April 27, 2024, 12:59:42 PM

Author Topic: Swine Flu outbreak in Mexico  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Swine Flu outbreak in Mexico
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/25/swine.flu/index.html

Mexico City on alert over swine flu outbreak

Story Highlights
Mexican schools close amid swine flu fears

Swine flu strain has killed dozens in Mexico, affected eight in U.S.

Officials say new strain has resisted some antiviral drugs

(CNN) -- Mexican officials closed all schools Friday in the capital city in an effort to combat the swine flu virus that has killed dozens in Mexico and infected eight people in the United States.

Authorities also closed schools in the state of Mexico in an effort to quell the virus, which has killed at least 68 people in the country, according to a statement from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico.

Other public institutions, including museums and government offices, were also closed in Mexico City.

Mexican soldiers distributed surgical masks to pedestrians and motorists in downtown Mexico City on Friday, according to state-run media.

President Felipe Calderon canceled a scheduled trip to the northern state of Chihuahua and stayed in Mexico City to address concerns on the virus.

"We know the seriousness of the problem," Calderon said. " I know that we will be able to solve this. This is our obligation."

More than 1,000 people have fallen ill in Mexico City in a short period of time, U.S. health experts said.

Health officials said they are concerned that the swine flu virus matches samples of a virus that has killed people in Mexico.

"This situation has been developing quickly," said acting Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Richard Besser. "This is something we are worried about."Watch how Mexico City deals with swine flu outbreak »

New York health officials announced Friday they are testing about 75 students at a Queens school for swine flu after the students exhibited flu-like symptoms this week.

A team of state health department doctors and staff went to the St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens on Thursday after the students reported cough, fever, sore throat, aches and pains.

There have been no confirmed cases of swine flu there. The tests results are expected as early as Saturday.

Eight cases have been reported in the U.S. since Tuesday. Besser said all of the eight U.S. patients have recovered. Watch for more on the U.S. cases »

None of the U.S. patients had direct contact with pigs, though a patient who lives in San Diego had traveled to Mexico, the CDC said.

Besser said officials had not found common exposure or behavior among the eight U.S. patients.

"We have not seen any linkage at all between the cases in Texas and California," he said.

The new virus has genes from North American swine influenza, avian influenza, human influenza and a form of swine influenza normally found in Asia and Europe, said Nancy Cox, chief of the CDC's Influenza Division.

Swine flu is caused by a virus similar to a type of flu virus that infects people every year but is a strain typically found only in pigs -- or in people who have direct contact with pigs.

There have, however, been cases of person-to-person transmission of swine flu, the CDC said. Officials found evidence, for example, that a patient transmitted the disease to health care workers during a 1988 apparent swine flu infection among pigs in Wisconsin.

Experts think coughing, sneezing and contaminated surfaces spread the infection among people. From December 2005 to February of this year, 12 human cases of swine flu were documented.

The new strain of swine flu has resisted some antiviral drugs, officials said.

The human influenza vaccine's ability to protect against the new swine flu strain is unknown, and studies are ongoing, said Dr. Anne Schuchat, the CDC's interim deputy director for science and public health program. There is no danger of contracting the virus from eating pork products, she said.

Canada is also testing samples from Mexico "and has placed a travel alert for travel to Mexico," CDC spokesman David Daigle told CNN by e-mail.

The United States had not issued any travel alerts or advisories by late Friday, but some private companies issued their own warnings.

"Public health officials in Mexico began actively looking for cases of respiratory illness upon noticing that the seasonal peak of influenza extended into April, when cases usually decline in number," said an alert Friday by the International SOS, a medical and consulting company.

Are you all thinking what I'm thinking??......I know people are ill and dying but......No Azteca, No Azteca...... :praying: :praying: :praying:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Swine Flu outbreak in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »
This is serious business and I wonder how FIFA is going to handle this outbreak as far as WCQ matches in Mexico are concerned. Possible measures may be to test all of the Mexican players for the virus and to move all of the WCQ matches to a neutral value.

I'm not sure how the logistics of these measures are going to pan out, but that seems to be the only reasonable alternative.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:03:27 AM »
the WHO says that it could turn into a pandemic, so I feel for them in Mexico
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i_AZWy_CmwkfQ17w1-rP99e3xZnwD97PH4480
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »
this thing is bigger than Mejico WC...with people traveling to and from Mexico to various parts of the world, they said it has already reached parts of Texas and other states.  i don't get much worry me but having witnessed first hand the effects of a mild flu twice over the past two years (i work with young children so germs are in abundance) i don't even want to think about a serious flu outbreak.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »
this thing is bigger than Mejico WC...with people traveling to and from Mexico to various parts of the world, they said it has already reached parts of Texas and other states.  i don't get much worry me but having witnessed first hand the effects of a mild flu twice over the past two years (i work with young children so germs are in abundance) i don't even want to think about a serious flu outbreak.
yes thanks
but Mexico is ground zero, so that is where most of the affected are as of this moment in time
I pray it dont expand its tentacles
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:13:43 AM by Werklmann »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
you and me both breds

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
It has spread into San Diego, so definitely must have cases in TJ. But it seems it does react well to normal flu treatment, so hopefully it's not too bad in the end.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »
FIFA should take the Zero Tolerance attitude and follow its statute sub section 14 subsection 2

"Any country where outbreaks of diseases and flu's are detrimental to the civilian population will be held responsible and fined.  Games that are to be staged by the host team will be forfeited and be awarded to the away team."
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »
NYC Department of Health had a press conference today after 75 kids from a prep school who went to Mexico all came back with flu like symptoms, so if it is this far reaching in this small amount of time, we might have a little more than an epidemic.

So far Texas and Cali on high alert, but now we talking east coast .... so how about Mexico and US forfeit their 3 remaining games.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
NO GAME IN FLU COUNTRY. A nuetral venue in Canada would do right Palos.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>