March 28, 2024, 01:50:54 PM

Author Topic: WHY IS THIS STILL A PROBLEM LOUD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS  (Read 14916 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: WHY IS THIS STILL A PROBLEM LOUD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »
nothing a ham bone with some gramoxone cant solve..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
nothing a ham bone with some gramoxone cant solve..

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 12:13:31 AM »
Petit Bourg pit bulls on the rampage >:(
Alicia Llanos
Published: 4 Jun 2010

Pitbull attack victim Jill-Ann Jerome shows the wounds she sustained.

Pitbull attack victim Jill-Ann Jerome wants harsher penalties meted out to irresponsible pitbull owners. Speaking to the T&T Guardian yesterday, a bandaged and teary-eyed Jerome said there ought to be harsher penalties against pitbull owners whose dogs have severely wounded members of the public. Jerome was attacked by two pitbulls on Wednesday night just a few houses from where she lives at Petit Bourg.

She says she was returning from a store close to 6.45 pm when two pitbulls belonging to a family in the area attacked her. Jerome said one dog latched on to her right arm and the other on to her left bosom. Neighbours came out and tried to assist her, but could not get the two dogs off of her. Jerome said eventually a motorist drove into one of the dogs, causing both of them let go of her and flee...http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/06/04/petit-bourg-pit-bulls-rampage
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:17:30 AM by Babalawo »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »
She said she was taken to a nearby health centre where her wounds, which cover most of her left chest, were treated. Jerome lodged a report with the San Juan police. She says the keepers of the dogs told the police that the dogs were neither insured nor registered and belong to their son who was not around. Jerome claims the owners of the dogs do not have an enclosed yard and also have eight others.

Steups. 2 Pitbulls...10 dogs total..and no enclosed yard. Buh nah..is de pitbull fault.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »
4-year-old boy mauled by dogs...Pre-schooler fights for life at Sando hospital

VIDEO: http://www.guardian.co.tt/content/wen7boymp4
---------------------

Published: Thu, 2011-04-14 21:10
Sascha Wilson

Ezekiel Renne Cambridge, four, who is in a critical condition after being mauled by two dogs near his Palmiste home on Tuesday night. Ezekiel Renne Cambridge, 4, is fighting for his life at San Fernando General Hospital after he was brutally mauled by two German shepherd dogs, while walking with his grandmother in Palmiste, South Trinidad, on Tuesday night. The ferocious dogs tore into Ezekiel’s abdomen and back before a neighbour used a piece of iron to fend them off. The boy was taken to hospital where he underwent emergency surgery. He is now hooked up to a ventilator in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Doctors say his condition is critical.

This is the second time in approximately one year that the dogs,  two-year-old Hanszo and nine-month- old Joze, have attacked a child. They also attacked another dog. Neighbours have been calling for their owner, Vidya Emrith, to get rid of them. Emrith, who described the dogs as family pets who were “very sweet,” said yesterday that she had kept the dogs after the previous attacks because she thought she could control them. “Now this happen... I don’t know why they attacked the child,” she said yesterday, before sending the dogs to a ranch in Penal.

Expressing sorrow for the fate of little Ezekiel, Emrith added: “In my heart, it is the most difficult thing to do, but if the law says to put them to sleep, I will have to do it.” At Ezekiel’s home at Crissy Street, Block Five, a relative, who requested anonymity, relived the ordeal. She said the Open Bible pre-school pupil was taking his customary evening stroll in the neighbourhood with his grandmother Yolande Peters-Renne at around 9 pm. The woman said Peters-Renne usually took Ezekiel and his cousin for a walk on evenings, but on this occasion the cousin was asleep and stayed home. She explained: “His grandmother was holding his hand. About two houses from here (Ezekiel home), two dogs came from nowhere and ‘raff’ him away from her.

