March 28, 2024, 09:56:29 AM

Author Topic: Football in Tobago makes no sense  (Read 13933 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Football in Tobago makes no sense
« on: April 23, 2009, 03:59:47 AM »
Football in Tobago makes no sense
T&T Newsday Editorial.

THE EDITOR: The decision by the TTFF to play the next World Cup game in Tobago does not make any sense. In football terms, it is foolish to give away your home advantage since our own players will also be playing at the venue for the first time. On top of that there will be less than 10,000 fans instead of the 25,000 if it were held in Port-of-Spain.

In financial terms, it is even more puzzling since by their own admission the TTFF will lose some $2 million by playing in Tobago. Is this the same TTFF that claims that it desperately needs money and is always criticising the government for not giving more financial support? I wonder how sponsors feel about this since it gives the impression that the TTFF is full of money and can afford to choose a less profitable venue.

There is no logic behind this decision and it makes a mockery of their demands for more support from local fans and money from sponsors. One lame excuse is that it is because of Dwight Yorke’s return to football. But what about Russell Latapy’s first game as national coach? His popularity would guarantee a sell-out crowd and a packed Hasely Crawford stadium. Supporters from his roots in Laventille would come out in their thousands to give support. It almost seems that somebody wants the Little Magician to get as little hometown support as possible.

If it makes no financial or football sense, then maybe there is a political reason behind this decision. There is always a danger when sport is in the hands of politicians.

Sporting events are manipulated to suit their ambitions and maybe someone is trying to build political support in the two Tobago constituencies. Maybe someone remembered that it was these two seats that tilted the balance of power in a previous general election. There can be no other reason and let us hope that the national team does not end up paying a heavy price for this senseless and selfish decision.

D SINGH
Couva
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:02:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football in Tobago makes no sense
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:57:53 AM »
y dah man dey doh shut he arse. damn backside.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »

But the man make some good points.
Ah wouldna go so far as to cast aspersions about the Tobago politics things but the rest worth a listen.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:51 AM »
Whey i say is a official Newsday editorial oui. I now go to ask if Tobagonians go boycott newsday now.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »
Boycott is an Englishman who played cricket for England d only boycott we know.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »
Boycott is an Englishman who played cricket for England d only boycott we know.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:29:59 AM »

Seems to make sense to me. Perhaps there is something I am missing here, Gazza.

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:53:36 AM »
I agree 100% with the writer. I dont understand the logic of playing a world cup qualifier in front of less than 10,000 people.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:59:14 AM »
I agree 100% with the writer. I dont understand the logic of playing a world cup qualifier in front of less than 10,000 people.

Logic and d TTFF
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:12:33 AM »
Ah wouldna go so far as to cast aspersions about the Tobago politics things but the rest worth a listen.

Attitudes such as those espoused by the writer is why there will continue to be a divide between the people of Trinidad and the people of Tobago.  Tobago fans ent people too?  They don't deserve to see a qualifier in their backyard... as much as Tobago has contributed to our football over the years?  Yes this is a 'must win' qualifier, but where TnT is concerned every qualifier will be must win for some time to come... it will be a while before we comfortably qualify for the WC.  Fans in Tobago deserve better and this is a good opportunity for them to get to see a game without having to hop on the ferry.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »
The only logic I could think of is that Simpaul's probably have some highpriced "ticket or leave it" scheme in Costa Rica for high priced hotel packages in Tobago that weekend. Either that or you will hear soon that he having a set of FIFA execs coming down for some function (so FIFA paying top dollar to host all of them).

That way Jack could tell Orville London he help to boost the sagging Tourism economy and try to get him to join Ramjack in time for the next election.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »
The only logic I could think of is that Simpaul's probably have some highpriced "ticket or leave it" scheme in Costa Rica for high priced hotel packages in Tobago that weekend. Either that or you will hear soon that he having a set of FIFA execs coming down for some function (so FIFA paying top dollar to host all of them).

