April 29, 2024, 08:53:52 AM

Author Topic: Birchall set to cover for Beckham.  (Read 14616 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Birchall set to cover for Beckham.
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
BBC Sports.

Major League Soccer franchise Los Angeles Galaxy want to draft in Brighton's Chris Birchall as cover for David Beckham, reports BBC Radio Stoke.

The Trinidad and Tobago international has been offered a two-year deal, but it would need him to have his contract terminated by the Seagulls.

The 24-year-old can play on the right or in the centre of midfield, and played in the 2006 World Cup finals. Beckham is on loan at AC Milan until the end of the season.

The England international went on loan to Milan from the MLS club and had been scheduled to return to Galaxy on 9 March but wanted to make a permanent move to the San Siro.

Beckham has now part funded a dual contract between AC Milan and LA Galaxy that allows him to play on in Italy before returning to the United States.

Birchall signed for Coventry City in 2006 for £300,000 from Port Vale where he started his career, and joined Brighton in January on a free transfer.

He played in the crucial 2-1 win at Hereford on Tuesday night, and talked to the club about releasing him from his contract afterwards as they battle relegation.

Birchall was the first white player to represent Trinidad and Tobago and qualifies because his mother was born in Port-of-Spain. He also played in the 3-0 defeat to the United States in Nashville on 2 April.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Birchall set to cover for Beckham.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:50:29 AM »
BBC Sports.

Major League Soccer franchise Los Angeles Galaxy want to draft in Brighton's Chris Birchall as cover for David Beckham, reports BBC Radio Stoke.

The Trinidad and Tobago international has been offered a two-year deal, but it would need him to have his contract terminated by the Seagulls.

The 24-year-old can play on the right or in the centre of midfield, and played in the 2006 World Cup finals. Beckham is on loan at AC Milan until the end of the season.

The England international went on loan to Milan from the MLS club and had been scheduled to return to Galaxy on 9 March but wanted to make a permanent move to the San Siro.

Beckham has now part funded a dual contract between AC Milan and LA Galaxy that allows him to play on in Italy before returning to the United States.

Birchall signed for Coventry City in 2006 for £300,000 from Port Vale where he started his career, and joined Brighton in January on a free transfer.

He played in the crucial 2-1 win at Hereford on Tuesday night, and talked to the club about releasing him from his contract afterwards as they battle relegation.

Birchall was the first white player to represent Trinidad and Tobago and qualifies because his mother was born in Port-of-Spain. He also played in the 3-0 defeat to the United States in Nashville on 2 April.

Didn't the Seagull team say dey doh want MeMum to leave??
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:35:32 AM »
But Birchall only signed an end of season contract with Brighton which ends very soon. It shouldn't be a problem to get his current contract terminated unless Brighton wants to give him a 2 year deal.

Brighton has been good to him so far and I hope Birchall leave on good terms (if he have to), he have to look after his own interest and a 2 year contract with LA should be ok, money wise. But what happens after ? clubs in Europe hardly import MLS players.

My question is, if Birchall goes to LA when Beckham returns what will happen to Birchall.

Maybe he is not as good as Beckham is, but hopefully he will be better than him oneday.

Good luck 'Me Mum' you are more than Beckham to us.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:42:34 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:43:47 AM »
I think Birchall needs to find a club where he is playing consistently.  And, why does LA want him only as cover for Beckham? I think Birchall should make the move to MLS only if he can't find better options in the UK.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:21:34 AM »
But cover for Beckham means that when Becks comes back from Milan and plays til November, Birchs learns his trade alongside a great and somebody he is very similar to in terms of style of play. When Becks leaves in November, Birchall steps in to fill that breach.

It is a GREAT move for Birchall to be playing and learning from Becks. But it is a bad move for us cause he will be not playing from June til November....right through the rest of our games.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »
he better off in LA , them british clubs like dey doh like him.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:30:17 AM »
he better off in LA , them british clubs like dey doh like him.
true, and it seems like he plays better in warm weather places.  Free Birchie!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
But cover for Beckham means that when Becks comes back from Milan and plays til November, Birchs learns his trade alongside a great and somebody he is very similar to in terms of style of play. When Becks leaves in November, Birchall steps in to fill that breach.

:o  ???

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:40:12 AM »
Can't dribble, hustles, high work rate and uses long balls a lot, plays RM or CM.

