April 28, 2024, 08:09:20 AM

Author Topic: CARIBBEAN GAMES  (Read 2365 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CARIBBEAN GAMES
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
Another casulty of swine flu. Press conference on ctv at d moment
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CARIBBEAN GAMES
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
The following statement was delivered by the Honourable Gary Hunt today, 19 June 2009.

On behalf of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, I wish to join with my colleague, the Hon. Minister of Health in expressing our deep regret over the cancellation of the Caribbean Games 2009. Approximately 2000 athletes, officials and media workers from 40 countries were scheduled to arrive for the Games and in light of the increasing presence of the H1N1 virus, it was felt that cancelling the event was in the best interest of the national community. It was noted that participants, officials and guests attending the Games from other countries could be a source of additional infection for the population of Trinidad and Tobago. In addition, the housing of athletes and officials could create an ideal environment for H1N1 transmission.

The cancellation of the Caribbean Games is undoubtedly a major disappointment for the many fans who were anxiously anticipating exciting competition. Also there are the numerous officials who have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure a successful event. No doubt, the athletes themselves will feel the greatest disappointment since they have been rigorously preparing to showcase their talents during the Games. However, I am confident that they will understand the reason for this cancellation and they will appreciate the wisdom behind this decision.
The Government of Trinidad and Tobago is aware that cancelling the Games will cause some frustration but the health of our citizens is the no.1 priority at this time. I want to assure the public that the Government will always act responsibly whenever the health, safety and well-being of our people are threatened. I also want to emphasize that the Government will always move expeditiously to take decisive action in safeguarding the public interest. I am therefore confident that the Government’s pro-active approach to the H1N1 threat will minimize its effects and that we will soon return to a state of normalcy.

Despite the disappointment that we all feel at this time, there have been some positive developments for our sportsmen and sportswomen. First and foremost is the comprehensive upgrading and refurbishing of some of our premier sporting facilities which is taking place as we speak. This includes the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the Jean Pierre Complex, the Woodbrook Youth Centre, the Shaw Park facilities in Tobago and Saith Park in Chaguanas. Although these facilities are being renovated and upgraded in anticipation of the Caribbean Games they will now serve the sporting community for years to come. In addition, the excitement that the Caribbean Games generated throughout the region will not disappear and this will serve as a springboard for future sporting events in the region.

I therefore wish to urge all the fans, athletes and officials that while we take all the necessary precautions to protect our health at this time, we must continue to look forward to an exciting future for sport in Trinidad and Tobago.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
Thxs TMAN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
I was supposed to be a volunteer for this yes. Oh well.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
Study I didn't know this until earlier this morning.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »
Study I didn't know this until earlier this morning.

Swine flu hide out. Dey doh give u tv.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »
Romany apologises to CANOC
Jabari Fraser
Published: 23 Jun 2009
Jabari Fraser
Larry Romany, president of the T&T Olympic Committee, has apologised to the Caribbean National Olympic Committees and Commonwealth Games Associations after the cancellation of the first Caribbean Games due to the influenza A H1N1 virus. On Friday, Minister of Health Jerry Narace announced that the Games, scheduled for July 12-19, would be cancelled.
Romany felt the need to provide an explanation and apology and expressed his deep sense of regret and sadness, having to write on the withdrawal of T&T as host nation for the Games. “I am sorry for all inconveniences resulting from the decision taken but please be assured that the T&T Olympic Movement remain resolute in our support of Caribbean Games and what it represents.”

The T&T Government has already spent $35 million putting infrastructure in place for the Games. Much of this money has been spent on preparation, including repairs to the various venues, such as the athletics facilities at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, and the tennis courts at Shaw Park, Tobago.
Sport authorities from other Caribbean islands have expressed their disappointment at the cancellation of the Games and have also made their concern known about the amount of money that has been spent. Steve Stoute, president of the Caribbean National Olympic Committees, revealed that Barbados had already spent US$50,000, preparing for the Games.
“We spent about US$30,000 on uniforms and that would include shoes and so on.”

Romany said that he appreciates that the Caribbean NOCs and CGAs have dreamt of having their own regional Games for some time and the importance of the Caribbean staging such a competition. “It would have demonstrated our abilities as a people and a region, to successfully put on a multisport event.” Romany pointed out that the cancellation has resulted in feelings of unparalleled disappointment for all of the stakeholders, including athletes, officials, volunteer workers and fans. “It is a painful scenario but one that I believe had to be made in the best interest of the well being of every single athlete, coach, official, volunteer and supporter,” said Romany.
He stated that the T&TOC began liaising with medical advisers since the virus, now a pandemic, emerged in Mexico, to put measures in place to tackle the threat of an outbreak during the inaugural Games.

“At the time we did not envision a cancellation scenario but one of treatment and containment. However, just two weeks ago, cases emerged at three venue areas, Uwispec for indoor volleyball, Tobago for tennis and Chaguanas for beach volleyball. In addition, UWI was also being used for the Village.” After the volleyball world qualifiers were held at the Uwispec, June 2-6, 11 Surinamese players tested positive for the virus on their return home. Subsequently, last Tuesday, one member of the T&T men’s team tested positive. At that time, Mushtaque Mohammed, president of the T&T Volleyball Federation and board member of the Caribbean Games organising committee had said that there would be no fear of volleyball’s inclusion in the Games, only for the entire Games to be cancelled on Friday.

Romany told the Caribbean NOCs that factors influencing the Government’s decision to cancel the Games were the influx of approximately 3,000 people from 40 countries, the 1,500 athletes and officials that would be living and eating in a communal environment and the fact that the virus would spread exponentially in such a situation. Romany ended by saying, “I am sorry for all inconveniences resulting from the decision taken but please be assured that the T&T Olympic Movement remain resolute in our support of Caribbean Games and what it represents.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »
Maybe this was not be, at least not just yet. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea for a Caribbean Games. The authorities needs to deal with the health issue first. But I still think that money could have been used to prepare our athletes(especially the women, no Olim. medals) for the CAC, PANAM, Commonwealth, World TF and Olimpics.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
Maybe this was not be, at least not just yet. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea for a Caribbean Games. The authorities needs to deal with the health issue first. But I still think that money could have been used to prepare our athletes(especially the women, no Olim. medals) for the CAC, PANAM, Commonwealth, World TF and Olimpics.

Why couldn't these games be used as part of the preparation process? Isn't one of the things our athletes often lack is international/elite class competition? You don't have to always leave the region for that. CAC Games is next year, then Commonwealth later in the year, then Pan American Games in 20011 and the Olympics in 2012.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
dwolfman,
                 You correct, I see your point. This flu business is an omen and we need to attend it seriously. They don't seem to have a control on it so they cancel, unfortunately.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
dwolfman,
                 You correct, I see your point. This flu business is an omen and we need to attend it seriously. They don't seem to have a control on it so they cancel, unfortunately.

Deeks, boss, the only thing to do is wait out this flu, oui. I was looking forward to attending some of these events. I even blank the athletics nationals to go hockey instead because I figure I will be seeing more when the Games start. Pressure.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
dwolfman,
                  sorry about that. yes, maybe we coulda ride out this flu virus. But the way the gov't does move sometimes is mind buggling. We can't trust them to do things right.

1]; } ?>