April 29, 2024, 05:52:55 AM

Author Topic: WHY IS THIS STILL A PROBLEM LOUD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS  (Read 15029 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WHY IS THIS STILL A PROBLEM LOUD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »
But if reared improperly they are ferocious relentless animals that will stop at nothing to annihilate an adversary. Anybody who has experience with them knows this.

Zandolie, "if reared imprpoerly".  They can't even raise they own children, you expecting them to rear pitbulls properly.

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »
Now when I heard this news earlier this week I thought that amendments had been made to the original bill and was now going to be proclaimed.  But its apparently the 12 year old bill with all the problems in it that kept it from being proclaimed in the first place that will be made law......knee jerk reaction by government??   :-\

Dangerous Dogs Act to be made law...after 12 years
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Finally!
After languishing on the books for 12 years since its passage by the Parliament in June 2000, the Dangerous Dogs Act is to be proclaimed on August 1, 2012.
A release from the Ministry of the Attorney General stated yesterday that Cabinet at its meeting last Thursday agreed "that the Act, by Proclamation of the President, would come into force on 1 August, 2012.

"The Government is of the view that the proclamation of the Act is critical because of the great harm and injury being caused daily to law-abiding citizens when these dogs are not properly secured and controlled."
The Act imposes certain obligations on the owners or keepers of dangerous dogs such. For instance, the owner of every dangerous dog must have insurance in the sum of at least $250,000 for each dog.
The purpose of the Act is to prohibit persons from importing and breeding dangerous dogs, to impose other restrictions in respect of dangerous dogs, to regulate the manner in which dangerous dogs are kept by their owner or keeper, and to make further provision to ensure than such dogs are kept under proper control so as to ensure public safety.

The Act categorises as dangerous dogs:
1) pitbull terrier or any dog bred from a pitbull terrier
2) a Fila Brasileiro or any dog bred from a Fila Brasileiro
3) a Japanese Tosa or any dog bred from a Japanese Tosa.

However, under the Act the Minister of Local Government is given the power to declare any other type of dog as a dangerous dog.
Within three months of the Act coming into force a person who owns a dangerous dog must have it spayed or neutered by a veterinary surgeon, register it with the Ministry of Local Government; and apply for and get an annual license from the Municipal Corporation in the area where he lives.
Failure to acquire the $500 licence means that the person has committed the summary offence of keeping or owning an unlicensed dangerous dog, for which there is a penalty of a $50,000 fine and imprisonment for one year. The Act also bans the importation, breeding or sale of a dangerous dog and also prohibits a person under 18 from owning a dangerous dog. If a person cannot comply with any of the provisions of the Act, he/she must give his/her dangerous dog to the Ministry of Local Government which would then destroy it.

Once a dangerous dog escapes from any premises, the owner of the dog is liable for any injury or damage caused by the dog. The owner must ensure that the premises on which the dog is kept is secured by a fence or wall of a suitable height and constructed and maintained so as to prevent the dog from escaping.
The owner also must have a notice properly displayed that there is a dangerous dog on his premises.
The release stated that regulations would soon be prepared to give effect to the purpose of the Act. "The Government has noted with great concern the recent and growing attacks on law-abiding citizens by pitbulls. The facts show that often these dangerous dogs are not properly trained or secured. In recent times, dangerous dogs have been allowed to escape onto the road and attack persons, causing severe injuries and, in some cases, death," the release added.
Last April four-year-old Ezekiel Renne-Cambridge who was mauled by two German Shepherd dogs (not defined as dangerous dogs) ended up in Intensive Care Unit of the San Fernando Hospital where he was treated and discharged.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_to_be_made_law___after_12_years-147685635.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
Wham brownin, yuh fraid dogs or what??  ;D
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
Wham brownin, yuh fraid dogs or what??  ;D

uh huh....yeeesss..... :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
D bill have flaws. Say what my doberman doh fall in that list, so I safe for now
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »
the heart of the law makin sense man...I sure the particulars could be worked out.  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »
the heart of the law makin sense man...I sure the particulars could be worked out.  :beermug:

