March 28, 2024, 11:12:49 AM

Author Topic: Ryan Giggs wins the PFA Player of the Year Award at 35  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Giggs wins the PFA Player of the Year Award at 35
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »
Ryan Giggs, in his 18th season as a professional, was finally awarded the highest honour possible by his peers, as he was tonight voted the Professional Footballers' Association's player of the year. The Manchester United midfielder described it as the "best" possible accolade, having beaten off competition from his club-mates Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Edwin van der Sar and Cristiano Ronaldo, as well as Liverpool's Steven Gerrard.

"It's right up there, with personal accolades it's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players," Giggs said. "I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies, I won the young player award twice but this is the big one."

Giggs paid tribute to his manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, who signed him on schoolboy terms when the teenage winger was training with the Manchester City Academy. "The manager has been massive in my career from when I first met him when I was 13," Giggs said. "That's over 20 years and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better. I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams, it's not even worth thinking about what it would have been like without the manager."

Some questioned his nomination, dismissing it as a nostalgic exercise, given that he has made only 12 starts in the Premier League this season, supplemented by the same number again of substitute appearances, and scoring a single goal – the winner against West Ham United at Upton Park in February, shortly before members of the PFA would have submitted their ballots.

Advocates would point to the influence Giggs maintains in the United midfield – developing a more creative game from a central role to compensate for the loss of his once blistering pace. It was from this central berth that he influenced the vital home victories over Chelsea in the league and Internazionale in the Champions League. His manager, when facing top-class opposition in crucial matches, still puts great faith in the 35-year-old.

The midfielder did not feature in Ferguson's squad for Saturday's 5-2 victory over Tottenham, so it is likely his 800th appearance will come in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final against Arsenal. Giggs has played more times for the United first team than anyone in history, having surpassed Bobby Charlton's previous record in Moscow on his way to his second European Cup last May.

Giggs is the first Welshman to win the accolade since his former Manchester United team-mate Mark Hughes claimed his second PFA award, in 1990-91, the season a 17-year-old Giggs made his debut in a 2-0 home defeat by Everton, replacing Denis Irwin. The next season Giggs was a regular on the left wing, the first of Fergie's Fledglings to break into the United first-team. He collected the PFA young player of the year award in both 1992 and 1993.

An 11th Premier League medal is likely to join the PFA award in Giggs' trophy cabinet next month, to go alongside winner's medals from four FA Cups, two Champions Leagues, three League Cups, a Uefa Super Cup, an Intercontinental Cup and one Fifa Club World Cup.

United have six players in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year but there is no place for the England striker Wayne Rooney. Aston Villa's winger Ashley Young picked up the Young Player of the Year award, saying it is a sign of the progress his club have made under Martin O'Neill. "It's a massive achievement for the club and my team-mates around me," Young said. "It's a great honour and I'm delighted."

Premier League Team of the Year

Edwin Van Der Sar

Glen Johnson
Rio Ferdinand
Nemanja Vidic
Patrice Evra

Ashley Young
Steven Gerrard
Ryan Giggs
Cristiano Ronaldo

Nicolas Anelka
Fernando Torres

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/26/premierleague-manchester-united

Congrats Giggsy...True Legend and Role Model

Decided to post this on the forum as he deserves this honour to be seen not lost amongst the Stretford End thread

on a side note it is a shame Wazza was not nominated... He has been excellent this season

and that c**t Anelka in the team of the year...give me a break

and Ireland should have won the young player of the year...he's been awesome but he is city scum

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Ryan Giggs wins the PFA Player of the Year Award at 35
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
Congratulations to him .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
Congratulations to him .

true...I remember when he was a speedy gonzales in his young days

btw what is dat heiroglyph ting?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
Congrats Giggs, it's been long overdue but well deserved. Keep up the great work your doing.

Glory Glory Man-United.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:38:56 PM »
keep up de excellent work mr. giggs.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »
Good goin Giggsy
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »
sorry to rain on the giggs parade but the truth is  truth . i am sure of all his 18 yrs this was one time when he was least deserving of it. he deserves it because of his  previous seasons ,definitely not on this season's performance.  this award seems to suggest that the players believe this is his last season.

all d best on a great career though. one ah best men to never play in d world cup
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
Deserved recognition for one of my favourite players. Full-stop!

When saying so, SM, yuh din hattuh sully de vibe by opining on Ireland and Anelka.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »
sorry to rain on the giggs parade but the truth is  truth . i am sure of all his 18 yrs this was one time when he was least deserving of it. he deserves it because of his  previous seasons ,definitely not on this season's performance.  this award seems to suggest that the players believe this is his last season.

all d best on a great career though. one ah best men to never play in d world cup

I'm not the biggest Giggs fan(especially over the last 3 seasons aka his old man stage) but this season since he's being used centrally its like having another paul scholes

If you watch Utd and the EPL like most do you would see why he won... The only person that could have gave him competition is Vidic

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
well done mr. giggs! :applause: :applause:

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »
Congrats......true legend.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »
legend 11
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:58:38 PM »
Giggs over Vidic - thas madness yes.

I love Giggs an all - but the award should go to the best player this season, and that's been Vidic.

Not only has he been the best defender in England (and probably Europe) - he's also part of a record breaking defense in the top team in the land. It's a shame that defenders don't get their due when it's time to hand out such recognition, they're as important, if not moreso than any other player on the field - and Vidic has been a rock at the back in all but the Liverpool game this year and the foundation of Utd's success (even chipping in with a few important goals).

There's no place for sentimentality in football - Giggs would be favourite for a lifetime achievement award - not as some retroactive pat on the back. Indeed, even Gerrard has significantly more claim on this title than Giggsy.

This award just lost most of its credibility, sorry to say.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 04:19:08 AM »
logical thinking vs emotionally charged.

emotional won this year
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 05:56:20 AM »

emotional won this year

who votes and decides on this award?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »

emotional won this year

who votes and decides on this award?

The players throughout the leagues. I don't take these awards too seriously becuase the voting doesn't make sense a lot of the times. This year is one of those years. Of all the awards this one is most like a popularity contest.

Very happy that Giggs' long career and his indian summer gets recognition but if it is a performance award it hard to give Giggs over players who have played much more and had more influence this season. Passing over players like Lampard and Gerrard this year is just as bad as passing over Giggis in previous years, when he was at his best.

But like I said it is not anything that people should take seriously or get bent out of shape about.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>