosing between Swansea and TT come the next round of qualifiers in June, since the Championship will be over. Let's hope he doesn't ask to be rested.

Cornell Glenn I don't know why he's not in the squad. If he were to pack up his bags and quit on TT, not many could fault him. The guy has consistently played his heart out and give 115% to TT when he's on the field. I think it's a slap in his face not to even have him in the squad.

Scott Sealy & Darryl Roberts I don't think these two get enough credit. Scott Sealy terrorized MLS defences - some of the same players that make up the US defence. Darryl Roberts just can't seem to stop scoring - no matter where he goes. He's done it for club and country. IMO, these two can start ahead of KJ presently.

U-20 WC Squad Strikers Should absolutely be training with this team. We saw it with Dwight Yorke and Anthony Sherwood, who were actually part of The Strike Squad, but that generously benefitted them and the team's fortunes on the road to Portugal.

We're quick to blame administrators for results - but it's not them who play the game, it's the players.
Let's get our squad right, and move on.

LETS GO WARRIORS!!!
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Selection: Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:30:29 AM »
good post.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
acb...if we not to blame the administrators, who selected the players??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »

quite true: which one's first? - chicken or the egg?

however, I don't see how anyone can blame the administrators for Kenwyne Jones poor touches - or other teams for marking him out of the game. For all good intentions, no one knew that Akile Edwards would allow Jozy Altidore to abuse him like that.

So, do we just blame coaches for improper tactics - or do we hold the players accountable for not elevating their game?

From the outside, it looks like these players are being given everything possible that they need. They even have a coach that persistently picks a squad that confuses the hell out of everyone, but still gives players the opportunity to prove themselves at this level.
If the players are not embracing that challenge, we have to change the players - because even if we change the coach, the player pool isn't increasing immediately - unless we do like Jamaica and import talent.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »
Ok here we go fightin' and scrapin' again to reach South Africa 2010.
Players assembled in 4-5-1 fashion for display, mainly to emphasize the need for a creative mid that the 4-4-2 tends not to highlight. Dis is de training pool. An extra winger or stopper is probably needed to created a safe pool. Latas and Matas take note.  ;D  Btw ah feel Toussaint, with his excellent ball control and touch is more important than we realize and Darryl is de future.

Ince, Marvin and Jan

Keyeno, Sancho          Tallest, Julius

Cyd, Spann, Power                                          Avery, N. Daniel, (Primus?)

Birch, Hyland,Theobald           Yorke, Leon, Telesford

Carlos, Baptiste               Guerra, Latas, Toussaint            Collin Samuel,  Scotland, Daniel

Glen, Stern, Jones, Roberts, Mc Farlane
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:11:40 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »
THE DEFENSE MUST  INCLUDE THE LIKES OF JULIUS JAMES; SANCHO AVERY JOHN MARVIN ANDREWS!!!
Tough rugged experience speed.

THE OFFENCE: must include formidable strikers, attacking wings, finishers,  and men who could run all game at the opposing defense.

THE MIDFIELDERS; NEED WORK BIG TIMES!!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:00:06 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »

quite true: which one's first? - chicken or the egg?

however, I don't see how anyone can blame the administrators for Kenwyne Jones poor touches - or other teams for marking him out of the game. For all good intentions, no one knew that Akile Edwards would allow Jozy Altidore to abuse him like that.

So, do we just blame coaches for improper tactics - or do we hold the players accountable for not elevating their game?

From the outside, it looks like these players are being given everything possible that they need. They even have a coach that persistently picks a squad that confuses the hell out of everyone, but still gives players the opportunity to prove themselves at this level.
If the players are not embracing that challenge, we have to change the players - because even if we change the coach, the player pool isn't increasing immediately - unless we do like Jamaica and import talent.

How could you suggest that no one knew Akile was gonna get abused?  He had a tough time with Dempsey last time they met...

I have to agree with Brownsugar .. the coaches to a large degree are the ones who bear the responsibility for the results. It was so evident that too many players looked out ouf their dept on Wednesday. Out of the 8 players that made up the mid field and defense, only 3-4 of them looked relatively comfortable in their roles. Maybe we had too much inexperience on the field. Beenie (who most of us will agree is a very good coach) at times would only start/play 1, 2  or maybe 3local pros at a time.

In picking the next squad, we could consider a better mix .. youth and experience. These young players are our future so i'm not knocking anybody.