“The dogs knocked him to the ground and started to maul him. His grandmother tried in vain, to pull the dogs off. A neighbour heard their screams and came out with a piece of iron and began beating the dogs,” the relative said. Peters-Renne ran to their home with the bleeding child and wrapped him in a blanket. His parents arrived as the grandmother was leaving with him for the hospital. The relative said Ezekiel lost a lot of blood and his intestines were protruding. “His abdomen was torn open and his back was torn open,” she said. At the nearby Cinnamon Court where she lives with her two children, Rachelle Emrith and Lawrence Pariag, Emrith was bidding a teary farewell to the dogs.

Expressing her heartfelt apologies, Emrith said she could not explain why her dogs attacked the child. She was not at home when the incident occurred. “I know it is our fault,” sobbed Emrith, admitting that they forgot to padlock their gate. She said her children only knew the dogs had escaped when a neighbour alerted them. “By the time my son got in the van to look for the dogs, they had already attacked the child...He was hearing the screams,” she said. Emrith said she felt terrible about the incident.

“Moreso for the little child. His father showed me the pictures of the injuries. I started to cry.” She said she would see that the child got the best medical attention. San Fernando police officers, who are investigating the incident, could not say whether charges would be laid against the dogs’ owner. “We have a report and the matter is under investigation,” a policeman said

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »
I sympathize with the owner... but them dogs need to be euthanized.  I feel terrible for this poor child and his family.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 02:10:26 AM »
Any owner found to be slack with there dog.  Put in a cell for 5 mins. with a Presa Canario
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 04:15:11 AM »
Ah cyar remember if it was discussed earlier in the thread and I didn't stop to read it over just now, but why hasn't the Dangerous Dogs Bill been assented to??

I keep hearing that it was passed by both houses waaaaayyyyy back when and is just for the President to assent and make it law.  So why hasn't that happened??   ???
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
Ah cyar remember if it was discussed earlier in the thread and I didn't stop to read it over just now, but why hasn't the Dangerous Dogs Bill been assented to??

I keep hearing that it was passed by both houses waaaaayyyyy back when and is just for the President to assent and make it law.  So why hasn't that happened??   ???

They do that wit laws 2 hype people up. Theyu neva sent it 2 d Prez so he cyah assent what he eh get.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »
Pit Bulls are banned in miami dade county Florida

The Humane Society of Broward County firmly believes that every animal deserves a good loving, lifetime home. Animals are not born “bad”, unfortunately they fall victim to people who train or teach them to be bad, mean, aggressive or destructive. This article will help you to better understand a very misunderstood breed, the American Pit Bull and the American Staffordshire Terrier also known as Pit Bulls.
A Pit Bull can make a great family pet, however, they are not the dog for everyone. If you think this dog may be for you, ask yourself if you are willing to learn all you can about this breed so you can educate people and handle the negative image and scrutiny when out in public. Also, ask yourself if you will have time to train, socialize, exercise and provide a safe environment for your dog. Finally, ask yourself if you will be able to make a lifetime commitment to this breed. Only through responsible ownership can we change the future and the image of the Pit Bull.
The media, newspaper, worldwide web and other forms of communication spread many myths about this breed. We’d like to help to dispel some of these myths in this article.

Everything You Want to Know About Pit Bulls
Myth 1: Don’t Pit Bulls have locking jaws?
Fact: No, the jaws of a Pit Bull are constructed the same as any other dog except for the size difference. What they do have is strength and tenacity when they grasp on to something. This is a common trait among the Terrier breeds be it a Pit Bull or Jack Russell Terrier.

Myth 2: Do Pit Bulls turn on you?
Fact: No dog “turns on you.” Some dogs after they mature might try to challenge their place. Spaying and neutering can help with that as well as obedience training. Remember, no matter what breed of dog you have, small kids should always be supervised and taught how to interact with dogs and animals.
Myth 3: Will a Pit Bull that shows aggression towards other animals go after people next?
Fact: People aggression is a totally different behavior than animal aggression. Although these dogs can have a high prey drive and they were bred to fight each other, they were originally bred to not be aggressive towards humans. The people who fought their dogs had to be able to reach in and pull their dog out of the “pit.” Dogs that did bite were not bred and were often killed. A Pit Bull that shows aggression towards a human is not characteristic of the breed. Not only is it inhumane to use animals for purposes of fighting and gambling but it is also a felony in the United States, whether you are the person fighting the animals, breeding them or attending the fights you are subject to arrest.

