April 23, 2024, 03:11:09 PM

Author Topic: The solution for T&T football, and T&T as a whole!  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
The solution for T&T football, and T&T as a whole!
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
I started this as a post, but it got so long I decided to make a thread with it.

Just blasted disgusting the incompetence of our Football setup ,and absolutely shocking is the incompetence of some(prob most) of our local coaches, that is ruining most of our young players with international-class talent by teaching them rubbish, they don't learn the essentials of the game(dribbling means nothing if you can't get a pass or cross off properly after)

The best investment the government can make in local football(which IS the biggest sport in T&T, and therefore can make a big positive impact on this nation), is to get our local coaches official training- they could probably sponsor the best local coaches in getting their official uefa licenses, and also take some of our tax dollars to hire a few top quality youth coaches from europe or a top club in south america, to coach every level of our youth teams. Also, they should get those same coaches to set up some local exam that coaches of ALL intercol teams would have to have passed. The local clubs need to also set up REAL acadamy systems, of course with good coaches with proper  training.

Dribbling is at most 20% of the game, but we spend 80% of the time learning that, and 20% of the time learning everything else that accounts for 80% of the game. Doesn't something look a little wrong there?

edit: BTW that 80% part of the game is:
. passing(passing accurately intelligently, and being able to TRULY use our natural dribbling skills to create space and get off a good pass)

. Doing things quickly- that doesn't mean running fast, its deciding the best thing to do with the ball and pulling it off instantly, without having to charge up to do it, be it a pass, a flick or a cross, as soon as you get the ball. All top players have this, and most players in top leagues are at least ok at it. A good example of one of the best at this is Paul Scholes. Watch his game, as soon as a lane to pass or cross opens, the ball is already on its way.(and accurately too)

. Ball control over the entire body, being able to bring down a rocket cross exactly where you want it.( not all will be able to do this, but with proper practice, everyone will be able to bring it down at least close to where they want it, as you see in all top leagues)

.Off the ball movement and constant positioning and create chances(absolutely critical for a team to play solidly(to not look like conceding any goals in a match, and most times not conceding any or only a few. basically, you will NEVER EVER get beaten 7-0 if you do this properly, together with everything else I mentioned) Watch Manchester United and Barca play for off the ball movement. EVERYTIME a player has the ball, other must run and make clear passing lanes for him, there must always be at least 2 options, ALWAYS. I like ManU's off the ball movement in midfield, and Barca's own around the box. Of course positioning is one of the top attributes of a good defender.

. Crossing: Basically, being able to hit the ball in the air and have it land exactly where you want accurately. Of course also includes being able to impart good backspin when you want, to hit the type of crosses that land delicately, not just smashing your foot into the ball in the approximate place you want it to go and hope it comes off. Again, only a select few players will master it to the point of crosshair like accuracy, but as in real professional European club academies, all the players will have a good competency of it and be comfortable when they have to do a basic cross, so when their cross goes way off its the norm and not a lucky anomaly worthy to sit back and be admired.

. Heading the ball accurately.(one place where our players seem to be getting good training with)

. Defending as a team, everytime an opponent has the ball there must be pressure on him from a player, whilst the team still keeps it's proper defensive shape.

. Notice I didn't say ball possession, because that will come naturally when all these parts are added up. They eqaul ball possession, a solid team thats hard to break down and score on, and a team that will create chances. I know I prob missed out a few points, but I don't have any more time. Of course I left out dribbling, cause we are already good at that and spend too much time on that! I remember Bourbon made a post describing how our incompetent game and players(despite the obvious talent) is a result of how what most of our mostly learn the game from- undisciplined small-goal. Almost everything I mentioned above isn't required in small goal. If you can dribble you're labeled a star and your head gets swollen.(further hampering your development) In Brazil they play small goal, but the best players, that we see as stars in Europe, attend local club academies that can be compared to the best in Europe.

Of course the team manager and match tactics are of tremendous importance, but even with lesser managers with questionable tactics, teams with solid, well rounded and  developed players will not consistently perform weakly against top opponents, as so many times with different youth levels and senior level teams of T&T when we come up against so-called "top opponents".

A good manager can aide in hiding the faults of individual players by strenuous drilling of the team unit, but there will still be many times when those fundamental flaws in players get exposed, so a good few times play reasonably solidly, but occasionally be swept away, and almost never win against top opposition- even with the best manager. What we truly need are both, players developed from young to be solid, well rounded and  developed players,(the way to do this I described above), top managers, and coaches who are properly trained (preferably with badges) and tactically sound. Of course the latter is tremendously required for the former.

