April 18, 2024, 10:38:39 PM

Author Topic: 3 outta 4 semi-finalists again? oh gosh man EPL!  (Read 4396 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
3 outta 4 semi-finalists again? oh gosh man EPL!
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
Stop it! keep dominating the champs league like this and they will definitely change up the home-grown players' rules...... 
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: 3 outta 4 semi-finalists again? oh gosh man EPL!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
Stop it! keep dominating the champs league like this and they will definitely change up the home-grown players' rules...... 

That's the only way to slow dem down.  Cause the EPL big 4 consistently performs better in CL than the best teams from all the big leagues.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
ah scotsman, ah french man and ah Spaniard as Managers.
EPL should bask in the lime light while the goin is good
ebb and flow man.
and UEFA should just leave All teams assemble the best team possible under the present system.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:58:01 PM by Pavlov »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
These pundits on Five Live radio station having a go at Platini and saying he might throw up in de morning with three EPL teams in de semis...lol
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
ah scotsman, ah french man and ah Spaniard as Managers.
EPL should bask in the lime light while the goin is good
ebb and flow man.
and UEFA should just leave All teams assemble the best team possible under the present system.

I thinks you ment Dutch  ;D

The relegation teams in the EPL coached by English coaches hahahahah
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:16:14 PM »

That's the only way to slow dem down.  Cause the EPL big 4 consistently performs better in CL than the best teams from all the big leagues.

haha. doh get carried away. right now is a dominant cycle, of which there have been many in the history of the competition. 3r years in a row that the EPL teams dominante the semifinal stage tho....impressive no ar$e. Why it is that Barca have to play the one EPL team I relly cannot stand in the semis. And I used to like Chelsea eh..but Mourinho sour me on dem. Anyhow, 2nd year running that Barca is the non-epl team at this stage. I looking for them to make the final and make things a little more exciting this year. A cna't stand finals when bothe teams from the same country. Real madrid vs Valencia, Milan vs Juventus, manU vs Chelsea are the three are remember from recent history and they were the worst ;D...

SEMPRE BARCA

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »
how many english players in them 3  sides by the way?jus curious
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »

haha. doh get carried away. right now is a dominant cycle, of which there have been many in the history of the competition. 3r years in a row that the EPL teams dominante the semifinal stage tho....impressive no ar$e. Why it is that Barca have to play the one EPL team I relly cannot stand in the semis. And I used to like Chelsea eh..but Mourinho sour me on dem. Anyhow, 2nd year running that Barca is the non-epl team at this stage. I looking for them to make the final and make things a little more exciting this year. A cna't stand finals when bothe teams from the same country. Real madrid vs Valencia, Milan vs Juventus, manU vs Chelsea are the three are remember from recent history and they were the worst ;D...

SEMPRE BARCA

Nah man de Madrid x Valencia final was decent man...lol  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »
Interesting stats...of the players  and subs who played for the semifinal qualifiers in the 2nd legs of the quarterfinal rounds. Check here are the countries they are from (injuries and suspensions means these weren't necessarily the stongest starting 11s and subs but let's go). No judgement here, I just like de stats ;) :

Representation by Country:
England: 8
France: 7
Spain: 6
Ivory Coast: 5
Brazil: 4
Portugal: 3
Argentina 2
Cameroon: 2
Holland: 2
Serbia & Montenegro: 2
Belarus:1
Bulgaria: 1
Czech Rep: 1
Denmark: 1
Germany: 1
Ghana:1
Ireland (Rep): 1
Mali: 1
Poland: 1
Togo: 1
Wales: 1

Representation by Region:
Europe: 36
Africa: 10
South America: 6

Teams that played most 'locals':
Barcelona: 5 out of 12 Spaniards
ManU: 4 out of 13 English
Chelsea: 2 out of 13 English
Arsenal: 2 out of 14 English

Biggest Contingent by Country in Each Club:
Barcelona: 5 Spaniards
ManU: 4 English
Chelsea: 2 Ivory Coast, 2 English
Arsenal: 3 France

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »
cool.   arsenal barca final yet again. this time henry will be on d winning team
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »
Representation by Country:
England: 8
France: 7
Spain: 6
Ivory Coast: 5
Brazil: 4
Portugal: 3
Argentina 2
Cameroon: 2
Holland: 2
Serbia & Montenegro: 2
Belarus:1
Bulgaria: 1
Czech Rep: 1
Denmark: 1
Germany: 1
Ghana:1
Ireland (Rep): 1
Mali: 1
Poland: 1
Togo: 1
Wales: 1
as related to FIFA rankings
Top 25 Rankings as of April 2009[1]
Rank Team Points Confederation
1  Spain 1729 UEFA
2  Germany 1362 UEFA
3  Netherlands 1360 UEFA
4  Brazil 1275 CONMEBOL
5  Italy 1271 UEFA
6  Argentina 1219 CONMEBOL
7  England 1173 UEFA
8  Croatia 1151 UEFA
9  Russia 1117 UEFA
10  France 1074 UEFA
11  Portugal 1013 UEFA
12  Czech Republic 968 UEFA
13  Greece 927 UEFA
14  Turkey 925 UEFA
15  United States 919 CONCACAF
16  Uruguay 909 CONMEBOL
17  Paraguay 896 CONMEBOL
18  Switzerland 883 UEFA
19  Cameroon 871 CAF
20  Bulgaria 840 UEFA
21  Israel 836 UEFA
22  Ukraine 832 UEFA
23  Serbia 819 UEFA
24  Scotland 815 UEFA
25  Mexico 808 CONCACAF
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
cool.   arsenal barca final yet again. this time henry will be on d winning team