Myth 4: Are red nose Pit Bulls more aggressive?
Fact: Absolutely not. The color of the nose or hair is no indication of temperament. Genetics and environment shape a Pit Bulls temperament not the color of their hair or nose

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »
TC very good info there. Thanks.  But there is a caveat. the owners!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
people need to take care of there dog. seeing the dogs have a history of attacks they would/should be put down already. 
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
The owners is de usual problem. De fact that the dogs went outside means they had no sense of understanding of their territory. Under no circumstances should a dog be allowed to roam out of their yard. Things like that cause situations like these. Regretful....that the owners didnt learn the lessons from the first instance.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »

The owners is de usual problem. De fact that the dogs went outside means they had no sense of understanding of their territory. Under no circumstances should a dog be allowed to roam out of their yard. Things like that cause situations like these. Regretful....that the owners didn't learn the lessons from the first instance.

I was attacked twice by dogs bitten once on my hip and the other time the dog had a protector

on its mouth and that was a good thing because that would have been the worst  , if  is one thing i can say is the horror you go through when a animal attack you is like a nightmare that would not stop . Just thinking what these children going through rise my pause yes i said it  .ccidents.cc

Think about this your child mauled by a dog his or her guts coming out of the abdomen and the dog still biting into the flesh , your child bitten on the face and the other child bitten on the arm and the facking thing just happening on and on  and as usual knowbody cares  until it happen to them or their family. And to make it worse your dog bite my child and because I kill your dog you More vex and threatening me whoever you are should be in hiding , as Bourbon said  is the owners to blame and they should be made  to pay dearly.     
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »
Kill the dog and send the owner to jail for manslaughter.  U have killer dogs and you leave your gate unlocked?  JAIL!!!!!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »

They do that wit laws 2 hype people up. Theyu neva sent it 2 d Prez so he cyah assent what he eh get.
Suruj: Govt to take action
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Story Updated: Apr 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM ECT

The mauling of four-year-old Ezekiel Renne-Cambridge by two hybrid dogs on Tuesday night is a matter of "great concern" to the Government, Foreign Affairs Minister Suruj Rambachan said yesterday.

Speaking at yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference, held at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann's, Rambachan said the matter of dangerous dogs would definitely engage the attention of the Government.

"To see that little boy suffer the fate he did, when you read the description of it, as a parent, as a citizen of this country it was very painful indeed. And I am sure that it is a matter that is not going to go unnoticed," he said.

He added: "The Attorney General will be looking at it. The whole matter of (the ownership of) dangerous dogs is something that emanated out of the crime situation. But citizens must feel safe to walk the streets of Trinidad and Tobago. They must feel that they can do so without being mauled by dangerous dogs. As a responsible Government it is something that will and must engage our attention."

Renne-Cambridge is still fighting for his life and is still listed in a critical condition at the San Fernando General Hospital's intensive care unit.

Legislation to deal with dangerous dogs has been collecting dust for the past 11 years.

In 2000 under the United National Congress government, then attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj brought the Dangerous Dogs Act which was passed in both Houses.

But since then the Act has not been proclaimed. The People's National Movement Government took the position that the Act, which imposes a ten-year sentence and a fine of $100,000 on the owner/keeper of a dog which kills a person, was too draconian.

The Act only required owners of dangerous dogs to register their dogs and to take out an insurance policy.

It is noteworthy, however, that under the Dangerous Dogs Act, German shepherds and Akita were not classified as dangerous dogs.
  >:(
It was Pitbulls, Fila Brasileiro and Japanese Tosa which were so classified.