That way Jack could tell Orville London he help to boost the sagging Tourism economy and try to get him to join Ramjack in time for the next election.

D former very possible but d latter eh happenin

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
this makes no sense.... aside from the fact that the TTFF loosing money, arent we a country.. we should take pride that out country consist of 2 beautiful isles, this is a really touchy subject with respects to Trinbagonians and Trinidadians. The Trini's would never accept Tobagonians as equals.. well not all of em that is. change is inevitable, like it or not it always happens.

" Our Ignorance towards life and people, leads us to failure at every instant we think we have achieved"
Christon J Harrypersad

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »
Maybe Caribbean Airlines could organise two plane for the Trinis and fly over the stadium during the match. You might laugh but the ticket still cheaper than Covered Stands !

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »
I hope they could erect some temporary seating for the game.... I am already past the point of why....

We should just prepare for when
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
Maybe Caribbean Airlines could organise two plane for the Trinis and fly over the stadium during the match. You might laugh but the ticket still cheaper than Covered Stands !

D noise go b louder than d HCS as well

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »
watch how Tobago will come out and support and make the HCS crowd feel shame.

Well it eh have nuttin cuz waggonist doh feel shame bout nuttin ... dey does jess move on to the next all inclusive.

One setta people up in arms about Tobago getting an important game.
Maybe they would like to see Tobago get an inconsequential game when nothing on the line - so if the people don't come out, then it will suit their own personal agenda to say football in Tobago is a bust.

Is the same type of nonsense you does hear when TT cricket team play at Guaracara Park in PaP. All dem northies does cry about how they have to come all the way down south, but when the games at QPO, it does have more Cepep workers liming on Savannah benches than it have supporters in the stands.
When the games played in South, is because the line to reach in the park stretching out to the main road, and the grass bank packed with people.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
The only reasonable point the man made was to ask why choose to lose $2 million and then always complaining about not having money.

A sell out is a sell out. Playing in front of a ram out crowd of 10,000 is still playing in a sold out stadium. Unless the alternative is playing in front of a sell out crowd of 50,000 plus there's little difference in the effect, especially if the crowd is noisy in its support.

Again I return to the point about HCS being this big home venue for us. We drew our last WCQ there when we could easily have lost and we also lost to Bermuda there. What is the evidence for familiarity with the venue being an advantage? The only advantage seems to be in potential revenue earned.

I agree with both BnS and jimmel... it's Trinidad and Tobago. The people of Tobago are as much fans of the T&T team as the people of Trinidad. We have it real sweet here in this country... as I said in another thread. We clearly have no real problems here so we decide we have to create some silly ones.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:39:32 AM »

Attitudes such as those espoused by the writer is why there will continue to be a divide between the people of Trinidad and the people of Tobago.  Tobago fans ent people too?  They don't deserve to see a qualifier in their backyard... as much as Tobago has contributed to our football over the years?  Yes this is a 'must win' qualifier, but where TnT is concerned every qualifier will be must win for some time to come... it will be a while before we comfortably qualify for the WC.  Fans in Tobago deserve better and this is a good opportunity for them to get to see a game without having to hop on the ferry.

bakes ah understand whey yuh comin from but before we get to your argument we must ask...why now? why does the TTFFWarner wait until now to schedule a game in Tobago? Is it really about including them? At this crucial point in the qualifiers wouldn't a larger home crowd give us that 12th man advantage?
Also, you know that hengjack is a man governed by his pocket and such a man does not give up something to not gain anything.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »
At this crucial point in the qualifiers wouldn't a larger home crowd give us that 12th man advantage?

Have you ever been to a match in the HCS? What advantage does our quiet crowd give the team? It's been thoroughly discussed that we aren't noisy supporters.