cosign

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »
look how men does get caught signing up for shit easy easy eh.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »

cosign

I feel you went to one ah dem tea party today and get tea bagged... >:(

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 05:31:56 AM »

I am confused,  ???, arseanl vs barca? Did chelsea withdraw or forfeit the semis?

As far as i know, all these "Barcelona fans" are in for the shock of their lives when the dust clear in that semi final match up!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:51:20 AM »

I am confused,  ???, arseanl vs barca? Did chelsea withdraw or forfeit the semis?

As far as i know, all these "Barcelona fans" are in for the shock of their lives when the dust clear in that semi final match up!

ah love it!!

Ok, so the aggregate may only read a +2 goal differential in Barca's favour, Chelsea beat Barca over two legs, wake up!!  Ah love it!!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »
Chelski gonna put one cutarse on Barca... that when the semis done... :beermug:
Dem barca fans will be all running to their doctor for oxycodone HCl, to deal with the pain.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »

ah love it!!

whoah. hear nah man...football does bring out the drama-queen in some people. it go be a hard-fought affair. Seeing as Chelsea has had the better of Barca 2 of the last 3 years they've met in the CL, Barca fans are not overly-confident. A lil fan to fan banter..ole talk, but shock of their lives? hahah. Chelsea fans however seem to be trying a reverse psychology as if they are some massive underdog and a win against Barca will be a 'shock'. everybody BUT Barca fans trying to make Barca out as some invincible team. I guess that way if they lose, is no scene and if they win..it's the 'Shock of their lives'.  :devil: heheh. semifinals very closely matched. any one of the final four could win the whole thing.

giggsy11

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »
I am going out on a limb- Essien and Drogba are the keys to whether Chelski are successful. Chelski should not be under estimated- and Barca should not be overconfident. It may be closer than some expect and I would not be surprised if Chelski win. They may have a better chance of winning the game if Obi Mikel play, right Chow?  :devil:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »
I am going out on a limb- Essien and Drogba are the keys to whether Chelski are successful. Chelski should not be under estimated- and Barca should not be overconfident. It may be closer than some expect and I would not be surprised if Chelski win. They may have a better chance of winning the game if Obi Mikel play, right Chow?  :devil:

Agreed! Essien did a master job on Gerrard and would be called upon to do the same. The question is who more dangerous. Barca have a lot of weapons and from a creative standpoint, they posses far more players of this nature than Liverpool. Shut down Messi Eto and Henry and yuh still have to deal with Xavi and Iniesta passing ball between man big toe and second toe.
I suspect Barca will play with two holding midfielders at Stamford Bridge, which may rule out Iniesta. But in they own yard on that massive field they will have both Xavi and Iniesta.
Barca back line will struggle against Drogba and its no secret they are not comfortable in the air. Certainly they will ketch they ass with both Drogba abd Anelka if they play together.

This one two close to call, but my hopes are with Barca. I just love it when attractive playing football teams come out on top. ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »
Chelsea fans however seem to be trying a reverse psychology as if they are some massive underdog and a win against Barca will be a 'shock'.

Just like Barca fans will play down the expectation that they're favorites and so psychologically lessen the blow of an upset. 

I wouldn't call this a David v Goliath by any means -two big teams with rosters overflowing with talent and massive reputations (as far as the modern day game goes in the case of Chelsea)...But I'd be surprised if Barca is not the favorite - I almost want to say clear favorite- even if not by pure football measures but by the perception/reputation that they've built this season by absolutely destroying opponents on a weekly basis with football that is very pleasing to the eye.

That said,  Barca hasn't faced an EPL opponent this season, and though I'm not sure that anyone in the EPL is at Barca's level techinically.............I think tactically & phsically and with the generally higher level of intensity with which football is played in England, they all have more than enough to topple a team like Barca...so yeah it's anyone's game...but Barca is the clear favorite if you ask me (and I'm sure most) 

I actually think of the teams left, Arsenal is the most threatening to Barcelona from an attacking stand point...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »
When full strength Rijkaard led Barca with Ronaldinho/Eto'o/young Messi played a full strength, Mourinho led Chelsea with Robben/Lampard/Drogba, Barcelona were the overwhelming favorites.