The quality is different, the style is the same.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:59:01 AM »

It is a GREAT move for Birchall to be playing and learning from Becks. But it is a bad move for us cause he will be not playing from June til November....right through the rest of our games.

correct.

and if he gets commendation/ recommendation from Beckham, things can get better and brighter for Me Mum.
Remember, he's still young and there's still time for him to move to a big club - training will Beckham will sharpen his skills, mental approach and look quite nice on his playing resume.

Again, the weather and women will be well worth it.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:10 AM »

The MLS season ends in November so if he is backup for Beckham he not going to play at all unless Beckham gets hurt.  How is that a good move for Birchall?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
U didn't read my post, did u?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
the only concern here is how MLS is throw players away like used tampons when they eh see no more use for them. they particularly unkind to non-americans. dat happen to nuff trini who gone MLS.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
the only concern here is how MLS is throw players away like used tampons when they eh see no more use for them. they particularly unkind to non-americans. dat happen to nuff trini who gone MLS.

Birchall blonde horse. Makes just a little difference in USA   ::)
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »
Dey come back with this first white player bizness again.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
I really hope he ends up in LA.
Hart for president

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:48 PM »
If he is a discovery player he wouldn't take up an international slot and they will have money under their cap once Becks gone, so he have a chance. Plus I trust Arena to actually be building something

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I doh like the career path birchie following it's not .... emphasizing longevity ....... a career in the mls for a foreigner is by no means long term ....why is he struggling in his homeland so whats going on?

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
Birchie seems to be a very dedicated player. I remember him talking about putting hours with his shooting practice. If he put in time with Becks in training he will develop even further. The only for a player to improve is to play with better players. Is only he can decide if he wants to move away from family and friends and  how much of an opportunity this really is for him

On a side note is it me or has his passing improved? He is still not the greatest but to me, when given an outlet after winning the ball he actually makes the pass.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
Cover for Beckham, that is a BIIIG endorsement of Memum's talent.
Hope it works out for him, but I want to see him playing consistently.
BTW, he must be happy to see Mats back.
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »
Birch is #1 as far as my respect for TnT players go just based on my perception of him.......knowing the dynamics of American culture.......especially sports.......I believe he will strive over here and be greatly appreciated by the fans.......enough ah dis bouncing arrung on d bench shit

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
let's just see what brighton does... i have a feeling seeing that there is good demand for him they will reconsider him as an asset and try to keep him after this season... i think the galaxy move would be great tho... arena probably tired see him terrorising the midfields and defenses and even offenses of concacaf... even if the idea is to have him cover for becks remember he is quite versatile and may well take up another midfield role even when becks returns from milan... in the opening of the usa game he took the ball from a US player made a little run to b4 the halfway line then send a diagonal laser to an open carlos 50m or so off... the thing was friggin accurate carlos was on the run during the counter and hardly had to change his pace... it look like what u would expect from beckham... chris would do alot more running, tackling and hussling than him so that would really help him if he heads to LA... if he does i hope he does well enuff to bench becks.lol

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
Wouldn't this move be a step up in the level he is playing at now?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »
Wouldn't this move be a step up in the level he is playing at now?
I'd say MLS and League One are on par with each other.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
Gillie Face,
                I aint too sure about the comparison between Ligue and MLS. Ligue 1 may not be top dog in Euro, but I think they have better players than MLS. Which MLS better than Lyon, Monaco, PSG, Marselle?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
Yes We Can MeMum!!!!!  ;D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »
Gillie Face,
                I aint too sure about the comparison between Ligue and MLS. Ligue 1 may not be top dog in Euro, but I think they have better players than MLS. Which MLS better than Lyon, Monaco, PSG, Marselle?
I'm quite sure that he's talking about the English League 1 (as in 3rd division), and not the French Ligue 1 here.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »
I sincerely apologize dey, breds!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
like blighton supporters doh like birchall?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/4279058.Albion_plan_talks_on_Birchall_s_future/

e.g. mycatlookslikezamora, Hassocks says...
10:35am Thu 9 Apr 09
Let him go...what an eejit Burchill is. It wasn't that long ago when the Argus was reporting that he was 'begging Adams' for a deal...and he now wants to bog off to LA..let him go, I say he ain't all that!!

Report this post »

wiltshire seagull, DEVIZES says...
11:14am Thu 9 Apr 09
2 posts "mycatlookslikezamor
a", now thats just plain greedy lol. What's Birchall done for us, zero IMO? Let him go as long as BHA get lots of Compensation.

Report this post »

WS, London says...
11:16am Thu 9 Apr 09
What does it say about David Beckham that they see Chris Birchall as a replacement. Ouch!...

1]; } ?>