April 17, 2024, 11:01:37 PM

Author Topic: What Brand of football do we play?  (Read 10102 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What Brand of football do we play?
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
The question I've been asking myself for years is do we really have we own brand or style of football that is unique just to trinbago ballers.I've heard guys on this site say is the soca warrior brand, Now it was the dutch style of football that took us to the world cup so should we stick with the european brand or is it the coach that ultimately makes the brand.....   

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What Brand of football do we play?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
honestly? I would say:
Wild
No organization
Undisciplined
individual based.

The style that took us to the world cup was not that.  Hence it is the coach that will dictate our style until local coaches make it a point to play with organization; but he must not tolerate the wildness/lack of discipline.
I'd say we should stick with the euro brand...

The Under 20's however play nice and cohesive.
whey boy!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:57:27 PM »
The Corbeaux brand
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
Brand X
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »
we used to play a unique, trini-small-goal style in the 90's and early 2000's, capped by bertille st. clair.
We were ultra attacking, playing very attractive football.
But our defense always looked like we would concede. eg the gold cup in 2000. We looked like we could match Mexico attack for attack in that cliffhanger of a game, yet we lost 0-4.
It could very well have been 4-4.

The result was nice football, but we would get licks against more structured teams (eg. USA, Jamaica) or over a long, league format.
Under Gally, it was a similar style, but with a lot more discipline in the defense.
Then again, the 2 wingbacks were also more attacking and good crossers.

Under Beenhakker, for the first time since 89, we saw a much more structured, disciplined team, with wingbacks who could overlap as well, and look what happened.
We were very hard to break down, Germany was the classic example. Yet we always managed to be an offensive threat, which came from our naturally attacking mentality and players. In each game of the last 2 games of Germany 2006, we could have scored multiple goals.
Now we have lost this defensive structure, as well as the attacking wingback dimension.
We are now basically back to the 90's in term of lack of team structure, but to make it even worse, we dont have the players with the natural creativity and attacking flair and competence we had back them (Latas, Dwarika, Nixon, Leonson, Marcelle etc). So we are a poor-man version of a style that never really got us anywhere in the first place. Hence we rely on Dwight more than ever to dictate the game, or to kick up front to Stern and KJ and hope their individual skill pays off somehow.
Very predictable.
If T&T were a club team, i am sure the first 2 positions we would look for reinforcements are the wingback positions. Then the left midfield. We ok up front, and seemingly ok at the back in the middle. Could you imagine a T&T team with a Carlos Edwards twin on the left? We would be a serious threat in the region. Makes it more impressive how Edwards performs, cause everybody we play now I am sure the first tactic they plan for is to try to neutralise our right wing.

We now spend the majority of the game chasing the ball (in all 3 qualifiers we play so far), and when we get it, we dont have the patience or class to keep it and make the other team run around. We show glimpses of this, eg first half vs El Salvador, and last year the first half vs Guatemala in Guatemala. But the majority is chasing the ball.
If a team decided to post up and defend their half, we have absolutely no clue what to do, or we have an idea, but dont have the players to execute.
We always look more dangerous when we playing on the counter-attack, and the opposition has players committed in our half, so we get room to go at them on the run. Thats why i believe we are now a better road team (except vs the US and Mexico).

Brand of football we play now - a poor-man's version of the attacking Trini-small-goal style of the late 80's and 90's, that is extremely reliant on our 2 up front men and occasionally our right midfielder.
Some people also call it the Corbeaux brand.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
The question I've been asking myself for years is do we really have we own brand or style of football that is unique just to trinbago ballers.I've heard guys on this site say is the soca warrior brand, Now it was the dutch style of football that took us to the world cup so should we stick with the european brand or is it the coach that ultimately makes the brand.....   

just because we had a dutch coach does not mean we played a dutch style. i am not even sure what the dutch style is since it changes constantly. the way holland plays now is nothing like the way the dutch played in the days of Cruyff when Total Football became a popular concept. even so..the way the Dutch, and any team worth its salt plays, requires great organzation, discipline, movement and technical ability...things we don't display enough of.

haven't seen this current team play too much, but from what I have seen, the team play seems pretty incohesive, and there really is no style. i actually have never seen T&T play anything that resembles modern football. Beenhaker organized the troops, but even at our best, we seem to look pedestrian, and we need two or three touches to do what a decent international player should do in one

