April 27, 2024, 03:45:41 PM

Author Topic: Chelsea vs. Barca Thread (28-Apr-09)  (Read 26936 times)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea vs. Barca Thread (28-Apr-09)
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2009, 02:35:15 PM »
Peter Cech playing he heart out today on this one

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
Barca only have 1 gameplan and formation. Last year united had at least 3 to use and every1 can see how to annoy and stop barca from scoring.  Now Chelsea will go to the bridge and barca will be without 2 CB's. Smart

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
He leave it and Messi would have had a tap in.

Leave it? It was easier to head it in than volley it in, which is what Messi would have needed to do. Just a bad bad miss.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »
If Chelsea score now it serve Barca right.

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »
did messi get subbed of 2nd half?  ::)

-------------

under all the old talk, all the men who defending chelsea tactics was bashing Utd last year for doing a better job at it.
Watch them big up they side now.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
hmmm ... so who still picking Barca to roll over Chelsea?

Ah wonder if anybody going to call out Shaka for that 3-1 prediction?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
90 minutes (minimum) to play now. Chelsea should be satisfied with the result. I thought they defended well without playing negative football. You always felt like they were looking for a quick counter attack. Barca were a little too intricate in their (now predictable) short passing against a tightly packed defence. Some more crosses and longer range shots to try and draw Chelsea out might have been a welcomed change.

Looking forward to see how the 2nd leg progresses in London. Will Chelsea open up more? Will Barca try to play more defensively? I still think it's Barca's tie to lose, but obviously Chelsea are in a good position.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
 :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Result oriented game plan, not bad.

What ever happened to Messi, Iniesta and Xavi?

Nah Chelsea eh do that bad. United had line/walls, Chelsea had group bid difference.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »

Yuh want half ah de lotto numbers?  Ah din get meh 2 goals but ah get de draw doh.

Gun from here ManUre in Barca clothing! :rotfl:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
LOL @ BARCA  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
Advantage Chelsea. but 90 to go.

Home team has two main missions, the more important of which is to win. Barca only got the 2nd one right, and that is to try not to concede. So I'm marginally happy with that, but Chelsea did a job and should be the happier squad. It's going to be super difficult at Stanford Bridge, especially with no Marquez and no Puyol.

Althugh this is a stronger Barca than last year, this was a real deja vu semifinal compared to the one against ManU.

On to the Superclasico...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:48:48 PM by Filho »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
MOM

Barca - Iniesta
Chelsea - Cech
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »

whoah...you do good, but no madridista could back de enemy for 90 +5. it was bound to come out  ;D

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »

Nah Chelsea eh do that bad. United had line/walls, Chelsea had group bid difference.

:rotfl:

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Result oriented game plan, not bad.

What ever happened to Messi, Iniesta and Xavi?

Seems like the latter two actually had good games, no?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »
If Chelsea is such ah big side, why dem playing so? Man talking about game plan, a team costing more than a small country should show dem could play too. Just sitting down and absorbing pressure is a cowardly approach. That sort of tactic should be left to teams that know they have very little to offer and will be seriously outclassed. This is the first time I ever see a Guss Hiddink team play in this manner.

Agreed.  Some serious bitch football dey from so called "big side" chelsea.

Tactical my ass.  They play like T&T in Germany 2006.  T&T knew we was outclassed and play how we had to play to be competitive.  Guess Chelsea felt the same way in this match.  "Big side" doh play so doh.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
It looks like Alves more pre-occupied with things other than playing the way he is capable of playing. All the pressure on Barca to produce, Chelski doen't have to do shite!

If dey doh have to do shit, why alla dem standing up infont the goal?

Because they not doing shit else, lol.

Anyways they deserved to have won simply on account of the shit that Krkic and Hleb do in the last 5 mins

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
The shot isn't to score per se, it is to force Chelsea to step up so they can play it behind them. Basically like the one Krkic now miss.

The fact that Ballack didn't get a second yellow or the fact that the ref gave it a foul? While he played the man I felt that Iniesta played for the card rather than go on to get the ball.

Lol Iniesta fall but make sure he somehow end up in de box holding he face  :rotfl:

I have no respect for dem La Liga teams... none.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
90 minutes (minimum) to play now. Chelsea should be satisfied with the result. I thought they defended well without playing negative football. You always felt like they were looking for a quick counter attack. Barca were a little too intricate in their (now predictable) short passing against a tightly packed defence. Some more crosses and longer range shots to try and draw Chelsea out might have been a welcomed change.

