April 24, 2024, 05:37:51 AM

Author Topic: Gambling on a Magician.  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Gambling on a Magician.
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »
Gambling on a Magician.
… Latapy puts his neck out.
By: Lasana Liburd (T&T Express).

Trinidad and Tobago national football team legend Russell “the Little Magician” Latapy will follow in a line of famous players who started their coaching careers at the international level  after the 40-year-old playmaker was appointed head coach yesterday.

Latapy’s inclusion in the technical staff was met with widespread approval, last December, when the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) named him as assistant coach. “Strike Squad” coach Everald “Gally” Cummings and 2006 World Cup star Shaka Hislop suggested, then, that he should be given the head coach role straightaway.

In the present climate, anything is seen as an improvement to Francisco Maturana who failed to impress the public or his own playing staff with erratic team selections and tactics. But, on the fans’ forums, it seems the enthusiasm regarding Latapy has cooled somewhat.

Latapy’s trickery in tugs helped salvage a point for the “Soca Warriors” in a 1-1 draw at home to Honduras last month. But his merger with the present technical squad was also deemed responsible for the return to prominence of two of his 2006 World Cup teammates, Stern John and Densill Theobald.

John and Theobald certainly did not disgrace themselves with their recent performances. But John has not scored since a crucial second leg goal against Bermuda, ten months ago, while midfielder Khaleem Hyland’s repeated exclusion from the starting line-up merits some explanation.

The Trinidad Express understands that Maturana argued some of the decisions he is taking the fall for were down to Latapy’s insistence. If the squad feels the same way, Latapy might not quite bring the fresh wave of enthusiasm usually associated with a new coach.

(It should also be noted that the absence of technical director Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips from such an important “technical” meeting surely asks questions about his role within the TTFF. The Express understands that CONCACAF employee and former national youth team coach, Keith Look Loy, performed the role of “technical advisor”).

The Warriors are bottom of the CONCACAF table at present and Latapy’s honeymoon period can only be guaranteed up until he completes his first team list. It is an alien position for one of the most gifted players of his generation—although it is a role he relishes.

There is a precedent for famous past players effectively starting their coaching career on the international stage. Germany’s Franz Beckenbauer and Juergen Klinsmann, Netherlands’ Frank Rijkaard and Brazil’s Carlos Dunga got their first coaching roles from their respective Football Associations while Diego Maradona did not complete a season with either Mandiyu de Corrientes or Racing Club before he took over the Argentine program.

But there is one difference in Latapy’s promotion.

Maradona had not worn Argentina’s national colours for 14 years when he became the boss. In Dunga’s case, there was an eight year gap while, for Beckenbauer, Klinsmann and Rijskaard, it was seven, six and four years respectively.

Latapy is still an active international player. Zoran Vranes, who just helped Trinidad and Tobago to the 2009 Under-20 World Cup, has his pluses but perhaps Latapy might have better served by an assistant coach with a more forceful personality—particularly if his “friends” step out of line.

It is a gamble from the TTFF but there are many positives too.

Latapy and Vranes both know their way around the local football circuit—in terms of available players and the political scenario—and are also familiar with the CONCACAF region. Vranes demonstrated, with the teenaged squad, that he is able to create a spiky, competitive unit while Latapy would be expected to provide the silk.

The diminutive Little Magician is a deep thinker of the game too and, if the Warriors get off to a good start against Costa Rica on June 6, Latapy surely has the personality to whip local enthusiasm into levels not seen since under Cummings or 2006 World Cup coach Leo Beenhakker.

Not for the first time, Trinidad and Tobago’s World Cup dreams depend on some magic from Latapy. The post of national head coach was always destined to be his at some stage.

Hopefully, the TTFF’s timing is inspired.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Gambling on a Magician.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »

The Trinidad Express understands that Maturana argued some of the decisions he is taking the fall for were down to Latapy’s insistence.

this is some cause for concern, it would be good to have a run-down of these decisions

I pity the fool....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »
Men not touching this at all.

I wonder how Latapy will be judged? What will be deemed a success or failure. I really wait to see how impartial people could be. Then again, the argument over Stern John and Akile Edwards (to name a couple) rages on.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »

yeah ah notice dat too, kinda funny when u tink about it ::)
I pity the fool....