My question for you is why not now? What is the message you send to an important demograph in your country that they can only host a match without meaning?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
As much as the crowd isn't loud, having numbers presents an intimidation factor which is just as important.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »
bakes ah understand whey yuh comin from but before we get to your argument we must ask...why now? why does the TTFFWarner wait until now to schedule a game in Tobago? Is it really about including them? At this crucial point in the qualifiers wouldn't a larger home crowd give us that 12th man advantage?
Also, you know that hengjack is a man governed by his pocket and such a man does not give up something to not gain anything.

MEP ah kinda already addressed that... the question of "why now?".  Why NOT now?  Is there ever such a thing as a 'non-crucial' qualifier for our team?  We battling for 3rd-4th... and will be in that position for some time... all our qualifiers will be crucial for the forseeable future. 

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
As much as the crowd isn't loud, having numbers presents an intimidation factor which is just as important.

Important for the bank account, not important from a football perspective. This isn't an U-15 match, these are professionals playing in front of 40,000 noisy fans on a weekly basis.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
Ah wonder if any of the warm up matches prior to the June 6th Costa Rica game will be played in Tobago?

Fuh de team to get at least a little feel fuh playin on dey "home ground" nah.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »
At this crucial point in the qualifiers wouldn't a larger home crowd give us that 12th man advantage?

Have you ever been to a match in the HCS? What advantage does our quiet crowd give the team? It's been thoroughly discussed that we aren't noisy supporters.

My question for you is why not now? What is the message you send to an important demograph in your country that they can only host a match without meaning?

Remember men don't post when the game going on so how you expect them to sing, clap, beat a drum, knock a bottle or wave a flag while the team playing. Men have to sit and look, not jump and wave spurring on the players.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »
Thisis not about Trinidad or Tobago.

This is about TRINIDAD & TOBAGO.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »

:applause: :applause: :applause: :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »
Thisis not about Trinidad or Tobago.

This is about TRINIDAD & TOBAGO.

Cosign because both islands headin 4 south quay

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »
I have no issue with the game playing in Tobago. I Think is a good thing. It is time Tobago get some WC games and important ones to booth. But I also agree with the writer. I don,t think that there is any malice intended to the proud people of Tobago.

When was the last time a WC game was play in Sando. In the past QPO had nothing on Skinner's Park when it comes to supporting football. In the future the qualifying games should be played in Sando, Palo Seco and Tobago. How come the US could go to any city and play with ease, They still cut we arse. The fact of the matter is that our team is playing poorly. If they were winning this argument would be MUTE.

We knew ahead of time where all the US games are playing for the HEX. TTFF does decide we go play here in a now for now fashion. Is the team going to play some practice game in the DYS to get acclimatise? By the way, Are they going to play Venezuela or Tobago United?

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
The only reasonable point the man made was to ask why choose to lose $2 million and then always complaining about not having money.

A sell out is a sell out. Playing in front of a ram out crowd of 10,000 is still playing in a sold out stadium. Unless the alternative is playing in front of a sell out crowd of 50,000 plus there's little difference in the effect, especially if the crowd is noisy in its support.

Again I return to the point about HCS being this big home venue for us. We drew our last WCQ there when we could easily have lost and we also lost to Bermuda there. What is the evidence for familiarity with the venue being an advantage? The only advantage seems to be in potential revenue earned.

I agree with both BnS and jimmel... it's Trinidad and Tobago. The people of Tobago are as much fans of the T&T team as the people of Trinidad. We have it real sweet here in this country... as I said in another thread. We clearly have no real problems here so we decide we have to create some silly ones.

We lost to Bermuda at the Marvin Lee Stadium, we have not lost a World Cup Qualifier at the Hasely Crawford stadium since Mexico beat us 3-1 there in 2004. We have only lost twice in the HCS since then, to Haiti in Digicel Cup final in 07 and England..well four times if you want to count Beenhakker games versus the Paraguay club and North East stars...

I think we should have rotated the venues more though, although I don't think it should have been this game, but if the support in Tobago is better than the HCS, which it might prove to be...all power to them..who knows Tobago may turn in to our real home fortress..you never know...

1]; } ?>