April 28, 2024, 04:22:07 PM

Author Topic: U.S. Soccer Makes World Cup Bid  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U.S. Soccer Makes World Cup Bid
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
U.S. Soccer Pitches Big Tent for World Cup Bid

By Jack Bell

This week, the United States Soccer Federation offered up 50 metropolitan areas and 70 stadiums in its bid to host either the 2018 or the 2022 World Cup.

From the north (Green Bay, Wis.), south (Birmingham, Ala.), east (East Rutherford, N.J.), west (Los Angeles) and places in between (Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Dallas; Salt Lake City; Baton Rouge, La.), the list is an opening salvo in an effort to show officials at FIFA that the United States has the chops to practically put on multiple tournaments simultaneously.

The extensive list also includes several stadiums that are under construction: the new Giants and Jets stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands; TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis); the new Dallas Cowboys cathedral in Arlington, Tex.

There are also relatively buildings used almost exclusively for American football, which would be vacant during the time of the World Cup such as Reliant Stadium in Houston, Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga., M&T Stadium in Baltimore and others.

“We no doubt will end up considering venues, stadiums, that don’t exist today,” said Sunil Gulati, the U.S. Soccer Federation president, during a telephone conference call on Thursday. “Not in the same way that some of the other countries bidding are, because they’re talking about building venues for the World Cup, but given the turnover with top N.F.L. stadiums and top university stadiums that are likely to be built between now and 2018 and 2022, we think that eminently possible.”

Gulati has often said that the United States could host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 in stadiums that did not exist when it last hosted the World Cup in 1994, breaking the overall attendance record for a final tournament, which still stands, with 3,587,538 million spectators attending games.

With next summer’s World Cup to be played in South Africa and Brazil expected to host the tournament in 2014, the morning line is that the 2018 World Cup is most likely to return to Europe, where it was last played three years ago in Germany. Perhaps the leading, sentimental bid from Europe is England, which played host once, in 1966, when it won the tournament on a controversial goal in extra time against West Germany.

Other bids have been submitted to FIFA by Australia, Belgium and the Netherlands, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Spain and Portugal. South Korea and Qatar have submitted bids for the 2022 World Cup, according to the FIFA Web site.

There is certain to be horsetrading, politicking and campaigning between now and when FIFA’s executive committee, which has three members from the Concacaf region, votes to award the 2018 and 2022 tournaments at the same time in December 2010. Consider this scenario: the United States (and Concacaf) lends its support to England’s bid in 2018 in return for English and European support for 2022.

The USA Bid Committee mailed letters to public officials and stadium operators from coast to coast to provide public affirmation and show of confidence for the U.S. bid.

“We’re not expecting people to spend, you know, $500 million or $1 billion to build a stadium for four, five, six, seven games if it doesn’t make economic sense in the long term in the United States, nor would we encourage that,” Gulati said during the conference call.

“Given the nature of the United States, we’re not going to need to build any hotels, any highways, any telecommunications centers, any training fields or any of those sorts of things to support a World Cup,” he added. “Clearly, they’ll be some modifications or upgrades will be needed in some venues, but that’s eight, 10, 12 years from now.”

The United States used nine stadiums in 1994, when the tournament included 24 teams. The World Cup was expanded to 32 team in 1998.

“The range I think people are talking about is nine to 12,” Gulati said. “I think in a country like the United States, it’s possible that that could be a little bit more. That would ultimately be FIFA’s call. But a number of candidate cities we would put forward to FIFA would be greater than that.”

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/us-soccer-pitches-big-tent-for-world-cup/

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. Soccer Makes World Cup Bid
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
Some bigtime stadiums I must say...

Only country to host a WC where football (soccer) was not the no. 1 sport..

Interesting to see if FIFA go give dem the bligh again... :beermug:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:58 PM »
i tink they would.although usa is not a great lover of de best game in de whole wide world.they certainly possess all de amenities to host and b a success.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
Everybody always brings this caviat that the US don't take soccer seriously so they should not get the WC. I have experienced both men and women WC and 2 Olympics in the US and it was fantastic. Do not underestimate the US ability to accomplish things that the put their minds too. Attendances would be great. Sponsorship would be massive and TV rights business will be settled.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
Do not underestimate the US ability to accomplish things that the put their minds too. Attendances would be great. Sponsorship would be massive and TV rights business will be settled.
There is no disputing that the World Cup will be a success in the US.  I also experienced the Mens and Women World Cup held in the US and in my humble opinion there was no vibes or atmosphere outside of the Stadiums.  The average American was not even aware of a major event being held in the country and I lived in New Jersey at the time.  A big difference now, is that every now and again there is a football (or soccer) highlight on SportCenter.  World Cup football does not compare to the Olympics with every household in the US aware of the Olympics.

