April 20, 2024, 05:54:41 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the 5th Summit of the Americas.  (Read 33474 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the 5th Summit of the Americas.
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »
ah geh goose bumps when de pan come on stage wid that rythm
overall it was a great showing Mr. McFarlane :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

You mean Peter Minshall eh....
I must admit that the first set of performers were very Minshallesque indeed
I was waiting for someone to come out with different colour dyes ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:31:30 PM by Pavlov »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:12 PM »
Look look ...... >:(
But dey truth does offend

A Slum on the Edge of the Americas Summit
Leaders Need Not Look Far to See Poverty and Violence Outside Summit Venue

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=7359161
tell them beetham people stop being lazy and go make things happen. stop being blasted lazy and sell some dinner mints on ariapita ave.
oh gaum Babalawo
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
Babs,
         Point taken. But you mean to say the gov't cant have people clean and cover the canals?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
Babs,
         Point taken. But you mean to say the gov't cant have people clean and cover the canals?

But why wait on the Government to tell ya dat Deeks ?
Tall bush henging over ya fence and interfering with dey beauty of ya lawn and front gap and dey mosquitoes sexing on ya wall, you go wait until city council and dem pass ?

This is the problem in Trinidad and Tobago, WE DON'T USE OUR INITIATIVE.  Datz all ya know.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

All yuh self....dais de ONLY Soca foreigners know.....

De narrator actually made it a point to say that it was a depiction of the Caribbean.  Trinidadians need to let go of this "we ting" mentality sometimes.

To answer somebody question... dunno if it was on int'l. TV, but I was following along via stream on CNN.com.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:19 PM »

It have much suffering in de Beetham eh, but all in all gov't can't cure all that ails that place.  Trinidadians have a problem with personal responsibility I find and is time them people step up and start policing they own community.  OUT de bandit element.  Pay attention to dumpers and polluters... if coconut oil factory dumping in allyuh environment band together and picket dem.  De article mention all dem youths who liming whole day.  Ah next one talk about if they "step" on de small man he ent go have no choice but to dip in ah next man pocket.  What kinda fukkery is dat?? 

This is the mentality of these people that need to change.  It have wuk in Trinidad but some people not interested in working hard so we have to import chinee and Filipino to swing hammer in hot sun.  CEPEP and YTEPP money waste b/c youths rather lime whole day than go training.  But den camera show up and is all kinda oppression dey bawlin.  Man cyah afford tuh break down on de h'way is because bandit hopping canal and locking people neck.  Flour truck caught in traffic last year, they run out and loot it.  But YET people bitching about de wall... oh "it hiding de Beetham".  It ent hiding allyuh, it keeping allyuh at bay.

I glad fuh de wall... too bad dey couldn't dig ah blasted moat and full it with alligator too.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2009, 07:38:25 AM »

De narrator actually made it a point to say that it was a depiction of the Caribbean.  Trinidadians need to let go of this "we ting" mentality sometimes.

As far as I'm concerned Soca is "we ting".  What happened was that somehow artists from up the Caribbean have been able to capitalise on it internationally before our performers have.  So I'm not surprised that they would choose a singer like Arrow to perform.  That song "Hot, Hot, Hot" is the definition of Soca internationally so its not surprising it was chosen.

To be honest, I personally find that Soca from up the Island generally sounds sweeter than what we produce here (especially from the mid 90's to present).  So I don't begrudge them they status.   Ah jealous actually.... :(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »

It have much suffering in de Beetham eh, but all in all gov't can't cure all that ails that place.  Trinidadians have a problem with personal responsibility I find and is time them people step up and start policing they own community.  OUT de bandit element.  Pay attention to dumpers and polluters... if coconut oil factory dumping in allyuh environment band together and picket dem.  De article mention all dem youths who liming whole day.  Ah next one talk about if they "step" on de small man he ent go have no choice but to dip in ah next man pocket.  What kinda f**kkery is dat?? 

This is the mentality of these people that need to change.  It have wuk in Trinidad but some people not interested in working hard so we have to import chinee and Filipino to swing hammer in hot sun.  CEPEP and YTEPP money waste b/c youths rather lime whole day than go training.  But den camera show up and is all kinda oppression dey bawlin.  Man cyah afford tuh break down on de h'way is because bandit hopping canal and locking people neck.  Flour truck caught in traffic last year, they run out and loot it.  But YET people bitching about de wall... oh "it hiding de Beetham".  It ent hiding allyuh, it keeping allyuh at bay.