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »

just because we had a dutch coach does not mean we played a dutch style. i am not even sure what the dutch style is since it changes constantly. the way holland plays now is nothing like the way the dutch played in the days of Cruyff when Total Football became a popular concept. even so..the way the Dutch, and any team worth its salt plays, requires great organzation, discipline, movement and technical ability...things we don't display enough of.

haven't seen this current team play too much, but from what I have seen, the team play seems pretty incohesive, and there really is no style. i actually have never seen T&T play anything that resembles modern football. Beenhaker organized the troops, but even at our best, we seem to look pedestrian, and we need two or three touches to do what a decent international player should do in one

I like This nice observation and critique......

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »
Not sure if we have/had a brand. We have always produced very skilful attacking minded players. We also played with great flair. Although we had some decent defenders, we never played team defense.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:56:29 PM »
Spurts.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »
We have no brand, we do what ever get us by.

You have Brand when the rest of the footballing world acknowledge yuh style of play.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
To play Dutch style total brand everybody must be in-sync and totally fit. A lot of running off the ball and absolurtely clean first touch. Only the 74 Holland team has mastered that.I have yet to see a team play like that brand again(That is my opinion).  Do our current guys possess all thos qualities????

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »
beats and score.... anybody fuh anybody :devil: choose one  ;D anything with no defense :rotfl:
All American

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »
St Ann`s brand..... :devil:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
Raisin
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

giggsy11

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
Inconsistent- we lack an identity.

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Raisin

Yeah boi, man does be rell purgin on dat bran! :rotfl:

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »
heart attack

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
heart attack

Tellin me.... hmmm dem kids in the dallas cup playin like the seniors.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »
Brand again? so wha Brand Mexico was juss lorsin with...dem own, Sven, Swedish or English ? Wha Brand does the USA play ? How come dem on top ah Concacaf so regular, is dat a Bess Brand ? How come nobody else doh copy dat Brand to beat dem ? or do you have to come with ah non-US brand to take dem ? will dat non-US brand make you beat USA, but put yuh on the bottom of Concacaf still ? Is playing to the best of one's ability ah Brand ? suppose yuh want to play ah Brazilian brand buh yuh fellas doh samba, is dat ah Bolivian brand ? Are we now entering the phase of ah Scottish brand, or ah Vibes it brand ? Is this the winning brand ?  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
I think we have a specific brand.

Trinidad football is generally made up of a 4-4-2 system with one creative midfielder/playmaker and another midfielder who should be a hard-tackling workhorse, defensive mid but tends to just be a trundler.

We work the balls down the wings and try to get it inside to our two strikers who wait on the ball and are static otherwise. Off the ball runs are generally only based on the individual striker rather than any system or tactics. The two wide mids, the playmaker and the two strikers all like to get the bal and take on their man.

And that is our style traditionally.

When we have players who could real dribble, we tend to look pretty with no end result cause our wide mids tradtionally can never cross.

And our defenders just kick the ball out of the back.

That is our style through the years and each coach that comes along tries to imprint his own brand over that.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
dat is not ah brand or style, dat is weaknesses, so if we pick 2 mid guys who could cross, we changing we brand ? Live !

add: Sunderland knowningly pickin ah man who cyah cross..wha wrong with dem boy  ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:43:51 PM by maxg »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:10 PM »
hit and hope (defenders hitting the ball out and hoping it reach a TnT player)
edwards crossing from the wing and hoping it reach stern or kenwyne

brand?   steups

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
shithong

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 08:13:34 PM »
Hit and Hope

Beat until yuh get Jam

Stand Up and Point

Heart Attack

Voom Kick

Jockey

Tackling doh happen here.

The only brand we playing for the longest while...is wipe up the ting running down yuh leg.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
Reading alot about style and tactics and quality- but is that really a brand?  I guess to some extent yes, but to me "brand" is something more. 

To me a brand is an element (sometimes an unknown quantity that yuh can't really describe) that is added to your style and employed tactics that distinguishes it from another team that plays the same basic style and employs the same tactics.  

Certain teams have it...most teams do not. In fact scratch that- every team has a brand I suppose...some more generic than others..........i.e. some teams have a brand that is significantly more recognizeable than the majority...and alotta teams don't always display their brand either....some times Brazil plays a "Brazilian brand", very often they don't...