Looking forward to see how the 2nd leg progresses in London. Will Chelsea open up more? Will Barca try to play more defensively? I still think it's Barca's tie to lose, but obviously Chelsea are in a good position.

given the 2 superb chances created in injury time, it can't be that predictable :)

It can be frustrating to watch at times, but Barca falls into that school of teams that (appears to) believe in the way they play and hardly change unless they are under pressure. At least it seems that way sometimes. They're obviously more tactically astute than that, but it seems like today, they stuck with it and eventually opened up Chelsea at the death. Both Bojan and Hleb should have scored. Some teams seem like that and that can often yield wonderfual results and plaudits, other times, it's just really frustrating. Didn't see the game..but based on the description of the chances Bojan and Hleb missed it seems like Barca was justified in continuing with the 'it's only a matter of time' game-plan. they'll need something different now that Chelsea is in the driver's seat
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:07:48 PM by Filho »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
did messi get subbed of 2nd half?  ::)

-------------

under all the old talk, all the men who defending chelsea tactics was bashing Utd last year for doing a better job at it.
Watch them big up they side now.

I notice de same ting.....buh i thought was my imagination.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »

given the 2 superb chances created in injury time, it can't be that predictable :)

It can be frustrating to watch at times, but Barca falls into that school of teams that (appears to) believe in the way they play and hardly change unless they are under pressure. Today, they stuck with it and eventually opened up Chelsea at the death. Both Bojan and Hleb should have scored. Some teams seem like that and that can often yield wonderfual results and plaudits, other times, it's frustrating. Didn't see the game..but based on the description of the chances Bojan and Hleb missed it seems like Barca was justified in continuing with the 'it's only a matter of time' game-plan. they'll need something different now that Chelsea is in the driver's seat

Neither of those two chances were the result of that "intricate passing game" though.  An argument could be made for the thru ball to Hleb, but not the cross to Krkric from Alves.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
they'll need something different now that Chelsea is in the driver's seat

Yuh really feel Chelsea in de driver's seat?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »
hard luck barca.win it on de road.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
If Chelsea is such ah big side, why dem playing so? Man talking about game plan, a team costing more than a small country should show dem could play too. Just sitting down and absorbing pressure is a cowardly approach. That sort of tactic should be left to teams that know they have very little to offer and will be seriously outclassed. This is the first time I ever see a Guss Hiddink team play in this manner.

Agreed.  Some serious bitch football dey from so called "big side" chelsea.

Tactical my ass.  They play like T&T in Germany 2006.  T&T knew we was outclassed and play how we had to play to be competitive.  Guess Chelsea felt the same way in this match.  "Big side" doh play so doh.

I agree that big teams don't play that way.

However, Chelsea defensive game was in the middle of the field not in the defensive end really. Chelsea happy in letting Barcelona have the ball why did they not make Chelsea pay for that? Chlesea still had the best chance of the game.

You really think Chelsea could not go at Barcelona? Look from the 30 minute in the 1st and the 75" in the 2nd and see the difference and ability in Chelsea being able to take the game to Barcelona.

Barcelona for their ability should have palyed faster, they were to methodical in their build up. Almost everyting they did you could see it coming.

Say what, we will see at Stamford Bridge.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »

Hell yeah Chelsea in the driver seat. Chelsea played low and Barcelona defender still had problems with Drogba, no serious penetration in the middle and contained Messi and Henry on the side. Come on.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
NOw i am all for tactics and game plan but,How can a side that is labeled as a big side play another side and have 10 men behind the ball from minute 1. its getting boring now. manu did it last year now chelsea. damn i want to see football.  i was telling all the chelsea fans if  chelse doesn't sit deep and counter they will get serious licks, only 2 "english teams can go toe to toe with barca, arsenal and liverpool. the others have to resort to this unattractive thing. too bad one of those freekicks didnt go in,cause it seems like all chelsea players wanted to trade shirts with the barca players  b4 90 mins.

win or lose i really hope chelsea come out and play football next game
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »

Hell yeah Chelsea in the driver seat. Chelsea played low and Barcelona defender still had problems with Drogba, no serious penetration in the middle and contained Messi and Henry on the side. Come on.