With the squad selection, will be interesting to see in Darryl Roberts, Colin Samuel, Spann, Marvin get the phone call. Would like the see Roberts in an attacking role and Spann at right mid and Carlos as right back.... he has the engine to overlap and can even provide crosses from deeper. I'm happy with the strikers we have, maybe Glenn for Scotland this time around .. It was ridiculous having Stern, Scotland and KJ on the field at the same time ...all of those things were just like the other .. no one was different...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:42:24 PM by College »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
I just hope ASAP after d season all manjack in a camp. If d goat still around d first 16 who turn upon d 06'06 could play.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
The mantra coming from the Camp has been, "We still have 7 games to play" .... which is true, but given the performances from the last 20 mins versus El Salvador, thru the Honduras game and last Wednesday's USA debacle, do we even stand a chance? - given that we have CR x2, Mexico x2 and Honduras IN Honduras.

Is it just tactics that we got wrong, or players are just not capable? I don't think we can just pick a squad anymore. We have to pick a squad that tactically matches up well against the opposition in all positions. The exploitation down the flanks were so obvious from the beginning that even the commentators were telling the viewers where to look for the action before the game had started. It was an easy deficiency to spot, and it was exploited all game.

We have an abundance of midfielders, so I'll leave that alone. I think our major deficiences has been in defence and our impotent strikers.

1. DEFENCE - where we need the most help.

Wolfe, Hislop and Akile Edwards are being made the scape-goats, and even though they had poor games - they are good players - maybe just not ready for this level of the game. They definitely aren't ready for Concacaf.

Sancho, Avery & Cyd. Much has been made of their age and their tendency to fade as the game goes on. Undoubtedly they have more technical ability than Wolfe, Hislop & Edwards. As for speed, strength & physicality, the older group is more proficient.
Maybe we need to draft these discarded players into a CAMP, not the final squad - and have them compete for places. Even if the staff is determined to continue with the young blood, there is alot that they can learn from training with the veterans.

MLS has started, so we should be able to guage the performance of Julius James & Yohance Marshall. Based on Wednesday's performance, these two might have been able to cope better with the Americans because they train with, and play against them and are well acclimatised.

Should we be looking at the defenders from the U-20 WC Squad?
Should we look to covert some midfield players in defenders? a la Carlos Edwards & a fit, confident Spann?

2. FORWARDS

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think that Kenwyne Jones should be invited for the next qualifier. If his club & country's coaches are already saying that he is tired and it's affecting his performance as he hits the most crucial stretch of action during the year - then what's going to happen at the end of the season?
He hasn't been firing for his club lately, and he's definitely not doing it for his country. I don't even know if his style of play even fits the T&T Squad because with a defensive minded squad, you need to be able to control and hold up the ball at the front to allow for the mids to advance and support - and with a horrendous first touch, and the inability to control under pressure - it doesn't give us a chance to even relieve pressure at the back.
KJ thrives on quality delivery that require nudges, headers, deflections or touches from him onto goal. We simply can't give him that because our midfielders play so deeply to help out our defence.

Stern John quieted his critics last game.

Jason Scotland needs more playing time. He has not been given a fair chance and as many minutes up front. He should get them, since he shouldn't have any problems choosing between Swansea and TT come the next round of qualifiers in June, since the Championship will be over. Let's hope he doesn't ask to be rested.

Cornell Glenn I don't know why he's not in the squad. If he were to pack up his bags and quit on TT, not many could fault him. The guy has consistently played his heart out and give 115% to TT when he's on the field. I think it's a slap in his face not to even have him in the squad.

Scott Sealy & Darryl Roberts I don't think these two get enough credit. Scott Sealy terrorized MLS defences - some of the same players that make up the US defence. Darryl Roberts just can't seem to stop scoring - no matter where he goes. He's done it for club and country. IMO, these two can start ahead of KJ presently.

U-20 WC Squad Strikers Should absolutely be training with this team. We saw it with Dwight Yorke and Anthony Sherwood, who were actually part of The Strike Squad, but that generously benefitted them and the team's fortunes on the road to Portugal.

We're quick to blame administrators for results - but it's not them who play the game, it's the players.
Let's get our squad right, and move on.

LETS GO WARRIORS!!!
:beermug: :beermug:

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
I just hope ASAP after d season all manjack in a camp. If d goat still around d first 16 who turn upon d 06'06 could play.
You still talking bout he! if that man still around for the next game , then i not watching, supporting, and i don't even want tuh hear nutten bout the hex WC and T&T in the same breath.

as a matter of fact i may limit the amount of time i spend on the forum, i don't even watch sunderland no more fuss ah tired of losing teams. that man cost me so much greif it ain't funny.

i will not even get tuh see us in the GC BC of his stoubon ways!!! all who still want tuh support that, then good for them, if allyuh like beating ah ded horse then be my guest. fack him i want him gone.

BTW weary and brown sugar i eh even get ah response to what i suggested bout the protest. wham allyuh is warriors in name alone or what! @ least say sumtin!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>