I glad fuh de wall... too bad dey couldn't dig ah blasted moat and full it with alligator too.

Thank you very much....!

(yuh cayr even come back home with 1 suit case for a visit also, because as soon as yuh come home, people does hail yuh out, "whey yuh bring for meh"

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2009, 07:52:44 AM »
yeah there was a TV ad running about takin free courses (I believe the fella in the ad said free) at a college all over TnT
Courses like electrical and plumbing
more youth should take advantage of that
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »
Standing ovation for Patrick Manning .

simple answer: who gave out invitations? ;D

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2009, 07:58:26 AM »
yeah there was a TV ad running about takin free courses (I believe the fella in the ad said free) at a college all over TnT
Courses like electrical and plumbing
more youth should take advantage of that

Black Stalin sang a calypso this year that sums up the situation quite nicely.....he basically says that the government provide every thing for all the citizens but they are not taking advantage of the opportunities....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »
http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2009/04/18/paradise-show

Beg pardon eh Sharkness...ah juss read dis and decided to drop dey link in here...
is okay ??? :devil:

truetrini

« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »
Entry denied

By NALINEE SEELAL Friday, April 17 2009

Immigration officers denied entry to a professional protestor and placed him on a flight back to Puerto Rico an hour after he arrived in Trinidad on Wednesday night. Another professional protestor reported to be from North America was also barred from entering the country last week.

Acting Police Commissioner James Philbert disclosed yesterday that Puerto Rican, Alberto de Jesus Mercado, had a history of participating in international demonstrations, and was recently deported from Israel for hanging a Palestinian flag in Ramallah.

Immigration boarded a LIAT flight after its arrival at Piarco International Airport, shortly after 8 pm on Wednesday, and removed Mercado from among the passengers. They also seized two protest placards which had messages to US President Barack Obama, pleading with him to end Puerto Rico’s status as a dominion of the United States.

Mercado, 51, a resident of San Juan, Puerto Rico, was on a list of persons deemed as security risks to this weekend’s Summit of the Americas. He has been arrested in several countries for his participation in protests, according to information provided by Puerto Rican authorities, Philbert told a media conference at the Ministry of National Security.

“Our advice is that this individual came from Puerto Rico, and there is a long history of his international interactions in protests and demonstrations. Based on the advice that was given to the Chief Immigration Officer the action was taken,” Philbert said.

The second person, who police sources would only say came from North America, was not allowed into the country last week because he was deemed a “threat to national security”.

Philbert, at the briefing, also said six Latin Americans were detained on Wednesday, but were allowed to remain in Trinidad, although protest materials they had with them, were seized. Newsday reported yesterday that the six persons were identified as Venezuelans Trina Henrique and Cureina Martinez, Brazilians Lios Bassehio and Pablo Yles of Brazil, and Colombian Jerome, who belonged to the protest group, The Cry of Exclusion.

Spokesman Hilda Gouverra told Newsday on Wednesday that she viewed the detention of the six protestors as illegal and would consult lawyers on the matter. After their brief detention on Wednesday, the six Latin Americans were given back their passports, and are now staying at a location in East Trinidad.

Local trade union leader, FITUN president David Abdulah yesterday said the action taken against Mercado was illegal and unjust, adding that passengers on the Liat flight were traumatised by the incident.

“We did seek to make interventions on his behalf with authorities here, but it was to no avail.

We will be pursuing this matter further, and we demand no other delegates be treated in that manner or denied entry into Trinidad and Tobago,” Abdulah said at a media conference at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine. Mercado was supposed to attend a protest demonstration organised by FITUN which will be held tomorrow at the university.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »

tell them beetham people stop being lazy and go make things happen. stop being blasted lazy and sell some dinner mints on ariapita ave.
oh gaum Babalawo
I mean gov't / banks quicker give people money that can prove they wont waste it. Something like good credit system. get together, build a business or something and proove to the government that you hard working . . Im saying work together in a positive project and show the government that you are hard working and the gov. Beetham residence work hard and together, your hard work will get you a higher % of  help from the government, instead of complaining, wasting money in dvd, and bad talking manning this and manning that.  The govt is scared of giving them money because of the criminal reputation and ill-will of some fellow residence, giving power to the wrong hands.... And Most of them international media coverage just give those journalist a story so they can make money/sponsorship for having an article or story. A news paper has many journalists and photographers. Those whose stories and photos gets choose by the editor get a comission bonus. its more profitable for the journalist than beetham, so in retrospect they are being USED.  ABC used the beetham, Miami hearald used the beetham, who next?  If them international journalist make it big, them getting credited for discovering an already discovered story, putting in their resume, getting paid to talk about it in universitys and/or producing new york times best sellers novels out of it. And the same beetham resident in their same conditions.  So all i say is spend your god given time on earth working hard in possitive projects instead of making bad talking government news stories and DVD;s.  The government dont work with negative people, work on turning the beetham as possitve, hard working resisdents.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »

As far as I'm concerned Soca is "we ting".  What happened was that somehow artists from up the Caribbean have been able to capitalise on it internationally before our performers have.  So I'm not surprised that they would choose a singer like Arrow to perform.  That song "Hot, Hot, Hot" is the definition of Soca internationally so its not surprising it was chosen.

To be honest, I personally find that Soca from up the Island generally sounds sweeter than what we produce here (especially from the mid 90's to present).  So I don't begrudge them they status.   Ah jealous actually.... :(

Soca is "we ting" perhaps... b/c we pioneered and have been most successful with it.  Let's not forget however, the considerable input other islands gave towards the development of Soca.  One of Shorty's earliest collaborator was Maestro from Dominica.  In fact Shorty even went there and lived with Maestro in his home for about 6 months, collaborating on writing and experimenting with sound.  Within the year that experimentation gave birth to Endless Vibrations... and the rest as they say is history.

Today soca wouldn't be where it is without the contributions of Arrow (who was rightly honored with the inclusion), Edwin Yearwood, Eddie Grant... and dare I say Byron Lee.  We would still have a vibrant artform, but the different perspectives brought by these artists have influenced soca to make it the dynamic and versatile artform it is today.  We should celebrate that instead of talking about 'we ting'... especially when 'we ting' can't even get year-round support in Trinidad.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2009/04/18/paradise-show

Beg pardon eh Sharkness...ah juss read dis and decided to drop dey link in here...
is okay ??? :devil:

yeah, ah read dat lass night.  She start off nice nice... but den it turn into more of de usual trinicenter.com rant.  I find Raffique Shah is de only blasted writer on dat site does make any kinda sense.  De rest ah dem come like Trinidad version of Al Sharpton, dey perennially in search of some crusade to ride off on.  And fuhget glass being half-full/half-empty... government fail tuh even gih dem dey glass.

Ah like she headwrap doh.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
Anyone heard about riot police out on independence square to stop some group protesting ???
Apparently they were denied permission to protest, but yet still came out....

Confirmation ???

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2009, 01:32:52 PM »
Anyone heard about riot police out on independence square to stop some group protesting ???
Apparently they were denied permission to protest, but yet still came out....

Confirmation ???

yeah, i saw it on TV. The protesters were matching around cipriani statue on the round about. Riot police was there, just looking on. I dunno if anything transpired after though.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2009, 04:32:13 PM »
is it just me or has wendell constantine adopted ah freshwater?

Wendell always talk that way-loud and proper.He also look the same way since I watching him on TV as a child ,and I'm now almost 27.I wonder how old he is now?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
 Riot police and activists in a stand off at St James Amphitheatre. Drumming, 3canal singing, people clapping. Riot police standing in a line about 30 ft away from the ppl on the stage.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »
is it just me or has wendell constantine adopted ah freshwater?

Wendell always talk that way-loud and proper.He also look the same way since I watching him on TV as a child ,and I'm now almost 27.I wonder how old he is now?

late 40s

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »
Riot police and activists in a stand off at St James Amphitheatre. Drumming, 3canal singing, people clapping. Riot police standing in a line about 30 ft away from the ppl on the stage.