I would like for them to get another World Cup in our backyard (since no US in the Hex :devil: :devil:).  I am sure it will be quite different and much more exciting in 2018 and 2022.

Blessings

Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »

I would like for them to get another World Cup in our backyard (since no US in the Hex :devil: :devil:).  I am sure it will be quite different and much more exciting in 2018 and 2022.

Blessings

Don't the host team have to qualify as well now?

--------

Deeks good point about attendance... I didn't even realise they set an attendance record (according to the article) in 1994.  Would be nice to have it in mih backyard again... couldn't really take advantage back in '94.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »

Its still Berths for the Conferation + host. The CAF used their WC qualifiers as a prelude to the African Cup of Nations. So South Africa actually had to enter World Cup qualification to compete in the 2008 Nations cup, but they were eliminated by Tunisia. Perhaps that is why you thought the host had to qualify. Its messed up, but short answer=no

The US getting the Cup would be fantastic, it will bring recognition to CONCACAF, eliminate the US from qualifiers  ;D  open up an extra spot, not to mention the US will probably produce a masterpiece of organizational and marketing wizardry.

A cup in Portugal will go nice too though, crowd support could take them all the way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:33:06 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:49:46 AM »

Its still Berths for the Conferation + host. The CAF used their WC qualifiers as a prelude to the African Cup of Nations. So South Africa actually had to enter World Cup qualification to compete in the 2008 Nations cup, but they were eliminated by Tunisia. Perhaps that is why you thought the host had to qualify. Its messed up, but short answer=no

The US getting the Cup would be fantastic, it will bring recognition to CONCACAF, eliminate the US from qualifiers  ;D  open up an extra spot, not to mention the US will probably produce a masterpiece of organizational and marketing wizardry.

A cup in Portugal will go nice too though, crowd support could take them all the way.

It would not open up an extra spot - CONCACAF would lose a spot.

Anyway, f**k USA...England 2018 all d way  :beermug:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 06:52:11 AM »

Blessings

--------

Deeks good point about attendance... I didn't even realise they set an attendance record (according to the article) in 1994.  Would be nice to have it in mih backyard again... couldn't really take advantage back in '94.

Actually no... only the Host team is guaranteed an automatic spot. The defending Champion is the one who has to qualify.  :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 08:54:24 AM »
Bakes yuh eh find like FIFA rotation system for the WC gorn out the window?

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

Anyway, f**k USA...England 2018 all d way  :beermug:

:applause:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »
Zandolie, Ryan and Forever Trini... thanks fuh trying tuh clear dat up, lol

Ryan I eh go vext if Hengland get it neither... ah need tuh visit dey anyways, make sure mih cot ready  :beermug:

Observer, didn't FIFA say they was abandoning the rotation system following 2018...

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/releases/newsid=625122.html

So yeah... ah guess this just making it more obvious eh?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:52:47 PM »

Ryan I eh go vext if Hengland get it neither... ah need tuh visit dey anyways, make sure mih cot ready  :beermug:

Observer, didn't FIFA say they was abandoning the rotation system following 2018...

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/releases/newsid=625122.html

dem abandon it years ago 1990 Europe, 1994 CONCACAF, 1998 Europe, 2002 Asia, 2006 Europe.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »

dem abandon it years ago 1990 Europe, 1994 CONCACAF, 1998 Europe, 2002 Asia, 2006 Europe.

They only announced it in 2003 though.  I think Sepp juss do that to ensure that Africa got a WC under his watch... he wanted that as his legacy.  No sooner than SA got it in 2010, they ball "well de only confederation left now is CONMEBOL and Brazil getting it in 2014 so we eh need it again"...

Allyuh feel is Jack is de only smartman in FIFA... dey only have him dey because he fit een so nice.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
Aye L. t. John,
                       The vibes outside RFK was great. RfK is a city stadium. The Metro right dey. The Dutch and the Saudi fans were making noise as hell. And it very hand to miss the dutch fans in all their orange. I don,t know how the vibes go be outside the new Redskins stadium in Landover? Giants stadium out in the Meadowlands. They need to development around that stadium. Build a mini city, condos,restaurant and bars and then the vibes might change.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

Nah

That would just be pure wickedness lol... 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
Aye L. t. John,
                       The vibes outside RFK was great. RfK is a city stadium. The Metro right dey. The Dutch and the Saudi fans were making noise as hell. And it very hand to miss the dutch fans in all their orange. I don,t know how the vibes go be outside the new Redskins stadium in Landover? Giants stadium out in the Meadowlands. They need to development around that stadium. Build a mini city, condos,restaurant and bars and then the vibes might change.

