April 18, 2024, 12:19:27 AM

Author Topic: Warner: He's on trial run.  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Warner: He's on trial run.
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:40:16 AM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Russell Latapy's stint as Trinidad and Tobago head coach could very well end in a week if he fails to get immediate results.

Forty-year-old Latapy was appointed on Wednesday following the resignation of Colombian Francisco Maturana and the former Porto and Boavista midfielder will have his first two matches in charge two months away as T&T continue their 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

First, the Soca Warriors host Costa Rica on June 6 and are then away to Mexico on June 10.

Yesterday, Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) special adviser Jack Warner gave a mixed reaction to Latapy's appointment.

"You can never have total confidence," Warner said. "What you can have is hope and you have to have commitment. At the end of the day, Latapy should know more about these players than anybody else because he has lived with them and so on. And it is our belief that we should give him a trial run, so to speak, that is why it is an interim appointment."

Warner indicated that the "Little Magician" will have just a few matches to make his mark as head coach before a new appointment is made.

The FIFA vice-president made the remarks yesterday at a b-mobile-sponsored sporting symposium at Cascadia Hotel, where he was the feature speaker.

"I am very optimistic that he shall do well. We shall take it from match to match and see what happens," Warner declared. "We have told Latapy that he has whatever technical assistance that he needs. He has whatever players he needs and if as he goes along, if he feels he needs help he will get it. If he feels he needs the help of the Jabloteh coach, we will do that. Latapy must decide that from his own judgement."

With just two points from three matches, Trinidad and Tobago are bottom of the six teams in CONCACAF'S World Cup qualifying series.

Under Maturana, the Soca Warriors drew with El Salvador (2-2) and Honduras (1-1) and suffered a 3-0 defeat to the United States last week.

But Warner believes there is still a lot of time to get T&T into a better position.

"We are 100 per cent better off than we were four years ago. Four years ago, we had one point, now we have two points, and therefore I have no reason to lose faith or lose hope."

Warner also felt it was the right time to change coaches. And he dismissed the idea that Latapy's presence on the technical staff as assistant coach-player since January might have undermined Maturana and inevitably led to the Colombian's resignation.

"We struggled to play against Bermuda, remember, that is a team we beat every Monday morning. We went for the Gold Cup and didn't qualify, remember, for the first time in many years. Latapy was not around in those days. So therefore to bring Latapy and talk about intimidation was not fair to either Latapy or Mr Maturana.

"I can only say what he (Maturana) told us at the meeting yesterday (Wednesday) and it amounted to a technical disconnect between him and the players, and he felt that staying with them longer would serve no useful purpose.

"He did say that we have to try and heal the division within the team because that division mitigates against a unified team. And he was telling us there is a division between the locally-based players and the overseas-based players, and the locally-based players feel threatened when the overseas-based players come. And therefore we have to find ways and means to heal it," Warner concluded.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dspfootballer

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner: He's on trial run.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:52:18 AM »
What is Latas plan to address TNT defensive strategy?

Please, NO MORE South American Coaches for TNT in the near term.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:23:42 AM »

So you go pass on Scolari? ???

I glad is a trial run. Cuz thats a huge risk putting someone who never coached before

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:39:04 AM »
Never was a big fan of Scolari... Bring Klinsman

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 05:41:05 AM »
Why a trail run ??? see how people eh care about our football......
Why they just don't bring in an experienced coach if you want to gamble why gamble on latapy?, ... he know we eh making that next world cup if we lorse against costa rica and a revamped re energized  Mexico away that is it we finished ....

this article cannot be right!!!

But Warner believes there is still a lot of time to get T&T into a better position.

"We are 100 per cent better off than we were four years ago. Four years ago, we had one point, now we have two points, and therefore I have no reason to lose faith or lose hope."

we had panama and guatemala last time but lets not dwell on the past to much  ... Beating honduras  away  well

"We struggled to play against Bermuda, remember, that is a team we beat every Monday morning. We went for the Gold Cup and didn't qualify, remember, for the first time in many years. 

So why yuh wait so long to fire him!!!Jack he could deflect blame
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:08:20 AM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »

So you go pass on Scolari? ???

I glad is a trial run. Cuz thats a huge risk putting someone who never coached before

boss if we lorse them two games that is it !!!!! bye bye 2010
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:26:32 AM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

"He did say that we have to try and heal the division within the team because that division mitigates against a unified team. And he was telling us there is a division between the locally-based players and the overseas-based players, and the locally-based players feel threatened when the overseas-based players come. And therefore we have to find ways and means to heal it," Warner concluded.

This is a serious issue and one my brother indicated a long time ago.  This has to be resolved.  Chemistry is something we must have and Latas must find a way for both the foreign and local players to co-exist.  If there is no chemistry, we eh going no way because we just not physically good enough to win on talent alone.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:30:21 AM »
If he feels he needs the help of the Jabloteh coach, we will do that. Latapy must decide that from his own judgement."

Wow...that is a statement that speaks volumes to me  :devil:...does that mean that Jack would actually have Fenwick be involved in the National team...what a change in thinking..huh ;)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:35:43 AM »
If he feels he needs the help of the Jabloteh coach, we will do that. Latapy must decide that from his own judgement."