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
"(It should also be noted that the absence of technical director Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips from such an important “technical” meeting surely asks questions about his role within the TTFF. The Express understands that CONCACAF employee and former national youth team coach, Keith Look Loy, performed the role of “technical advisor”)."
ok
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Well I give my 2cents on this already which is Latapy eh getting no free pass from me....I'm just gonna sit back and watch what he does with the team.

I wish him the best, but ah cyar help but feel deep down inside if the TTFF was going to make him head coach all along they should have done it when he first came back, not now at this crucial juncture.

BTW, ah take it that he not playing with Caledonia AIA this pro-league season as originally planned??.... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »

The Trinidad Express understands that Maturana argued some of the decisions he is taking the fall for were down to Latapy’s insistence.

this is some cause for concern, it would be good to have a run-down of these decisions

warner stated that latapy and maturana had equal input ... when latapy got hired
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
Well I give my 2cents on this already which is Latapy eh getting no free pass from me....I'm just gonna sit back and watch what he does with the team.

I wish him the best, but ah cyar help but feel deep down inside if the TTFF was going to make him head coach all along they should have done it when he first came back, not now at this crucial juncture.

BTW, ah take it that he not playing with Caledonia AIA this pro-league season as originally planned??.... :-\

Yuh realize dat Latapy have de title but he doin everyting wit YORKE approval.

Jes so yuh know nah.... ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »

if is Start KD and take orf Birchall, I go dead... :rotfl:

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »

ah talk to a veteran Football Man in nashville and ask him pointedly if he believe/know Latas had major input in team selection, without missing ah beat he said yes, dat worry meh...anyway i just waiting to see what he do with Akile (dat will say a lot), and ah also keeping meh eye on de treatment dat Birchall get.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »

It not "funny" at all... is how much time man go talk about the same thing in different threads?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

It not "funny" at all... is how much time man go talk about the same thing in different threads?

true..............but this "seem" to shed some light on a situation that still kinda boggles the mind..............the sudden shift formation comes to mind
I pity the fool....

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 10:30:36 PM »

I wonder how Latapy will be judged? What will be deemed a success or failure. I really wait to see how impartial people could be. Then again, the argument over Stern John and Akile Edwards (to name a couple) rages on.

What argument   ??? .......STEUPPPPSSSSS  , you still pelting kick at yuh own stones . Yuh correct bout Akile i'll give yuh dat ,but  and is only ah few jackass here that still saying #14 did not have a good game against USA .The only real 'argument' here is whether yuh hatin on #14 for personal reasons or yuh just really eh know better bout de game ...choose one ...I believe is both .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:55:21 AM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:44:05 AM »
That headline killing meh....  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"Gambling on a Magician"

A technical   F...up

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
Latas play Wolfe in d defence. Then we gambling on a madman not a magician.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »

What argument   ??? .......STEUPPPPSSSSS  , you still pelting kick at yuh own stones . Yuh correct bout Akile i'll give yuh dat ,but  and is only ah few jackass here that still saying #14 did not have a good game against USA .The only real 'argument' here is whether yuh hatin on #14 for personal reasons or yuh just really eh know better bout de game ...choose one ...I believe is both .

why you say personal reason? How many men on here actually know Stern to have PERSONAL issue with him? I really hope they keep Stern throughout the campaign, honestly I do.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »

why you say personal reason? How many men on here actually know Stern to have PERSONAL issue with him? I really hope they keep Stern throughout the campaign, honestly I do.

Why personal ? becuz it hard tuh believe that somebody who suppose tuh know bout football cud watch de USA game and say de man eh do nuttin . If dais yuh opinion dais yuh opinion, but all I cud draw from dat is eedah yuh eh know better or yuh is ah disgruntled clone , and I feel yuh know more football that dat ,so what else yuh want meh tuh think.
 And yuh wrong eh, it have man here have personal axe tuh grind with #14 ,ask formites like disgruntledkakaholeTrini  and  Jockstrap supporter .     
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:54:56 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
hear mi Latas going to show how football trini style is played.. I gurantee we spanking Costa Rica  next game.. We need to start playing trini football and stop play dat bullshit we been playing.. I gurantee we tekin care of CR.
war
Latas going to take care of di situation trus mi..
USA
Honduras
Trinidad and CR fighting it for third spot
4th spot Trinidad or CR
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 02:58:15 AM »
^ my boy just plain write off mexico

1]; } ?>