Really?  A law that designates entire breeds of dogs (completely unsupported by the science) "makin sense"?  How is the designation of a "dangerous" breed made?  Is it based on the number of dog bites?  Or how high a profile the dog bite attracts?  Because if is number of dog bites then 'mongrel' must certainly be the most dangerous 'breed' on Earth.  Does the bill ban the ownership of mongrels?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »

Really?  A law that designates entire breeds of dogs (completely unsupported by the science) "makin sense"?  How is the designation of a "dangerous" breed made?  Is it based on the number of dog bites?  Or how high a profile the dog bite attracts?  ..
nope. if i were in kindergarten i might think like that, but since i have some O's under my belt I might say a good statistic would have a ratio in it...maybe : fatalities caused per unit population (of dogs in question).  or serious injury per unit dog population.  or serious injury per unit incident dog attack. either way the essence of a) increasing the incentive for owners of dangerous dogs (i know, no such thing right :)  to make absolutely sure their dogs don't get out and hurt nobody (I have full trust in the insurance companies to make negligent owners feel it in the pocket) b) have some set system of compensation in place (just like with cars) and c) having some beginning of a system where dogs are tied to owners, and eventually sometime when we reach 1st world status (20/20? :), maybe all dogs will have to be registered, like here in Atlanta, GA (no doubt spurred on by the whole Vick scenario).  and yes I have a pitbull now which makes it the 3rd that I've trusted from birth with my 3 youngest infant kids..and I don't know if i trust other breeds like i trust them.  but i also know what they can do in the wrong owners' hands. not every idiot in t&t deserve to own a pitbull...kinda like driving...thaz why i like the approach.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »
nope. if i were in kindergarten i might think like that, but since i have some O's under my belt I might say a good statistic would have a ratio in it...maybe : fatalities caused per unit population (of dogs in question).  or serious injury per unit dog population.  or serious injury per unit incident dog attack. either way the essence of a) increasing the incentive for owners of dangerous dogs (i know, no such thing right :)  to make absolutely sure their dogs don't get out and hurt nobody (I have full trust in the insurance companies to make negligent owners feel it in the pocket) b) have some set system of compensation in place (just like with cars) and c) having some beginning of a system where dogs are tied to owners, and eventually sometime when we reach 1st world status (20/20? :), maybe all dogs will have to be registered, like here in Atlanta, GA (no doubt spurred on by the whole Vick scenario).  and yes I have a pitbull now which makes it the 3rd that I've trusted from birth with my 3 youngest infant kids..and I don't know if i trust other breeds like i trust them.  but i also know what they can do in the wrong owners' hands. not every idiot in t&t deserve to own a pitbull...kinda like driving...thaz why i like the approach.

All this says is that you are unfamiliar with the law, yuh "O's" should at least allow yuh to recognize what the law says from what it doesn't.  Aside from the insurance proposal, which is ridiculous... nothing you said applies to the law.  There were no statistics cited in support of the law, which lends to the conclusion that certain breeds are more dangerous than others... unless you're citing newspaper headlines.  Further, there is no definition of what constitutes "serious injury", which is necessary as an elementary matter. If all dogs are to be registered then the law should just say so.  If owners are ultimately to be held responsible then the law should just say so.  Your experience with your own pitbulls supports the conclusion that the law is misguided... but in your mind a misguided approach is better than no approach.  If that works for you then what ah go tell yuh...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:56:19 AM by Bakes »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
Dis law beyond normal levels of dotish. If i didnt know better I woulda say is an Anand creation.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 04:50:59 AM »

I don't think it will be too hard to check the morgue records and see how many fatalities were attributed to dog bites in T&T. I would guess that the corresponding rates would be higher than in the US - more than 1/2 of all deaths by rottweiler or pitbull derivatives. The dog landscape different in Trini.  In durham, NC (and maybe even all over NC and other places I dunno) it is illegal to chain your dog if you aren't with it. In trini that is how some people dogs spend they whole life. Optimally, I would love for all owners to just treat their dogs right and cut down the mauling incidents so we wouldn't need misguided laws like these.
So what do you suggest? neighbor dog break out and kill the 4 yr old next door - just a hard luck situation? dog owner ent have no money to sue for. jail time? how long? In my humble misguided opinion, at least the law will have people thinking twice about whether or not they want to 'train they dog to be bad'.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »

I don't think it will be too hard to check the morgue records and see how many fatalities were attributed to dog bites in T&T. I would guess that the corresponding rates would be higher than in the US - more than 1/2 of all deaths by rottweiler or pitbull derivatives. The dog landscape different in Trini.  In durham, NC (and maybe even all over NC and other places I dunno) it is illegal to chain your dog if you aren't with it. In trini that is how some people dogs spend they whole life. Optimally, I would love for all owners to just treat their dogs right and cut down the mauling incidents so we wouldn't need misguided laws like these.
So what do you suggest? neighbor dog break out and kill the 4 yr old next door - just a hard luck situation? dog owner ent have no money to sue for. jail time? how long? In my humble misguided opinion, at least the law will have people thinking twice about whether or not they want to 'train they dog to be bad'.

How??  Have you even taken a look a the law? 

Right now you could train a pothound to maul somebody to death and the law would have no application.  You just arguing fuh argument's sake or what?  This is not a strict liability law, so if the dog owner takes reasonable steps to safeguard the public and the dog still escapes then there is no liability on the dog owner's part... yes, is a hardluck situation no more than if yuh keep yuh car well-maintained and it inexplicably malfunctions (brakes fail... axle breaks) and someone gets hurt in the process.  Of course in that situation the injured gets compensated by insurance... but the point is that there is no liability for the owner.  If you want to mandate insurance then it would have to be for all dogs, not just the arbitrarily designated "dangerous" ones.

You also mention going to the morgue and getting statistics... the point isn't whether those stats are available, the fact is none were used in drafting the legislation.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
Dis law beyond normal levels of dotish. If i didnt know better I woulda say is an Anand creation.

Nah d other super AG RAMESH LAWERENCE MARAJ. Nuff of d laws he past neded 2 fix. Imagne act as simple as the Local School Boards Hazel had 2 ammend.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »

Nah d other super AG RAMESH LAWERENCE MARAJ. Nuff of d laws he past neded 2 fix. Imagne act as simple as the Local School Boards Hazel had 2 ammend.

.......and de country bookie just take it off de shelf, dotish as it is, dust it off and asking de Prez to proclaim it.......unbelievable!!.... ::) ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
I not in favor of breed specific legislation and i agree that the law is seriously flawed... I also agreed that irresponsible owners should be punished and the law should have been constructed to reflect such.

However....

These pitbull owners who try to portray their pets as a most loving, loyal breed incapable of violence need to stop taking people for ass...

I never see or hear about a pothound that trip off and turn beast with the kinda ferocity and venom like pitbulls commonly do. And when a pitbull do trip is a totally different kinda scene, it have no reasoning with it, it have no stand down, is straight killing machine yuh dealing with. A pothound might rush yuh, yuh might hold a bite from a shepherd, but dem dogs not going for yuh neck.

I had a situation some years ago, about 6am a morning i sleeping and hearing my dogs barking like crazy.. When i gone outside to check its because 2 pitbulls from a house down the street get away, reach in my yard and ripping one of my dog to pieces. My next dog (German Shepherd) watching this and going crazy and want to run in the melee.. I trying to hold back the shepherd, same time i throwing big stone and water and trying to pelt cutlass blade... Nothing would make them dogs let up..

Somehow the dog that was being attacked get away and make a run for it and 2 of them take off behind him running around the house.. So now i hadda run in the store room wid the shepherd and lock myself up with these beasts running amok in my yard.. Eventually my dog get away by scaling the gate into the back porch, but then these 2 bloodthirsty pits now roaming my yard.

The owner reach about 5 minutes after all this trying to get them under control, and dem dogs in a zone where they can't respond they just on killing.. Dem pits getting shout at, lash wid a big log, water and they eh feeling a thing. Eventually about half hour after she get them to run back home.

Now after all this, my dog succumbed to the injuries and had to be put to sleep.. And this with nothing more than ah hard luck and a shrug from the owner who blame it on the gardener leaving the back gate open.

What affect me the most about that is that my moms does water plants all 6 in the morning, all i could think about is if that situation turned out differently. Imagine if was my moms out there that get attack.