Wow...that is a statement that speaks volumes to me  :devil:...does that mean that Jack would actually have Fenwick be involved in the National team...what a change in thinking..huh ;)

da was d highlight of d article fuh me

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:40:05 AM »

Wow...that is a statement that speaks volumes to me  :devil:...does that mean that Jack would actually have Fenwick be involved in the National team...what a change in thinking..huh ;)

jack the politician

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 06:52:48 AM »
I haven't said anything on the subject up until now so here are my thoughts:

1) Latapy's coaching resume seems a little thin to be given the huge responsibility of coaching the National Team, especially as we are already behind the 8-ball with regards to our qualifying.

2) How is Latapy going to function with Warner's threat to fire him if he doesn't produce immediate results? He seems to be able to handle the pressure. However from the standpoint of the team, would he be able to take the necessary steps to assess the strengths and weaknesses of our current crop of players given the time pressure he is under?

3) Even if we fail to qualify for next year's tournament, I hope that Latapy can encourage Jack Warner and the other powers that be that the way forward for our football is increased private support in the form of sponsorship of our club teams and improved training facilities at our local grounds. This last point is especially important as it would help our local-based players to develop further.

4) Related to the last point, Latapy has to do whatever he can to impress upon the powers that be the importance of playing friendlies against ESTABLISHED international opposition. Playing against a club teams will only take us so far. Jack has enough clout in international football to make that happen. Look how he manage to arrange for England play us at the HCS. Love him or hate him de man have status in world football and he should be using that to help out our team as much as he can.

So that's all I have to say on Latapy's appointment.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
Never was a big fan of Scolari... Bring Klinsman

T&T perceived weaknesses is defending and you say bring Klinsman  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 07:03:58 AM »
Latas should bring Fenwick on board immediately ,we need the brightest minds in the country to help us out of this mess .

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »
As usual Mr. Warner's utterings have left me totally confused.....

Yesterday, Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) special adviser Jack Warner gave a mixed reaction to Latapy's appointment.

"You can never have total confidence," Warner said. "What you can have is hope and you have to have commitment. At the end of the day, Latapy should know more about these players than anybody else because he has lived with them and so on. And it is our belief that we should give him a trial run, so to speak, that is why it is an interim appointment."

Eh??  You pick ah coach yuh eh have total confidence in Mr. Warner??  Yuh have hope??  Yuh name Obama??

Warner indicated that the "Little Magician" will have just a few matches to make his mark as head coach before a new appointment is made.

"I am very optimistic that he shall do well. We shall take it from match to match and see what happens," Warner declared. "We have told Latapy that he has whatever technical assistance that he needs. He has whatever players he needs and if as he goes along, if he feels he needs help he will get it.

Which matches??  The Costa Rica and Mexico matches??  If we eh get de desired results it's all over Mr. Warner.   You of all people should know that your cash cow goh dry up if we eh get de desired result....
And on de Jabloteh coach thing, you really feel you could fool people with yuh forked tongue yes.  Why yuh just didn't hire Fenwick and done if he could be sooooooo helpful....steups

"We struggled to play against Bermuda, remember, that is a team we beat every Monday morning. We went for the Gold Cup and didn't qualify, remember, for the first time in many years. Latapy was not around in those days. So therefore to bring Latapy and talk about intimidation was not fair to either Latapy or Mr Maturana.

You now realise this??  I feel your foray into the world of politics make yuh take yuh eye off the ball on dis one yes...literally, ah mean yuh now factoring Bermuda and Gold Cup into de mix.....Jackula yuh ah day late and a dollar short....steups

Friggin clown, no wonder we football in a mess....once again Mr. Jackula we are in this position because of you.  At the end of the day it all comes back to you.  But doh tell dat to people like my cousin who, like many others in this land, think that you are the best thing since sliced bread....

Double ssssstttteeeuuuuupppssss!!!!

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »
This article shows that Warner has very little knowledge of coaching and what it takes to build a team.
This is typical of most administrators in football. If the T&TFF themselves were to be judged in the same way we will have a new administration every month.
If Warner had said "we will evaluate the performance of the team and the make a decision." Then that would be acceptable, because a team can perform very well and lose. This is certainly a case where I hope Latas proves lucky rather than good in the earlies.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 07:15:50 AM »

2) How is Latapy going to function with Warner's threat to fire him if he doesn't produce immediate results? He seems to be able to handle the pressure. However from the standpoint of the team, would he be able to take the necessary steps to assess the strengths and weaknesses of our current crop of players given the time pressure he is under? 

for the 2002 worldcup run latapy and yorke could not carry the load !!!! and resign after being dropped by simoes

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 07:19:46 AM »
This article shows that Warner has very little knowledge of coaching and what it takes to build a team.
This is typical of most administrators in football. If the T&TFF themselves were to be judged in the same way we will have a new administration every month.
If Warner had said "we will evaluate the performance of the team and the make a decision." Then that would be acceptable, because a team can perform very well and lose. This is certainly a case where I hope Latas proves lucky rather than good in the earlies.
very well said

for the 2002 worldcup run latapy and yorke could not carry the load !!!! and resign after being dropped by simoes
they were dropped for missing a practise...at least that was the official word at that time
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:24:18 AM by Ishikawa »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:23:07 AM »
Two very striking ideas from Jack made my hair stand up