Jean Paul Llanos, of Guru Dogs, a breeding company and dog hotel, yesterday described the incident as "unfortunate". Llanos added that while the dogs are usually vilified, it is up to owners to be responsible and train and secure their pets.

"It is horrible that this happened," Llanos said.

"But the bigger problem is always left out. Had a proper containment system been in place this would never have happened. Owners must ensure that they have secure kennels or gates to keep their dogs contained."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
Any dog can be dangerous.

The mauling of four-year-old Ezekiel Renne-Cambridge by two hybrid dogs on Tuesday night is a matter of "great concern" to the Government, Foreign Affairs Minister Suruj Rambachan said yesterday.

And dis making it even more concerning.

Firstly they said German Shepard......then they said hybrid dogs.....i take that to mean is either mixed with Shepard or there is a mixup. However mixed breeds of dogs tend to be less stable, since a major part of dog breeding should be temperament. Mixing the breed makes it more unpredictable. For example, in parting dogs, pitbulls are easier to part since they dont bite and snap multiple times like other dogs...they bite, hold and shake. But most trinis feel dey could mix up breeds and make it a better dog, and could boast and say is half pit, quarter rott and all kinda ting when dat is just begging for disaster.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:36 AM »
Don’t always blame the dog says expert
Published: Fri, 2011-04-15 21:06
Yvonne Baboolal
 When aggressive dogs maul people, sometimes to death, it may be the fault of the owner, not the dog, United States-certified dog trainer Jean-Paul Ilanos said yesterday. He said so when contacted for a comment after the mauling of four-year-old Ezekiel Renne Cambridge near his home in Palmiste, San Fernando, last Tuesday night. Ezekiel was attacked by two dogs while walking along Chrissie Street with his grandmother, Yolanda Renne, around 9 pm. The dogs ran out of the yard of owner Vidya Emrith’s home. They ripped into the child and left him with his intestines hanging out from a gaping wound in his stomach.

Ezekiel is warded in a critical condition at the San Fernando Hospital. Ilanos, owner of Strategic Alliance Security Kennels, which trains dogs for security firms, said the major cause of those incidents that were now happening was that owners wanted their animals to undergo aggression-only training without socialising training.  Noting that aggression training is only one aspect of protection training, he said people were going to trainers and asking for their dogs to be trained to protect them. He agreed that the crime problem was behind that.

He added: “Obedience training is a part of the socialisation training of the dog and they do not want this.
“They don’t understand the importance of being able to control the aggression in a dog.” He said people with aggressive dogs who did not have proper fences or have short walls around their homes could pose a danger to other people. Ilanos said neglect of the dog by the owner, by having him locked away from society, could make the dog either shy or aggressive. He said attacks by dogs on little children had something to do with instinct. He said children were usually excitable and active and that caught the attention of the dog, whose “prey drive” kicked in and he attacked.

Ilanos said he believed the Dangerous Dogs Act, passed in Parliament in August 2000 after public outcry over several pitbull attacks, was never proclaimed because it would affect all owners, not just irresponsible ones. He said one of the requirements of the act was that an owner with a dog above a certain weight must have public liability insurance up to $200,000. Ilanos said what was needed, however, was a bill to deal with irresponsible owners. “Dogs are not really the cause. They are programmed by us,” the owner of 35 dogs said.  After the passage of the Dangerous Dogs Act in 2000, the then government said some $15 million was needed to enforce the provisions.

One year after, the government said it was awaiting the report of a steering committee set up to look into the act. Members of the public, who called for amendments, said the act was flawed in that you could get into trouble if your pitbull bit someone but not if your “pothound” or German Shepherd did. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, who was in Cabinet yesterday, said he would give a statement on the act soon.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 05:54:14 AM »
A bit on the legislation that passed in 2000....

Keeping it real
THE HUMAN ELEMENT - SUZANNE MILLS Sunday, April 17 2011

When I started the research for this piece, my initial focus was the Dangerous Dogs Act of 2000. I´d spent a great deal of time searching for the Act on the TT parliamentary website and so when at last I came across it, so bent was I on the legislation, at first the political forest was not apparent because of the tall tree standing in it.

