March 28, 2024, 10:46:26 PM

Author Topic: Let's talk Audio/Visual  (Read 4763 times)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let's talk Audio/Visual
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
I see we have a full thread on Movies so I feel we could start talking Audio/Visual. I into real sound and visual movie effects so I have been constantly upgrading my system for the greater effect. Currently own two receivers one in the living room and the second will probably go in my bedroom acting as a relay from the Living Room receiver. In the process of throwing out another amplifier and Subwoofer that just taking up space in my closet, from the day I bought it, it never worked so outside I think it would go. System is originally $2500 selling for around $600-$800 right now but the ting never wuk so I eh feeling like (paying for shipping and labour/parts) sending it to fix.

Today I put the new receiver to it's first test with Death Race( starring Jason Statham/Tyrese Gibson).  Thing sound awesome, it beat my older system by miles like Ben Johnson vs Carl Lewis ;D. I smile too bad when I hear the effects from them engines.

Pull out the Dark Knight after that to hear some effects that I may have missed on the older system. Had to turn down the volume because the lows was seriously causing a disturbance to the other neighbours. I hear some sounds that I've been missing from the other system. Mids were clear as day.

My older system is about 9 Months old, an Insignia receiver that sounded great when I first set it up in the Home Theatre. At the time that was an upgrade from the older receiver we had, a Sony that was about 4 years. On Thursday last week I got this receiver, a Pioneer VSX1018AH-K, 900watts, 7.1. Tomorrow the speakers get an upgrade, to Klipsch 6.5" floorstanding models, can't wait to hear what things are going to sound like.

Lets hear what we packing in those systems. Check in again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:58:05 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk Audio/Visual
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
Whappen, nobody interested in Surround? Wey all dem movie buffs them? ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
Horse, it looking like yuh on your own.  ;D That stuff is only interesting to me after someone else set up their own. I was in this guy's house and he was trying to explain to me what he did... he might as well have been talking Greek. Didn't have a clue. The sound quality though was almost too real, never heard anything like that in a movie theatre. We were watching a basketball movie and you almost wanted to look around when someone called for a pass. Left just as Troy was starting up and again, it was better than any movie theatre I'd been in.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
I eh go lie.. ah love BIG sound and special effects. Early last yr I went out and spend real coins on ah bess 7.1 system. The works! Then went out and got fTA receiver so was/is real movies. Now I love sound, but not into all the connections etc..so ah fren drop een and did some connections..

- not sure what he did or didn't do, but it was working, so I was cool.
- then I say, wait..I eh think this is all this cud do eh!
- next fren pass een and say, wheys..your sytem real boss, so we started talking.. he say though it was working it was not connected correctly and not with the best wires or cords..whatever.
- so he promised to fall een one of these days and reconnect everything back for me.

The bess part.. my daughter had frens over and I eh sure which one walk out with my converter.. so now I have a boss system and no control. The amp/receiver does have some controls, but not as much fine-tuning buttons as did the converter. yea..ah real vex!

I so vex me eh gone down in that family room in weeks.

I'll go down later when I take a break and let you know what I have down there.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:23:30 AM »
The bess part.. my daughter had frens over and I eh sure which one walk out with my converter.. so now I have a boss system and no control. The amp/receiver does have some controls, but not as much fine-tuning buttons as did the converter. yea..ah real vex!

I so vex me eh gone down in that family room in weeks.

I'll go down later when I take a break and let you know what I have down there.

You mean the remote? ;D

As we go along I will try to explain things a bit so you could get an idea what it is all about.

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
yea, remote.  ;D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »
I real like surround sound
when a show does not have it there is no comparison to a show that has it
but sometimes the sound from the rear speaker does get me  :D :D

yea, remote.  ;D
Jumbie ya check all dem leather sofa ya have for dat remote
dat did happen to me
and I found enough money to buy a big mac ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:07:02 PM by Pavlov »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »
I'm 4 weeks into loving every movie on the Pioneer Elite SC 07. Took me a couple weeks to get the hang of it a bit  and still in the process of understanding all the gadgets.
Took in all the action movies I possibly could and been really impressed by this unit. Pulled out the Lord ofThe Rings a couple days ago for the first time on this sytem and was blown away by the sound effects. I saw it on the older system and it didn't sound as complete as this. Looked at Quantum Of Solace and totally enjoyed it.