Deeks the new stadium opening next year... no development yet in the surrounding swampland, lol... but the vibes go be nicer (more intimate stadium).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
April 15, 2009
Sports of The Times

Obama Lends Weight to World Cup Bid

By GEORGE VECSEY

Having shown his deft touch on the basketball court, President Obama is now testing his prowess in the politics of sport.

The president recently sent a video praising Chicago in its bid to hold the 2016 Summer Games. Now he has endorsed the United States’ effort to hold the World Cup of soccer either in 2018 or 2022.

After showing admirable loyalty to his South Side Chicago baseball team, the White Sox, the president might also work up some fealty toward a middle-of-the-table soccer team he once visited, West Ham, from the East End of London. For now, he is taking the big-picture, hands-across-the-sea route.

“As a child, I played soccer on a dirt road in Jakarta, and the game brought the children of my neighborhood together,” the president wrote in a letter that was hand-delivered recently to Joseph S. Blatter, the president of soccer’s world governing body, known as FIFA. Obama was referring to the years from age 6 to 10 that he spent in Indonesia with his mother.

“As a father, I saw that same spirit of unity alive on the fields and sidelines of my own daughters’ soccer games in Chicago,” the president added.

Obama seems to understand the implications of the world’s favorite sport, in the same way he gave early interviews to Arabic newspapers, stopped off in Turkey on his first European trip and held the first Seder in the history of the White House.

“Soccer is truly the world’s sport, and the World Cup promotes camaraderie and friendly competition across the globe,” Obama added in the letter, a part of which was released to The New York Times by the United States Soccer Federation with permission from the White House.

“That is why this bid is about much more than a game,” he added. “It is about the United States of America inviting the world to gather all across our great country in celebration of our common hopes and dreams.”

The president is hoping to influence FIFA when the decision for 2018 and 2022 is made in December 2010, five months after the next World Cup in South Africa. FIFA has committed to Brazil in 2014, meaning that consecutive World Cups could be held in countries without vast modern infrastructure. Theoretically, this would make FIFA more interested in creature comforts and money in 2018 and 2022.

“The support of the president, who is extraordinarily popular around the world, is a huge plus,” Sunil Gulati, the president of the United States federation, said Monday.

Obama is a powerful force, as was shown recently in Chicago when his video impressed inspectors from the International Olympic Committee who were evaluating that city against Tokyo, Madrid and Rio de Janeiro.

The inspectors may not have known that Obama was among the top 20 percent in predicting the recent national college basketball tournament. And does it matter whether the president has any expertise in soccer?

He has attended games involving his 10-year-old, Malia, in Chicago and in 2003 visited his half sister Auma in London and went to a match at West Ham, in the Premier League. After he was elected president in early November, West Ham invited him to return to Upton Park, but his publicists denied the basic tabloid speculation that he roots for the Hammers, or anybody.

A man that politically astute should know that the claret-and-blue Hammers are an ideal team for a community organizer. Long identified with shipbuilders and dockworkers, West Ham has seen many of its ticket holders move out of the area while local periwinkle shops gave way to halal butcher shops. The club has run clinics to draw neighborhood children from South Asia into their fan base.

(Personal note: I went to West Ham on a cold, damp night in 2003, and the Hammers won in extra time, and the fans left singing their hopeful anthem, “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles,” and a little bit of my American heart stayed with them. I mean, who am I going to root for — Manchester United and its A.I.G. logo?)

Obama very well could identify with an underdog, given the generally shaky performances by the United States in the past five World Cups. The United States does not normally have the stature in soccer that it does in the Olympic movement. But the two go about business in different ways.

After scandals a decade ago, the I.O.C. has developed a transparent bid process, while FIFA’s process is far more opaque. But this could be an advantage if Blatter were influenced by the charisma of President Obama.

The Chicago Olympic committee is hoping that Obama will materialize for the vote in Copenhagen in October the same way Prime Minister Tony Blair and President Vladimir V. Putin helped put London and Sochi, Russia, over the top in recent Olympic votes.

“Any statements he makes — and he is already working in his statements for Chicago — are listened to very, very carefully,” the I.O.C. member Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr. of Spain recently said to The Chicago Tribune.

FIFA knows the United States ran a terrific party in 1994, setting an overall attendance record. Now the highly popular American president has proposed throwing another party. A claret-and-blue scarf would look great on him.

E-mail: geovec@nytimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/sports/soccer/15vecsey.html?ref=sports

1]; } ?>