The bottom line is, IS ALWAYS A PITBULL featuring in dem kinda mad scene.. I've seen pitbulls attack their owners in a fit of rage forgetting all loyalty built over a number of years. The thing is, in addition to the force they are capable of, that particular breed of dog have a serious tendency to trip more than any other breed i know. And i aint need a dog breeder or a study to tell me different.

Flawed as the legislation might be, I for one glad... The less pitbull i see the better.

All who protesting need to find something else to breed.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
Pitbulls were bred for dog fighting. Their "gameness" ie...a reluctance to back down is one of the main traits that they strove for in breeding them historically. Which is why when one escapes its dangerous....other dogs barking at it can easily incite it to lose control.

I personally dont think pits should ever get aggression training....the control factors are too much. A simple thing like holding the collar in the wrong way (ie one way for control..another way prefacing a command to attack) can happen in a split second.

However the loyalty of the breed is known. Once they set in a gear and know who is the boss...they submit.

A pit is not a toy. It takes responsibility...much more than many people able or ready to deal with.

And there is the problem. The owner.

Like with that story there.....no dog should ever be allowed to go outside..and even if an opportunity presents itself...it should have been trained not to. If a dog has no appreciation of where its territory is...then it would be prone to treat every one as an intruder. Electric leashes are a good option as well as other training methods.

But again...people dont think or recognize how much thought and planning needed for this breed. Having a fence where it can be seen and provoked by other dogs is another problem. In fact being seen or provoked by humans ( like idiotic school children for example) is a problem. And then when the dog reacts or breaks out.....the poor dog has to be put down..because people dont know or understand that you treat all animals with respect.

All dogs capable of tripping off. What makes a pitbull so dangerous is its gameness...it bites and holds....other dogs would bite multiple times. Beating or hitting the dog to make it let go would make it hold on more. What you need to do is get a stick (a bully stick..which all owners should have..) and use that to pry open the dog's jaw. When the owner does that the dog recognizes its time to let go and it would.
But when in panic....and faced with a situation which you never prepared for....how do you expect that to really happen?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »
My brother and I fall out bad, bad, bad late last year because he decide of aaaaaallll the breed of dogs on the planet he wanted a pit bull to guard his property.  De place eh fence, he does hardly be home, he have a 3 year old chile who unpredictable as children his age are, my mother always at home so it would be she and this beast if it get away.

Ah cuss, ah cuss, ah cuss, and den ah cuss some more.  Ah try all kinda how to talk some sense into de man.  He insist that because some one of he friends have pit bull and once dey trained dey not dangerous, he must get one one too.  Ah cuss some more......ah recruit all kinda a family members to help mih in mih cause cuz all I picturing is one day this beast get away and is my poor mother and/or he own child it attacking.  Ah cuss some more.

I eh know what make him back down cuz the next thing I know I went home one day and I saw a rottweiler in the yard.   I was planning for that blasted pit bull......nothing a ham bone couldn't cure......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
Brown Sugar - Not too long ago Rotts had the same reputation as Pits. 

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
People acting as though Pitbulls are this powder keg waiting to go off ("trip off") at any moment, for no reason at all.  I honestly don't know 'cause I ent no dog psychologist.  My years of expertise garnered from watching 'Dog Whisperer' on NatGeo makes me believe this is nonsense.  That aside... which dogs would be most likely to "trip off" other than the ones rescued from Vick's property 6 years ago?  Yet the vast majority have been rehabilitated, are well-adjusted and have found adoptive homes.  Imagine then the dog's who have not undergone such emotional trauma?  This is why there is greater need for education when it comes to these dogs.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
Brown Sugar - Not too long ago Rotts had the same reputation as Pits. 

My brother insisted on owning one of these animals.  Somehow, mentally, I could live with the Rott....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »
People acting as though Pitbulls are this powder keg waiting to go off ("trip off") at any moment, for no reason at all.  I honestly don't know 'cause I ent no dog psychologist.  My years of expertise garnered from watching 'Dog Whisperer' on NatGeo makes me believe this is nonsense.  That aside... which dogs would be most likely to "trip off" other than the ones rescued from Vick's property 6 years ago?  Yet the vast majority have been rehabilitated, are well-adjusted and have found adoptive homes.  Imagine then the dog's who have not undergone such emotional trauma?  This is why there is greater need for education when it comes to these dogs.