Saw some of you guys give it a bad review but I think you got to see this on a good system to really enjoy the happenings.

The scenes that were totally oustanding; The opera concert where the meeting took place. Fantastic sound reproduction. 

The plane shootout and a couple other scenes. 

This movie sound effects were really that good and cannot be appreciated on an inferior television speaker.

Try getting an Audio/Visual receiver I guarantee you'll be looking at movies differently. Look into some online at Amazon

This is what I got. ;D
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/ci.SC-07.Kuro
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:24:22 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:15 PM »
I will post my details later. I have a home theatre setup with the seat and all. Projector old but shows 1080i

recent purchase:

Panamax - 11-Outlet Rack-Mountable Power Conditioner/ Surge Protector
Model: M5100-PM | SKU: 8249415

Improves picture and sound quality from A/V components; automatically resetting surge protection; digital voltmeter
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
I did promise to give some idea on this topic. Here is the first of them

How to Shop for Televisions & Displays
  by Clint DeBoer — last modified August 16, 2007 20:00
 http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/how-to-shop-for-televisions-displays
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:20:44 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
Ok. This is for all those who want to understand all the hoopla about receivers/amplifier 'mumbo jumbo'. This will give you a good idea where to start. I've tried out the Pioneer 1018 and the Onkyo 606. Both are solid performers but I think the Pioneer win out on just allround, better performance.

Blu-ray Audio Explained

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?page_id=1140

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:23:59 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
I will post my details later. I have a home theatre setup with the seat and all. Projector old but shows 1080i

recent purchase:

Panamax - 11-Outlet Rack-Mountable Power Conditioner/ Surge Protector
Model: M5100-PM | SKU: 8249415

Improves picture and sound quality from A/V components; automatically resetting surge protection; digital voltmeter

I would think that is a good buy as all audio equipment need a good power surge protector. They say the joules is what you need to look for. Nothing less than 1550 joules.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:30:22 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Edit: Why aren't the pics showing?
when you copy and paste an article you also have to individually give the link for each picture and then put each in the "insert image" function
hope that helps
or just go to the help section
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:59:10 PM by Werklmann »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
Edit: Why aren't the pics showing?
when you copy and paste an article you also have to individually give the link for each picture and then put each in the "insert image" function
hope that helps
or just go to the help section

I got the setup how I want it now.
It been awhile since I've done that but I just remembered how to hyper link. Thanks. ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:29:28 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
ah family now tell me bout the Netgear 9150 when I asked him about digital media players. basically I'm looking for something that I can upload the movies I have (downloaded to external drive), rather than create dvds and watch on my home system.

I know some of the samsung tvs comes with an input where you can plug in via usb and it will automatically detect the movie and give you the option to play them (like another input source).

I also know that the ps3 and xbox does allow for this as well.. but I'm not a gamer and would prefer to spend the coins on something more specific.

Supposedly the Netgear 9150 upconverts to 1080p.

Any other solutions for playing movies and creating a true media center?

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
I just reviewed it, seems like a nice piece. Currently I own a device(Western Digital Media Player) that takes the media content from an external hard drive to my television that I have not used to its capacity as yet. It cost me about 100.00 flat. To get the device to work you definitely have to get an external drive or just run it from your computer hard drive to your Television. I only tried it out on my music library, have not looked at videos as yet. What I do know, is, it was a bit slow in pulling out the files but still was workable.

The Western Digital Media http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572
Probably one of these days I will check out the video and pics on it.May not be as convenient I would think as the Netgear.

The netgear though may be a bit more funtional.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/04/netgear_eva_9150_digital_entertainer_elite_ships.html

Samsung tv can do that yes but I won't even consider that, just a little too much work. I own the Samsung 750 series and never even considered it an option. 

