April 19, 2024, 10:43:56 AM

Author Topic: I want an SUV  (Read 4574 times)

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
I want an SUV
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »
Yesterday while I was driving home from picking up the little lady, I came to a 4 way traffic stop that is about 4 blocks away from my home. I had the right of way,  my lights were green I was going straight, but from my angle I could see a sheriff's car coming from my left, lights flashing siren on. I could see him. The teenager in the SUV with his friends across the street  apparently could not or didn't know what a flashing police car meant. The teenager tried to beat the cop and failed. The cop car hit the very back end of the SUV. THe suv  spun a few times and ended up sitting a few inches away from my window. The cop car spun and landed head first into the ditch after it took out the SUV on my right which had inched up hoping to go around me after the cop car had passed. I sat there with a screaming 3 year old in the back seat not knowing what to do. I knew we didnt get hit directly although there was glass all over our car.

The first officer on the scene after checking on the other three cars, asked me if I was ok and if we were hit. I told him we were fine but I was a bit shaken up. Mind you by then I was physically shaking, I couldnt hold the wheel. THe officer told me to step out a bit, breathe, confort the baby and then when I was ready, move the car cause they needed to get the wreckage out. The second officer, on the scene about five mins later, asked me if I was hit and then when I told him I was not he yelled, move your F***ing car, we need to get the ambulance through. I started crying and he got even more pissy and kept yelling move your car. The first officer heard him and came running back and told him calm down, she was right there and there's glass on her car and she and the baby are a bit shaken up. The second officer came back and told me he was sorry about yelling but they needed to clear the area quickly and asked if I needed him to call someone to drive me. I told him no and I got myself together and left.

I later found out that The Sheriff that got hit is very much liked by both city police and troopers and his own men very much. he is a favorite so they were all worried. That came from my hubby who got called in to deal with all the passengers from the wreckage. The second and first officers also asked him how his wife was, and told him that I'd been pretty shaken up from the whole thing. He told them I came home, burst into tears, had a bottle of wine and then fell asleep. The three year old came home, burst into tears because I was crying and then had a bottle of chocolate milk, then fell asleep. The sheriff walked away with a broken elbow and a banged up leg. The teenagers in the SUV all walked out and had no serious injuries. The SUV that had been trying to pass me on the sly, was a woman and her elderly mother. Mom had whiplash, her daughter the driver had a busted lip from the airbag. The sheriff's car was totaled. But then again it did take out 2 suv's.  But it made me think. If he had spun out a little faster, if he had hit the first SUV more on the side or a little futher up from the back bumper, one of them would have slammed into us. And me VS SUV not a good thing nor is me vs a spinning sheriff's car.

SO now I want an SUV. Years ago, on I-95 someone cut me off and I yanked on the wheel in an effort to avoid them. I was doing 65 and didnt realise that Land Rovers hate when their wheel's get yanked. I lost control of the van, rolled a few times and hit a concrete divider. My ankle was twisted  and the airbag exploded in my face, breaking my sunglasses which cut my forehead. But I was hopping around a few hours later.

Now with kids, I want a car that if you hit me, I  and my passengers will walk away.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I want an SUV
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
All fine and good, as long as you understand the concepts of "high center of gravity", "oversteer/understeer".  That and you don't mind absorbing the additional penalties at the pump.

Had an SUV for 5 yrs... which was bought new, and I loved it.  Having driven a sedan for the last 5 however I don't see myself going back anytime soon.  Convenience is great... if you really need the additional cargo capacity and 4WD.  I prefer the performance and handling of a car.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
All fine and good, as long as you understand the concepts of "high center of gravity", "oversteer/understeer".  That and you don't mind absorbing the additional penalties at the pump.

BnS yuh hit the nail on the head there. In TnT people all buying up the hilux and other pickups and SUVs and gettin in horrible easily avoidable accidents.People don't realize that when you are lower to the ground you tend to notice how fast you are driving. Higher up you are you tend to think you are driving slower than you actually are. I read about that in a discover mag and noticed it myself after in my pickup..
Back in Trini...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »
doh talk about when you have to negotiate around a parking lot AND then when you find a spot to get the SUV into said spot, and back out again when is time to go home
believe you me, It becomes burdensome ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »
half of them pl who own them ting cant drive it...after school i does have to be outside to make sure the kids who ride home in cars get into them safely.   a time a woman with about 3 feet of space infront the SUV asking me to direct she, she feel she ent have enuf room.   lardddddddd

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
volvo xc 60

standard volvo safety tricks , WHIPS, SISPS, IC, airbags right around etc.
1500 pound weight resistant windshield
honeycomb steel chassis
centre beam reinforcements
lane departure warning beeper
retina scanner to check for drivers dozing off
the car does even stop itself in slow traffic even when yuh foot on the gas if yuh come too close too the car in front

yuh cyah get safer dan dat...
.only drawback is dey pricey
but then how could you put a price on your rosey cheeked cherubs?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »
volvo xc 60

standard volvo safety tricks , WHIPS, SISPS, IC, airbags right around etc.
1500 pound weight resistant windshield
honeycomb steel chassis
centre beam reinforcements
lane departure warning beeper
retina scanner to check for drivers dozing off
the car does even stop itself in slow traffic even when yuh foot on the gas if yuh come too close too the car in front
:drool:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
Go with class!

PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »
half of them pl who own them ting cant drive it...after school i does have to be outside to make sure the kids who ride home in cars get into them safely.   a time a woman with about 3 feet of space infront the SUV asking me to direct she, she feel she ent have enuf room.   lardddddddd

You sure she did not mistake yuh for a cabana boy with the locks yuh never know she might think she in on vacation still.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
BnS yuh hit the nail on the head there. In TnT people all buying up the hilux and other pickups and SUVs and gettin in horrible easily avoidable accidents.People don't realize that when you are lower to the ground you tend to notice how fast you are driving. Higher up you are you tend to think you are driving slower than you actually are. I read about that in a discover mag and noticed it myself after in my pickup..

Leh we not even talk about pick up trucks... people in Trinidad doh know (or care about) the difference between front wheel drive and Rear Wheel drive.  99% of all pick ups are RWD... minus the weight of the engine to provide traction the braking power of pick ups are compromised and shouldn't be driven the same as FWD vehicles.  I doubt anyone notices, let alone make the compensation for the additional braking distance.

doh talk about when you have to negotiate around a parking lot AND then when you find a spot to get the SUV into said spot, and back out again when is time to go home
believe you me, It becomes burdensome ;)

You have to be some kinda shithong driver.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »
Leh we not even talk about pick up trucks... people in Trinidad doh know (or care about) the difference between front wheel drive and Rear Wheel drive.  99% of all pick ups are RWD... minus the weight of the engine to provide traction the braking power of pick ups are compromised and shouldn't be driven the same as FWD vehicles.  I doubt anyone notices, let alone make the compensation for the additional braking distance.

Yeah I guess that's because pick up trucks are functionally designed to carry heavy cargo in the trailor, to even out the weight spread through the vehicle, and give the rear wheels the necessary traction....but the vast majority of fellas nowadays drivin' that for pure style wid nuttin in the trailor ;D

Good ting it eh have snow in Trini lol...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:37:57 PM »

You making skylark! People don't pay attention to braking distance in a B-15 or Yaris they will pay attention in a Frontier or Hilux?

VC, bigger doesn't mean safer. When researching what car to buy my gf did an exhausting search (more for me than her) on safety features in cars including the difference in an active or passive safety feature. Whether truck, SUV, sedan or whatever the vehicle check for features such as laminated windshields, tempered glass (side and rear), crumple zones, side impact protection beams or collapsible steering columns. BnS already mentioned higher centre of gravity on SUVs and as a result they are more prone to rollover accidents. They are also more prone to single vehicle accidents. On average you would give up 30 feet of braking distance.

Got this during our research and bookmarked the page:
Rollover
The high center of gravity of SUVs makes them more prone to rollover accidents than lower vehicles, especially if the vehicle leaves the road or in emergency maneuvers. Figures from the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that most passenger cars have about a 10% chance of rollover while most SUVs have between 14% to 20% (varying from a low of 14% for the AWD Ford Edge to a high of 23% for the FWD Ford Escape). Many modern SUVs are equipped with electronic stability control (ESC) to prevent rollovers on flat surfaces, but 95% of rollovers are "tripped" - meaning the vehicle strikes something low, such as a curb or shallow ditch, causing it to tip over.[4]

According to NHTSA data, SUV's and pickups are at quite a disadvantage in single-vehicle accidents (such as when the driver falls asleep, or loses control swerving around a deer), which comprise 43% of fatal accidents, with more than double the chance of rolling over. This risk relates closely to overall federal fatality data, showing that SUVs and pickups generally have a higher fatality rate than cars of a similar weight.

I am not saying don't get an SUV, just make sure and do the requisite safety research on any vehicle that you purchase.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
On earth day  :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:07 AM »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
Rollover
 This risk relates closely to overall federal fatality data, showing that SUVs and pickups generally have a higher fatality rate than cars of a similar weight.

Which car has the same weight as an SUV?

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
Rollover
 This risk relates closely to overall federal fatality data, showing that SUVs and pickups generally have a higher fatality rate than cars of a similar weight.

Which car has the same weight as an SUV?

So I go do that research for you too? If you have trouble with the concept do a little reading and get some more information on it.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
one ting i hate is when de driver,male or female drivin ah SUV and ketchin they ass to handle it.de funniest ting is to see them woman up under de frikkin steerin wheel so they could see over de bonnet.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »
Good you and the daughter ok now :)

instead of a SUV maybe you should look at a CUV
confortable as a sedan built like a truck
only thing is you cant do much off-road activity
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
one ting i hate is when de driver,male or female drivin ah SUV and ketchin they ass to handle it.de funniest ting is to see them woman up under de frikkin steerin wheel so they could see over de bonnet.