Just came back from down there....unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »

Soca is "we ting" perhaps... b/c we pioneered and have been most successful with it.  Let's not forget however, the considerable input other islands gave towards the development of Soca.  One of Shorty's earliest collaborator was Maestro from Dominica.  In fact Shorty even went there and lived with Maestro in his home for about 6 months, collaborating on writing and experimenting with sound.  Within the year that experimentation gave birth to Endless Vibrations... and the rest as they say is history.

Today soca wouldn't be where it is without the contributions of Arrow (who was rightly honored with the inclusion), Edwin Yearwood, Eddie Grant... and dare I say Byron Lee.  We would still have a vibrant artform, but the different perspectives brought by these artists have influenced soca to make it the dynamic and versatile artform it is today.  We should celebrate that instead of talking about 'we ting'... especially when 'we ting' can't even get year-round support in Trinidad.

Doh get mih wrong eh....I love mih small island Soca....those artistes usually make some sweet Soca music....
and overall I agree with what yuh post dey.... :beermug:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
The CNN Wire Latest updates on top stories
April 18th, 2009
Gift to Obama rockets book’s sales
Posted: 06:49 PM ET

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CNN) — The big winner out of this week’s Summit of the Americas in Trinidad may be a decades-old book about the exploitation of Latin American people throughout history.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, whose anti-U.S. rhetoric has included calling former President George W. Bush the devil, approached Obama Friday and handed him a copy of “Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent.”

In just hours, the book, by Uruguayan writer Eduardo Galeano, rocketed to bestseller status on online book store Amazon.com.

The English version was at No. 14 on the site’s list of top sellers. On Friday, it had been No. 60,280.

The book topped Amazon’s “Movers and Shakers” list on Saturday — with a reported 466,378-percent increase in popularity on the site.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
Doh get mih wrong eh....I love mih small island Soca....those artistes usually make some sweet Soca music....
and overall I agree with what yuh post dey.... :beermug:

I cyah get with some ah dat 1000 bpm heart attack music... but some ah dem contribute some nice chunes fuh real man.  Wha'is soca widout "Tiney Winey", "Oil Pumpin' ", "All Aboard" (Tony Prescott's, but written by Edwin), "Turn It Up" (Square One), "Swingin' Engine" (Burning Flames) etc.  :)

--------------

On a vastly separate note... anybody know what are de agenda of de "Drummit to the Summit" and "The People's Summit"?

I seeing all kinda passion etched on dem people face in de photos Die Hard post in de next thread.  Ah curious to know what de bussin vein so about.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
Sorry for the full caps, I'm just copying and pasting.
"MAXIMUS DAN, 3 CANAL, KING DAVID, OZY MAGIC, ANDY VENTURE, CHANTWELL & MORE. 3PM. TODAY Saturday 18th April 2009 SUMMIT OF THE PEOPLE Closing Rally @ UWI SPEC St. Augustine!!!

And I copied and paste this response from the same question I asked.

.I saw on the news online that riot people came to the premises at 4 pm and 'tried' to stop the session on the premises that was paid for - a private amphitheatre next door to the St. James Police Station. It was advertised all week and did not need police permission. There were young people drumming looking at riot police with their batons and tear gas guns ready for action any minute. Outside was also a line up of police with machine guns, to do what, shoot down some cultural and committed persons concerned about their country, your country, my country? I thought, is this what my country is coming to?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:38:56 PM by TriniCana »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
Allyuh hadda realise....a good bit of trinis jus like to be in ting cuz dey feel dahs how it supposed to be done. Dey does see protest going on for other summits internationally...so a good bit just feel dem just hadda protest cuz dahs how it supposed to be. It had a group protesting in cow masks......when dey getting interview by de news...oh dem not going and be part of de summit like cows (loud mooing by protesters drowning out spokesperson) and they staging dis silent protest to protest de summit. Silent protest..yet dey passing round and mooing and making a setta kakahole noise. A good portion of de so called protesters and people who want to protest just doing so rather dan being serious bout wha dey hadda do..and conveniently ignoring their responsibilities that many of them shun and have de place in de damn mess dat it in.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVYqk16Ggr8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hVYqk16Ggr8</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »
Bourbon and 'Cana thanks...

I have to admit that I'm no more enlightened after reading Cana post... and Bourbon, yours only feeding mih cynicism.  From Patos to Chavez to these "protesters", this Summit has provided ample opportunity fuh everybody to feed their inner attention whore.

1]; } ?>