Like you I'm not agamer and don't own a PS3 so can't say anything on it. Maybe the other gamers on the site may be able to say something on this.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 08:37:25 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:45:57 AM »
This weekend I watched U-571 and was in 'audio utopia'. Talk about being engulf into a movie well Papa you will get your ears filled with the sound effects. Anyone thinking they're going to enjoy this without a good sound system is missing out on alot of terrific sound effects. I was basically licking my chops on juicy sound effects in this.

This is a little elaboration on my experience.http://www.moviesforguys.com/action/reviews/u571.shtml
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
This weekend I watched U-571 and was in 'audio utopia'. Talk about being engulf into a movie well Papa you will get your ears filled with the sound effects. Anyone thinking they're going to enjoy this without a good sound system is missing out on alot of terrific sound effects. I was basically licking my chops on juicy sound effects in this.

This is a little elaboration on my experience.http://www.moviesforguys.com/action/reviews/u571.shtml

One day I tell you... one day.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
pass(10trini)  any recommendations on projectors? This summer I wanted to get a projector device to watch movies while enjoying the nice weather outside, but never got around to doing so.

Any experience with these?

BTW, I eh use my surround system in months.. I kinda forgot it was there. Them kids were home for the summer so I've been held-up in my office for months. X men wolverine looks like it will kick ass on good sound.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
What r u looking for? Expensive or as inexpensive as possible with good pic. I would say under 10feet an inexpensive one should do. I've personally used a Mitsubishi 1600 to decent effect at about 14feet. Epson and Samsung has a nice one around $2000-$3000. You should try and get nothing but 1080p. Also your Screen should be put into the equation. A screen with a 1.3 gain is the most neutral and best suited for average lighting. If your projector is bright you will want to go with a low gain as it will increase blacks, as a result definition will be increased.

Give me a couple hours I will think up of something and do a little research for you.

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 08:06:57 PM »
More info. (to use similar to a drive-in experience)

- use out doors
- something not too expensive
- options for screen (outdoor) or can I display it on a wall of some kind.
- I eh care too much about pic quality, however it can't let me down when friends come over  ;D

basically to use while we're in the hot tub or I chilling in my hammock with ah scotch.

BTW can you connect these things with cable or dish so i cud watch monday nite football?

thx.

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 05:23:54 AM »
Anybody using FLAC Files (Movie/Music Loss less Format) as yet? What about HD Projectors?

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
Okay I'll take back the, ' Nothing but 1080p" statement. It seems like you will be moving it around between Indoors and Out and not concerned with great Picture, so I'll say you better off with a cheap one between $500-$1000. When I built up the Home Theatre for my ex place I used a Mitsubishi 1500, 720p, Projector. It looked fair enough that when the Neighbours came over they gave the, 'WOW', effect. They thought it looked better than the Theatres they've visited. I thought it looked descent, only for the white grainy effect on bright areas of the pic whhich the Audio/Visual World call,'Noise'. Still the picture quality was bright enough in a darkened. Here are a couple others on sale here http://www.pronto.com/user/search.do?displayQuery=mitsubishi%20projectors%20hd&SEM=true&query=mitsubishi%20projectors%20hd&adid=1201607255-6938485d-0_ys&ref={keyword}&creativeid={creative}&site={placement}&OVRAW=mitsubishi%20hd%20projectors&OVKEY=mitsubishi%20hd%20projector&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=16897565512&OVKWID=171458052012&loadingComplete=truehttp://The HC6000 looks like a nice one and also there is the 1600 in there as well
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:21:53 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Anybody using FLAC Files (Movie/Music Loss less Format) as yet? What about HD Projectors?

I've seen Flac but haven't used them as yet. I think it's an amazing little thing. Hd Projectors are a normal thing now.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »
BTW, I eh use my surround system in months.. I kinda forgot it was there. Them kids were home for the summer so I've been held-up in my office for months. X men wolverine looks like it will kick ass on good sound.

I waiting on it to come on BluRay on the 15th. As soon as Netflix bring it out I go check it out. Kick Ass in truth I listened to the Trailer on Blu Ray discs previews and that sound was fantastico. ;D

BTW. Get that sound system warmed up for Wolverine he may tear into it. :devil:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

1]; } ?>