Arguably this Barcelona team is better and this Chelsea team is worst than the teams that featured in that fixture.

The way Barcelona has played this season, if they win at least 2 titles this season it would be fair to say this has been the greatest season by any team in world club football in at least the last decade.

There is no disputing that Barca are the clear favourites on paper for this matchup.

But you know what they say about football on paper.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
When full strength Rijkaard led Barca with Ronaldinho/Eto'o/young Messi played a full strength, Mourinho led Chelsea with Robben/Lampard/Drogba, Barcelona were the overwhelming favorites.

Arguably this Barcelona team is better and this Chelsea team is worst than the teams that featured in that fixture.

The way Barcelona has played this season, if they win at least 2 titles this season it would be fair to say this has been the greatest season by any team in world club football in at least the last decade.

There is no disputing that Barca are the clear favourites on paper for this matchup.

I think a lot of poeple are fans of Barca's style of play, even if they don't like Barcelona. Also, a lot of the non-English press, and fans of teams in leagues outside the EPL are a little afraid of the EPL teams completely dominating this competition for years to come. So the support for Barca from 'neutrals' is VERY high. And that makes them overwhelming favorites. On the field of play, too much quality at this stage of the game to be calling anyone an overwhelming favorite. And Omar..seriously? How was Barca overwhelming favorites then. Maybe favorites, but Chelsea had beaten Barca the year before when the Catalans were favorites, and Chelsea was destroying everything they face and completely redifining what it took to win the EPL. So unless you really feel Barca players were that superhuman (they weren't)..it was never gonna play off as one team diminating the other. It was round of 16 right? So kinda early but was a clash of the two most in form teams in Europe. That year, Barca played some great footbal, but only beat the two EPL teams they faced when they were down to 10 men.

I not trying to talk down Barca eh? I think they are marginal favorites to beat Chelsea. But I know that any team in the top 4 of the EPL could give Barca a real good run. In the last 4 years, in the knockout phase Barca has met Chelsea twice, Liverpool once, Arsenal once and ManU once. Outside of the year they won it all, their record against EPL teams is not stellar. So I for one think Chelsea is a big big threat.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »
again i say,the  last 2 times we lost to  epl opposition barca were out ah form,  and yet the english teams came to camp nou and played ultra defence. no game is easy at  the semifinal stage. after all every1 had their money on liverpool progressing. if chelsea comes the nou camp and tries to play anything but sit deep and counter then this tie is over.( baring barca dont pick a injury to any key player). chelsea defence right now has too many holes, in short barca a bit more than marginal favs.  but ask liverpool that stands for nought on game day
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:20:18 PM by freakazoid »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
again i say,the  last 2 times we lost to  epl opposition barca were out ah form,  and yet the english teams came to camp nou and played ultra defence. no game is easy at  the semifinal stage. after all every1 had their money on liverpool progressing. if chelsea comes the nou camp and tries to play anything but sit deep and counter then this tie is over.( baring barca dont pick a injury to any key player). chelsea defence right now has too many holes, in short barca a bit more than marginal favs.  but ask liverpool that stands for nought on game day

Freakazoid..you preaching to the choir. I am mostly just providing counter arguments. But that doesn't change the fact that they lost those games. Chelsea and Arsenal can say they haven't lost to Barca in recent times when they had 11 men on the field. When the game is being played, excuses go out the window and big teams just have to deliver..and when you lose, the history books doh care who was injured or who was out of form, or who got red carded. I just telling it as I see it in terms of how difficult it is at this stage to get a result. I have no doubt Barca will play an attractive game. I will be disappointed if they don't win cuz daiz meh side and on paper, they arguably playing the bess ball in Europe right now..but I have no doubt that when it comes down to the actual business of winning and losing..it too close to call given the teams left in the competition

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »
fair enough

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »

How you figure???
TnT Patriot

giggsy11

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 05:12:59 AM »

Which decade you talkin about? Just to be sure. Because it United won the treble in 1999, Barca winning 2 will trump that?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »

lampard is an important part in that equation too boy.

People forgetting how Bayern Munich came out and played with a certain intensity in the last match. Barca didnt look that impressive with men rushing them and not giving them time to dwell on the ball. Bayern wasn't playing all that well, but they still manage to give them a fight.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:58 AM »

Which decade you talkin about? Just to be sure. Because it United won the treble in 1999, Barca winning 2 will trump that?

1999-2000
2000-2001
2001-2002
2002-2003
2003-2004
2004-2005
2005-2006
2006-2007
2007-2008
2008-2009

i spell it out for yuh  ;D this is the tenth season since ManU won the treble. But I'm guessing that wasn't Omar's point since ManU also won a domestic-European double last year. I think the man just enjoying the style in which Barca is playing and winning games. If Barca could translate that style to actually winning some hardware...some people (Omar included) will personally rate that highly. i guessing is more of a personal preference he talking about in how they go about their business, than the actual accomplishment of winning silverware

1]; } ?>