Bakes yuh mad or wah? Yuh want people to believe facts? No the dogs are evil and just trip out even if they are owned by good responsible owners who show them love and don't just chain them up and leave them out in the rain and hot sun.
Train the dogs to be aggressive they will be aggressive and that can literally come back to bite yuh in the ass. Treat them with love and they are fun lovely dogs.
Have had dogs all my life, pops even left me in my crib as a baby to go look for one of our dogs that ran away. Mums wasn't too pleased when she came home to find me home alone sleeping in the crib.
I must confess pitbulls do make me nervous because I also grew up with the hype of them being bad dogs. Only recently I seen how fun and playful they can be with the right owners.
However seeing how Trinis treat their dogs, more than half probably shouldn't own a fish far less a dog
Back in Trini...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
Another thing NYTrini... as yuh mention dem making yuh nervous.  Animals have a sixth sense where this is concerned, the thing is that they can pick up on this nervousness, and even worse, when yuh make eye contact with them.  They will either (all dogs) take this as a challenge, or even worse, see the fear in yuh eyes and immediately realize they have 'power' over yuh.  Unless they being aggressive with yuh yuh have to ignore them and pretend like they not even there, most dogs will approach you to sniff you and see what's up... after that, and especially if yuh with one ah dey family members they'll leave you alone. 

If yuh's ah stranger by yuhself just be on yuh guard but doh be timid.  One on one with a dog a human should never lose... but for fear and mental paralysis.  Unlike a bear or big cat etc which has claws that can harm you... all a dog has is it's jaws, and if you think about it, it's not that hard to keep its head away from you.

p.s. ah know some might want to latch onto it looking fuh talk... the Dog Whisperer expertise talk was said tongue in cheek.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
A solution to any perceived issues with pit bulls and other potentially aggressive dogs ...

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=56875.msg801477#msg801477

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »

Bakes yuh mad or wah? Yuh want people to believe facts? No the dogs are evil and just trip out even if they are owned by good responsible owners who show them love and don't just chain them up and leave them out in the rain and hot sun.
Train the dogs to be aggressive they will be aggressive and that can literally come back to bite yuh in the ass. Treat them with love and they are fun lovely dogs.
Have had dogs all my life, pops even left me in my crib as a baby to go look for one of our dogs that ran away. Mums wasn't too pleased when she came home to find me home alone sleeping in the crib.
I must confess pitbulls do make me nervous because I also grew up with the hype of them being bad dogs. Only recently I seen how fun and playful they can be with the right owners.
However seeing how Trinis treat their dogs, more than half probably shouldn't own a fish far less a dog

That right there is the crux of the matter...

The context of owning a dog in Trinidad is not the same as owning a dog in the States or Europe. Its like when i watch Dog Whisperer, all i could think about is i would love to see Cesar come here and try to reason with ah pothound lol.

The culture here is basically a dog is to just have in the yard to eat the leftovers once a day and play with in free time. Whether is a big dog for protection or a pompek for pet, it is no big differentiation as to how the dog is kept. Just the concept of walking a dog every day or picking up shit behind a dog or buying a proper collar and leash is completely alien. Train yuh dog to shit in the yard and not in the house and that is pretty much the sum total of dog training.

By and large, people put far less effort and emphasis on taking care and responsibility of their pets, and also they are not legislated to do so. Only a minority of people here bother to invest in a qualified trainer to properly train a dog, frequent the vet and buy proper dog food and supplies etc. And this minority is for the most part the people who are dog aficionados enough to make them buy a purebreed dog and then put the effort into it.

Thats why I feel a pitbull here is not a pitbull abroad as people abroad take more care and pay more attention to training. We can agree that the nature of that breed is that it requires an elevated level of attention and training, but its just not something that the typical dog owner in Trinidad willing to give. It is a high maintenance breed failing which it is more likely to be unpredictable, prone to aggression and dangerous.