The Dangerous Dogs Act had proved more problematic than usual to detect because it was one of an incredible 92 pieces of legislation passed by the Parliament in 2000, many of these laws requiring a special majority of the House. The list included impressive members as the Integrity in Public Life Act, the DNA Act, the Judicial Review Act and the Equal Opportunity Act. The DNA and Dangerous Dogs Acts were passed in the same sitting, one after the other. Caught in a relentless agenda three times the norm, laws passed in 2000 were sure to suffer from deficient drafting and insufficient scrutiny. Even if MPs had sat all day and all night that year, at some point legislative lethargy must have set in. The proof was in the legal pudding: several if not all of the main Acts of 2000 were later challenged and deemed unconstitutional, draconian or unclear.

The Dangerous Dogs Act 2000 would have been difficult to implement had it been proclaimed for it sought to introduce an elaborate, expensive system of registration and insurance, which would discourage co-operation from the general public, favour the wealthy and dump on already overwhelmed, understaffed and underfunded local government authorities, the responsibility for its enforcement. Unless money, training and personnel were provided for local government, the Act would never be more than a record of good intentions. It read like an import from a country which possessed an effective local government system and it would certainly be open to challenge in the courts because its steep licence and insurance requirements would force all ordinary citizens to euthanise their animals, yet place no limits on the canine ownership of the well-heeled, who could keep whatever number of dogs their deep pockets could afford.

It seemed the Dangerous Dogs Act was brought to parliament prematurely in extremely emotive circumstances after several deaths provoked public ire, one of them committed by the pitbulls of a prominent UNC financier. But moreover, 2000 was an election year. The UNC was seeking re-election and was determined to push through as much politically correct legislation as possible before the House was dissolved. The PNM –looking for an escape from opposition wasteland—must have felt pressured to lend its support to a large number of measures even though it rightly and repeatedly complained about the speed with which bill after bill was being laid and about the dangers of passing important legislation in the dead of night. Years later, when it took power, it would label the Dangerous Dogs Act draconian.

One of the additional dangers of a legislature assenting hurriedly to a plethora of laws is that as it flits from bill to bill, it is simply too overwhelmed to ensure their proclamation and application. Further, the country will never have the human, monetary and systemic resources to enforce all the new laws. The Dangerous Dogs Act of 2000 calmed tempers, nothing more. We should definitely outlaw or control pitbulls and other dangerous breeds as these evolve and emerge but we must do so realistically and equitably. We have to pass laws that work for all, especially for potential victims.

But the rich cannot enjoy a greater right to secure their homes and their families than the rest. If dangerous dogs are to be insured then the government must persuade the insurance companies to offer reasonable rates. Registration for one dog at the local authority should be much lower than $500 or widescale corruption and/or defiance will result. As for the ludicrous sections of the Act which empower local authority officers to inspect properties and to seize dangerous dogs, have we thought that special training and insurance may be needed for these men and women? They are not health inspectors. Who is suicidal enough to enter a yard with pitbulls to survey it or to capture dogs which have already killed?

When MPs in this Parliament revisit the 2000 Dangerous Dogs Act, as they clearly must, they have to keep it real. This is not an election year.

www.suzannemills.net

http://www.newsday.co.tt/commentary/0,139078.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, 06:03:36 AM »
‘Dog whisperer’ wants face to face with mauling dogs
By CAROL MATROO (Newsday)
Sunday, April 17 2011

Animal behaviourist Kristel-Marie Ramnath has offered to help in the assessment and possible rehabilitation of the two dogs which mauled four-year-old Ezekiel Renne Cambridge almost to death on April 12.

The child is now said to be in a stable condition after being listed as critical at the San Fernando General Hospital. Yesterday, Ezekiel was taken off of life-support and was breathing on his own.

Little Ezekiel’s attack came just five days after a homeless man was mauled to death by two Rottweilers after scaling a wall to steal in the compound where the dogs were kept.