If I had to define "brand", I'd say it's a certain rhythm and balance that is defined by multitude of things in addition to tactics, formation and style of play (in a strict sense) among which are the type of players that make up the team, the players' physical build, the way they run, their varying technique, the way they express themselves on and off the ball, the team's footballing philosopy, even the way the players wear their uniforms...some would even argue that the instilled ideals, and societal qualities of a unit come out in a team's brand of football......The end result of this callalloo of factors is the way a certain team looks.

Brazil executing a 3 man combo on top of the box will almost always look different from England doing the same thing even if the play is identical- that's the difference in their brands.  It's like store brand vs. popular brand- even if it's the same product, something about the popular brand is different/more satisfying. 

When I think T&T, I would say our brand is relaxed and loose.  In the days in and around strike squad and shortly thereafter, our brand was more recognizeable than it is today.  I think lately it's been diluted by foreign influences (for better or for worse).

Some of the more recognizeable brands in my opinion:

Brazil
Germany
Argentina
England
Arsenal
Manchester United
Barcelona

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:19:26 PM by kicker »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »
We play "hope for the best" brand, sometimes this is replaced by the "i mash up intercol so i ah boss" brand.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
Reading alot about style and tactics and quality- but is that really a brand?  I guess to some extent yes, but to me "brand" is something more. 

To me a brand is an element (sometimes an unknown quantity that yuh can't really describe) that is added to your style and employed tactics that distinguishes it from another team that plays the same basic style and employs the same tactics.  

Certain teams have it...most teams do not. In fact scratch that- every team has a brand I suppose...some more generic than others..........i.e. some teams have a brand that is significantly more recognizeable than the majority...and alotta teams don't always display their brand either....some times Brazil plays a "Brazilian brand", very often they don't...

If I had to define "brand", I'd say it's a certain rhythm and balance that is defined by multitude of things in addition to tactics, formation and style of play (in a strict sense) among which are the type of players that make up the team, the players' physical build, the way they run, their varying technique, the way they express themselves on and off the ball, the team's footballing philosopy, even the way the players wear their uniforms...some would even argue that the instilled ideals, and societal qualities of a unit come out in a team's brand of football......The end result of this callalloo of factors is the way a certain team looks.

Brazil executing a 3 man combo on top of the box will almost always look different from England doing the same thing even if the play is identical- that's the difference in their brands.  It's like store brand vs. popular brand- even if it's the same product, something about the popular brand is different/more satisfying. 

When I think T&T, I would say our brand is relaxed and loose.  In the days in and around strike squad and shortly thereafter, our brand was more recognizeable than it is today.  I think lately it's been diluted by foreign influences (for better or for worse).

Brazil
Germany
Argentina
England
Arsenal
Manchester United
Barcelona

Nice one Kicker well put together.....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »
buffering!

Just watch dem via the internet..they so facking slow and unorganized, you'd swear the feed was buffering.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »

Brazil
Germany
Argentina
England
Arsenal
Manchester United
Barcelona

kicker I would call that flair..as a "brand" is more dedicated, repeatable, long term..in terms of football, imo, none of the teams/clubs play the same style as any of their past teams...i think it's more down to who one selects, and team organization to suit....but is football, interpretation is the norm...your callaloo, my callaloo and a t&tian callaloo won't all be the same (taste), sometimes not even the same ingredients, but branded callaloo all the same, yet some still sweeter(preference) than some

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »

kicker I would call that flair..as a "brand" is more dedicated, repeatable, long term..in terms of football, imo, none of the teams/clubs play the same style as any of their past teams...i think it's more down to who one selects, and team organization to suit....but is football, interpretation is the norm...your callaloo, my callaloo and a t&tian callaloo won't all be the same (taste), sometimes not even the same ingredients, but branded callaloo all the same, yet some still sweeter(preference) than some

Don't really agree with your comment about flair.  I think England has a very recognizeable brand- but I wouldn't say they play with an inordinate amount of flair...

I do think that brands can change from generation to generation- alot of it could just be a result of the changing game...that said I think that some teams manage to remain recognizeable through generation with a sort of je ne sais quois about their manner of play that is handed down somewhat from generation to generation. 

Alot of it is perception I'm sure- but as they say, sometimes perception is reality.

1]; } ?>