Onus on Chelsea is to WIN at home.  In order to WIN, they have to SCORE....something that they've had trouble doing pretty much the 2nd half of the season.  IMO, Chelsea is under more pressure than Barca in the return leg.  Heaven help them if they have to play catch up at all, because then they'll be fodder for Barca.

Neither team is "MY TEAM" but I am a fan of good football.  I hate to see a team that has the calibre of players as Chelsea does play BITCH FOOTBALL.  It's not necessary and it betrays a mindset of basic insecurity.  Some might call it "smart".  Not me.  For me, it's cowardly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chelsea play for penalties from the kick off in the return leg.  If dat is how yuh "win" at dis level....keep yuh "win".  I admit I have zero emotional investment in either side so "winning" isn't paramount for me as it would be say for T&T.  For me, the team that actually plays football instead of trying to deny the opposition of playing football would be my preference.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:30:03 PM by palos »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »

It can be frustrating to watch at times, but Barca falls into that school of teams that (appears to) believe in the way they play and hardly change unless they are under pressure. Today, they stuck with it and eventually opened up Chelsea at the death. Both Bojan and Hleb should have scored. Some teams seem like that and that can often yield wonderfual results and plaudits, other times, it's frustrating. Didn't see the game..but based on the description of the chances Bojan and Hleb missed it seems like Barca was justified in continuing with the 'it's only a matter of time' game-plan. they'll need something different now that Chelsea is in the driver's seat

Neither of those two chances were the result of that "intricate passing game" though.  An argument could be made for the thru ball to Hleb, but not the cross to Krkric from Alves.

Seen. I hear yah. Like I said, I didn't see the game. But you actually lending to my argument that they not all that perdictable :) At the same time, I was really talking of their 'intricate passing game' as the general manner of play, and not the direct source of all goalscoring opportunities. Barca scores lots of goals off individualism, crosses, long balls, dead balls, shots from distance..etc, while still playing a fast paced short passing game. My point was that they don't usually abondon their general style or philosophy even if the actual goalscoring opportunities come from varied types of play.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »
NOw i am all for tactics and game plan but,How can a side that is labeled as a big side play another side and have 10 men behind the ball from minute 1. its getting boring now. manu did it last year now chelsea. damn i want to see football.  i was telling all the chelsea fans if  chelse doesn't sit deep and counter they will get serious licks, only 2 "english teams can go toe to toe with barca, arsenal and liverpool. the others have to resort to this unattractive thing. too bad one of those freekicks didnt go in,cause it seems like all chelsea players wanted to trade shirts with the barca players  b4 90 mins.

win or lose i really hope chelsea come out and play football next game

U jus sour yuh shit side couldn't capitalize.  For all the talk bout big side doh play so allyuh talkin shit.  Big side does play so.  the difference with a big side and a small side playing like that is the big side can much easier execute it correctly and sustain.  That is the reason why when Sunderland did it at ManUre they failed.  That's the reason why despite our best efforts the warriors didn't succeed against england @ WC06.  So doh talk no shit in allyuh ass.  All who talkin dat shit only vex because despite the 4-0 and all other jackass predictions, Barca come away with a 0-0 draw at home.  Barca will suck salt in de bridge.  Ah hope allyuh eh run from allyuh crow (fuh all those who was touting Barca's unstopable form).  50 Straight games they score ah goal and overmatched (as some ah allyuh made it seem) Chelsea (De small side) held them scoreless.  Yeah Barca form rell sick boi!! :rotfl:

They will get 3 in dey cont in de bridge mark my words!!!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

Onus on Chelsea is to WIN at home.  In order to WIN, they have to SCORE....something that they've had trouble doing pretty much the 2nd half of the season.  IMO, Chelsea is under more pressure than Barca in the return leg.  Heaven help them if they have to play catch up at all, because then they'll be fodder for Barca.

Neither team is "MY TEAM" but I am a fan of good football.  I hate to see a team that has the calibre of players as Chelsea does play BITCH FOOTBALL.  It's not necessary and it betrays a mindset of basic insecurity.  Some might call it "smart".  Not me.  For me, it's cowardly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chelsea play for penalties from the kick off in the return leg.  If dat is how yuh "win" at dis level....keep yuh "win".  I admit I have zero emotional investment in either side so "winning" isn't paramount for me as it would be say for T&T.  For me, the team that actually plays football instead of trying to deny the opposition of playing football would be my preference.

How much goals we score in the last 4 or 5 games?!  The way you state this you'd swear the blues in ah drought.

1]; } ?>