Police have taken a statement from the German Shepherds’ (one dog was mixed breed) owner Vidya Emrith, who has decided to give the dogs up to a security firm.

“If we find that the animal attacks for a certain reason then we can rehabilitate. I would advise behaviour modification. But, if the dog is truly aggressive and a threat to the public, then it should be euthanised,” she said.

Ramnath said there was absolutely no excuse for anyone to own an animal that could be called dangerous.

Ramnath said any pet owner must realise that they are responsible for the behaviour and actions of their animals as they should be for their own children.

She said while dogs were domesticated and were known as “man’s best friend”, there could also be a sinister side to this relationship.

Ramnath said with the close association of dogs and humans in daily life, dog attacks were not uncommon. She added that animals, regardless of domestication, were governed by the laws of nature.

The homeless man had intruded on the dogs’ domain and were therefore protecting what was theirs. However, in the case of Ezekiel, the dogs had escaped from their confined area.

Ramnath bemoaned the fact that the Dangerous Dogs Act, which was still awaiting proclamation after being passed in the Parliament on May 12, 2000, was only limited to three breeds of dogs: the Pitbull Terrier, the Japanese Tosa and the Fila Brasiliero.

“How many of us in Trinidad and Tobago have ever even heard of the last two breeds, let alone own one? Any breed of dog can bite. All animals retain their instinctual, wild nature, however deep it may be hidden.

“An animal will therefore react to any perceived threat instinctively rather than logically.

“They do not possess the same capacity for reasoning that humans do and they live outside of human laws. It is therefore vitally important that we understand our pets’ behavioural constitution and their limits,” Ramnath said.

What causes aggressiveness in and attacks by dogs?

She said behaviour was shaped by a dog’s genetics, and aggression was a trait which could be selected for or selected against when assessing the temperaments of two dogs used for breeding.

Ramnath added that there was considerable debate on whether or not certain breeds of dogs were inherently more prone to aggression than others.

“Certainly, large-breed dogs are capable of inflicting more damage quickly due to sheer strength and size, but dogs of all sizes and breeds have mauled and killed humans and other animals. The onus lies with the dog breeder to practise more responsible selective breeding for temperament,” she said.

She advised that dog breeders should be registered with a regulatory body such as the Federation for Canine Registration of TT, or the Kennel Club of TT whereby rules pertaining to responsible breeding were adhered to.

Ramnath said a dog’s environment also played a major role and included human actions such as neglect or aggression training; and inactions such as carelessness in confinement and control, and not providing sufficient exercise or enrichment.

She added that owners must ensure that the animal could not escape the boundaries of the home as dogs had the instinct to defend themselves; members of their “pack” (human and animal); and their territory.

Ramnath noted, however, that what a dog perceived to be its own may not coincide with the property lines that the owners and the legal authorities recognised.

A dog may therefore see the street outside of its home as its territory and this was one reason so many dogs rushed outside to confront passers-by, particularly those dogs that were allowed to roam the streets, she said.

“The responsibility thus lies with the owner to make sure that the dog is adequately fenced in with no route of escape,” said Ramnath.

This was also the stance of certified dog trainer Jean-Paul Llanos, that it was the owners’ responsibility to properly secure their premises, especially if their dogs were considered to be overly aggressive.

“Proper infrastructure is essential. In this instance with the child, reports said the dogs hit the gate and ran out. With these dogs, the owner should have ensured that there was a latch at the top and bottom of the gate in case one gave way,” he said.

Ramnath said when first acquiring a puppy, this was the opportunity to raise it as a happy, well-adjusted companion. This also went for any animal one may own that was growling or biting or chewing everything in sight.

“It is never too late, provided you are willing to expend the time, energy and resources needed to modify your pet’s behaviour,” she assured.

Ramnath noted that in TT, there is no data on the number of dog bites occurring per year, and fatalities as a result of dog attacks were not recorded by the Central Statistical Office (CSO).