Under the present trademark haphazard T&T way things are done, anyone that comes out a good player(i.e. who's good and solid at the 80% part of the game that's not dribbling) has done so against all the odds. Don't think I'm bashing our players and being unappreciative about our coaches, but out of the certainly hundreds of very talented youngsters over the years, how many have really made it and held down a place in top leagues in Europe? I can probably count that on one hand. Is that because there's a conspiracy against Trinidad and constantly Trinidadian Ronaldo's are ignored? Is it because our players simply cannot develop into complete players? No it isn't. Most of our players are experts at the 20%-dribbling, but when they go to trails at top clubs, they don't get though, because they flunk at the 80% that I described before. Of course in every slapdash system there'll be pockets of excellence- i.e. players that are exceptional, and coaches that are very good and do great and very admirable work with the youths, but they are few and far between, and for anyone who has a spirit of excellence that is miles away from enough.

Look up haphazard in the dictionary, and you'll see Trinidad(btw, I'm calling Oxford now to report them of the error in theirs). I've come to realize that's the exact word that can be used to described almost every system in this country, and the football authority and youth development isn't any different. Things aren't done in a thorough, complete and all encompassing, well planed way with foresight and excellence. The few things that are done that way are the exceptions. In some of the more developed nations, that is the culture. That's why the US could have their football authority operating so efficiently, even though football(soccer) isn't at all the main sport there, because that is their culture. Trinidad has a culture of haphazard that we have to break, I am seeing some progress recently, but not anywhere close to enough.

What's your say on this, do you agree, or disagree with some of this or all? Btw I can't believe I wrote all that.

I didn't get chance to re-read this, so sorry in advance for and grammatical errors, typos,etc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:22:24 PM by Peter »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The solution for T&T football, and T&T as a whole!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
Peter,
          This may sound strange, probably the best thing for the govt to do is to stay out of football and let it just dead. As long as AJW in charge nothing go change.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
De solution for T&T football..and T&T as a whole:

We as a people need to get serious with wha we about. Ironically our national watchwords are three things that we in short supply of...discipline...production and tolerance.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
You right!... that would have been a long post .. lol  but a feel yuh fustration :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:34 PM »
Peter,
          This may sound strange, probably the best thing for the govt to do is to stay out of football and let it just dead. As long as AJW in charge nothing go change.

Sayin dat 4 long time
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:39 AM »
camps
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:07:53 AM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
I am an optimist. There must be something we can do. Throwing our hands up in the air is not the answer.

It was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who said, "If a man hasn't found something he's willing to die for; he's not fit to live." Now, for me that thing is not football. But that spirit is the thing most Trini's seem to lack--the desperation about crucial things whereby we don't take no for an answer. There must be some in the land who are committed and smart enough to form a "think tank" around the idea of improving T&T's football program. Some who will brainstorm untill they come up with a solution and proceed to implement it with a determination that will bring results. I am an optimist.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »
I am an optimist. There must be something we can do. Throwing our hands up in the air is not the answer.

It was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who said, "If a man hasn't found something he's willing to die for; he's not fit to live." Now, for me that thing is not football. But that spirit is the thing most Trini's seem to lack--the desperation about crucial things whereby we don't take no for an answer. There must be some in the land who are committed and smart enough to form a "think tank" around the idea of improving T&T's football program. Some who will brainstorm untill they come up with a solution and proceed to implement it with a determination that will bring results. I am an optimist.

Well after we eh sell 50 black juzzy last yr my optimism died

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
Trinidad football is a victim of the quality of the overseas leagues and the ready viewing avaliability of these leages. In short no one want to come out to see football that they percieve to be inferior to what they see on television. (Notice I said percieve). This means small gates receipts and even less resources available to upgrade the standard of football.
The Pro League I beleive is marketed improperly. There is a tenuous link between the clubs and their communities. I beleive these links should made stronger..Visit schools in their area, go on walk abouts , have a car wash , do something to raise the profile of the clubs affiliation with San Juan , Marabella , Tobago to name a few.
Everybody like to bash Jack  but everytime the man withdraws his support it leaves a vaccum that no other stakeholder , be it government , private institutions wants to fill . And make no mistake , He who pays the piper will ALWAYS call the tune.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »

It eh die, it just seething beneath the skin waiting for the right forces to bring a wave of hope and belief back to your mind.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
Trinidad football is a victim of the quality of the overseas leagues and the ready viewing avaliability of these leages. In short no one want to come out to see football that they percieve to be inferior to what they see on television. (Notice I said percieve). This means small gates receipts and even less resources available to upgrade the standard of football.
The Pro League I beleive is marketed improperly. There is a tenuous link between the clubs and their communities. I beleive these links should made stronger..Visit schools in their area, go on walk abouts , have a car wash , do something to raise the profile of the clubs affiliation with San Juan , Marabella , Tobago to name a few.