So yeah i'm sorry that Peter, the responsible pitbull owners who are in the minority, has to feel it.... But when i think of how much youthman Paul it have out here coasting in the road with dey pitbull trying to frighten innocent people under bad man vibes and coaching aggression, i have no grouse with one paying for the other.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »
Funny how so much of the focus of people's concerns is on the owners... yet we banning pitbulls. Lol, yet some locals bristle when others call dem backwards.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
Funny how so much of the focus of people's concerns is on the owners... yet we banning pitbulls. Lol, yet some locals bristle when others call dem backwards.

Bakes I agree. The dog and owner come like a package. You can't have one without the other. A pit bull is ah different breed of canine. It does bit first and think after(that is if it does think at all). The new breed of Trini men  going thru ah strong streak of irresponsibility. They can't manage themselves, farless them dogs.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
.....nothing a ham bone couldn't cure......

:o :o

Lawd,,your future husband better never make no kinda argument wit you atall
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
Cabinet accepts new Dangerous Dogs guidelines
Wednesday 6th June, 2012

Cabinet has reviewed and accepted the Position Paper of the Law Reform Commission on the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Speaking at the Post Cabinet Media Briefing, Attorney General, Mr. Anand Ramlogan, noted that this Position Paper is different in its policy, scope and intent. He said the Government is hoping to strike a balance between public safety and the Constitutional Right of citizens to own and keep a pet of their choice.

"It does not aim to prohibit and eliminate certain specific breeds of dogs but what it aims for is responsible management, ownership, and control of dogs. That legislation seeks to promote and ensure public safety with an accent on responsible ownership and control of dogs. We seek to categorise dogs in Class A and Class B."

The Attorney General said Class A deals with dogs that are traditionally known to display violent or aggressive behaviour, while Class B deals with other dogs that do not demonstrate such behaviour. He also stated that certain dogs will be banned from some public places such as shopping malls and parks, whether or not they are muzzled or leashed.

The Attorney General said there will be insurance coverage up to a limit of $250,000 per dog.

"That is important because when people have been attacked, the cry for justice has been one that has fallen on deaf ears in terms of compensation."

The Paper proposes a Registration and Licensing System for dogs that fall in Class A which would be valid for a two-year period.

"No such license will be issued to anyone under 18 years of age and if you own more than two dogs, the license fee will go up progressively on a tiered basis. If the dog is spayed or neutered, consideration may be given to a reduction in the licensing fee. If the Class A dog is in a public place as indicated, whether it is the beach or the road, it would have to be properly muzzled. The property will have to be fenced to meet certain stipulated requirements and specifications."

AG Ramlogan said the Paper has also rectified an area in the legislation that deals with dogs that belong to the Protective Services and private security firms.

Class A dogs will have to undergo training which the AG said is mandatory.

"So you if you want to own a dangerous dog, you must not only meet the fencing requirements, you must not only have insurance in place, but you have to get that dog trained. That will be a mandatory requirement."

The AG said there will be heavy fines and penalties for those who break the rules, repeat offenders will have the dogs taken away and there may even be a term of imprisonment to follow.

"With regard to the destruction of dogs, we will have veterinarians that are enlisted to euthanise. Where a mauling takes place or a dog attacks someone, there are provisions on how one should deal with that dog. Of course, special consideration may be given to extra compensation in the event that the victim suffers personal injuries that are so grievous that $250,000 insurance may not be adequate."

AG Ramlogan said persons who wish to own a dangerous dog will now have a legal duty to ensure that they take responsibility for having such a dog.

The revised Bill will have to be drafted first and then debated in both Houses of Parliament before it can be passed and proclaimed. The Attorney General said it will not be ready before the end of this session of Parliament.

Meanwhile, the Trinidad And Tobago Canine Advocates group welcomed the news by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan that Government will not go ahead with the Dangerous Dogs Act of 2000.

However, Vice President of the TTCA, Mr. Jean Claude Al-Jmayel, said the organisation cannot say more until they see the new proposals. He also said the group will go ahead with its education campaign.

http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=42216
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Improvement.

However what would be the point of classification? Is it that Class A require insurance and Class B doesnt? Or lower insurance premium values or such?

What would then happen if a class B dog attacks someone?

However I hope they have more dialog on this and come up with the best solution.

1]; } ?>