Both Ramnath and Llanos did not agree with the Dangerous Dogs Act saying that any dog had the potential to inflict damage on humans, with Llanos calling for owners to be more educated about the types of dogs they had.

On the euthanisation of dogs who mauled or killed humans, Llanos said this was definitely not the answer, adding that the dog be assessed by a professional first. He advised owners to stop taking their dogs for granted.

“Too often people become too informal with their animals and they need to take them more seriously,” he said.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
A child is fighting for his life and they are having this debate?  Sending man to whisper to dog and ting.  It seems to me that the life of the dog has become more important than the life of a human being in the eyes of the law.  More signs of Trinidad going down.  People need to start arming themselves.  You see a dog killing a child, go out there and shoot it. Or don't go with no stick go with a cutlass or knife and stab that thing to death. Let the owners come and get it after.  scheeuups

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
i just heard a woman was killed by pitbulls. wats really going on with dog control in tnt????????

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »
i just heard a woman was killed by pitbulls. wats really going on with dog control owners in tnt????????

Fix it fuh yuh... shit is ridiculous now.  Watch dem run and pass some ridiculous anti-dog law now.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
edingburgh 500 is where my aunt lives and i know it have plenty police living there too. i wonder if i know who it was

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 06:38:53 PM »
edingburgh 500 is where my aunt lives and i know it have plenty police living there too. i wonder if i know who it was

its a police man dogs that jump through a hole in the metal gate. The dogs have attacked people before. Real slackness. Somebody just lose they mother. stueps
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
Gibbs over 2 u.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »

its a police man dogs that jump through a hole in the metal gate. The dogs have attacked people before. Real slackness. Somebody just lose they mother. stueps

These piece of shit dog owners should be lined up and shot in the face. I have a soft spot for pit bulls, contrary to popular belief they can be a very gentle and loving pet. But if reared improperly they are ferocious relentless animals that will stop at nothing to annihilate an adversary. Anybody who has experience with them knows this.

They should make that popo roll naked in bacon grease and fight them dogs to the death, see how he like it. Like you said that is people mother, wife, sister, auntie and friend. Not in 2011.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:17:34 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »

These piece of shit dog owners should be lined up and shot in the face. I have a soft spot for pit bulls, contrary to popular belief they can be a very gentle and loving pet. But if reared improperly they are ferocious relentless animals that will stop at nothing to annihilate an adversary. Anybody who has experience with them knows this.

They make make that popo roll naked in bacon grease and fight them dogs to the death, see how he like it. Like you said that is people mother, wife, sister, auntie and friend. Not in 2011.

a civilian lose they life just so??. This is residential-neighborhood, not a jungle.  If that was my aunt i dont know what I would do. she lives right there... I more vex now cus i just saw it on Ian Alleyne, dead body, blood, lady crying husband and relatives, the police running from Ian alleyne cameras, and the dogs a dog. What that man doing with 40 dogs???????? Around five of them attacked the woman. This is not a farm, its a residential area i repeat.  These dogs and the lady in palmiste dogs must be put to sleep and owners must "make ah jail". I more vex i tried to tape the video but the recording didnt go through.  It will have a replay tomorrow at 6 on tv6.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:06:43 PM by Babalawo »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:13 PM »
But if reared improperly they are ferocious relentless animals that will stop at nothing to annihilate an adversary. Anybody who has experience with them knows this.

Zandolie, "if reared imprpoerly".  They can't even raise they own children, you expecting them to rear pitbulls properly.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
But if reared improperly they are ferocious relentless animals that will stop at nothing to annihilate an adversary. Anybody who has experience with them knows this.

Zandolie, "if reared imprpoerly".  They can't even raise they own children, you expecting them to rear pitbulls properly.

Yes I expect, society expects, that people who have animals will rear them either out of proximity of the general public or not so as to present a danger to the public. Same goes for these people children who worse than pitbulls. Its the same anti-social mentality creating both type of animals.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

1]; } ?>