Everybody like to bash Jack  but everytime the man withdraws his support it leaves a vaccum that no other stakeholder , be it government , private institutions wants to fill . And make no mistake , He who pays the piper will ALWAYS call the tune.

Well put. You said a mouthful. These have been discussed here ad nauseam.

Ay, how does it feel to see clearly (we think), be able to articulate the problem and be only an uninvolved fan/spectator? Thats our frustration.

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Mackie man, I totally agree with you, you know how long I saying one of the main thing thats tremendously hampering the pro league right now is next to NO marketing. Its ridiculous, I mean, unless I absolutely go searching for it, there just absolutely NO chance I would know when and where matches are going on, to attend, that together with everything else you said. I'm too busy now to respond to all the comments made by everyone, but so far I think I more or less agree with every comment made. Thanks everyone.

Take care.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
The TTFF need to implement a solid progressive structure for youth football. Depending on clubs or schools only will get us no where fast. Have paid coaches on staff who scout the country (elementary school, high school, clubs, sweat in village savanahs, ect) for potential players and then hold district training and tryouts. Maybe they could collaborate with the Ministry of youth affairs or something. After selecting better players in the district, each district play each other and then form all star teams and play again. During these events the National staf is invited to have a look and maybe conduct a session ofr two with the players.
This will give the youths something to look forward to and work harder at their game. If we are serious about football serious investment of time and money will have to take place. We can't just dismiss every idea as it will not work. It is difficult but it could be done.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »
The TTFF need to implement a solid progressive structure for youth football. Depending on clubs or schools only will get us no where fast. Have paid coaches on staff who scout the country (elementary school, high school, clubs, sweat in village savanahs, ect) for potential players and then hold district training and tryouts. Maybe they could collaborate with the Ministry of youth affairs or something. After selecting better players in the district, each district play each other and then form all star teams and play again. During these events the National staf is invited to have a look and maybe conduct a session ofr two with the players.
This will give the youths something to look forward to and work harder at their game. If we are serious about football serious investment of time and money will have to take place. We can't just dismiss every idea as it will not work. It is difficult but it could be done.

man elan, I totally agree with you, great suggestions man! I really think having an organised structure like that will really make youths work harder at their game.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »

It eh die, it just seething beneath the skin waiting for the right forces to bring a wave of hope and belief back to your mind.

So I should keep hope alive

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
We should have an elite programme in every district where the best are selected and live together, study and eat together. Have a special curriculum for them. And they compete all year round against each other also against overseas competition. Must maintain also a certain academic average to remain. Also open to ingress other talented athletes. All the teachers and coaches should be degree trained or very highly certified in all the academic and sports concept so as to produce the best product possible. They eat sleep and drink football, and have a special curriculum to ensure they do academics. We have people trained in the country or this having been in other countries that are more successful at sport than we are. They live at the institution and go home for only some weekends in there is no competition.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »
We should have an elite programme in every district where the best are selected and live together, study and eat together. Have a special curriculum for them. And they compete all year round against each other also against overseas competition. Must maintain also a certain academic average to remain. Also open to ingress other talented athletes. All the teachers and coaches should be degree trained or very highly certified in all the academic and sports concept so as to produce the best product possible. They eat sleep and drink football, and have a special curriculum to ensure they do academics. We have people trained in the country or this having been in other countries that are more successful at sport than we are. They live at the institution and go home for only some weekends in there is no competition.

UTT doing dat now strt and d vast majority of d footballers from d last under 17 eh take d offer.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »

UTT doing dat now strt and d vast majority of d footballers from d last under 17 eh take d offer.

That's the thing right there Weary. We have to find a way to make the idea of staying home and attending college at UWI or UTT more attractive to the younger players. Maybe we start by bringing foreign coaches? Have a discussion with the young players to find out what they may need to get them interested in staying home and playing. There are many different avenues that can be expored in developing a comprehensive national program.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »

That's the thing right there Weary. We have to find a way to make the idea of staying home and attending college at UWI or UTT more attractive to the younger players. Maybe we start by bringing foreign coaches? Have a discussion with the young players to find out what they may need to get them interested in staying home and playing. There are many different avenues that can be expored in developing a comprehensive national program.

D other disciplines buy d program but football seem not intrested.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »

Yes, Sista girl, yes. ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »

Yes, Sista girl, yes. ;D

Lets just say if it was not 4 this forum I would have done wit football as I was after d strike squad and how I am wit WI cricket.

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 05:27:23 AM »

ahh, thats great UTT is starting something like that, that's good they're trying, but that will not produce the quality of footballers we need. Simple as that. The reason is because people enter university, say at 18 yrs old average, and in football that is simply too old to start real development as a player, and if they possibly get top quality coaches, most youths will have to start really learning the fundamental at 18 yrs old, when youths at REAL football academies in serious contries are already solid in the fundamentals of the game at about 14 yrs old, so the years after that is just continuing development and developing consistency. That's why boys like Bojan can play in the Champions League for Barca at 17 yrs old, and Cristiano Ronaldo starting for Manchester United in the EPL at 18.