Oh Jah did Jack finally see the light

1. "We have told Latapy that he has whatever technical assistance that he needs
2 He has whatever players he needs and if as he goes along, if he feels he needs help he will get it. If he feels he needs the help of the Jabloteh coach, we will do that. Latapy must decide that from his own judgement

Will Latas test his reslove  ???
Would we see a return of Sancho and will Fenwick be added to the mix

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:27:33 AM »

2 He has whatever players he needs and if as he goes along, if he feels he needs help he will get it. If he feels he needs the help of the Jabloteh coach, we will do that. Latapy must decide that from his own judgement

You good yes, I goh believe these things when they manifest themselves.....after all is Jack we talking bout here....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:32 AM »
I haven't said anything on the subject up until now so here are my thoughts:

1) Latapy's coaching resume seems a little thin to be given the huge responsibility of coaching the National Team, especially as we are already behind the 8-ball with regards to our qualifying.

3) Even if we fail to qualify for next year's tournament, I hope that Latapy can encourage Jack Warner and the other powers that be that the way forward for our football is increased private support in the form of sponsorship of our club teams and improved training facilities at our local grounds. This last point is especially important as it would help our local-based players to develop further.

4) Related to the last point, Latapy has to do whatever he can to impress upon the powers that be the importance of playing friendlies against ESTABLISHED international opposition. Playing against a club teams will only take us so far. Jack has enough clout in international football to make that happen. Look how he manage to arrange for England play us at the HCS. Love him or hate him de man have status in world football and he should be using that to help out our team as much as he can.

So that's all I have to say on Latapy's appointment.
yeah me ent say nothing yet but i agree with what you saying
i wonder what the priority is..getting to South Africa do or die..or let him play round with management to get some experience?
i think Latas was calling the shots the last fews games..if so this not going to turn out nice  ;)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »
very well said

they were dropped for missing a practise...at least that was the official word at that time

yes and in an interview after they talked about the pressure of WCQ etc but  say wha !!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:36:50 AM by Trini _2010 »

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 07:37:31 AM »
He said it and I know is Jack we dealing with

The way I see this is Jack may be willing to do whatever it takes for us to get to SA,as a FIFA VP,its very important for and to him that we be there,hear this Jack done calculate the money he could make from our qualification... :rotfl:...to Jack its all about money and power

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:31 AM »
very well said

yes and in an interview after they talked about the pressure of WCQ etc but  say wha !!!
ok fair enough
but a question....
how old were they and how much traveling did they have to do then
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
He said it and I know is Jack we dealing with

The way I see this is Jack may be willing to do whatever it takes for us to get to SA,as a FIFA VP,its very important for and to him that we be there,hear this Jack done calculate the money he could make from our qualification... :rotfl:...to Jack its all about money and power

sure again i think he already scrap this campaign

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »
My question with Fenwick is ...Seeing he was not offered the assistant nor head coaching job by Jack,will he be willing to be a team player and work with Russell.... ???

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:40 AM »

Wow...that is a statement that speaks volumes to me  :devil:...does that mean that Jack would actually have Fenwick be involved in the National team...what a change in thinking..huh ;)

jack the politician

Jack the money grabber who seeing all the millions from tickets and travel SA WC packages going down the drain.....that's all that is. He eh care about football perse.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
this is a cacahole statement from jack...poor timing and poor choice of words..
do your best magico
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 09:57:09 AM »
IMO...Latas should bring Fenwick into the camp. At the end of the day the man does have a consistent winning record and he a solid defensive background. He is tough and disciplined but he can be harsh and abrasive ( which lately he seems to have under control). If you listen to his half time comments in each match he always seems to spot on with what he has observed and what changes should be made. Doh get meh wrong I eh think D man is a the Ultimate coaching choice but based on his previous record and knowledge I can't see how his input could do more harm than good. The team lacks discipline, cohesion and shape...also we have a inconsistent back 4 due to players trying out for positions that they have not ever played before maybe he can help in this area.  ::) ::)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »

Of everything that was said in that interview... and there was a lot said, I think this is the most intriguing.

As for some of the other things said... I too am troubled by Jack's emphasis that this is just an interim role and that if necessary someone else will be brought in should Latapy not cut it.  What would you be bringing someone else in for at that point... to turn down the furniture and turn off the lights?  Show over at that point.  The much more astute thing to do is to put your total confidence behind Latas, win or lose... win and the job is his, lose and we focus on 2014, there is absolutely nothing to salvage after two or three games should Latas fail.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »

You good yes, I goh believe these things when they manifest themselves.....after all is Jack we talking bout here....

:bs:
JW says many things to flatter when the mood takes him but later on down the line will back track full circle & say he didn't really mean that, show me that in writing with my signature against it!   :shameonyou:
Just ask the World Cup players who were promised a certain percentage of the 2006 World Cup earnings in bonus payments if yuh think ah lying!! 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:30:37 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>