Too many people think of them as substitutes for minivans.  From a utility/convenience standpoint the SUV is a great replacement for the minivan, but people never really adjust their driving to account for the different handling (performance and breaking included) of the SUV.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »

Too many people think of them as substitutes for minivans.  From a utility/convenience standpoint the SUV is a great replacement for the minivan, but people never really adjust their driving to account for the different handling (performance and breaking included) of the SUV.
remember ah few years back de expedition had a problem with de firestone tires and roll over tendencies.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »

remember ah few years back de expedition had a problem with de firestone tires and roll over tendencies.

Was de Explorer... dey had a particular Firestone model dey was putting on de Explorer.  I should know, I had one and get free tires outta dat, lol

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 01:24:21 AM »
I jus buy ah 2006 ford escape.  Nice car for the most part, about the same on gas as a reg. car
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
Good you and the daughter ok now :)

instead of a SUV maybe you should look at a CUV
confortable as a sedan built like a truck
only thing is you cant do much off-road activity

Off road activity?? Boy for me off road activity consists of pulling into the parking lot at Walmart or Target on a Black friday and fighting to get a parking space.  :rotfl:

I used to have an Suburban many moons ago before "chick" and child as they say. Never had an accident in the 4 or so years I had it. Then I got an Acura SLX which I loved. Collided with a deer and only had to fix the front passenger door. Switched that to an Audi Allroad which was very nice but very expensive. Got the land rover which I flipped on the highway and totaled and after that we had a Maxima forever Also had a Camry. Now we have the Hyundai and the Sable and my old ford wagon. But I still want my Suburban back. Or an Explorer. I feel comfortable with those. Especially now that I have the kidlets. It's just a safety issue. I flipped a land rover and hopped away. I hit a deer with another SUV and was fine. Now I will admit that the Land Rover was partially my fault. It was new I wasnt comfortable driving it. It just didnt feel the same as the other bigger cars I'd had. I didn't know about the reaction time and the tendancy to roll. After I flipped that we had a loaner for a while, another Suburban. I had nearly the same incident take place on the highway from an off ramp and I pulled the wheel and the car responded nicely and smoothly, no getting up on 2 wheels, no rolling. Easier to control. I'm just more comfortable with it. The gas is not an issue, I do alot of driving for my job yes, but I have a company gas card so no biggie. We'll see. The Mercury is getting on in years so it is getting to be time for a newer-ish car.

I just want a big car. In this deer country, if I hit a deer, I want it to stay dead. Or to at least crumple under the wheels and not fly over the bonnet.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
It just didnt feel the same as the other bigger cars I'd had. I didn't know about the reaction time and the tendancy to roll. After I flipped that we had a loaner for a while, another Suburban. I had nearly the same incident take place on the highway from an off ramp and I pulled the wheel and the car responded nicely and smoothly, no getting up on 2 wheels, no rolling. Easier to control. I'm just more comfortable with it. The gas is
I just want a big car. In this deer country, if I hit a deer, I want it to stay dead. Or to at least crumple under the wheels and not fly over the bonnet.

dais because the 'burban is long wheel base and wide versus the short wheel base of the land rover..so it go flip real easy...kinda like balancing on tiptoes versus a wide flat footed stance....like when yuh about to tackle yuh husband in de bedroom

either way 'burbans a lil more difficult to flip...check dese wyle fellahs and yuh go remember your evasive manoeuvre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9QGJg1JtVk

it seems you from the 'bigger is safer' school of thought, which usually aint true but like everything else in life...get what yuh like oui...is you to make yuhself happy
come to think of it the last few driving posts you put up have some kinda drama involved in it.....maybe is jus time for you to stay off de people road  :devil:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

daiz some serious talk right there!

anyhow, almost every road in trini now is like going offroad. Even the highway pacth up all over and bumpy. It very differcult to tell if u tires bent ot the road wavy.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »
SO my husband who can be the most aggravating annoying irritating man at times, just returned home from taking the Hyundai for it's yearly inspection. He also brought home an early mother's day present for me.

If I ever talk bad bout the man 'gain, hit me a tap or two.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »
SO my husband who can be the most aggravating annoying irritating man at times, just returned home from taking the Hyundai for it's yearly inspection. He also brought home an early mother's day present for me.

If I ever talk bad bout the man 'gain, hit me a tap or two.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Bookmark dis post congrats u nag him or he does read dis page on d MB.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
 ;D ;D

I don't think I nagged him into it  :angel: But I did mention a few hundred times over the past couple years how much I really wanted an SUV.  :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
;D ;D

I don't think I nagged him into it  :angel: But I did mention a few hundred times over the past couple years how much I really wanted an SUV.  :rotfl:

Or it take a couple yrs 2 wear him down. But as Bush say Mission Accomplish

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »

1]; } ?>