That excellent suggestion from Gazza IS what we need, but I'll refine it n add a little more- We need prob. 1 football academy built in every major district in T&T, that scouts and accepts youths from 9 yrs old upwards, who are exceptional at football, the best players in that area. The main subject will be football, and they'll be taught and developed physically, skillwise, fundamentally and mentally, by top coaches, with their UEFA pro badges, and also trainers with the necessary degrees, etc. The children are also taught the regular primary school and secondary school syllabus.

We can debate whether to have all the children boarding and taught together, like a boarding school, but with primary focus on football, though with the children understanding that they must work more focus and harder with the less time they have for schoolwork.

Or, should only those that have no other option board at the academy, and others stay at home, and they all attend public schools, but meet all meet there at around 4pm everyday to train into the night(on new well lit fields of course*grin*)

I think some of them boarding and some home(basically just bunking there) according to their circumstances, and the academy classes starting a little sooner, and them having a shortened but more intense academic schooling(which includes football tactics, theory n science behind ball movement, psychology, etc) in the morning, and starting football at like 1:00pm onwards will definitely be most effective, also having them away from that small-minded starboy footballer mentality in public schools will be greatly better for their development.

Also, they compete all year round against each other also against overseas competition. Also open to ingress other talented athletes.(from Gazza) I also wonder if they could prob compete against intercol opposition(or Pro League), now and again, not consistently though, I think this could serve as motivation for the Intercol players, and also as a way of scouting. There could be a Pro League team name The Academy, and the top players 14yrs and older from each academy around the country, can be chosen to be sent to the main academy, that trains like a top club and plays in the Pro League.

(*mouth waters at this thought* Imagine that! Our best players playing in a professional league while still being rigorously developed by the best coaches! Imagine the caliber our hugely talented players will be when they reach 19yrs old if their talent is so rigorously refined like this from very young! When you think of how a few of them have so much talent and drive that they still reach to a high level at a young age, even through this useless haphazard system! This academy system will truly vie for being among the best in the World! *dreams*)

On the topic of scouting, each academy will have a few full time time scouts assigned the respective district, and even keeping their eyes open for any exceptional talents in fellow Concacaf countries, where there isn't opportunities for the player to develop, if they're good enough at the academy trail they could be drafted in, but only the absolute best of the best(a few) from foreign nations.

The nutrition of the youths will also be paid very careful attention to, the best diet for their physical development will be developed and they'll be fed this.

Man, just thinking about this and typing it out makes me feel so excited and happy at what something like this could do(thanks for bringing this up and elaborating on it so clearly Gazza!) The number of quality players we'll get from a system like this will be amazing, based on the staggering number of talented youths we have for a country so small. This system will marry our exceptional dribbling skills with European solidity and composure, like the modern day Brazilian players.

Also, even beyond the unimaginable impact it will have on our football, and thereby on the society, as sport is proven to have a tremendous impact on people's mentalities, seeing their own succeed in sport or play to contest the best gives people amazing hope, and upliftment, 2 things that impact a people positively tremendously. Just look at the nation's unity and overall difference during the last qualifying matches of WC06 n the WC.

The youths who are football academy quality will have the option of boarding at the academy to sleep, or going home to sleep. This will afford youths in depressed communities a much better quality of life, as the living quarters will be very nice and comfortable, and all the youths for as long as they're in the academy will be served top quality nutritious food.

This will add tremendous opportunities for youths all over the country, it will bring plenty excitement and hopefulness(hope to get through in your football dreams, and to see such a genuinely caring initiative like this for the people), and naturally a bit of discipline comes with sport. It will give the youths in depressed communities a bit more hope and a very encouraging reason to spend their free time playing football, in hope of getting through to the academy, instead partaking in "gangster" idiocy and ignorance.(Also, not football, but I propose building Libraries in every major community in T&T.)

Man, this sounds sooo good, but I know it's just fantasy talk and practically an impossibility to have something like this with the present government and football authorities, and those in recent memory. The only way this can happen is through some private persons getting it done. Simple as that. I'll friggin like how this sounds!!!! I think I'll have to start this myself!! ;D

Take care of yourselves!(p.s. thanks to Gazza for many of the points, and for expressing this idea so clearly!)

Check out thsi documentary on Cristiano Ronaldo to get some insight into how REAL football academies operate.(the Sporting Lisbon football academy)

"Cristiano Ronaldo- the boy who had a dream":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFnqDmzjsbI&feature=related
There is all the parts of the doc on youtube.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:00:37 AM by Peter »

1]; } ?>